Start by marking “Dwight Yoakam: A Thousand Miles from Nowhere ” as Want to Read:
Dwight Yoakam: A Thousand Miles from Nowhere

Dwight Yoakam: A Thousand Miles from Nowhere

3.47 of 5 stars 3.47  ·  rating details  ·  45 ratings  ·  12 reviews
From his formative years playing pure, hardcore honky-tonk for mid-'80s Los Angeles punk rockers through his subsequent surge to the top of the country charts, Dwight Yoakam has enjoyed a singular career. An electrifying live performer, superb writer, and virtuosic vocalist, he has successfully bridged two musical worlds that usually have little use for each other--commerc...more
Paperback, First, 221 pages
Published March 15th 2012 (first published January 1st 2012)

To ask other readers questions about Dwight Yoakam, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Dwight Yoakam

Dy-an
There were many great quotes right off the beginning such as, "This meant male critics felt compelled to make some reference, usually disparaging his skintight jeans and twitching butt, which he turned to the audience too often for the comfort of some" (The 'some' would not be this girl!) or, "Dwight's mind is more analytical, even philosophical, as he frequently seems to be heading down five different speculative highways at ninety miles per hour...".

That being said, this book fizzles like a ch...more
Basanja
For such an interesting subject (Dwight Yoakam) the author writes this book like a due at the last second research paper. The books is primarily more about the music business than what makes Dwight...well Dwight.

Any long time fans (yes, I remember the Babylonian Cowboys) there's not any new real insight or information. Don't get me wrong, I'm thrilled to pieces to see a book being published about Dwight.
Paul
May 26, 2012 Paul rated it 5 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: Music lovers
I really enjoyed this book. I don't read a lot of celebrity or fan biography - but I wouldn't call this book a "fan biography" at all. I only came upon it by chance, and picked it up. I liked Dwight Yoakam's music back in the 80's and 90's but never really focused on him. I eventually had a couple of his CDs. I did always wonder how he managed to make "Honky Tonk Man" with such a driving gotta dance pounding beat and yet keep the original honky tonk feel for the song. I also have never be able t...more
John Branney
I have never been a fan of Dwight Yoakam, but after listening to Population:me, I decided to give this book a read. I was not disappointed.

I thought the author did an excellent job of portraying Yoakam's uniqueness in the country music industry, as well as his uniqueness and intelligence as a person. Yoakam marched to the beat of his own drum and sometimes that worked out well within the realm of the country music industry and sometimes it didn't.

As with many stars, they burn bright for awhile a...more
Herzog
This is in the wrong format. It's a book that is specifically about Dwight's music, not his life, relationships or thought processes. Consequently, as you read the book, you read about the music that he's recorded which is fine and, potentially, interesting. I'm not very familiar with his music, so the words meant little to me. Clearly, Dwight's career has ebbed. So, why not do the smart thing? Make this an e-book with links to all the music so that instead of reading words, you can listen to th...more
Autumn
Thin and repetitive analysis of Dwight Yoakam's music that seems to be based on one interview with Dwight, a couple interviews with Pete Anderson and a long talk with Dave Alvin. A valiant effort, but not quite enough meat on the bones.
I read this book as a fan and found it informative and enjoyable. It felt a little bit like a long magazine article, but when the magazine that comes to mind is No Depression, well, I don't see much to complain about. I came away with a better understanding of Yoakam as a artist and a musician - and with a need to put his recordings back into heavy rotation.
Todd
Not a bad read. Wish it had more about his personal life, but this was strickly his music. I knew a lot of this already, but a good start. Wish someone would take this book and insert chapters regarding touring or more interview material on Dwight.
Deb
Not a tell-all book, completely about his music and career. Interesting tidbits though, such as attending THE Ohio State University and some acting.
Gmh357
Need to be a Dwight fan to enjoy this book.
Major complaint...uneven pace.
Brenda Jo
Who knew? So many preconceived thoughts corrected!
Mary Lou
Reads like a lengthy magazine bio. Interesting, if you are a fan of him or that rockabilly genre. I was hoping for a little personal info on him but the biographer obviously left out all info about his personal life. I do love Dwight.
David
David marked it as to-read
Aug 06, 2014
Rania Agha
Rania Agha marked it as to-read
Jul 25, 2014
Sarah marked it as to-read
Jul 05, 2014
Cynthia Fountain
Cynthia Fountain marked it as to-read
Jul 05, 2014
Donnab
Donnab marked it as to-read
Jun 22, 2014
Owen
Owen marked it as to-read
May 27, 2014
Cyndy
Cyndy marked it as to-read
May 13, 2014
Sarah marked it as to-read
Jan 26, 2014
Lindy-Lane
Lindy-Lane marked it as to-read
Jan 10, 2014
Jacqueline
Jacqueline marked it as to-read
Dec 03, 2013
Fernando Elizondo
Fernando Elizondo marked it as to-read
Nov 22, 2013
« previous 1 3 next »
Kick Out the Jams Babe Ruth Helen Keller (American Legends) Rosa Parks The New York Times Reader: Arts & Culture (Times College Series)