Start by marking “Brazen Angel” as Want to Read:
Brazen Angel

Brazen Angel (Brazen #1)

3.65 of 5 stars 3.65  ·  rating details  ·  342 ratings  ·  25 reviews
Giles Corliss, Lord of Trahern, races through the streets after the sapphire-eyed Brazen Angel, determined to catch London's most audacious thief. Unknown to the lord, the masked mistress leads a double life as the beautiful, fragile Lady Sophia d'Artiers...Giles' intended.
ebook
Published (first published July 7th 1997)

To ask other readers questions about Brazen Angel, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Brazen Angel

Books&Friends
Both Giles and Sophia are spies and in this story often cross the channel between England and France during the French Revolution. Well lets say, given the difficulties of traveling at that time,made this part of the story highly unrealistic. Basically the revolution is wallpaper to this character driven book. The true gritty details of that time were glossed over and the language was modernistic. Probably not for those who like authentic historical novels.
BUT when the author offered occasional
☆ Ruth ☆
I keep picking up these romances, in the hope of finding an author that comes somewhere close to Georgette Heyer... I'll just have to continue trying. I managed to get a quarter of the way through this before relegating it to the discard pile; but perhaps if you're fond of bodice rippers this book might be to your taste.
Barbara
Great story set in the French Revolution era when Fouche and Rospierre were in power. Sophia is from an aristocratic family who are going to Madame Guillotine any day. Giles is a British agent seeking to find out who betrayed another agent, Webb. Little does he know that his betrothed (arranged by his father before his death) is Sophia. Meanwhile she is stealing from English aristocrats to raise enough money to free her family. It is a dagerous path for her-a long ago lover complicates everythin ...more
Lynne Tull
A trilogy of suspense...Brazen Angel was a little too brazen for me. This story takes place during the French Revolution and involves a lot of daring rescues. Since this is a 'Romance' novel, I knew all would end well. It was a complete fantasy. I could never convince myself that the heroine could have been so 'brazen' during that time period of history. Hoping for something better in the next book "Brazen Heiress"...which takes place in Russia during the reign of Catherine the Great. hmmmm?
Maggie Hesseling
I love a good spy novel. With lots of intrigue and terror. In probably one of the scariest moments of French history, this novel uses the back drop to show how fleeting life is, and how important love is in these circumstances. The Brazen Angel, though a thief, becomes heroic- a robin hood figure, which creates a tempting and diverting read. Each page brings a new smile.
Doreen
This book carries you along. After you've finished it, you might think that there are one or two flaws in the plot; nevertheless, and in spite of sometimes getting a bit cross with the heroine for never confiding in the hero, it's a good read, and I always make extra allowances for first published books by an author I like.
Manvir
Lady Sophia d'Artiers disguised as the Brazen Angel seduces and steals from wealthy nobles. The Marquess of Trahern, Giles Corliss, is determined to find out the true identity of this brazen thief. (Honestly I feel that sums up the plot and everything else was just padding)

It started off good but I found this book to be kinda slow and boring. I didn't like any of the characters much. Didn't see any real passion let alone love between Sophia and Giles. The 'larger' story about the french revoluti
Ladyvixen
J'ai trouvé cette histoire superbement bien écrite et émouvante.
Caroline
Yet another established author who escaped my notice until I read two or three starred reviews in Publishers Weekly. I decided to start with her debut novel, published nearly 15 years ago.

The awards Brazen Angel garnered were well deserved. An intricately crafted and carefully paced romantic adventure set against the background of the French Revolution. A talented government agent is pitted against a high-class female thief known as the Brazen Angel, who preys on wealthy aristocrats at masked ba
Rox
I have huge expectations about this book since it was widely praised for Boyle's debut novel. However, the drama surrounding their romance fell short and repetitive like it's trying to put some real historical facts instead of "wallpaper history" but in the process, the added conflicts didn't blend well with the romance.
Linda
hmm... I was really excited about this but felt disappointed by the end. I love seduction and secret identities and should've loved this -- it did start out strong -- but I felt like much of the excitement fizzled out by the end. too bad.
Michele Lacroix
I haven't read Elizabeth Boyle in a long time and forgot how much I really enjoyed her.
Tory Michaels
Being an Elizabeth Boyle fan, I dove into this book with a great deal enthusiasm, though I did know it was her first (I learned about it through her newsletter). It was a bit tame, though I have to say I loved it being set during the French Revolution, rather than the more traditional Regency period. The characters were great and I have to say I'm looking forward to reading the second book, with Sophia's sister Lily and Webb (both minor characters from Brazen Angel).
Cherie
This is an exciting story. Too much for me. I don't tend to like the French Revolution as it was too violent so the suspense was more than I bargained for. That being said, it was a good story and I liked the back and forth between Giles and Sophia. Once he knew exactly who she was the tone changed as he became even more possessive and protective.

I would love to read Webb's story which is next but will pass.
Linda Block
Valeri29 McConnell
I liked this one better than the second one. Still, it wasn't my favorite romance novel ever. Once the story moved to Revolutionary France, I lost a lot of interest.
Leslie
One of the best books I've read in a good while. I totally loved the characters. I look forward to reading the other two in this trilogy.
adoree
Une belle régence avec de beaux héros. Une petite intrigue pas mal ficelée. Bref, un bon moment de lecture.
Melissa Porter
Did not get disappointed. Loved the story. Elizabeth Boyle knows how to hook a reader and keep them hooked.
Nadine Jones
99 cents at Amazon right now + French Revolutionary spies! = yeah I bought it ...
Gerri
Not as good as the first book. But will eventually read the other.
Kathy
I think I"ve read this before didn't finish the 2nd time
Jewel
Aug 20, 2012 Jewel marked it as maybe  ·  review of another edition
Entire trilogy for 6.99 on kindle?
angie
yum yum....lmyn seru
Clarice
Clarice marked it as to-read
Aug 30, 2015
Ines
Ines marked it as to-read
Aug 28, 2015
Dianne Berryman
Dianne Berryman marked it as to-read
Aug 27, 2015
Lora
Lora added it
Aug 22, 2015
  • Master of My Dreams (Heros of the Sea, #1)
  • Slightly Wicked/Slightly Scandalous (Bedwyn Saga #2-3)
  • A Notorious Love (Swanlea Spinsters, #2)
  • A Lady of Expectations and Other Stories
  • The Marriage Wager
  • Shadow Dance
  • The Lady in Question (Effingtons, #7)
  • Unladylike Pursuits
  • His Reluctant Lady (Marriage By Scandal, #3)
  • Good Work: When Excellence and Ethics Meet
  • The Devil to Pay (MacLachlan Family, #1)
  • The Lily And The Sword (Medieval, #1)
  • Scandalous Virtue
  • The Rogue and the Hellion (Rogue Trilogy #1)
19842
Elizabeth Boyle was an antipiracy paralegal for Microsoft before settling down to write full-time. Her first novel, Brazen Angel, which won Dell's Diamond Debut Award in 1996, also won the Romance Writers of America's RITA Award for Best First Book, and was a finalist for Best Long Historical Romance. She lives with her husband in Seattle, Washington. She is also the author of Brazen Heiress.
More about Elizabeth Boyle...

Brazen (3 books)
  • Brazen Heiress (Brazen, #2)
  • Brazen Temptress (Brazen, #3)
Love Letters From a Duke (Bachelor Chronicles, #3) Something About Emmaline (Bachelor Chronicles, #1) Along Came a Duke (Rhymes With Love, #1) And the Miss Ran Away With The Rake (Rhymes With Love, #2) Confessions of a Little Black Gown (Bachelor Chronicles, #4)