Start by marking “Out in the Field” as Want to Read:
Out in the Field

Out in the Field

4.03 of 5 stars 4.03  ·  rating details  ·  871 ratings  ·  125 reviews
Ignacio Rodriquez, Iggy to his friends, has been dreaming about playing baseball for the Brooklyn Eagles ever since he was a boy. His dream comes true and then some; he finds himself playing alongside his idol, first baseman Matt Blanco, who is everything he dreamed of and more.

Matt Blanco is entering the twilight of his career, plagued by injuries and two decades of lyin
Published April 24th 2012 by Loose ID, LLC (first published April 23rd 2012)

To ask other readers questions about Out in the Field, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Out in the Field

Shattered Glass by Dani AlexanderArmed & Dangerous by Abigail RouxStars & Stripes by Abigail RouxChase in Shadow by Amy LaneWho We Are by T.J. Klune
Best M/M Romance Published in 2012
40th out of 609 books — 1,438 voters
Tigers and Devils by Sean KennedyCaught Running by Abigail RouxThe Locker Room by Amy LaneHeart in Hand by salifiableStr8te Boys by Evangeline Anderson
Best Gay Athletes
8th out of 290 books — 534 voters

More lists with this book...

This was THE BOOK! The one that I've been wanting, wishing, dreaming (and at times begging) for since the moment I discovered M/M romance. A baseball story, two professional players, one Dominican, in NYC, written by a true fan.

But it was BETTER than what I wanted, because I could not have come up with two characters as dear, engrossing, dignified and truly in love as Iggy and Matt, nope, I could not have wished for a better book than this. I LOVED IT!...I shall say it again I LOVED IT!

Matt Blan
J *I did it all for the nookie.The book nookie*
I love a good sports themed romance....

And I quite enjoyed the baseball aspects in this one!

Just for fun, here's some baseball eye candy...

The romance between Matt and Iggy was a bit on the forbidden side, with them being teammates. And Iggy was quite a bit younger than Matt.

But I really loved them together.

The angst in this one centers around them having to keep their relationship a secret. But it wasn't drama filled. There weren't a bunch of break-ups and fights.

There was some nice steam.

Out in the Field was one of those books that had languished on my get-your-ass-in-gear shelf for over a year. That is a shelf of books I am 90% sure I will love, but I just need to find the perfect time to read them, preferably when I can read them in one sitting since I have a super scattered brain and hate taking breaks in the middle of a good book because I always forget stuff. Well, I had that opportunity last night and after reading two books this week that had absolutely NO romance in them
Dec 04, 2014 Lili rated it 4 of 5 stars
Recommended to Lili by: John "King of the North"
Shelves: m-m, john-s-shelf
 photo imagejpg1_zps77e6e81a.jpg

This is one of those books that came out of nowhere and pleasantly surprised me. This is the two story of two men who find each other at opposite ends of their baseball careers. Matt, is nearing the end of his successful one. Iggy, on the hand is just beginning his.

This book is a slice of life type of story. There's no villain or big twists- it's simply the story of two men who fall in love. It's about the dynamics of a relationship. I loved these two men together- they just fit.

Things I loved
Heidi Cullinan
Okay, it would be nice to have a big old academic and intelligent review, but mostly this book made me SO GODDAMN HAPPY and nervous and excited and sad and tense and euphoric and giddy and giggly and all the things books are supposed to do. It takes a real problem and puts it in very real terms, and you ride their ride through trying to be out players in the big leagues. Or majors or whatever it is. I don't know sports but who cares, they were dear darlings, and I just wanted to wrap them up and ...more
Heather C

It was smexy
It was honest
It was real
It had sexy athletes
There was no ridiculous breakup
It spans for several years
It had a perfect balance between the baseball and the romance
It wasn't too angsty
Closet doors were opened
There were some LOL moments
A happy moment made me cry
I couldn't put it down

5 Stars Recommended!
Swing Batta Batta Swing.

My annoyance with this built steadily from "a good editor would have fixed that" to "maybe they already did."

It began nicely; first lines are important, and of the three books I picked up last night, this one had the best.

Things progressed, and all was well—with an occasional niggle with repetition (they both taste metallic), or general tone (vaguely overwrought in some places, strangely lifeless in others).

To the 30 percent mark, I had a decent list of positives and nega
Cole Riann
Jun 06, 2013 Cole Riann rated it 5 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: Baseball Fans!
Recommended to Cole by: Lauraadriana
Second Read - 6/4/13 to 6/6/13

Review posted at The Armchair Reader for Kate McMurray Week!

I can't help it -- this is still my favorite book from Kate McMurray!

Matt Blanco is a Brooklyn boy, born into a crazy Italian family and famous as a top professional baseball player, nearing the end of his long career with the Brooklyn Eagles. He is also gay. There's never even been a rumor of his sexuality, though he's a perennial bachelor, because of his complete dedication towards discretion. If baseba
5 Encouraging Stars

What a story

Amazing males

And hope and future and everything

Review to come...
MsMiz (Tina)
4.5 oh what the hell 5. I loved everything about this book. There are those books that hit you just right in every way. That is what Out in the Field was for me. I could read about Iggy and Matt forever.

What I want to see now is a short of Matt and Iggy taking Tango lessons;)
Kaje Harper
This is a wonderful story about two men who are forced to be in the closet by the pressures of playing professional baseball. Matt is nearing the end of a highly successful career, and Iggy is the newly-acquired hot rookie, when they have their first moment of "I wonder if he's gay; I wonder if he can tell I am..." across the locker room. From that moment their relationship develops in a slow organic way that feels natural and believable and sweet.

The baseball in this story is just about perfect
I loved this book! Although I like sports, baseball is not a sport played in my country and I don't understand the rules properly. But it wasn't baseball that hooked me to this story! It was two baseball players! Both gay, both deep in the closet, but so in love with each other that my heart melted with these men!

Matt and Iggy are both famous baseball players and they have a secret relationship! Nobody knows and they try as much as they can to keep it hidden! But life circumstances lead on a dif
GAAAAH THIS WAS SO AMAZING !!! Iggy and Matt were so fucking perfect together! Actually, everything about this book was perfect; I loved it so, so much! I was so sad when it ended, cause I could've read 100 more pages about them. Honestly, I feel like nothing I could write here could do justice to how great this book is so I invite you to read Lauraadriana's review, a perfect review for a perfect book.

The only thing I want to add is, never in my life I've been interested in baseball (never even
3,5 stars

Unfamiliar with baseball the sports part was lost upon me but the touching how-it-should-be romance made it worth reading.
~✡~Dαni(ela) ♥ ♂♂ love & semi-colons~✡~

Plenty sexy with two hot athletes, but: too much baseball, too much focus on the "outing" vs. the relationship, and too much angst. I would have preferred more build-up and sexual tension. I had envisioned these two dancing around each other a bit, lusting, questioning, but, no, they go at it almost immediately. I slogged through part 2 (I almost DNF); thankfully, part 3 provided closure.
LOVED it. Looooooved it. Lauraadriana's review says it better than I can, but basically this is the sports romance I've always wanted. Kate McMurray clearly knows her baseball, and balances it beautifully with wonderful characters, a compelling coming-out plot, and great writing. Highly recommended.
Nikyta *Miss Forgetful*
I'm conflicted about my feelings for this book. On one hand, I liked it but on the other I was frustrated by the lack of everything else aside from sex.

What attracted me to this story was the different elements within it. Matt and Iggy have a fourteen year age difference and I've always been fond of age gap stories. I also loved the fact this is based around baseball because I am a (somewhat) baseball fan. Add into it that these boys were both hot and intense and it makes for a good read.

Eli Easton
An excellent m/m romance. The love story and characterization were all here, and very well done. But what raises this book above the noise for me was the very detailed and realistic depiction of both men actually coming out to their friends and the public. So many romance books reach the point where the 2 guys have committed to each other but never detail the fallout of that, or the difficult aspects of coming out. This book was never truly angsty but dealt with issues in a realistic way. Very n ...more
That’s it! It’s over! But I’m not ready for that I want more, that’s so not fair when you love a book that it has to end.

I loved everything about this book, Iggy and Matt were perfect, there was romance but I thought this story was more about the loving relationship between these two men. This was different than most m/m romance books there was no cheating, no real angst, no major fighting, no drama, it’s about 2 men that love each working at keeping their relationship the best way they know ho
Karen Wellsbury
I know nothing about baseball, apart from that fact that it seems a bit like rounders, which I still play, and the leggings are sweet. Luckily enough this is mainly about the relationship between Matt and Iggy, and attitudes to gay players so my lack of knowledge didn't cause a major issue.

This started off really slowly and gently, both guts in the closet, Matt all about the discreet hook ups, and Iggy just starting out in the big leagues. Their affair starts out as mutual attraction mixed with
John "King of the North"
Currently experiencing an Iggy & Matt withdrawal.

Perfect 5 stars!
Nichole (Dirrty H)
Oh, I get it! Out in the field.

So... three stars for this one. I liked it but for some reason the chemistry between these characters didn't ever ignite for me. It was an easy read and I didn't get bored or have to put it aside, but it just didn't quite hit the right notes.

This was more about Matt and Iggy coming out than it was about the romance. The actual "getting together" happened very quickly, so I think I kind of missed the falling in love stuff.

And for all the reviews touting McMurray as
Excellent m/m romance about a closeted baseball player nearing the end of his career who's uncomfortably attracted to the new rookie star on the team... an attraction that turns out to be mutual.
Nika (Off to Neverland)
My rating: 3/3.5 stars

A good M/M book with a nice plot. The reason why I didn't rate this book higher is because I didn't really connect with the characters. They seemed to go from zero to sixty and while it wasn't bad, I had hoped for a more gradual change from acquaintances to fuck buddies to dating. Also, I wish we'd gotten to know the characters a little more. With Matt I did get a decent sense of who he was but not really with Iggy. But overall it was fairly good, so I'd recommend it for pe

One of the best romances and sweetest couples for 2014. Amazing MCs, emotional and tender romance, no misunderstandings or silly twists to keep them conveniently apart, make this a change of my usual fare, but it worked. The coming out dilemma was realistically done (I think), however it kept going for too long IMO and took the focus away from the couple and their relationship. And I so wanted to see more of them!

Iggy and Matt learning to tango:

Update 14/2/2015
On my second read, I did n
I've hit the jackpot. In two days I've read three very good books, including Out in the Field. I wasn't sure about it because I'm not into jocks and, sorry, I don't like baseball. Fear not if, like me, you don't like baseball either; because it is so much more than a baseball book featuring two men as the MC's. Lots of good reviews here on GR's already, so my two cents worth follows.

When Out in the Field started I thought the language a bit simplistic but that was so wrong of me. What the writin
Just finished this and wanted to share a few thoughts. While I agree with those who think the book is unrealistic in the acceptance that the guys seem to find amongst their teammates and their fans, I also say, come on, it's a gay romance, not a doctoral thesis on gays in baseball. These romances, at their heart, are unrealistic from page one usually. I mean, it's nice to think that you'll look into the eyes of some stunning guy across the room and *BOOM* he's into you, has a tastefully decorate ...more
Wendy Ciliacus
I enjoyed reading this one, Iggy and Matt were really great together. There was not a lot of drama or angst, and if there was, it was from the outside. Their relationship was rock solid. I loved that about them. I do have to say, that it was a bit too much baseball for me. I love sportthemed books, but I don't have to know all the ins and outs about it. This was also a pretty steamy read..which is always a plus for me :)

3,5 stars from me. I will surely be checking out more books by this author.
MareTara SLiTsReaD Reviews~Lover of all things MM
***3.5 coming out stars***

Who knew baseball players could be soo hott?!?!?!

Meet Iggy

Iggy makes it to the pros and winds up on the team Brooklyn Eagles to play along side his all time idol, Matt Blanco

Iggy and Matt fall in love, keep there realationship secret for 4 year till Matt writes a book about being a closet gay in the major leagues... and so the story ends with both or hot players coming out and living happily ever after

Romance Readers R...: June M/M Buddy Read - Out in the Field 50 172 Jul 01, 2012 07:19AM
  • The Unforgiving Minute
  • Tigerland (Tigers and Devils, #2)
  • Horizons (Horizons, #1)
  • Ten in the Bin
  • Dance With Me
  • Heart in Hand
  • Homo Action Love Story! A tall tale
  • Offside (Offside, #1)
  • A Hole in God's Pocket
  • Six Ways from Sunday (Southern Scrimmage #1)
  • Riding with Heaven
  • Caught Running
  • Sidecar
  • Life in Fusion (Sno Ho, #2)
  • Training Season (Training Season, #1)
  • Match Maker
  • Steamroller
  • Ravages
Kate McMurray is a nonfiction editor. Also, she is crafty (mostly knitting and sewing, but she also wields power tools), she plays the violin, and she dabbles in various other pursuits. She’s maybe a tiny bit obsessed with baseball. She lives in Brooklyn, NY, with a presumptuous cat.
More about Kate McMurray...
Four Corners Lead Us Not Blind Items The Boy Next Door The Stars that Tremble (Stars, #1)