Start by marking “Marblestone Mansion (Scandalous Duchess, #1)” as Want to Read:
Marblestone Mansion  (Scandalous Duchess, #1)

Marblestone Mansion (Scandalous Duchess #1)

3.45 of 5 stars 3.45  ·  rating details  ·  491 ratings  ·  44 reviews
Against her will, Lady Deora Medwin was betrothed to a powerful but disgusting man. She did not doubt her father loved her dearly, but how could he do such a thing? Deora saw only one option -- RUN!

He was the Highlander, Laird Justin MacGreagor, and when he received ‘the word’ in a message, he was perplexed as well as alarmed. It was a secret word known only to the MacGrea
Published February 28th 2012

To ask other readers questions about Marblestone Mansion, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Marblestone Mansion

Wealhtheow
Hannish MacGreagor inherited an impoverished Scottish dukedom. Instead of living an idle life in debt, he moved to America and made a fortune in Colorado silver mines. Now a wealthy man, he has asked his family to move to America as well. To his consternation, only his sister arrives--his wife stopped in New York to shop. Increasingly disturbing rumors reach him, from her cruelty to their servants to her adultery. At last, the infamous duchess comes to Colorado.

It was at this point that I was s
Carolyn
I simply cannot say enough about Marti Talbott's Clan MacGreagor series of books. From "The Viking," which tells the story of how the MacGreagor Clan first started, through her eleven-book Highlander Series, which explores generation after generation of the MacGreagor Clan, to the present "Marblestone Mansion, Book 1," which brings the MacGreagor Clan to the American Colorado Rockies, these books are simply breathtaking in their ability to touch a part of your heart and keep a smile on your face ...more
Nancy
I really like this author's style of writing & would have given this book 5 stars if not for so many spelling & grammar errors. As I've said with her other books, she must self-publish & not thoroughly review her book before posting.
Sha Mslvoe ♥♥♥
I throughly enjoyed this book. The characters are fun and just simply great reading. I could hardly put it down! I'm looking forward to getting the next books in the series.
Eva
Another sanctimonious literary fast-food which promotes the idea that every girl, no matter her origin or social status or intellectual capacities, dreams exclusively about falling in love and marrying a handsome and rich man. Such a lousy way to describe women and their interactions with the opposite sex. The outcome is extremely disappointing: after a remarkably bad denouement, Hannish MacGreagor is finally a free man and he takes for wife his young and childish servant, which greatly resemble ...more
Anna McIntyre
If you are looking for a historical romance with fully developed characters, and without graphic sex scenes, you will enjoy Marblestone Mansion. The author does a good job at describing the setting of the story, without overdoing it. Some authors get carried away with descriptive scenes, making you skim over paragraphs. It was a good balance and comfortable read.

I liked how she visualized the story in her mind, and was able to convey the scenes and setting with her words.

I really didn’t intend
Toni
What a great read! This was a good book with great characters and such a strong moral cord running through it. Hannish is such a great hero with such a good heart. He shows so much character in his nonjudgemental concern for people and their problems, instead of using his position as a Scottish Duke to gain what he wants. I want to read more of these people. I want to see his sister McKenna find happiness too. As for Olivia, I can just imagine what other trouble she will cause. She makes a great ...more
Liv
Joan Johnson
Marblestone Mansion, #1

I gave this book 3-stars rather than 4-stars because of the number of proofreading mistakes. I'm thrown by these mistakes and it disrupts my immersion in the story. This book also seems to a weave of three or four short stories. Regardless I liked the book and recommend it to anyone who enjoys romance with a touch of mystery.
Mimi Herrmann
Who knew the Scottish Highlands were flat?

Ms. Talbott starts out her book with this assertion, and it just gets worse from there. She also knows nothing about the mores of English and Scottish peerage, master/servant relations, Scottish history, American history, fashion history, seamstressing, cooking, or any other subject on which she holds forth, but she apparently has written volumes and volumes of this trash.

The plot of this particular gem is completely unbelievable, the dialog is childish
Krissy
I prefer my historical romances with at least a little bit of steam. But this had zilch. Nothing. In fact if you measured the steam factor in this book it would be in the negative. I wasn't even 100% positive exactly who was supposed to the the heroine/love interest in this until around 60% of the book! I would not recommend this.
Judy
When I began reading this book, I wasn't sure it would hold my interest. But as I got more and more into the book, I found that the characters interested me enough that I really wanted to find out how their lives would progress. This author's style of writing is very simple and yet somewhat compelling. Absolutely no explicit sex which was fine with me. However, I would have appreciated more details in the romance between the H/h - not sexually explicit detail - more soft, cuddly, kissing etc. Th ...more
Preethi (Time Turning Reads)
(Originally posted at www.keepersbookreviews.blogspot.com)

**Actual Rating**: 2.5 stars
**Book Format**: kindle ebook

This is not at all what I expected to find when I read the synopsis of Marblestone Mansion, Book 1 on Goodreads. After reading the synopsis, I expected this book to be a romance between the husband and wife who had been separated for two years. I expected an angry but lovable wife, and an arrogant but handsome husband. Boy was I wrong. Not only that, but for some reason, I thought
Robin
Ms. Talbott certainly has a way with words!

She draws you in, cajoles you, makes you feel safe and comfortable in the world she creates then weaves the most wonderful stories!

She has a very descriptive style which is very evident in the first book of the Marblestone Mansion series.

Marblestone Mansion follows the MacGregors of the Highlander series into the 20th century and I must say they arrived with style and aplomb.
Amelia
For all the references to scandal and disaster, Marblestone Mansion is a quiet book. It's best to come to it without preconceptions, for if you are expecting melodrama and scandal, you may be disappointed. Not that there aren't dramatic moments, but they are never the focus. No, this is a portrait of a household, albeit an unconventional one. In fact, it's probably best described as a family saga, for even servants and friends are very much welcomed into and considered a part of this warm, carin ...more
Marie A. Davis
A story with depth

Excellent story told in a compelling style. I enjoyed it. I would be interested in more work from this author.
Jenness Drake
More Scottish lore

I love almost anything Scottish. When this no electricity took place in Colorado I feared it would lose its charm. It did not.
Sjk0508
It was terrible. Only read because I had nothing else! So unbelievable!
Nahiomi
At first I want sure about the book, whether it was going to be good or not. It took a while for it to get going but then it started to become interesting. The characters are all likeable and the author does a good job with the words and how it changes up the perspective of the narrator. it's not just told from the point of view of one character, but it switches up between characters so we get to know them better. It is pretty good but it wouldn't be a book that I would think of in an instant to ...more
L-J Johnson
Oops. I thought this was a real book.
Jean Cowden
It had a lot characters in it, but the story was good.
Pam
I enjoyed this book, and would have given it a higher rating had it not had such blatant grammatical errors in the ebook version. I really hope this was fixed in the print version because it really takes away from the enjoyment of the story when you have to stop and think about what the author wants to say. It becomes really distracting.
That being said: this was a nice read. I liked the variety of the characters, the intricacies and the dialogue.
Velvetink
May 25, 2015 Velvetink marked it as to-read
kndle
Angie Peoples
What a fast past highland action packed romance turned suspense! This book was well written and the characters in it were a delight to get to know. I loved the spunky tone used and the colorful way in which everything is described in this book. It makes you feel apart of the story. I'm looking forward to reading the rest of this series.
Chrissy
The beginning of this book was hard for me. The points of view change constantly and I was having a hard time keeping all the servants straight. But by the middle of the book, I was hooked. I loved the ending. There are lots of editing errors, which was a bit distracting but this was a good book. Glad I read it!
Rosa
I have mixed feelings about this one. It seemed that the love story was actually secondary in the plot. While I like that the Duchess got her comeuppance, and I liked the character of Sassy. I don't know that I will read the next edition.
Annette Shaw
Loved this story! Not only are the character and scenes well developed the humor is delightful. I laughed at Sassy's antics along with the rest of the staff of Marblestone Manor and I can't wait for more.
Susan Harper
I liked the story, but whoever transcribed the book as an e-book did no proof reading, spell checking or grammar checking. I hate to be picky, but that takes away from my enjoyment of a book.
Anita
Great easy read. Reminded me of an American Dowton Abby! Great mix of the lives of Hammish, the Scottish duke, his sister and their staff in the golden age of gold mines and new wealth in Colorodo.
Mary
I really enjoyed this book. Hannish McGreagor is an honorable man and one to admire. I hope to read more in this series - want to find out what happens to some of the other characters.
Historical Romance: -Discounted - Scandalous Duchess Series 1 26 Feb 15, 2013 09:44AM
  • Something about Her (The Willoughby Family, #1)
  • Beyond the Cliffs of Kerry (Historical Fiction About Bold Women)
  • Rogue's Honor (The Saint of Seven Dials, #1)
  • The Good Knight (Gareth & Gwen Medieval Mysteries, #1)
  • Amethyst (Chase Family Series #1)
  • The Bride Wore Blue (The Brides of Bath #1)
  • Oh, Cherry Ripe
  • Never Miss a Chance (Kellington, #2)
  • The Seduction of Emily
  • A Dream of Daring
  • Mine, All Mine
  • The Monmouth Summer
  • The Nude
  • Cry of the West: Hallie (Finding Home, #1)
  • Come the Night
  • To Catch A Spinster (The Reluctant Bride Collection, #1)
  • Of Moths and Butterflies
  • Silver Storm (Rakes & Rebels, #1; Raveneau,  #1)
Marti Talbott lives in Seattle and has written several full length novels, including The Billionaire's Will, Seattle Quake 9.2, The Promise, and Broken Pledge.

She began writing the 14 book Highlander Series in August of 2009. Now, readers can follow the MacGreagor Clan into Colorado's early 20th century in her new Marblestone Mansion series.

To be notified when new books are available, visit www.
More about Marti Talbott...

Scandalous Duchess (10 books)
  • Marblestone Mansion, Book 2
  • Marblestone Mansion, Book 3
  • Marblestone Mansion Book 4 (Scandalous Duchess Series)
  • Marblestone Mansion, Book 5 (Scandalous Duchess Series)
  • Marblestone Mansion, Book 6
  • Marblestone Mansion, Book 7 (Scandalous Duchess Series)
  • Marblestone Mansion  book 8
  • Marrblestone Mansion, Book 9 (Scandalous Duchess Series)
  • Marblestone Mansion, book 10
Anna, Rachel & Charlet (Highlander #1) The Viking (Viking Series, #1) Seattle Quake 9.2 (A Jackie Harlan Mystery) Maree, Gillie, Jessup & Glenna (Highlander #2) Clare, Dolee, Catlin & Lasha (Highlander #5)