Start by marking “Expendable Few: A Spinward Fringe Novel” as Want to Read:
Expendable Few: A Spinward Fringe Novel

Expendable Few: A Spinward Fringe Novel

Clark Patterson and other officers in the Freeground Military are ejected from regular service their actions and lifestyles are met by disapproval by a new oppressive government. They find themselves reassigned to a unit sent on some of the most dangerous missions ever undertaken by Freeground Nation soldiers. Completing these missions is their only way to win their freedo ...more
ebook, 1st, 610 pages
Published February 28th 2012 by Smashwords

To ask other readers questions about Expendable Few, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Expendable Few

Dan
Mar 16, 2014 Dan rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2014
Another great story in the Spinward Fringe universe.
Blase Ciabaton
Mar 08, 2012 Blase Ciabaton rated it really liked it
Shelves: science-fiction
Wow, Randolph Lalonde is currently, my favorite Science Fiction author, and it was with great anticipation that I awaited his newest release, The Expendable Few.

As a Science Fiction fan, this book is definitely worth a read, but it's not my favorite work from Lalonde. Additionally, to keep everything in chronological order, you would almost certainly want your first Randolph Lalonde book to be Origins (Spinward Fringe). Bonus-this book is currently available as a free download on Amazon. If you'
Fred
Aug 26, 2013 Fred rated it really liked it
A much shorter tale than I'm used to in this series but I have to say that as large as colonized space is in this series and as much of it as is still unexplored and off the books there could be an infinite number of these shorter stories forthcoming. I will go on the record as saying that I'm okay with that.

This is a story that revolves around a group of new characters and this particular tale should be read BEFORE you read the last book in the series. There are characters in the last book that
Yougo
Nov 05, 2012 Yougo rated it liked it
Shelves: sci-fi
I have to admit that I was rather disappointed in this installment in the Spinward Fringe series. The rest of the series has been action packed and hard to put down. This book I felt was very much outside the feel of the rest of the series. Specifically I didn't like:
-The rest of the series was very clean, this had a significant amount of hard-core profanity.
-The characters were hard to bond with, and once you finally bonded, they were killed (it doesn't center around anyone (almost) from the pr
Jacob Hargie
May 19, 2012 Jacob Hargie rated it it was amazing
Being as this book is much shorter than Randolph's other spinward fringe works, the frequency of major events occur quickly and the main plot of the book surfaces quite early. Unlike his other books, The Expendable Few focuses on the main non-human intelligence present in the spinward fringe universe; the issirians. With the order of eden occupying a planet of native issirians, we start to see the issirians exhibit more human-like attitudes and behaviors toward their oppressors. It's safe to ass ...more
Brian Peroceschi
Apr 14, 2012 Brian Peroceschi rated it liked it
The Spinward Fringe series is awesome, if you have not read it your are missing out.

This is a readable book, however, I felt that much of the excellent sci-fi of the past books was removed and replaced with a political and social agenda. I expect the reviews of this book will fluctuate significantly depending on if the reader agrees with the agenda.

Anyway, I did not have this feeling when I read the other books in this excellent series and I will certainly read the next book when it is released.
Steve Jones
Jul 02, 2012 Steve Jones rated it really liked it
A book that lives between the Spinward Fringe Broadcast books 6 and 7. It's a whole different crew, one that is comprised of misfits from Freeground, sent out in the old First Light, renamed back to the Sunspire.

It's another look at Freeground, with only hints of what is happening in the rest of the galaxy. the book was enjoyable, but felt disconnected from the series. Looking forward to book #7.
Tom
Mar 03, 2012 Tom rated it liked it
I enjoy Randolph LaLonde's Broadcast series so much. I wish there were 10 more. At least that would get me through the summer. I had very high expectations for Expendable Few but I felt I was reading some one elses story, not like the Broadcast series which were so engaging. I just couldn't connect. I'll try again as I KNOW RL would not let his fans down with a mediocre work. I see it is rated highly so assuming it must be me.
Jacque Holst
May 12, 2014 Jacque Holst rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Randoph Lalonde writes a great sci fi series

I've been following this series for years and have always enjoyed it. There must be eleven books in the series now, I'm looking forward to the next one. I recommend the series, the plot is convoluted, they are not stand alone books, it's good to read them in order.
Gary Proctor
Mar 04, 2012 Gary Proctor rated it it was amazing
Short, fast and disturbing. It's wonderful to see another side of this universe, but it leaves me with some bad feeling for the future. This book was far more pessimistic than the other, previous Spinward book. Not that that is a bad thing. This was still a very good read and leaves me wanting more. Lots of new characters to wonder about !
Andrewb
Mar 11, 2012 Andrewb rated it it was amazing
A very good read! Sets up a nice lead to Broadcast 7. Way to many grammar and misspellings. It's as if no editor actually edited it. Darn autocorrect looks like it changed a few things it shouldn't have. Randolph should "sack" those responsible. Well worth the price even if it were to cost 8 or 9 USD.
AJ
Dec 23, 2012 AJ rated it liked it
This is not one of Mr. Lalonde's best. The best reason to read it though is because it fills in a lot of background for Spinward Fringe - Broadcast 7. It really helps to have that prior knowledge. Otherwise this particular book is just OK.
Laura Hirschfeld
Nov 26, 2016 Laura Hirschfeld rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Good installment in the series. I like the added back stories!

This adds depth to Clark and other characters who play secondary roles.

Plot is good but less space battle action than the Jonas novels.
Darren
May 14, 2014 Darren rated it liked it
Really enjoyed the series so far. The Expendable Few for some reason I haven't quite pinned down just not as good as the rest. Worth reading, some interesting ideas...felt perhaps a little rushed and occasionally disjointed.
Gene Martin
Mar 05, 2012 Gene Martin rated it really liked it
Space opera life is complicated and very unfair. Who are the good guys? Who are the bad guys? With a few exceptions, that is not an easy question to answer. TEF introduces new characters and sheds new light on some old ones. A worthy addition to the Spinward Fringe universe!
Gary O'Brien
Feb 15, 2016 Gary O'Brien rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: All
The entire Spinward Fringe series is outstanding. I can't get enough of them.

Fast-paced, action-packed stories that will keep your eyes glued to the pages (or screen).

The edge of the seat style of these books is just fantastic. I really loved these and hope to read a lot more by this author.
Gail
Jun 03, 2012 Gail rated it it was amazing
This whole series by Randolph Lalonde is fabulous. I am on my second read through and can't get enough!!!!
Shane Taylor
Apr 23, 2012 Shane Taylor rated it really liked it
Not many of the characters I'm use to in the series, but have a feeling this will tie into the next book(s).
Simon Williams
Jul 10, 2012 Simon Williams rated it really liked it
I didn't enjoy this as much as the mainstream Spinward Fringe novels - I didn't get as engrossed with the plot or the characters, but will still read the others as they come out.
Spencer Goodall
Jan 26, 2013 Spencer Goodall rated it really liked it
Shelves: spinward-fringe
Nice step away from the usual cast and build up to the next book
Michael
Mar 24, 2013 Michael rated it really liked it
My favourite, must buy series for the Kindle
Lindsay
Sep 11, 2012 Lindsay rated it liked it
Shelves: sci-fi, kindle, z2012
I've really been enjoying this series, although by this point I feel I know the regular characters, so missed them a bit in this book.
Rob
Sep 24, 2012 Rob rated it really liked it
Whilst an enjoyable read I kept finding myself wanting to read about the original crew.
Kevin
Aug 13, 2012 Kevin rated it it was ok
not as good as previous fringe novels, but something to read until the next rogue element series comes out.
g j hogan
g j hogan rated it really liked it
Dec 25, 2015
Conor Mcgrenaghan
Conor Mcgrenaghan rated it it was amazing
May 13, 2013
Louis Pofi
Louis Pofi rated it liked it
Jan 02, 2016
Chris
Chris rated it really liked it
Aug 03, 2015
Don
Don rated it really liked it
Dec 09, 2015
Tim Cummings
Tim Cummings rated it liked it
Nov 03, 2015
  • The Third Side (Battle for the Solar System, #2)
  • Astra: Synchronicity
  • The Sunfire (The Redemption Trilogy, #2)
  • The Rings of Haven (The Frontiers Saga #2)
  • Pirates (Nastragull #1)
  • Far From Home: The Complete Series (Far From Home #1-12)
  • Violation (The Mystic Saga #3)
  • Robot Proletariat: Season One
  • Tainted Universe (Wanderer's Odyssey #3)
  • A Very Good Neighbor (Dead End #2)
  • Knifepoint (Breakers, #3)
  • The Sands of Karathi (Lacuna #2)
  • The Ending Beginnings: Carlos (The Ending, #0.1)
  • Valkyrie Rising (Hayden War Cycle, #2)
Born in 1974, Randolph Lalonde has worked in customer service, sales, played drums for several heavy metal bands you've never heard of, dealt blackjack in a traveling casino, and serviced countless computers. He's also owned businesses in the design, printing, collectible and custom computer fields.

He completed writing his first novel in the fantasy adventure genre at the age of fifteen and has be
More about Randolph Lalonde...

“Don’t fuck with my comfortable ignorance!” 1 likes