Start by marking “Kreuzer Eisenstein (Der große Bruderkrieg, #4)” as Want to Read:
Kreuzer Eisenstein (Der große Bruderkrieg, #4)

Kreuzer Eisenstein (The Horus Heresy #4)

3.97  ·  Rating Details ·  4,739 Ratings  ·  148 Reviews
Nachdem der blasphemische Verrat des Kriegsmeisters Horus aufgedeckt wurde, flieht ein Trupp Space Marines mit dem Kreuzer »Eisenstein«, um den Imperator vor dem Angriff von Horus’ Armee zu warnen. Doch die »Eisenstein« gerät unter schweren Beschuss und muss sich in die Sphäre der Chaosmächte flüchten. Werden die Space Marines sich noch rechtzeitig befreien können?
Paperback, Warhammer 40.000, 432 pages
Published February 1st 2010 by Heyne (first published January 1st 2000)

To ask other readers questions about Kreuzer Eisenstein, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Kreuzer Eisenstein

Justin
Apr 23, 2007 Justin rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: The Primarchs
This is more like the books I've been wanting to read. Human drama is fine, military action is fine but want I want to read about is the Primarchs and this book had them. The primarch of the Death Guard was more accessible than others and spoke more than 4 sentences.

I found that the writing style lived up to or exceeded the other novels in this series and Swallow really redeemed himself from the Blood Angels books.

The strongest scenes in the book were towards the middle where you know those lo
David Guymer
Jul 11, 2016 David Guymer rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
It was with some horror that I started this book and realised that I'd never actually read a Black Library novel by James Swallow, my experience of him thus far restricted to a few Blood Angels short stories and his Star Trek novels. So it's fair to say that I didn't know exactly what to expect, but as you can undoubtedly infer from the star rating, I wasn't disappointed.

That headline rating does actually mask a little nuance because a bit like False Gods (which I also gave five stars) this was
Dan
Aug 16, 2007 Dan rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
All of the Horus Heresy books have astonished me with how much better written they were than I expected. It's still not high art, but considering how puerile and simplistic they might have been, I was very pleasantly surprised.
Madcrit
Jun 07, 2011 Madcrit rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: all who read the previous books
* The cover is great.

* The theme linkes perfectly to the previous Horus Heresy books.
The beginning is packed with action and centers on Garro (the main charakter) and his Deathguard brothers but there are the Sisters Sororitas and even Mortarion himself aswell.

* The middle is most statisfying especialy if you have read the previous books because now the storryline from Galaxy in Flames carries on.

* The ending is calm and leaves nearly no strings open. (if you are like me who thinks that most War
Alexander Draganov
Solid read in "The Horus Heresy", although almost half of the book retells the story of the superior "Galaxy of Flames". Here we follow Nathaniel Garro, one of the last Space Marines of the Death Guard, who takes a desperate flight on the spaceship "Eisenstein" in order to warn the Emperor of the rising Horus Heresy. Unfortunately for him, to reach Terra, "Eisenstein" must pass trough the warp and there the foulest of the Chaos Gods will rise unspeakable monsters against him...
While I was confus
Razael
Jul 23, 2015 Razael rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
So far, the best book of the Heresy that I read.
Milo (BOK)
Read the Dual Review with Lord of the Night Here: http://thefoundingfields.com/2013/04/....

“An awesome addition to the Horus Heresy series, Flight of the Eisenstein is a very strong read from veteran Blood Angels author James Swallow.” ~Bane of Kings, The Founding Fields

Having witnessed the terrible massacre of Imperial forces on Isstvan III, Death Guard Captain Garro seizes a ship and sets a course for Terra to warn the Emperor of Horus’s treachery. But when the fleeing Eisenstein is damaged
Jonathan Ensor
Occuring in rough parallel to the events of Galaxy in Flames, The Flight of the Eisenstein is the fourth book in the Horus Heresy series, and the first to feature the Death Guard in a major role. It follows the actions of a Death Guard captain named Nathaniel Garro and his escape from the Istvaan III Atrocity aboard the frigate Eisenstein.

First of all, I really enjoyed this look into the Death Guard. Their grim stoicism provided an interesting contrast to the more hot-blooded Luna Wolves who for
Mark Horejsi
After a certain amount of heavier reading in the last little while, I turned to something lighter. This is the fourth book in the Horus Heresy series, and it takes us away from the characters we have met thus far, perhaps because many of them are now dead. If you haven't read the first three books, or if you're not a fan of Warhammer 40k, then this isn't a book you'll enjoy.

If you are a fan of the universe or the series, however, read on, because this book fulfils a key part of the story of the
Robert Mattey
Jun 25, 2012 Robert Mattey rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I was on the verge of putting this book down until I got about halfway through it. The first half was pretty boring and pretty much rehashed the last book in the series. However, once I hit the second half, it was full speed ahead and action packed. I would even say this became my favorite novel in the series so far because it ends well, there is a lot of action and demons and such, and it kind of wraps up the previous three novels in a good way. Good stuff.
Andrew Dixon
Jun 12, 2009 Andrew Dixon rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Outstanding novel with some serious questions answered, potential for a sequel with this one.
Amanda
The Flight of the Eisenstein by James Swallow is the fourth book in the long-running Horus Heresy series by the Black Library. It follows the Death Guard Captain Nathaniel Garro as he witnesses the massacre of his brother legions on Isstvan III and his struggle to pass the message of Horus' treachery to the Emperor. It is a sister novel in some ways to Galaxy in Flames, as it shows the events on Isstvan III from a more distant perspective, and from the point of view of an Astartes warrior who ha ...more
Lex
Sep 10, 2012 Lex rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This is an excellent follow-up to the first three Horus Heresy books. The first quarter of the novel recounts the events as Battle Captain Nathaniel Garro of the Death Guard, along with his squad, meet up with the other Chapters, pre-Heresy. If you've read the first trilogy of Horus Heresy, then it's quite a good refresher, as well as a great buildup to what you're already expecting things are going to escalate to...but this time from Garro's point of view.

I think this recalling of events is ne
Jean-Luc
Jan 21, 2016 Jean-Luc rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Prior to the assault of Isstvan III, Horus' legions need to capture the early warning post on Isstvan Extremis. Nathaniel Garro, a straight-laced Terran-born space marine in the XIV Legion (Death Guard), is hideously wounded while leading the assault on the outpost's leader. He is assigned command of a legion frigate, the Eisenstein, while he recuperates. Enter Saul Tarvitz, the upstanding space marine from the III Legion (Emperor's Children). Realizing things are about to go horribly, horribly ...more
Ken
Jul 05, 2011 Ken rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
The Flight of the Eisenstein is the fourth book in the Horus Heresy series by the Black Library. This book takes place around the time of the tragic events on Isstvan III and tells the story of a group of loyal Death Guards and their journey back to Terra to deliver message of Horus's treachery.

Swallow does a marvelous job expanding on the character of Nathaniel Garro, who had a small role in Ben Counter's "Galaxy in Flames". For the past three books, the lead Garviel Loken seemed a little woode
Bob Cline
This is the fourth book of the Horus Heresy.

The first section is The Blinded Star. We follow Nathaniel Garro through some of the events depicted in earlier books until he is seriously injured on Istvaan III. He is placed in command of the Eisenstein and is troubled when ordered to shoot down a Thunderhawk, especially when he discovers that it is piloted by his old friend Saul Tarvitz.

The second section is A Sundered Vow. Garro and his comrades defeat the traitors aboard the Eisenstein and attemp
Michael Champion
I haven't reviewed any of the other first few yet but I'm loving every minute of the series so far, the pace is nice and steady in here as with the others and I'm looking forward to the next!
Garry
May 18, 2013 Garry rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: james-swallow
One of the best books in the series! The story is excellent portraying the creeping treason spreading through the ranks of the Astartes that will eventually culminate in the Isstvan III Atrocity.

The first part of the story introduces us to "Straight Arrow Garro", a consumate proffessional soldier with a firm sense of right and wrong. Garro later becomes a conflicted character as the reality of his world comes crashing down through the betrayal of those he once called brother. This first part of
Fabian Scherschel
Oct 12, 2011 Fabian Scherschel rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: scifi, warhammer40k
The Flight of the Eisenstein centres around Death Guard Captain Nathaniel Garro, how he came to avoid the massacre of Isstvan III and seized the Imperial frigate Eisenstein in an attempt to flee to Terra and bring news of Horus' treachery to the Emperor. It also features the appearance of Ignacius Grulgor and the first Plague Marines, a foreshadowing of what is to come for the Death Guard legion.

All in all, the book is well written an executed. This owes a lot to the character of Garro who is th
Dylan Murphy
The Flight of the Eisenstein was just as amazing as the first 3 Horus Heresy novels.
One thing I love about the HH(so far) is that the action and war take a back seat to character development and politics and such. Don't get me wrong, the actions scenes in FotE were god-tier as usual. The battle aboard the Jorgall(?) ship, Istvaan Extremis, the Eisenstein and finally Luna were amazing to read. Really fun battles, and I only wish we got to see more pre-heresy Death Guard because they seem like su
Ian Chinich
I liked this book. it's pretty much the Warhammer equivalent of Roque 1. you will understand that comment after you read it.

it wasn't as good as the last one and didn't have a lot of the slow dread which had built up through the previous novels. Instead, it took the events of isvaan from the death guards perspective. Though I think it could have gone a little more in detail into the death guards primarch who is barely described in any dimension. I did like the alternative perspective of other l
Wolfdan
Mouais bof. Autant la seconde partie est intéressante, autant la première, c'est malheureusement du réchauffé avec le tome précédent.
Aleksejs Miščuks
A wonderful tale that puts another solid rock in the fundament of the setting's lore. Action packed and with some lovely comebacks of characters from previous books.
Jennifer Risley
i had to pause reading while they handled the Betrayal again. it was still a little raw for me. But Where i love Tarvitz, and what happened. Now i have Garro.
Michael Brookes
Mar 10, 2017 Michael Brookes rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I've said before that I'm a huge fan of the 40K universe, and in particular enjoying the Horus Heresy series - well this has to be the best book in the series so far! It's well written and conveys the bleakness of the world well, and more than that acts as a kind of template for what I enjoy about the setting so much.

The astartes continue as superhuman heroes, but against foes just as capable, if not more so. The story tells of a lone frigate trying to warn Terra of Horus' treachery. The action
Javier Sánchez
Oct 28, 2016 Javier Sánchez rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Me ha encantado. Totalmente en la línea de la primera trilogía, que es fantástica. Debo decir que es un libro totalmente ninguneado ya que he leído muchas críticas que lo acusan de no aportar nada nuevo a la historia y de contar algo que ya se había narrado en los libros anteriores. Sí y no. Cuenta sucesos que ya conoces pero desde otro punto de vista y además te presenta nuevos personajes y nuevos conflictos morales y filosóficos que enriquecen mucho la historia y lo hace de forma amena y emoci ...more
Harold Gómez
Feb 09, 2017 Harold Gómez rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
excelente. el espíritu astartes en su mejor nivel. Es genial como los hechos de un libro van dando paso a los otros libros. me voy de cabeza al siguiente volumen de la saga.
Thomas Johnson
Dec 31, 2014 Thomas Johnson rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I have been told by many of my fellow Warhammer 40K fans that "The Flight of the Eisenstein" is not that great. To be honest, I am not certain how the novel creates that impression with them; I found it to be quite enjoyable.

The fourth installment of the Horus Heresy series chronicles the adventures of Nathaniel Garro, a captain of the Death Guard legion of Adeptus Astartes. He witnesses Horus' betrayal at Istvaan III, and leads the last loyal remnants of his legion to flee aboard the Eisenstein
Stokley
Apr 16, 2013 Stokley rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
The Flight of the Eisenstein, James Swallow

In this sci fi book based off of the renowned tabletop game Warhammer 40k. Battle captain Nathaniel Garro of the 7th company in Death Guard legion is given a rude awakening as he witnesses his famous leader Horus commit genocide as he fires upon his own troops in battle. Then to add to his treachery he brutally slaughters all of the artist on the warships. Captain Garro along with the help of the crew of the Eisenstein make to warn terra of Horus’s trea
Zaratoth
I liked this book. It had a good pacing, considering it was the fourth sequel of the series but, for the first time, it had a completely new protagonist, Nathaniel Garro.

I was a bit surprised at the abrupt beginning, but soon realised that they started a bit earlier than the events of the third book, in order to establish more the major characters and their relationships and standing in the legion. I found that extremely good.

The book continued with all the events that happened in the third boo
  • Galaxy in Flames
  • Age of Darkness
  • Deliverance Lost
  • Descent of Angels
  • The Horus Heresy: Collected Visions
James Swallow is a British novelist and scriptwriter. The author of New York Times and Sunday Times Bestsellers and a BAFTA nominee, he has written over forty original books and tie-in novels, as well as numerous short stories, audio dramas and videogames.

His writing includes the action thriller Nomad, the Sundowners series of Western fiction steampunk novels, Jade Dragon, The Butterfly Effect and
More about James Swallow...

The Horus Heresy (1 - 10 of 85 books)
  • Horus Rising (The Horus Heresy, #1)
  • False Gods