Start by marking “Hammered: Memoir of an Addict” as Want to Read:
Hammered: Memoir of an Addict

Hammered: Memoir of an Addict

GNBraun led a life of addiction and slow decay. Drugs, crime and ennui pervaded every part of his day-to-day alienation. He dragged his way out of the pit without resorting to God or alcohol or any of the other crutches people commonly use. Here is his story. Pray your children don't make the same mistakes.
Published February 29th 2012 by Legumeman Books (first published February 8th 2012)

To ask other readers questions about Hammered, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Hammered

Winter of the Passion Flower by Annie SeatonVampire Origins - Project Ichorous by Riley BanksShadow Beneath the Sea by Joanna  LloydBeyond Innocence by Joanna  LloydEmbracing Scandal by Suzi Love
Australian Authors
584 books — 240 voters
Harry Potter Boxset by J.K. RowlingTwilight by Stephenie MeyerTo Kill a Mockingbird by Harper LeeThe Hobbit by J.R.R. TolkienPride and Prejudice by Jane Austen
Recommended Reads
1,551 books — 1,001 voters

More lists with this book...

Kev Stacey
Mar 17, 2012 Kev Stacey rated it it was amazing
A moving and at times disturbing tale of the insidious and destructive nature of drug addiction. In addition to the clear message of how destructive drug addiction can be is a message of hope, that if at first you don't succeed, try, try again, in this case the struggle to get clean and break free from the vicious cycle.
R.B. Clague
Jun 03, 2013 R.B. Clague rated it it was amazing
I have come know Mr. Braun as a personal friend over the last couple of years. Having said that I wouldn't provide a positive review if I didn't believe that his work was worth it.

To say that Hammered: Memoir of an Addict, is a compelling book is a gross understatement. It's a novel that many readers will find uncomfortable with its warts-and-all portrayal of addiction and the consequent lifestyle. So it should. It doesn't paint the author as an angel, nor does it demonize him. It just simply pa
Paul Bedford
Jan 22, 2013 Paul Bedford rated it really liked it
Harrowing, brutal, honest and heartbreaking, this is a raw account of one man's battle against his demons aided by any fucking drug he could get his hand on. The writing is economical while being anything but dry, and it sets a cracking pace that your eyes struggle to keep up with. Each chapter makes you feel like Mike Tyson’s punching bag.

I actually put aside another book I was very much enjoying because I simply had to know more of this confronting journey. I believe that's the biggest complim
Jaime
May 16, 2014 Jaime rated it really liked it
Hammered: Memoir of an Addict is a book that pulls no punches and takes no soft steps in recounting a tough life. Braun takes his life and puts it all on the page for you, letting you take from it what you will. This writing style takes you straight past any pretence and straight into the heart of matters. The 'heart' is often devastating and doesn't let you go until the last page. I found myself crying for Braun during the traumatic times, fascinated by his descriptions of drug culture and ...more
Dawn
Mar 07, 2012 Dawn rated it really liked it
A good insight into a life of drugs and the difficulties in getting clean. Well written, not over-sensationalised - this book makes you stop and think about how lucky some of us are and how the easiest choices are not always the best choices.
Lola LaLaLaLola
Jun 02, 2015 Lola LaLaLaLola rated it it was amazing
This is a very honest, gritty book. The author does not leave out any details, and for this I am thankful. To understand the life of an addict their story must be told from an honest perspective. All truth, no matter how difficult it might be to confess, is laid bare for the reader to dissect and take in. Because of this, we find a very human story. We can understand that there is a conscience within the heart of an addict, although they are powerless to overcome the evil voice that tells them ...more
Scott Tyson
May 21, 2014 Scott Tyson rated it really liked it
To say that Hammered took courage to write is an understatement. To open up in the way that G.N. Braun has in this tell-all memoir is something that most of us simply could not do. He has travelled to the darkest places, both literally and mentally, and miraculously survived. Not only that, it seems that he has now found his way toward true happiness.
The sobering truth of the matter is how easily one falls prey to addiction as it slowly creeps up and takes hold. This not only happened to Braun,
Greg Chapman
Aug 12, 2013 Greg Chapman rated it it was amazing
Braun's memoir Hammered is one of those pieces of non-fiction that is so engrossing, time just seems to slip away. The frankness with which Braun reveals his descent into - and rise from - heroin addiction is simultaneously disturbing and engaging. What fascinated me the most about his memoir was the fact that despite all the people he knew throughout his 20 years of drug addiction, the only true companion he had was the heroin. In the end it was sheer willpower and the desire not to end up like ...more
Wendy Vitols
Nov 17, 2014 Wendy Vitols rated it it was amazing
I found this account of addiction uncompromising in the telling. Once I started, I found it impossible to put down. The non fiction account was straightforward and steered well clear of sensationalising, or even preaching. And that is what made this book so much more powerful. I was reminded of the discomfort I felt when I read Candy, the brutality of the honesty and reality of addiction is what will ensure this book remains with me. It is the story. Pure and simple... Any change to this ...more
Dave
May 13, 2013 Dave rated it really liked it
If you are looking for a book that sensationalizes drugs this is not the book for you.
This book speaks matter of factually about life on drugs from the authors viewpoint.It is not sugar coated but rather a bleak matter of fact account of how Braun remembers the days of first trying drugs to finding himself dependent on them.The reader has gone along for a ride looking into a mirror of the life Braun lived.

In my opinion Hammered is up there with H Christiane F and is definitely a book worth readi
Letitia
Nov 22, 2014 Letitia rated it it was amazing
Shelves: memoir
I love the junkie memoir genre and especially when set in Australia, as is Hammered.
Five stars for the straight talking, no bullshit style of the narrator, as well as the lack of recovery speak.
As anyone who reads these memoirs knows, the NA dogma gets very tedious.
The narrator also gives some hope at the end, managing to wrangle himself free of his addiction and find a good life for himself, a good thing, as I found this guy very likable.
Alan Baxter
Jan 10, 2016 Alan Baxter rated it really liked it
Shelves: non-fiction, memoir
Thoroughly honest and brutally fascinating, this is a short book and it's clear that there's so much more to the story than that conveyed here. This account is a like a stone skipping along the surface of a life while all the real depth and detail is hidden under the surface. It's clearly catharsis for the author. But the short, read-it-in-a-night account is an enthralling peek into dark and complicated life. And it's a message of hope.
Anne Carmichael
May 16, 2014 Anne Carmichael rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Having led a rather milquetoast life, I found Mr. Braun's account quite disturbing; but I'm glad I pushed through to the end of the story...or should I say THE BEGINNING of a life of purpose and strength. I would recommend this book to all teens, young adults and mature adults who face life's challenges and temptations.
Morgan
Jun 26, 2013 Morgan rated it really liked it
Although this was a poorly edited book, the story itself is captivating and I read it all in one sitting. Joe's life and eventual recovery really gives me hope that maybe there will come a point when the "Joe" in my life will finally realize that there is more to life than drugs and will get clean. Thank you for sharing your story.
Joyce
Mar 31, 2012 Joyce rated it it was amazing
A very realistic look at just how insidious addiction and the accompanying self justification can be. Very gratified that the author was successful in his efforts to get clean. Such a brutally honest and moving account, very well written. Should be required reading for anyone who thinks drugs are "cool".
Jason Franks
Feb 13, 2013 Jason Franks rated it really liked it
G.N. Braun gives us an unvarnished look at the circumstances that drove him to drug addiction and his long battle to get clean and get his life back together. He makes no excuses and no apologies; he just tells us what happened, what he did, and what it was like.

Harrowing.
Annika Cleeve
Mar 22, 2013 Annika Cleeve rated it it was amazing
A book you are un likely to ever forget. I finished it last night, and dreamed about it. I feel it has got under my skin. Honest, sad, sympathetic and yet infuriating. This book should be recommemnded reading in every high school. Thankyou Mr. Braun for sharing your gripping story.
Lee Battersby
Jul 24, 2013 Lee Battersby rated it really liked it
Powerful, open, and brutally honest. Braun holds up a mirror to himself and unflinchingly reports what he sees. Tough stuff, but it results in a rewarding read.
Sarah Stacey
Jul 11, 2012 Sarah Stacey rated it really liked it
An easy, straightforward read. Insightful and heartbreaking. The dark and nasty world of drugs is life wrecking and I'm glad to see Mr Braun come out the other side a survivor! Thank you!
Shane
May 29, 2012 Shane rated it really liked it

A brilliant book.
Robert
Sep 25, 2013 Robert rated it it was ok
Twofold message: 1) don't do drugs. 2) don't waste your money on this book. End of story.
Wade
Jul 02, 2013 Wade rated it it was ok
Don't recommend it. Dry and not enough of how he turned his life around. Repetitive.
Michelle
Sep 13, 2014 Michelle rated it it was ok
Being a fan of the genre, I wanted to like this book. I really did. But reading it became chiefly a lesson in what *not* to do when writing.

Lesson #1: Always *proofread* your work thoroughly before publishing. From the introduction to the very last page, the volume was absolutely riddled with typos - from a multitude of punctuation errors (missing full stops, too many full stops, sentences beginning with a lowercase letter, missing words, the wrong words) to numerous grammatical mistakes. Okay
H.M.C. H.M.C.
Aug 22, 2014 H.M.C. H.M.C. rated it it was amazing
You know when you watch a movie or read a book and it stays with you, like the Titanic, or Once Were Warriors? Well for me, Hammered is going to be one of those books. To the tune of Candy (a movie I’ll never forget) with a male protagonist who happens to be sharing his true story, Hammered is revealing, raw, and filled with the stuffing of a mother’s nightmare.

It begins with Joe’s trip into childhood, the early abuse, and how drugs saved him. Isn’t it always the way? Drugs and alcohol help push
Martin Livings
Dec 11, 2012 Martin Livings rated it really liked it
Hammered is an extraordinary book, possibly due to its very ordinariness, if that makes any sense whatsoever. GN Braun has laid himself bare and raw in this memoir, and doesn't gloss over any of the facts. It's completely nonjudgmental and unsentimental, just a straightforward laying out of the facts, one after the other in a clinical yet conversational style that just highlights the reality of what happened. It's an engrossing read; I devoured it in less than 24 hours and found it fascinating. ...more
Caroline Angel
Nov 24, 2015 Caroline Angel rated it it was amazing
Heartbreakingly honest, this memoir is sure to give you a better understanding of an addict's life. We are quick to judge without having any real understanding. Well, with this gripping autobiography you will be shocked, saddened and grateful for the raw, honest account of one man's battle. It's so very comforting to know that he made it out the other side, and that this possibly cathartic story s the chronicle of that journey.
Greg Barron
Nov 11, 2013 Greg Barron rated it really liked it
A gripping and grim memoir. I read it in two sittings. Honest and uncompromising, Hammered is also well written and instructive. My hat goes off to this author, he has my respect.
Chrissy Bouton
Chrissy Bouton rated it liked it
Mar 15, 2013
Ji
Ji rated it it was ok
Sep 30, 2014
Kory Kolterman
Kory Kolterman rated it it was ok
Sep 30, 2014
« previous 1 3 4 next »
  • A Lost Argument
  • I'm Walking as Straight as I Can: Transcending Disability in Hollywood and Beyond
  • Dancing in Heaven: A Sister's Memoir
  • I Hardly Ever Wash My Hands: The Other Side of OCD
  • Prime Time
  • Haunt
  • Letters to a Young Madman: A Memoir
  • The Rejected Body: Feminist Philosophical Reflections on Disability
  • Wolf Hunt: The Burning Ages
  • Morning Is Dead
  • My Baby Rides the Short Bus: The Unabashedly Human Experience of Raising Kids with Disabilities
  • Angels of Pattaya: Inside the Secret World of Thai Prostitution
  • Is It You, Me, or Adult ADD? Stopping the Roller Coaster When Someone You Love Has Attention Deficit Disorder
  • Stockings and Cellulite
  • Web of Lies - My Life with a Narcissist
  • The Chalk Circle: Intercultural Prizewinning Essays
  • Scarlett's
  • Book of Prophecies
G.N. Braun is an Australian writer and twice Australian Shadows Award finalist-editor raised in Melbourne’s gritty Western Suburbs.
He is a trained nurse, and holds a Cert. IV in Professional Writing and Editing, as well as a Dip. Arts (Professional Writing and Editing).
At graduation, Braun was awarded ‘Vocational Student of the Year’ and ‘2012 Student of the Year’ by his college.
He writes fiction
More about Geoff Brown...