Start by marking “Leftovers” as Want to Read:

4.11 of 5 stars 4.11  ·  rating details  ·  36 ratings  ·  23 reviews
"Just like the Tupperware she sells, Vivian Lawson is destined to be an American icon. In this tale of heartbreak, failure, redemption, love and triumph, Arthur Wooten's gift for storytelling makes Leftovers a delicious read. I can't wait to read it again!" - Michelle Churchill, author of I Thought I Grew Up "I highly recommend this book for every household with a woman li ...more
Published April 7th 2012 by Galaxias Productions

To ask other readers questions about Leftovers, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Leftovers

Books-treasureortrash
Book review: 1 treasure box

Vivian is married to the man of her dreams, but her life is far from perfect. Before long everything falls apart, including Vivian and it is up to her to pull things together, with a little help from her friends.

Arthur Wooten has written several novels in a number of different genres. Leftovers is a drama told in a third person narrative from the point of view of the main protagonist, Vivian Lawson and the story takes place in America during the 1950s.

The story starts
Kitty Bullard
Book Title: "Leftovers”
Author: Arthur Wooten
Published By: Galaxias Productions
Age Recommended: 18+
Reviewed By: Kitty Bullard
Raven Rating: 5

Review: I have often wondered what it would have been like to live in the 50’s. I’ve heard story’s many times from my aunt’s and grandmother about how Tupperware was started back then and having grown up in a dedicated Tupperware family when Arthur Wooten approached me with the chance to read and review his book I could not pass it up!

Poor Vivian Lawson! This
Gregory Allen
I was lucky enough to read a galley copy of Leftovers...and I do mean lucky! Wooten has taken us to a place unlike the others in his novels. In 1954, Vivian Lawson is a down-on-her luck housewife living in a small New England town, who finds herself faced with a huge fork in her road at the mere age of 25. Wooten uses this world to launch into a true triumphant women's empowerment novel full of wonderful historical tidbits, delicious humor, and a cast of characters that pull you right in. It's t ...more
Nancy Silk
"From Famine to Feast...This Is A Darn Good Story"

This very entertaining story takes place back in the early 1950's, when women stayed home to take care of their homes, cook, raise children, and cater to their husbands. Vivian Lawson Hayes is married, has no children, and she is a total failure in meeting any of these tasks. She was a single child of rich parents, raised in a huge mansion, where four servants met the needs of the parents. Vivian only had one friend growing up ... another girl wh
Michelle Churchill
I always love reading Wooten's books, but I couldn't get enough of Leftovers. I devoured every page.

Just like the Tupperware she sells, Vivian Lawson is destined to be an American icon. In this tale of heartbreak, failure, redemption, love and triumph, Arthur Wooten’s gift for storytelling makes Leftovers a delicious read.

I can’t wait to read it again!
Shelleyrae at Book'd Out
Who knew that Tupperware could save more than leftovers? For abandoned 1950's housewife Vivian Lawson, Tupperware also saved her life. This warm and lighthearted novel is about a woman's journey from a timid, penniless divorcee to independent, successful woman. When her adulterous husband deserts her, Viv Lawson sinks into depression, eventually losing her home along with her dignity. Pulled back from the brink of utter despair by her best friend, Babs and Babs brother, Stew, she reluctantly fin ...more
Mymcbooks

My Review: I really enjoyed reading about Vivian Lawson, a 1950s suburban housewife. An inspirational journey about one woman who rose above marital problems and a heartless mother to become a very well know Tupperware lady.

Things started to fall apart one day for Vivian when she stayed up waiting for her cheating husband to return from work to celebrate their anniversary, only to turn up very late. In the morning, her husband Paul broke the news to her that he was leaving her for another woman.
Literary
I'll be honest ... When Mr. Wooten requested a review from me of this book, I was a little hesitant because of the cover. Admittedly, I am one of those who likes to be drawn in by the cover and then I'll read what it's about. If not for the quality of work that I am familiar with from Mr. Wooten, I don't know that I would've agreed to read this book.

I am glad that I did.

Vivian fell in love with a guy in high school. He was the ultimate girl's dream. Miraculously, Paul fell in love with her, too
David Hallman
Such a Pleasure

Beginning Arthur Wooten’s most recent novel “Leftovers” is like sitting on a shaded veranda drinking a gin and tonic watching a late summer sunset over the lake. All feels good with the world. The G&T is slipping down your throat so very smoothly. And yet, there’s a slight bitterness to the gin that catches ever so lightly in the throat and the chilly breeze brushing your face forebodes night’s arrival and summer’s end.

Yes, it may feel initially that all is well with the world
Arlena
Raven Rating: 5
Blog Review For: Great Minds Think Aloud
Review:

"Leftovers: A Novel" by Author Wooten was truly a wonderful
1950's read. I laugh so hard at so many funny parts in this novel and let's not forget the drama. Could this new divorced and dead broke homemaker have hopes of obtaining self-respect, financial security and a real love selling guess what?" ... 'TUPPERWARE'

Vivian Lawson's though
Carey Parrish
Arthur Wooten has done it again. His latest novel, "Leftovers," is a tribute to the American housewife of the 1950’s while also giving a tip of the hat to what the decades to come had in store for the modern woman.

Vivian Lawson is a woman left alone by a life changing event that robs her of her husband, leaving her to own devices during a time when the concept of an independent woman was exclusive to only a few of her contemporaries. Struggling to put her life back together, and make a living in
J.D. Holiday
‘Leftovers’ written by Arthur Wooten

LEFTOVERS is anything but leftovers! From beginning to end it has a neatly skilled and clever plot twist. You certainly don’t need to have lived in 1950s America to enjoy this novel. The settings and mores are all there for you to see in this well-written story about life as it was back then.
No matter what decades you’ve live through you might have experience some of what Vivian has. Through a mix of drama and comedy you see Vivian, a sweet and kind person,
Fran

Author: Arthur Wooten

Reviewed by Fran Lewis

Perfection is what everyone needs to aspire to if you want to be just like Vivian Lawson Hayes. Imagine being the envy of the world, a perfect homemaker, perfect wife and always looks pristine. The tour of her house alone and her furniture would make you jealous and her lifestyle would make you too the envy of your neighborhood. But, when asked where her husband was she explained his job was demanding and often required being available 24/7. Bu
Claire
This is a delightful book as a whole. I never normally add that think of talk to my sweeping statements but in this instance it's true. Broken down, it's almost spilt into 3 parts and I have to say the middle part was my favourite, when she moves into Babs place. At the start of the book, I feel like she is just really weak, can't cook (caused she's scared to), doesn't really clean, lacks self confidence. Paul is just a... a... there is no word for him. What he does to her. No wonder her spirit ...more
Oyster
Living the perfect housewife fantasy drives Vivian, like Betty, to her breaking point, until she decides to answer to herself alone, and take control of her life.
Sue Dooley
It was just ok. The story itself was pretty good, but it moved too fast at the end.
Karli (Typographical Era)
If you want a super light, fluffy, fairy-tale of a story, Leftovers will satisfy your craving. After all, the plot is fast-paced and the happy ending is painfully predictable, but if you were hoping for a real feminist perspective on domestic life in the 1950s, this book might feel a little underwhelming and (ahem) stale. Wooten's story is like an empty Tupperware container - a good framework, but no substance. Ok. I'm finished with the plastic puns now!

Read full review here: http://hookedbookwo
Nikki
I won this in a Goodreads Giveaway

Overall, I thought Vivian's rise from the bottom was a fun story, but there was just something missing. I have no issues with short books, but with short books you need to do a lot in a short amount of time and I'm not sure this book did that quite as well as I would have liked. There were parts that for the length seemed to go on a bit too long and there were parts that felt cut short and weren't as developed as I wanted them to be.
Ric Harrison
Wonderful book. Moving, funny and uplifting. Wooten has definitely done it again, written a book that makes me want more. I love it when I finish a book with a smile on my face. Not necessarily because of a happy ending ( which this one has) but because it was a joy to read. Thanks!
Angie Hardy
I won a free copy of this book from FirstReads. This book is about a young woman that grows onto a confident strong woman. It is a nice light read.
Jael
My review is a little visual. Here is the link: http://www.asiturnthepages.blogspot.c...
Kazimiera pendrey
this was a really great read it was both funny and heart warming i enjoyed this a lot and would strongly recommend it
Izabela Baker
Izabela Baker marked it as to-read
Nov 22, 2014
Angelene
Angelene marked it as to-read
Oct 26, 2014
Ash
Ash marked it as to-read
Jul 12, 2014
Rusty Schaeffer
Rusty Schaeffer marked it as to-read
May 25, 2014
  • Have a Nice Weekend
  • Familiar Ties
  • Shuffled Off (A Ghost's Memoir, #1)
  • Life, Motherhood and the Pursuit of the Perfect Handbag
  • Bombshells
  • Epiphany
  • Little Sacrifices
  • Beatitude
  • Love's Fate (Love Trilogy #1)
  • Even Sunflowers Cast Shadows
  • Never Dead
  • A Grand Deception (Gentlemen of Worth, #3)
  • Patchwork of Me
  • Orange: The Diary of an Urban Surrealist
  • Santa Baby
  • Three Wishes
  • Mama
  • Simplicity
Andrew Wooten has written for theater, film & television, he currently resides in NYC
More about Arthur Wooten...
On Picking Fruit Fruit Cocktail: A Novel Birthday Pie Wise Bear William: A New Beginning Dizzy: A Fictional Memoir