Start by marking “Orfeo emerso ” as Want to Read:
Orfeo emerso

Orfeo emerso

3.21 of 5 stars 3.21  ·  rating details  ·  552 ratings  ·  39 reviews
There will never be a moment like this one," says poet and fellow Beat writer Robert Creeley, in his introduction to this literary event: the first full-length work to be published since Kerouac's death in 1969.

Discovered by his estate, Orpheus Emerged chronicles the passions, conflicts and dreams of a group of bohemians searching for truth while studying at a university.

Published 2004 by Mondadori (first published 1945)

To ask other readers questions about Orfeo emerso, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Orfeo emerso

Printable Tire
...or On the Road: The College Years.

I had trouble with this one. It's full of melodramatic, super pretentious college kids bumming around, having those Big Conversations on the fire escape at 3 AM that is college life. Kerouac can write bad Kerouac, and here it is, though give him a break, he was only 22, and I KNOW at 22 I would be/was writing the same sort of thing, hell I still do or would like to, right down to the embarrassing self-mythologizing notes in the back of the book.

I guess in th
Joseph
This is a book that should give hope to all young writers,that no matter how poorly you write now,there is still a chance you will improve and even become famous.In a word this one is terrible. I believe Kerouac wrote it when he was 18 or twenty. Having taught a lot of students in that age group, I can tell you his writing would not have stood out as among the best.

It isn't only that the book is filled with the pseudo sophistication and self-importance that many of us fall prey to when young an
T4ncr3d1
"Io non voglio essere coraggioso, non fa parte del mio modo di sentire. Voglio solo essere felice."

Dopo aver letto la storia dell'omicidio che ha dato vita alla Beat Generation (il romanzo a quattro mani E gli ippopotami si sono lessati nelle loro vasche), non ho potuto fare a meno di procedere a ritroso e riscoprire questo Orfeo emerso, un altro, ennesimo romanzo sommerso, riscoperto solo negli ultimi anni. E che pare non sia nemmeno questo il vero primo romanzo di Kerouac.
Preludio al romanzo s
Pete daPixie
Hitting the road back in the 1960's, without reading Kerouac, was equivalent to rambling off without a bed-roll. All those far distant memories have been shaken somewhat by this short novella. Completed in 1945 by the 23 year old 'beat' writer, 'Orpheus Emerged' was unpublished until 2000. I would have wished that Orpheus had not emerged at all.
I'm no regular reader of fiction these days, but I thought this was dreadful. The writing was juvenile and the characters pretentious.
Forgive me Jack...t
Stefano Gualtiero
Romanzo scritto da Kerouac a 23 anni, racconta il suo incontro con quella che diventerà la gang della Beat Generation. Non è difficile, avendo letto gli altri autori, riconoscere nei personaggi Ginsberg, Burroughs, Carr e lo stesso Kerouac. Giovani universitari alla ricerca dell'essenza, che passano le loro giornate tra alta filosofia, buona musica, alcol. In tutto ciò, il giovane Kerouac ci accompagna nell'incontro con gli altri, nelle loro discussioni, nelle loro lotte interiori. Un ottimo lib ...more
Kevin p.
Not Kerouac at his best. Nor Kerouac at his worst. It's mostly dialogue, O.E. is, and it is interesting to see the 'Beats' before they were really the Beats. But I like a bit more story in my stories. Just a smidgen.
Brittany
I liked the book, it is one of those stories where it is more about the conversation and what people say than what actually goes on in the story line and what people do.
Ana
This was an unkowned author for me. I looked him up on the Internet and found out some really interesting things about his life, and about his role in the so called "Beats" or "Beat Generation". I also read a little about this book, before reading it, and already knew that it was one of his early books, that didnt even get published before his and his wifes death. Many fans see this book as a poor work, as compared to his primary and most important work.

However, for me, this was my first Kerouac
Mat
First let it be known that I'm an absolutely HUGE fan of Jack Kerouac and I intend to read every word that that great man ever wrote.
So okay, I might be a tad biaised in this review.
But I'll try to be as honest and dispassionate as possible.
The three stars are for ENTERTAINMENT and HISTORICAL value and NOT for quality of LITERATURE.

First, I gotta say that this is by no means a great work of literature and I think even Jack would agree with me here, which accounts for perhaps why even he didn't
Martyn
Releasing this book is so unfair to Kerouac, mainly because he obviously didn't think it good enough to publish during his lifetime. It's clearly a very immature work, containing only the bare bones of ideas that would emerge in his later writing, but I'm sure he would shudder to think that his fame caused every single word, any words, that he committed to paper to be prostituted in this way. There's no other way to say it, this is shocking, both in terms of story and in the technical aspects of ...more
Jack Beltane
This book is basically just an academic read for fans of Kerouac. It's good to see where he started, and how such a strong voice came from such weak beginnings, but it's certainly not worthy of being presented as a "lost work" of Kerouac on par with "On the Road" or "The Dharma Bums." I don't think Kerouac "lost" it so much as he knew he could--and did--do so much better.

Having said that, it's a tight little story with a few memorable scenes, and is better than a lot of "finished" books I've rea
Donald
A very early work showing the beginnings of Kerouac's legacy. However, I found the book to be a bit confusing. Something was going on between Michael and Paul, but I'm not sure I ever understood what. Lots of drinking, lamenting, and fooling around, but not much in the way of plot. Still, it was interesting to see these early themes in Kerouac's writing, and I am glad I read it.
Colin Moon
Very obviously an early work; Kerouac writes the way he expects people to write--heavy-handed, and with a sort of vague ending befitting such a story. It's interesting to see him as a young writer without all his notions of spontaneous prose, but this could easily have been written by any young student of fiction.
M
Referred to as the voice of the beat generation, Jack Kerouac penned various works that proved inspiring to a generation. In Orpheus Emerged, found and released after his death, I am unconvinced that this particular wiriting needed to see the light of day. The book centers around a group of collegiate scholars and their attempts to dicipher a new idea of understanding. Caught on the fringes of the debate is the tortured poet Michael and the roving wanna-be scholar Paul. Whereas Michael seeks to ...more
Melissa D'andrea
You can definitely tell that it was written by a 22 year old Kerouac, as the prose is a little rough, however i always find when he wrote in third person it always keep out a bit odd. Like he wanted to write in first person but his idols wrote in third so he did the same.

I did like the sort of twist that Michael and Paul are the same person, just a personality that has been split in two. This is similar to "The Sea is my Brother" and "The Town and Country" where Kerouac split his personality in
Simona
E'inevitabile quando si legge un libro di Kerouac paragonarlo a "Sulla strada" che è un libro che mi ha dato tantissimo, a differenza di "Orfeo emerso" che non mi ha regalato particolari emozioni, sebbene racchiuda molto di ciò che sarà la Beat Generation.
Racconta le passioni, le delusioni, i sogni, la vita di alcuni amici, ovvero Paul, Arthur, Michael, Leo, studenti bohèmien, libertini nei quali è facile intravedere gli amici di Kerouac, da Burroughs a Allen Ginsberg.
"Orfeo emerso" non è solo
Christine J.
Chill out with the adverbs, Jack!
Nativeabuse
Really huge misfire by Kerouac, This really should never have been published and Jack probably never tried to get it published with good reason.

This is just plain bad writing to the nth degree. If this didn't have a famous name attached to it I would wonder how this seriously made it onto paper.

Some unfinished novels in artists closets that are dug out after they die, should stay buried.

What were they thinking publishing this, were they trying to tarnish a good guys name?
Misha
A posthumous release of Kerouac's unpublished first novel, and it definitely reads like a first novel. It isn't badly written, but I found it boring. It's probably only of interest to the kind of fans who must read every word an author ever produced, even if it's a grocery list. I may try to come back to this for some perspective once I've read a couple of his other works that I have on my shelf.
Martin
Jul 26, 2007 Martin added it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: no-one
Tedious at best. Lots of kids running around thinking they are great just because they have moved out of home for the first time, acting all Bohemian and smart. If you have been to University there are all these freshmen who think they know everything, this is a story about them and is awful. Greek references make up most of the story. Wish I had never read it.
Simar
Exclusively for fans still hung up on Kerouac. It's highly pretentious and juvenile...well good to know where he comes from ...his days of trying to find his own style. Nevertheless didn't like it...specially having read Of Mice and Men just last week.
Steph M
This is why books shouldn't be published posthumously.
Keri Adamson
Super early Kerouac, found and published posthumously--like nothing else he has written. Definitely before the style for which he became famous. An entertaining read for anyone, but especially Vonnegut fans, I think.
Drew Harrington
A very early Kerouac novel. The distinctive Kerouac writing style is absent from this one and he hasn't yet found his knack for writing natural dialogue. Definitely worth a read as a look into Kerouac's evolution as a writer.
clarenina
Kerouac's first novel is somewhat pretentious in places; the work of a young, idealistic intellectual, but it hints at what was to come with Kerouac's writing and thus is not without its charm.
Hiwot Abebe
Once you read this book you can understand Kerouac wasn't very experienced. It feels like a first novel. It needed more maturity. But it was a really cool story. I enjoyed it.
M. Cornelis van der Weele IV
It reads about how you'd think anything written by a 22 year old novice would read. I can empathize, though, so I kind of respect him for trying.
Helen
Compelling story, fast to read. This book probably would have been a little bit easier for me if I had been more well versed in Greek mythology.
Kevin
An early unpublished novella and one of Kerouac's better efforts, along with The Dharma Bums, On the Road, and Satori in Paris.
  • Jack Kerouac: Angel-Headed Hipster
  • Off the Road: My Years with Cassady, Kerouac, and Ginsberg
  • Kerouac: A Biography
  • Memory Babe: A Critical Biography of Jack Kerouac
  • Collected Letters, 1944-1967
Born on March 12, 1922, in Lowell, Massachusetts, Jack Kerouac's writing career began in the 1940s, but didn't meet with commercial success until 1957, when On the Road was published. The book became an American classic that defined the Beat Generation. Kerouac died on October 21, 1969, from an abdominal hemorrhage, at age 47.
Early Life

Famed writer Jack Kerouac was born Jean-Louis Lebris de Keroua
More about Jack Kerouac...
On the Road The Dharma Bums Big Sur The Subterraneans Desolation Angels