Start by marking “Phulova rota (Phulova rota, #1)” as Want to Read:
Phulova rota (Phulova rota, #1)

Phulova rota (Phule's Company #1)

3.91 of 5 stars 3.91  ·  rating details  ·  5,807 ratings  ·  111 reviews
Ingram Meet the soldiers of Captain Willard Phule's Company--a handful of military rejects able to do more damage before 9 A.M. than most people do all day. Threatened by an alien enemy, Earth's military sends Phule and his soldiers to a distant planet. But now, the aliens have chosen a new target of war . . . Phule's Company.

Behind the puerile punning names and extraterre
Published 1996 by And Classic (first published 1990)

To ask other readers questions about Phulova rota, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Phulova rota

D.M. Dutcher
WIllard Phule is the heir to a super-rich munitions company, and also an officer in the Legion. Unfortunately he gets a little too gung-ho during a peace treaty, and catches the ire of his higher-ups. They can't court-martial him, so instead they try to get him to quit by shipping him off to a remote swamp planet to command a company of losers. But Phule is far too entrepreneurial and positive-minded to let that get him down.

This is yard sale sci-fi. By that I mean you'd really never give this a
Felix Zilich
Не читал Асприна лет двадцать. Был уверен, что никогда к нему и не вернусь, но выпавшая в книжную рулетку “Шутовская рота” оказалась произведением почти бесконечной кавайности. Вещь простецкая, жанр – сатира с приставкой “милитари”. Ничто, на первый взгляд, не предвещает беды, но бьющий фонтантом альтруизм писателя чертовски мотивирует и поднимает настроение.

Уиллард Шьют – наследник крупнейшей оружейной империи. Гений экономической мысли, ставший мультимиллионером еще в подростковом возрасте бе
Chuck
A reread for me . . . I read the book in '90 when it first came out, thought I liked it, put it down, and didn't read anything else in the series.

Funny stuff--fans of Aspirin, of Harry Harrison, and of Piers Anthony will appreciate the slapstick, very tongue in cheek, mock-heroic nature of the events of the book.

Capatin Phule is a young multimillionairei who joined hte Space Legion for a variety of reasons; he has irritated the brass and has been put in charge of an Omega company stationed on
Diane ~Firefly~
Jun 17, 2010 Diane ~Firefly~ rated it 5 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: everyone
Shelves: sci-fi
I LOVE this book and think everyone should read it. In a vastly entertaining tale, it gives great examples of how to be a leader and learning to believe in yourself. And you'll probably never read about a better way to run the "confidence course".

The premise is The Legion is punishing an extremely wealthy officer (Phule) and basically wants him to quit so they assign him command of an Omega Company (the dregs of the dregs). This is sci-fi, but you won't really notice as it is about the character
Liz
Very entertaining, a great series for sure. I love the intrigue, all the different interesting and eccentric characters. The creative ways situations are solved and dealt with. I loved Asprin's "Myth" series, and this one measures up for sure.
Freyavenlyo
so, after years i'm up for reading the phule's company again.

for a long time, i had just the first three books of the series, because they were the only three translated into german. years later, when i started reading more in english, it came to my attention, that there were three more. yey! to bad, i never got around to reading them, just to own them. but now, the time has come, to give them a proper go.
the series is one of the few sf books i have, which i like very much. most because, i rea
Janice
Jan 15, 2009 Janice marked it as to-read  ·  review of another edition
i think i may have tried to read this author before, I'll try again however because he looks funny and I need to recommend something to eric. even though he doesnt like Sci fi so much
Becky
Police Academy in space. Super fun and readable.
Lucy
Did not finish.

I didn't dislike Phule and his butler but too many things rubbed me the wrong way.

imo it wasn't actually funny despite being billed as such. An irreverent tone does not comedy make. There is no satire. There is no true farce (at least in the half of the book that I read). The closest we get are quirky characters, but no one stood out for me.

Moving on to the actual plot line...

This Richie Rich fantasy is fun for a bit but over and over again ? nothnx. The wealth==merit thing, again
Julie
Jim
I just re-read the first book (27 Jun 2009). Now I remember why I liked it. It is fundamentally humor, but it has the deeper story of making a bunch of misfits believe in themselves, overcoming their short comings, and rising above themselves. I like success stories.

THE SERIES

Sci Fi Comedy. Pure and simple fun--with a solid storyline. They do not pretend to be anything else. I would recommend any/all of them (I'd have to re-read them to say which are best, but I don't remember any being particul
Alan Smith
When a writer attempts to combine SF and comedy, it often falls flat. I don't want to upset anyone by giving too many examples, but I'm sure every sci-fi fan can cite a few. You have to be really good to pull it off.

Well, Robert Aspirin is really good.

In fact, in my not-so-humble opinion this is three books in one. Firstly, an intelligently written and highly entertaining sci-fi tale. Secondly, a story about how a charming narrative about a likeable but unsuccessful group of misfits find their c
Saul
Though well written, I didn't enjoy it all that much.

I read this because I'm researching the Mil SF humor sub-genre. You see, I'm currently writing my own military science fiction comedy, and even though I did my first draft without any knowledge of this series, there are similarities. I suppose it goes to show you how hard it is to be original. Maybe that's the problem. Coming to this book with my own set of expectations, Asprin's treatment was shockingly different. All of which I can forgive e
Brenna
Living in complete oblivion with regards to his homophonic moniker, Captain Willard Phule rules his company of foul-ups and misfits with the greatest ingenuity shown in a book of its genre: sci-fi spoof.

As punishment for an unmitigated tactical maneuver (deliberately disrupting a peaceable interplanetary function), Phule is delegated to commanding what is known as an Omega Team - secret military slang for a forgettable company of soldiers who have proven to be untrainable (at least, according to
Becky
Having been in the military for 8 years I can really appreciate the characters in this book. They are all misfits, but you have to love them. Every unit, hell, even every group of friends, has a few characters from this book in the crew. Its just realistic enough to life that its particularly enjoyable without being disconcerting.

Robert Aspirin takes a certain taste, thats for sure. You have to be willing to roll with the punches. There is a massive neccessity for suspension of dibelief, because
Tracey
Picked this up over the weekend in belated tribute to Robert Asprin.

Lieutenant Scaramouche (aka Willard Phule, heir to the Phule-Proof Weapons fortune) has been assigned as captain of the Omega Legion, the dregs of the Space Legion. His superiors expect him to quit any day. But Phule is no fool, and is more than ready to rise to the challenge. The story is told through the eyes of Phule's butler, which lends an interesting viewpoint to a military-themed story.

While Asprin may not be as well kn
John Davies
I loved this book so much, I've re-read it many, many times. Willard Phule joins tha Space Legion (like the French Foreign Legion, they ask no questions about a persons past) and proceeds to show up his superiors. As punishment, he gets sent to take over a company of the worst soldiers in the Legion. His superiors hope that this will make him quit, and get rid of him. What they don't count on is his ability to make others want to do better, and that he's so rich, he can afford to buy pretty much ...more
Jessica
Huge departure from Skeeve and Aahz, but I liked it. I was drawn in by Willard and his trusty butler Beeker (who never once, I'm sad to say, let forth a "meeee-meee-meeeeee-meee!")

Despite his name, Phule manages to take a rag-tag group of misfits and whip them into shape, becoming the surprise elite of the Omega Company. He uses a mixture of his brains, his connections, his butler and the intense loyalty that he's able to inspire in his Company to change the perceptions of Omega Company and to h
Maria
Although I hate the cover, the writing has great visuals that more than make up for it. I still have a wonderful picture in my head of the alien on the glide board, but it looks nothing like the one on the cover. What I liked most about the book is the combination of humor and serious endeavor on the part of Willard Phule/Captain Jester (Captain Clown, according to the translator) and Asprin. I'm definitely looking for the next book in this series since the humor isn't obvious, slapstick-type hu ...more
Shelleen
Not my usual genre and not the usual book-club selection. Nonetheless, I liked it. It was a short, fast read. Which was why the hostess picked it. It is military science fiction. I would have to say my favorite part was the description of the Port-A-Brain. He was in essence discribing a modern-day iphone. Yet from a 1990 perspective, a small handheld computer that could access any database in the world without wires or phone cords, was science fiction.

The actual story line had a very Johnny Ling
Robin Halvorson
An oldie but a goodie, this has been on my list to read for a while. I loved the author's Myth series and finally got around to trying this series. I liked it enough that I am going on to the next book in the series.
C
Something of a militaristic sci fi...romp. If you like Piers Anthony's Xanth novels, you might like Phule's Company. It's a quick read and an uplifting, fun one. Phule reminds me a bit of The Tick meets Richie Rich meets an un-burdened-by-baggage Mal Reynolds. Good natured, quick witted, and richer than sin, he always lands on his feet & he's an excellent leader with a balance of optimism and forcefulness.

Actually that is what I liked best about it: while it is sunny and optimistic to an abs
Judy
I read the entire series. Books 1 and 2 were brilliantly funny.
They reminded me of the crazy military stories I had heard from my dad - the food, the trading between soldiers, the insane things they got away with. Captain Jester was clearly drawn from respected military leaders like Capt. Scott Sears who did whatever it took to build a company or a crew.
Unfortunately bob Asprin passed away during the writing of the series.
Book 3 was a little weak, but still consistent, but the rest of the books
Vincent
I loved this book as a teen. It's a hilarious military action adventure filled with the dregs and misfits of the galaxy that somehow win the day. Well worth the time to read.
Kayla
I had a day off and was looking for something relaxing, so I pulled from the shelf one of my old High School favorites. This is pure fluff, in the highest form, that I knew. I recognized that. Any book I can read in one sitting is. The issue is that what I had forgotten is that it isn't even really well written fluff. The Myth books are much better, I wish I had some of them still.
Tasilee
More a manual of good management and leadership than a science fiction novel. An ok read but not inspring or innovative, unless the plan was to educate?
Bridget
Loved this book the first time I read it. I have been looking for a copy to read again without much luck. Hopefully I can find the entire series soon.
Christopher
Set in a Sci-Fi scenario where multiple races coexist in more or less the same fashion as ethnic groups do today. This quick read by Asprin is not so much a Sci-Fi as a book about underdogs/group of misfits and how they become a top notch team. Their leader, who makes it happen is young captain Phineas Phule, son of a megamillionaire who has made his own billions through being a savy businessman who knows how to gets things done and considers the opportunity to work with the most backwater, rag- ...more
Caroline Berg
This is a classic comedy and one of my favorite sci-fi books, bar none. Willard Phule, in disgrace from screwing up a major command, is punished by being sent to play captain to the worst bunch of misfits in the Space Legion. What his superiors don't realize is that Phule has a knack for seeing the strengths in even the strangest of outcasts. With a little help from his trusted butler Beeker, and his vast fortune at his fingertips, Phule is able to turn the dregs of the Omega Company into a figh ...more
Sherry
I am a fool for Phule. It had me smiling a lot and even laughing out loud a couple times.
  • Callahan's Lady (Lady Sally's, #1:Callahan's Series, #4)
  • Sentenced to Prism (Humanx Commonwealth, #12)
  • David Falkayn: Star Trader (Technic Civilization 2)
  • Castle Perilous (Castle Perilous, #1)
  • Changer of Worlds (Worlds of Honor, #3)
  • Star Soldiers (Central Control, #1-2)
  • The Warlock in Spite of Himself (Warlock Series, #1)
  • With the Lightnings (Lt. Leary, #1)
Robert (Lynn) Asprin was born in 1946. While he wrote some stand alone novels such as Cold Cash War, Tambu and The Bug Wars and also the Duncan and Mallory Illustrated stories, Bob is best known for his series fantasy, such as the Myth Adventures of Aahz and Skeeve, the Phule’s Company novels and the Time Scout novels written with Linda Evans. He also edited the groundbreaking Thieves’ World antho ...more
More about Robert Lynn Asprin...
Another Fine Myth (Myth Adventures, #1) Myth Conceptions (Myth Adventures, #2) Myth Directions (Myth Adventures, #3) Hit or Myth (Myth Adventures, #4) Myth-ing Persons (Myth Adventures, #5)