Start by marking “The Life She Left Behind (The Santina Crown, #0.5)” as Want to Read:
The Life She Left Behind (The Santina Crown, #0.5)

The Life She Left Behind (The Santina Crown 0.5)

3.27  ·  Rating Details  ·  535 Ratings  ·  49 Reviews
The Santina Crown… Royalty has never been so scandalous!

Heiress Angelina Carpenter traded in diamonds for denim–and the freedom to make her own choices–when she fled from her arranged marriage to Sheikh Taj Ahmad. Now working as a nanny for the royal family of Santina, Angelina can’t help but risk a glimpse at the glamorous life she left behind during a lavish party…and ru
ebook, USA Edition Harlequin Presents
Published February 29th 2012 by Harlequin Books (first published January 1st 2012)

To ask other readers questions about The Life She Left Behind, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Life She Left Behind

Fiona Marsden
May 25, 2012 Fiona Marsden rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: Anyone who loves to wallow in a classic series romance
Recommended to Fiona by: Mills & Boone site blurb
Sometimes it can be quite illuminating when you read the reviews for a book you've already finished reading. Especially the ones who give poor reviews. I can't help but wonder what they were expecting. Too short...yes it's a novella. Not enough character development...did I mention it was a novella? Too many tropes. Tropes...I thought that was to do with you know, a play on words, but now I find it is a sort of upmarket cliche. So there were cliche's in the story. Can you say series romance real ...more
Loraine
Apr 11, 2012 Loraine rated it liked it
I am writing this excusing a lot of issues because of the "novella" length. Honestly, it shouldn't have been because there was a ton of things missing from the story that a reader wants to read and needs to know in order for the book to really click. Examples: Character development (the story is pretty shallow without understanding the players), plot development (there was a beginning, a middle and an ending... that's all you need, right?), and a good climax (and not the sexual kind, either!). I ...more
Jenny
Nov 21, 2015 Jenny rated it really liked it
Short and sweet!
Cindy
May 03, 2012 Cindy rated it did not like it
I'm embarrassed I read this. I mean, just look at the cover. But it was a free kobo book and I've never read a Harlequin romance before, so, yeah. I used to see people borrow them by the stacks when I worked at the library so clearly many people like these - how bad could it be, right? Uh, bad. So, so bad. Now I don`t know what to do with the rest of the free Harlequins I downloaded from Kobo. Part of me says, read them, they were free. But, then I would have to come on here and complain about t ...more
Kate
Apr 27, 2012 Kate rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Because it's a novella, I can overlook some of the character development and conflict that was missing; however, I feel it would be been better to focus on a smaller/tighter subject/event/conflict instead of trying to condense what could be a whole HP novel into a novel that's about a third of the length. But, the novella achieved it's purpose as a prologue to the Santina Crown series by piquing my interest and wondering how it fits into the series.
L. (Climbing Mt. TBR one page at a time)
May 07, 2012 L. (Climbing Mt. TBR one page at a time) rated it it was ok
Recommends it for: Patients in the waiting room of their dentist
Shelves: romance, novella
Well, that was abrupt. You've got your patented Harlequin heroine who falls in love with a rich and broody man. You've got your sheik who knows how to do the heroine every which way til Sunday but doesn't know how to love. *Blink* Ooh, the story is done.
Vanessa
Jul 17, 2013 Vanessa rated it liked it
Chris
May 02, 2012 Chris rated it really liked it
This is a novella, so it's rather short but it's still pretty good. I really like the heroine, Angelina. She's very strong and she left behind a rather luxurious life because she could not stand to be an object to be bartered between her father and the man she loved.

I just love how practical and strong Angelina was. She's very responsible and did not runaway when things got complicated between her and the hero, Taj. This was rather refreshing since most HP heroines tend to run and hide when thi
Wendy Sparrow
Feb 19, 2013 Wendy Sparrow rated it it was amazing
Shelves: romance
I'll be honest that while I read a decent amount of romance novels--I'm not incredibly well-versed in Middle East modern culture so I can't really speak to that aspect of other reviews.

As for the story itself, it was a novella--very, very short and meant to just encapsulate moments in a relationship, and I think it did that well--especially for a prequel to a series. The characters obviously came from different cultures and had different expectations for what was entailed in a relationship, but
Laura the Highland Hussy

I haven't read a Harlequin since I was in high school, and you know what? They haven't changed all that much, which is kind of comforting.

Taj and Angelina had met a few years back, and fallen in love. Her father was a big time oil magnate who wanted Taj to marry Angelina to cement their business arrangement. Taj sees no problem with this.
Once Angelina realizes that she's being bartered in a business deal, she runs.

After creating her own life as nanny to
Elizabeth
Nov 05, 2014 Elizabeth marked it as dnf-did-not-finish
It’s rare that I’ll DNF a novella, but I just couldn’t make it past page 25. Why do I bother even trying to read a romance involving a Sheik. They drive me cray-cray on so many levels.
He’s a Muslim, yet he describes her as a petulant child on Christmas. And his insistence that they get married seemed premature. BUT, I’ll stop now There’s a target for these books, but it’s not me.
Lucina
2.5 Stars

german review

Für eine Contemporary Novella à la "Groschenroman" gar nicht so schlecht, aber auch überhaupt nicht außergewöhnlich. Purer Durchschnitt. Die Charaktere sind durchschnittlich, die Probleme sind durchschnittlich und die Handlung ist auch durchschnittlich. Ich meine, man nehme eine reiche Erbin und ein reichen Scheich, große Anziehungskräfte, einmal ungeschützen Sex, eine ungewollte Schwangerschaft und eine vermeindlich unglückliche Liebe und schon hat man das Rezept von "Th
Shawna Hansen
Aug 26, 2012 Shawna Hansen rated it liked it
As I read through the book, the style of the writing and the story brought back memories of reading my grandmother's Harlequin romances in the 1970s. I was surprised to see the publication date was 2012. This is a fun & simple romance about an extremely powerful couple - he is a sheikh and she's an oil heiress - who fall for each other for all the wrong reasons. She goes into "hiding" (working as a nanny for a countess!) to avoid being a pawn in her father's and boyfriend's worlds. The two s ...more
 Gigi Ann
Jun 13, 2014 Gigi Ann rated it it was ok
I'm so glad this was a novella, I just couldn't get drawn into the story. It is a part of my Nook library and I awarded it 2 dim-lit stars. However, it was a freebie book so no complaint in that area. I don't think I will be reading anymore books by this author.
Charlisa
Aug 05, 2015 Charlisa rated it it was amazing
Excellent introduction to the series. It gave some of the history of the family while not taking away from the characters who would be intertwined
Pam
Apr 29, 2012 Pam rated it it was ok
I haven't read this style Harlequin release since high school and now I remember why. This one was quick and I mean quick. I know it's says novella but don't believe it. Chapter one started on page 4 and the story ended very abruptly on page 52...that makes it what...a mere 48 pages? To me that's a long short story. Then there was an additional 20 pages of excerpts and other things. I have to admit I was annoyed.

Needless to say there isn't much time for character development and just when Taj a
Alixendra
Apr 26, 2012 Alixendra rated it really liked it
Shelves: favorites, nook-books
Allison
Apr 17, 2015 Allison rated it liked it
It was a nice, quick read. It felt like it could have been a full length book.
Elaine
Feb 25, 2015 Elaine rated it liked it
A little happy ever after story.
Tonileg
Mar 26, 2012 Tonileg rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: romance, kindle
This is a contemporary romance that mostly occurs in Europe and a middle-eastern country (perhaps make-believe kingdom?). This is the love story of Angelina Carpenter and Sheikh Taj Ahmad. This is not a Cinderella scenario. Angelina is a rich and educated from a famous Texan Oil family so isn't a powerless submissive lover to the Shiekh.
This was light romantic fare that I quickly read on a short flight between Germany and France. I got this free for kindle.
2 stars
Christine
Feb 02, 2014 Christine rated it it was ok
Short an boring
Joanne
Jan 18, 2014 Joanne rated it it was amazing
Loved it! Can't wait to read the series.
Carmen
Mar 08, 2012 Carmen rated it really liked it
Reading a novella forces one to accept a back story, you have no knowledge of. As a reader, I have a problem doing that sometimes, even with a full length tome(The Road comes to mind). However, for whatever reason, these two characters clicked with me, maybe it was the lack of subterfuge between them but, it was an enjoyable, albeit short read.
Julie (Manga Maniac Cafe)
Wow, I don't know how to rate this. Maybe 1.5 stars? It was too short to have any depth, and the characters have zero development. It features one of my favorite romance tropes, too, but there just wasn't enough here to satisfy my craving for a convincing reunion story. Maybe I will enjoy the longer books in the series better?
Jessica
Mar 09, 2012 Jessica rated it it was ok
Ugh. Hate it when the male lead is so completely undesirable that it makes any sexual encounter in the novella seem gross. Perhaps, if the story had been a bit longer, they could have made me like him a little better, but for now, I'm stuck thinking "so what if you're knocked up....find someone else".
Rebecca
Dec 03, 2012 Rebecca rated it liked it
This was a nice introduction to Ms. Yates writing. It's very short (only a novella), so some excuses must be made but I felt there was still good character development and an interesting storyline. I'll definitely be checking out more of her books.
Lenore Kosinski
2.5 stars -- meh. It was ok. It was a novella, and Presents books are short little reads already...so you really didn't get enough to get to know the characters and see them as more real, and not just caricatures....
Stevie Carroll
A novella to introduce a series of category romances. The story was cute enough, although it didn't tick all my boxes, but there were enough intrigues in the background for me to look out for the other books.
Shannon83
Aug 20, 2013 Shannon83 rated it really liked it
I read this book first before starting the Santina Crown trilogy, I think was a great novella. It was short but I did feel this story was well devoloped and it did the characters justice.
Karen
Apr 14, 2012 Karen rated it it was ok
This is another instance when I wish Goodreads offered half stars because 1 1/2 stars would be more accurate.
A formulaic, predictable Harlequin romance.
  • Strangers in the Desert
  • Trouble in a Pinstripe Suit
  • Monarch of the Sands
  • Heart of a Desert Warrior (Royal Brides #10)
  • Cupcakes and Killer Heels (Brothers & Sisters, #2)
  • His Reputation Precedes Him (The Lyonedes Legacy, #2)
  • Wyatt: Return of the Cowboy
  • A Christmas Night to Remember
  • Unlocking her Innocence
  • The Man Behind the Scars
  • His Majesty's Mistake (A Royal Scandal, #2)
  • The Sultan's Choice
  • An Offer She Can't Refuse
  • Girl in the Bedouin Tent
  • Sheikh with Benefits
  • First Time Lucky?
  • Bella and the Merciless Sheikh (The Balfour Brides #7)
  • The Tarnished Jewel of Jazaar
New York Times and USA Today Bestselling author Maisey Yates lives in rural Oregon with her three children and her husband, whose chiseled jaw and arresting features continue to make her swoon. She feels the epic trek she takes several times a day from her office to her coffee maker is a true example of her pioneer spirit. In 2009, at the age of twenty-three Maisey sold her first book.

Since then
More about Maisey Yates...

The Santina Crown (8 books)
  • The Price of Royal Duty
  • The Sheikh's Heir
  • Santina's Scandalous Princess (The Santina Crown #3)
  • The Man Behind the Scars
  • Defying the Prince
  • Princess From The Shadows (The Santina Crown, #6)
  • The Girl Nobody Wanted
  • Playing The Royal Game (The Santina Crown #8)