Start by marking “Marblestone Mansion, Book 1 (Scandalous Duchess, #1)” as Want to Read:
Marblestone Mansion, Book 1 (Scandalous Duchess, #1)

Marblestone Mansion, Book 1 (Scandalous Duchess #1)

3.48 of 5 stars 3.48  ·  rating details  ·  300 ratings  ·  34 reviews
A Duke by inheritance, Hannish MacGreagor soon learned the title came with very little wealth, so he bought a silver mine in Idaho, left his wife of two weeks in Scotland, and sailed to America. Two years later, he sold the mine and became one of the wealthiest men in Colorado. Yet, all was not well with his marriage. Never could he have imagined the disaster that was head...more
Published February 28th 2012 (first published January 1st 2011)

To ask other readers questions about Marblestone Mansion, Book 1, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Marblestone Mansion, Book 1

Wealhtheow
Hannish MacGreagor inherited an impoverished Scottish dukedom. Instead of living an idle life in debt, he moved to America and made a fortune in Colorado silver mines. Now a wealthy man, he has asked his family to move to America as well. To his consternation, only his sister arrives--his wife stopped in New York to shop. Increasingly disturbing rumors reach him, from her cruelty to their servants to her adultery. At last, the infamous duchess comes to Colorado.

It was at this point that I was s...more
Carolyn
I simply cannot say enough about Marti Talbott's Clan MacGreagor series of books. From "The Viking," which tells the story of how the MacGreagor Clan first started, through her eleven-book Highlander Series, which explores generation after generation of the MacGreagor Clan, to the present "Marblestone Mansion, Book 1," which brings the MacGreagor Clan to the American Colorado Rockies, these books are simply breathtaking in their ability to touch a part of your heart and keep a smile on your face...more
Nancy
I really like this author's style of writing & would have given this book 5 stars if not for so many spelling & grammar errors. As I've said with her other books, she must self-publish & not thoroughly review her book before posting.
Sha Mslvoe ♥♥♥
I throughly enjoyed this book. The characters are fun and just simply great reading. I could hardly put it down! I'm looking forward to getting the next books in the series.
Eva
Another sanctimonious literary fast-food which promotes the idea that every girl, no matter her origin or social status or intellectual capacities, dreams exclusively about falling in love and marrying a handsome and rich man. Such a lousy way to describe women and their interactions with the opposite sex. The outcome is extremely disappointing: after a remarkably bad denouement, Hannish MacGreagor is finally a free man and he takes for wife his young and childish servant, which greatly resemble...more
Anna McIntyre
If you are looking for a historical romance with fully developed characters, and without graphic sex scenes, you will enjoy Marblestone Mansion. The author does a good job at describing the setting of the story, without overdoing it. Some authors get carried away with descriptive scenes, making you skim over paragraphs. It was a good balance and comfortable read.

I liked how she visualized the story in her mind, and was able to convey the scenes and setting with her words.

I really didn’t intend...more
Toni
What a great read! This was a good book with great characters and such a strong moral cord running through it. Hannish is such a great hero with such a good heart. He shows so much character in his nonjudgemental concern for people and their problems, instead of using his position as a Scottish Duke to gain what he wants. I want to read more of these people. I want to see his sister McKenna find happiness too. As for Olivia, I can just imagine what other trouble she will cause. She makes a great...more
Joan Johnson
Marblestone Mansion, #1

I gave this book 3-stars rather than 4-stars because of the number of proofreading mistakes. I'm thrown by these mistakes and it disrupts my immersion in the story. This book also seems to a weave of three or four short stories. Regardless I liked the book and recommend it to anyone who enjoys romance with a touch of mystery.
Judy
When I began reading this book, I wasn't sure it would hold my interest. But as I got more and more into the book, I found that the characters interested me enough that I really wanted to find out how their lives would progress. This author's style of writing is very simple and yet somewhat compelling. Absolutely no explicit sex which was fine with me. However, I would have appreciated more details in the romance between the H/h - not sexually explicit detail - more soft, cuddly, kissing etc. Th...more
Amelia
For all the references to scandal and disaster, Marblestone Mansion is a quiet book. It's best to come to it without preconceptions, for if you are expecting melodrama and scandal, you may be disappointed. Not that there aren't dramatic moments, but they are never the focus. No, this is a portrait of a household, albeit an unconventional one. In fact, it's probably best described as a family saga, for even servants and friends are very much welcomed into and considered a part of this warm, carin...more
Preethi
(Originally posted at www.keepersbookreviews.blogspot.com)

**Actual Rating**: 2.5 stars
**Book Format**: kindle ebook

This is not at all what I expected to find when I read the synopsis of Marblestone Mansion, Book 1 on Goodreads. After reading the synopsis, I expected this book to be a romance between the husband and wife who had been separated for two years. I expected an angry but lovable wife, and an arrogant but handsome husband. Boy was I wrong. Not only that, but for some reason, I thought...more
Pam
I enjoyed this book, and would have given it a higher rating had it not had such blatant grammatical errors in the ebook version. I really hope this was fixed in the print version because it really takes away from the enjoyment of the story when you have to stop and think about what the author wants to say. It becomes really distracting.
That being said: this was a nice read. I liked the variety of the characters, the intricacies and the dialogue.
Nahiomi
At first I want sure about the book, whether it was going to be good or not. It took a while for it to get going but then it started to become interesting. The characters are all likeable and the author does a good job with the words and how it changes up the perspective of the narrator. it's not just told from the point of view of one character, but it switches up between characters so we get to know them better. It is pretty good but it wouldn't be a book that I would think of in an instant to...more
Susan Harper
I liked the story, but whoever transcribed the book as an e-book did no proof reading, spell checking or grammar checking. I hate to be picky, but that takes away from my enjoyment of a book.
Mary
I really enjoyed this book. Hannish McGreagor is an honorable man and one to admire. I hope to read more in this series - want to find out what happens to some of the other characters.
Lisa
Not bad. I won't be placing my orders for the rest of the series immediately, but I probably pick them up one at a time.
Jacqueline
I enjoyed this book very much, it proves you do not need sex to sell a very good and amusing book.
Frances Fuller
My only excuse for reading this, it was a free Kindle edition.
Anita
Great easy read. Reminded me of an American Dowton Abby! Great mix of the lives of Hammish, the Scottish duke, his sister and their staff in the golden age of gold mines and new wealth in Colorodo.
candice farley
A-mazing

I love this!!!!! book such a page turner.... can't wait to read the next one in the series. I will definitely tell my friends about it..
Angie Peoples
What a fast past highland action packed romance turned suspense! This book was well written and the characters in it were a delight to get to know. I loved the spunky tone used and the colorful way in which everything is described in this book. It makes you feel apart of the story. I'm looking forward to reading the rest of this series.
Chrissy
The beginning of this book was hard for me. The points of view change constantly and I was having a hard time keeping all the servants straight. But by the middle of the book, I was hooked. I loved the ending. There are lots of editing errors, which was a bit distracting but this was a good book. Glad I read it!
Rosa
I have mixed feelings about this one. It seemed that the love story was actually secondary in the plot. While I like that the Duchess got her comeuppance, and I liked the character of Sassy. I don't know that I will read the next edition.
Annette Shaw
Loved this story! Not only are the character and scenes well developed the humor is delightful. I laughed at Sassy's antics along with the rest of the staff of Marblestone Manor and I can't wait for more.
Summer Peterson
I just couldn't finish this. It was so cheesy. I honestly just want to know about the main characters but in this book everyone has to be paired up.
Kim
Jun 17, 2013 Kim rated it 3 of 5 stars
Shelves: romance
Enjoyable storytelling but there was no courtship. The romantic tension was there but then the book ended.
Sonia
Fast, easy read. Fun, but sometimes I felt it was tongue in cheek. Very soap-opera feel to it.
Julie  aka trouble..
loved it very good story can't wait for the next one,the saga continues.
Judy Bullard
I enjoyed this 1st book of the series - already downloaded book 2!!
Anita Foster
Good story. Was a good read but the ending was a bit predictable
Historical Romance: -Discounted - Scandalous Duchess Series 1 26 Feb 15, 2013 09:44AM
  • The Good Knight (Gareth & Gwen Medieval Mysteries, #1)
  • The MacKinnon's Bride (The Highland Brides, # 1)
  • Amethyst (Jewel, #1)
  • To Catch A Spinster (The Reluctant Bride Collection, #1)
  • Come the Night
  • Something about Her
  • Rogue's Honor (The Saint Of Seven Dials, #1)
  • The Seduction of Emily
  • The Bride Wore Blue (The Brides of Bath #1)
  • Knight's Caress
  • Kissing in the Dark (Grayson Brothers, #4)
  • Wildfire Kiss
  • A Dream of Daring
  • The Cry For Freedom (Winds of Betrayal #1)
  • An Unexpected Widow (The Colorado Brides #1)
  • The Warrior's Wife
  • Her Husband's Harlot (Mayhem in Mayfair, #1)
  • Beyond the Cliffs of Kerry
Marti Talbott lives in Seattle and has written several full length novels, including The Billionaire's Will, Seattle Quake 9.2, The Promise, and Broken Pledge.

She began writing the 14 book Highlander Series in August of 2009. Now, readers can follow the MacGreagor Clan into Colorado's early 20th century in her new Marblestone Mansion series.

To be notified when new books are available, visit www....more
More about Marti Talbott...
Marti Talbott's Highlander Series 1 (Anna, Rachel & Charlet) The Viking Marti Talbott's Highlander Series 2 (Maree, Gillie, Jessup & Glenna) Betrothed(Marti Talbott's Highlander Series, #6) Marti Talbott's Highlander Series 3 (Taral, Ralin, Steppen, Edana & Slava)