Out in the Field

Out in the Field

4.07 of 5 stars 4.07  ·  rating details  ·  640 ratings  ·  102 reviews
Ignacio Rodriquez, Iggy to his friends, has been dreaming about playing baseball for the Brooklyn Eagles ever since he was a boy. His dream comes true and then some; he finds himself playing alongside his idol, first baseman Matt Blanco, who is everything he dreamed of and more.

Matt Blanco is entering the twilight of his career, plagued by injuries and two decades of lyin...more
Published April 24th 2012 by Loose ID, LLC (first published April 23rd 2012)

Shattered Glass by Dani AlexanderArmed & Dangerous by Abigail RouxStars & Stripes by Abigail RouxChase in Shadow by Amy LaneWho We Are by T.J. Klune
Best M/M Romance Published in 2012
36th out of 599 books — 1,360 voters
Tigers and Devils by Sean KennedyCaught Running by Madeleine UrbanThe Locker Room by Amy LaneStr8te Boys by Evangeline AndersonHeart in Hand by salifiable
Best Gay Athletes
8th out of 199 books — 412 voters

More lists with this book...

Lauraadriana
This was THE BOOK! The one that I've been wanting, wishing, dreaming (and at times begging) for since the moment I discovered M/M romance. A baseball story, two professional players, one Dominican, in NYC, written by a true fan.

But it was BETTER than what I wanted, because I could not have come up with two characters as dear, engrossing, dignified and truly in love as Iggy and Matt, nope, I could not have wished for a better book than this. I LOVED IT!...I shall say it again I LOVED IT!

Matt Blan...more
Ami
Cole Riann
Jun 06, 2013 Cole Riann rated it 5 of 5 stars Recommends it for: Baseball Fans!
Recommended to Cole by: Lauraadriana
Second Read - 6/4/13 to 6/6/13

Review posted at The Armchair Reader for Kate McMurray Week!

I can't help it -- this is still my favorite book from Kate McMurray!

Matt Blanco is a Brooklyn boy, born into a crazy Italian family and famous as a top professional baseball player, nearing the end of his long career with the Brooklyn Eagles. He is also gay. There's never even been a rumor of his sexuality, though he's a perennial bachelor, because of his complete dedication towards discretion. If basebal...more
Heidi Cullinan
Okay, it would be nice to have a big old academic and intelligent review, but mostly this book made me SO GODDAMN HAPPY and nervous and excited and sad and tense and euphoric and giddy and giggly and all the things books are supposed to do. It takes a real problem and puts it in very real terms, and you ride their ride through trying to be out players in the big leagues. Or majors or whatever it is. I don't know sports but who cares, they were dear darlings, and I just wanted to wrap them up and...more
Gigi

Out in the Field was one of those books that had languished on my get-your-ass-in-gear shelf for over a year. That is a shelf of books I am 90% sure I will love, but I just need to find the perfect time to read them, preferably when I can read them in one sitting since I have a super scattered brain and hate taking breaks in the middle of a good book because I always forget stuff. Well, I had that opportunity last night and after reading two books this week that had absolutely NO romance in them...more
Heather C
I ♥ Matt and Iggy!

Why I loved it:
♥ It was sweet
♥ It was smexy
♥ It was honest
♥ It was real
♥ It had sexy athletes
♥ There was no ridiculous breakup
♥ It spans for several years
♥ It had a perfect balance between the baseball and the romance
♥ It wasn't too angsty
♥ Closet doors were opened
♥ There were some LOL moments
♥ A happy moment made me cry
♥ I couldn't put it down

5 Stars Recommended!...more
j  u  l  i  o
Swing Batta Batta Swing.

My annoyance with this built steadily from "a good editor would have fixed that" to "maybe they already did."

It began nicely; first lines are important, and of the three books I picked up last night, this one had the best.

Things progressed, and all was well—with an occasional niggle with repetition (they both taste metallic), or general tone (vaguely overwrought in some places, strangely lifeless in others).

To the 30 percent mark, I had a decent list of positives and nega...more
MsMiz (Tina)
4.5 oh what the hell 5. I loved everything about this book. There are those books that hit you just right in every way. That is what Out in the Field was for me. I could read about Iggy and Matt forever.

What I want to see now is a short of Matt and Iggy taking Tango lessons;)
Anna
GAAAAH THIS WAS SO AMAZING !!! Iggy and Matt were so fucking perfect together! Actually, everything about this book was perfect; I loved it so, so much! I was so sad when it ended, cause I could've read 100 more pages about them. Honestly, I feel like nothing I could write here could do justice to how great this book is so I invite you to read Lauraadriana's review, a perfect review for a perfect book.

The only thing I want to add is, never in my life I've been interested in baseball (never even...more
Simsala
3,5 stars

Unfamiliar with baseball the sports part was lost upon me but the touching how-it-should-be romance made it worth reading.
Kaje Harper
This is a wonderful story about two men who are forced to be in the closet by the pressures of playing professional baseball. Matt is nearing the end of a highly successful career, and Iggy is the newly-acquired hot rookie, when they have their first moment of "I wonder if he's gay; I wonder if he can tell I am..." across the locker room. From that moment their relationship develops in a slow organic way that feels natural and believable and sweet.

The baseball in this story is just about perfect...more
Natalie
LOVED it. Looooooved it. Lauraadriana's review says it better than I can, but basically this is the sports romance I've always wanted. Kate McMurray clearly knows her baseball, and balances it beautifully with wonderful characters, a compelling coming-out plot, and great writing. Highly recommended.
Nikyta *Miss Forgetful*
I'm conflicted about my feelings for this book. On one hand, I liked it but on the other I was frustrated by the lack of everything else aside from sex.

What attracted me to this story was the different elements within it. Matt and Iggy have a fourteen year age difference and I've always been fond of age gap stories. I also loved the fact this is based around baseball because I am a (somewhat) baseball fan. Add into it that these boys were both hot and intense and it makes for a good read.

Howeve...more
Monika
That’s it! It’s over! But I’m not ready for that I want more, that’s so not fair when you love a book that it has to end.

I loved everything about this book, Iggy and Matt were perfect, there was romance but I thought this story was more about the loving relationship between these two men. This was different than most m/m romance books there was no cheating, no real angst, no major fighting, no drama, it’s about 2 men that love each working at keeping their relationship the best way they know ho...more
Val Kovalin
Matt and Iggy are major-league baseball players (for the "Brooklyn Eagles"), who start a secret relationship. Matt is Italian-American, in his late thirties, and struggling with a bad knee. Nearing retirement, he has no idea what he will do next. Iggy is Dominican-American, in his early twenties, and a rising star in baseball.

Both experience increasing frustration with having to keep their sexual orientation secret, but they feel they have to in order to protect their sports careers. (There is...more
Nichole (Dirty H)
Oh, I get it! Out in the field.

So... three stars for this one. I liked it but for some reason the chemistry between these characters didn't ever ignite for me. It was an easy read and I didn't get bored or have to put it aside, but it just didn't quite hit the right notes.

This was more about Matt and Iggy coming out than it was about the romance. The actual "getting together" happened very quickly, so I think I kind of missed the falling in love stuff.

And for all the reviews touting McMurray as...more
Eli Easton
An excellent m/m romance. The love story and characterization were all here, and very well done. But what raises this book above the noise for me was the very detailed and realistic depiction of both men actually coming out to their friends and the public. So many romance books reach the point where the 2 guys have committed to each other but never detail the fallout of that, or the difficult aspects of coming out. This book was never truly angsty but dealt with issues in a realistic way. Very n...more
Chris
Excellent m/m romance about a closeted baseball player nearing the end of his career who's uncomfortably attracted to the new rookie star on the team... an attraction that turns out to be mutual.
Ajax1978
Just finished this and wanted to share a few thoughts. While I agree with those who think the book is unrealistic in the acceptance that the guys seem to find amongst their teammates and their fans, I also say, come on, it's a gay romance, not a doctoral thesis on gays in baseball. These romances, at their heart, are unrealistic from page one usually. I mean, it's nice to think that you'll look into the eyes of some stunning guy across the room and *BOOM* he's into you, has a tastefully decorate...more
Ery
I'm not going to lie. I cried. I'm not sure when a book last made me cry - Skaia maybe? And this one came out of left field; I was wandering along, thinking this was a perfectly good book, but lacking in a deeper level of emotion (WARNING: I'm an angst-junky- all commentary must be filtered due to my extreme need for some sort of heart-ripping drama and resolution). Then.... Bam! I'm crying. (sometimes Emeril says it best) I don't know if the rest of the book even rises to the level of slow burn...more
~~Dani ♥ semi-colons~~

Plenty sexy with two hot athletes, but: too much baseball, too much focus on the "outing" vs. the relationship, and too much angst. I would have preferred more build-up and sexual tension. I had envisioned these two dancing around each other a bit, lusting, questioning, but, no, they go at it almost immediately. I slogged through part 2 (I almost DNF); thankfully, part 3 provided closure.
MandyM
Nice romance but I'm not a fan of May/December relationships especially when the age difference is harped on so much. Both the characters seemed fairly depressed.
Anke
It took me a bit to get into the story, but then I couldn't stop. Sims' and Cole's reviews say exactly, what I'm feeling now.
Jaime
It was good writing, a good story but yet I found myself bored with it.
Kazza
I've hit the jackpot. In two days I've read three very good books, including Out in the Field. I wasn't sure about it because I'm not into jocks and, sorry, I don't like baseball. Fear not if, like me, you don't like baseball either; because it is so much more than a baseball book featuring two men as the MC's. Lots of good reviews here on GR's already, so my two cents worth follows.

When Out in the Field started I thought the language a bit simplistic but that was so wrong of me. What the writin...more
Angela Bee Bee
Aug 15, 2013 Angela Bee Bee rated it 4 of 5 stars
Recommended to Angela Bee Bee by: tara (borrowed)
Two sexy pro ball players keeping their hot secret and clandestine winks while out in the field. It's totally believable they can't come out, the way the game is right now.
the characters are likable and their chemistry is awesome. no guns though, or fistfights so...whateva.

The story is also timely with recent announcements of a gay pro basketball player, a gay boxer, etc.. I always google my topic before I start reading and I was pretty surprised to see a gay boxer proposing to his lover on Face...more
Lauren Lewis
Wow! This was an absolutely wonderful read! GAHHH! It was super cute and so amazing! Now I need to calm down a little so I can write a review that actually makes sense...!

I must say that I was kind of worried at first that I wouldn't understand much of the story because I know very little about baseball, but that really didn't matter at all. The story was still completely understandable and I loved every single page. It wasn't particularly short, but I still didn't want it to come to an end! I r...more
Dianne
I'll start by saying I stayed up until 2am to finish this book. The main characters of Iggy and Matt faced a whole host of issues, any one of which could have been spun into endless angst, let alone the combination of them all. The 13 year age difference;Iggy being the star rookie and Matt being the aging, injured future hall of famer; having a relationship as co-workers; ultimately having a long distance relationship; "work" being playing on a major league baseball team, and oh yes... being clo...more
DaisyGirl
3.0 Stars

I was hyped up for this one. It's baseball; it's May-December romance; it got great reviews. Well, maybe I set the bar too high. I liked both Iggy and Matt. And, I liked that they were at opposite ends of their respective professional careers. I could understand the need to keep their relationship under wraps. I appreciated the build-up to all of this but then it kinda stalled. Somewhere in the middle, I kept thinking, "Okay, any day now! Something has to happen!" Although the story pic...more
Jay
I really enjoyed this book. Matt and Iggy were perfect together.

This was a story about finding true love and hanging on to it. Sure there were bumps along the way particularly since they were major league baseball players. There wasn't a lot of angst and they had real problems that any gay couple might have to face in their situation. We end up with a HEA by the end that make you feel all warm inside.

Oh and I just loved Matt's parents. To bad they did have a larger role in the story. An each of...more
Romance Readers R...: June M/M Buddy Read - Out in the Field 50 171 Jul 01, 2012 07:19AM
  • Six Ways from Sunday (Southern Scrimmage #1)
  • Tigerland  (Tigers and Devils, #2)
  • The Unforgiving Minute
  • Homo Action Love Story! A tall tale
  • Offside
  • Ten in the Bin
  • Cold War
  • Steamroller
  • Dance With Me
  • The Rebuilding Year
  • Horizons (Horizons, #1)
  • Heart in Hand
  • A Hole in God's Pocket
  • Exposed
  • Stroke!
  • Gambling Men: The Novel
  • Life in Fusion (Sno Ho, #2)
  • The Luckiest (Lucky Moon, #2)
Kate McMurray is a nonfiction editor. Also, she is crafty (mostly knitting and sewing, but she also wields power tools), she plays the violin, and she dabbles in various other pursuits. She’s maybe a tiny bit obsessed with baseball. She lives in Brooklyn, NY, with a presumptuous cat.
More about Kate McMurray...
Four Corners Lead Us Not (Love is Always Write) Blind Items The Boy Next Door In Hot Pursuit