Start by marking “In Leah's Wake” as Want to Read:

In Leah's Wake

3.20  ·  Rating Details  ·  2,565 Ratings  ·  371 Reviews
WINNER, Global eBook Award, Popular Literature, 2012

WINNER, Indie Discovery Award, Literary Fiction, 2012

Hailed as "a masterpiece of psychological tension,"* this award-winning novel by Terri Giuliano Long is a wrenching yet ultimately uplifting story of hope, survival, and redemption.

Star player and captain of her soccer team, sixteen-year-old Leah Tyler has a bright futu
Paperback, Newly Edited Book Club Edition, 334 pages
Published February 23rd 2012 by Laughing Moon, New Edition (first published October 1st 2010)

To ask other readers questions about In Leah's Wake, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about In Leah's Wake

Natalie
Jul 14, 2011 Natalie rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Review: In Leah's Wake by Terri Giuliano Long
Synopsis provided by Goodreads

The Tyler family had the perfect life – until sixteen-year-old Leah decided she didn’t want to be perfect anymore.

While Zoe and Will fight to save their daughter from destroying her brilliant future, Leah’s younger sister, Justine, must cope with the damage her out-of-control sibling leaves in her wake.

Will this family survive? What happens when love just isn’t enough?

Jodi Picoult fans will love this beautifully writt
ѦѺ™
Aug 16, 2011 ѦѺ™ rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Call it a clan, call it a network, call it a tribe, call it a family. Whatever you call it, whoever you are, you need one. - Jane Howard

Leah Tyler is not your average teen. she is a star football player and her school work is brilliant . her father Will and her mother Zoe could not have been more proud to have a daughter like her. her sister Justine looks up to her, too. everything seemed perfect for Leah until she gets involved with Todd Corbett and his crowd. suddenly, her future and that of h
Melissa Storm
Zoe and Will Tyler led the perfect life in suburbia—a beautiful home, established careers, two sweet and talented daughters.

Their eldest, Leah, was widely considered the best soccer player in the state of Massachusetts; she was right on track for receiving an Ivy league scholarship, and from there, no one had any doubt that she’d live the perfect, privileged life.

Their younger daughter Justine was far more responsible than seemed possible for her twelve years. An excellent student, she was set o
Stacy Eaton
Oct 19, 2011 Stacy Eaton rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
In my job, I see these kinds of relationship between parents and kids, kids and other kids, kids and drugs and the downward spiral that it takes them all on. Being a teenager is hard these days, and Ms. Long did a great job showing a honest and deep problem that plaques so many teenagers, young adults and families these days.

This novel was written in a smooth style with a passion for detail. The characters, even the minor ones showed great depth and were easy to visualize throughout the story.
Leah Petersen
In Leah's Wake is a timeless look at teenagers, families, marriages, and what happens when you put them all together in a cage and let them have at each other. (OK, maybe not exactly that...)

Now I've never known of a Leah who was a know-it-all, rebellious teen, but I suppose it could happen. (*ahem*) But where this book really hits home is the truth in it. It takes the timeless story of growing up and loving and being loved, and it looks at it from four different angles: Will, the father and bre
Erin
Mar 15, 2012 Erin rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
I wavered on whether to give this book two or three stars..I ended up with three, because it was engrossing if not exactly well written. It needed a good editor between mispellings and errors, including that the author mispelled Kurt Cobain's name. (Really? She doesn't look that old!). I have to say that reading the book felt like watching a train wreck. The characters were not likable and were more cliched than realistic. Leah, we are told over and over again although we see no evidence of this ...more
Ann
May 17, 2012 Ann rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: No one
Shelves: not-so-fast
I understand that this is a first book and that the author teaches at Boston College. It is tremendously difficult to write a novel and to publish it, even self publish it. I respect those who do it. Because of that, I feel a certain obligation to say why I rated this one star.

The premise of the book: parents dealing with a 17-year-old daughter who goes from a soccer star with good grades to a drug user, school drop-out, dating a loser with a police record all in about 10 minutes flat.

I found
MB Mulhall
May 30, 2011 MB Mulhall rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
When I first read the synopsis for In Leah’s Wake, it struck me as interesting, but I wasn’t sure I was going to be able to relate. Being single and childless left me thinking it would be a good story but I might not walk away with the kind of reaction the author was hoping for. That idea changed as I got further into the book. Perhaps I don’t have children of my own, but I do deal with kids on a daily basis and I hope that I am teaching them good life lessons. Also, I found I knew variations of ...more
Sarah (Workaday Reads)
The Tyler's had a perfect life, happily married with two perfect teenaged daughters. Then Leah, the oldest, starts rebelling. Their lives very quickly fall apart as everyone struggles through their new reality.

This is a powerful story about one girl's rebellion, and the affect it has on her entire family. Told in alternating perspectives from all family members, it is a heartbreaking look at how easily things can fall apart.

It is very easy to see and believe how Leah's rebellion started, and the
Kayla
Jan 10, 2012 Kayla rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
2.5 stars. This book really disappointed me. It sounded so good, but I was not impressed once I got into it. Here are my problems: 1) The writing was all over the place and Long would completely switch topics without any transitions and I was often wondering "wait what is going on now?" 2) The editing sucked! There is no nice way to put it. I found errors throughout the whole book and they weren't minor...they were distracting and annoying. 3) The time the book was set (2000's) did not match up ...more
Krystal
Sep 14, 2011 Krystal rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This book is painfully honest. What happens when a perfect daughter decides to completely change her life? What are the consequences for the rest of her family and siblings? The reader will be introduced to the concept of extreme irony in this novel-the foremost being that the mother of the wayward daughter is a teacher who promotes the best possible futures for others' children. The daughter meets a secondary character, Todd, and her life disintegrates from there. The reader will wonder at the ...more
Vicki
Jun 29, 2011 Vicki rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fiction, 2011-reads
In Leah's Wake is a powerful novel about one teenager's decisions and the destruction it can displace on an entire family. The characters were well-crafted and you cannot help but feel connected to them. I wanted to scream, cry, shake some of them. I personally believe that this book can give most readers something to hang onto, whether you have raised teens or not.
Beth Peninger
Eh. About halfway through the book I had just about had it with Leah, her parents, and the story line. It became very tedious to read. I appreciate Long's attempt to try and write a realistic account of a troubled teen and the ripple effects it has on a family but this account was stereotypical of what a troubled teen looks like and behaves like. It REALLY annoyed me after a while.
Leah is a super star soccer player and pushing the limits with her family. She's recently started dating a boy to ol
Elizabeth Marshall
This book is as awesome as it gets!
A compelling and brilliantly executed portrayal of the trials and tribulations faced by two teenagers and their family, ‘In Leah’s Wake’ is a warm, beautiful and frightening microcosm of modern day family life.

The novel sees a sixteen year old girl abandoning her goal in life- soccer – to adopt a lifestyle of drugs, drink and reckless behaviour. Her relationship with no-good boyfriend Todd leads her down a path of self destruction. This relationship, and the tu
Dax Macgregor
In her début novel, In Leah’s Wake, Terri Giuliano Long takes the reader through a family’s emotional trauma as one of the daughters, a high school athletic star, suddenly abandons her straight-arrow, team captain ideals for a drug-dealing boyfriend’s party lifestyle.

Leah Tyler, captain of the high school soccer team, has a bright future. Clearly the best player in the state, she’s virtually guaranteed a full scholarship at any number of universities. Her Dad aspires for her to attend Harvard an
Sandra Stiles
The family that seems like they have it all together can be very dysfunctional. No matter what your profession, when your family is having problems, everyone in the family is affected. Leah was the member of the family who seemed to have everything. That is until she met her boyfriend. Instead of pulling him up to her standards, she lowered her own. She started drinking, smoking and doing drugs. Then she is kicked off of the soccer team. Leah makes one bad decision after another. She blames ever ...more
Sue Owen
Nov 17, 2011 Sue Owen rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
There were a lot of truths in this book and at times it was hard for me to read. Not because of the writing, but because the story hit close to home as it probably does for a lot of people. Troubled families are becoming the norm rather than the exception. Either that or we are just being made aware of them more often. This book was very well written and great care was taken to not label the rebellious, insensitive and scared teen as “the bad guy” because truly she isn’t.

I’ve read many books lik
Rachael
Disclaimer: The fact that I received a free copy of this book in exchange for an honest review has not affected my rating. This review expresses my honest opinions.

If you look at my recent ratings on Goodreads, lately I’ve been handing out lots of overall ratings of 5’s or 4’s. I feel like I’m just reading so many quality books right now, they all deserve these ratings. Luckily, In Leah’s Wake is one of those books, that I feel definitely deserves a rating of 5 stars.

The plot is definitely not s
Barbara Elsborg
Sep 05, 2013 Barbara Elsborg rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
I'm sorry but I didn't like it at all. It was a book club choice, not mine, a story of a dysfunctional teenager and the effects of her fall from grace on the family. I wanted to feel some connection with just one of them but I couldn't. I found myself wanting to skip pages to see if anything happened but nothing really did, it was just one long very miserable journey. I'm sure -sadly - that life is like that for some families and maybe some teenagers will identify with Leah and/or Justine but I ...more
Dora
Aug 19, 2012 Dora rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition

I found this book by accident but as soon as i read the blurb i knew i had to read it. Something similar happened in my family -- that something didn’t involve drugs -- but we suffered from the same destructive effects. My family never recovered so i wasn't expecting a happily-ever-after ending. What drew me in was my identification with Justine but i stayed, pulled in by the rest of the characters as they struggled with their pain and frustration and their lack of control . I think that Terri L
Andi Newberry ~Tubbs
Will and Zoe have the "perfect" suburbia life from the outside, yet if you were to look on the inside it's falling apart. Zoe is a life coach, and a counselor, yet she can't handle her own life at home. Will has his own business and is gone all the time, leaving Zoe to handle the girls on her own. Leah is the star soccer player on her high school soccer team and things are going great until she meets Todd. She believes she has fallen in love. She's late getting home one night, she tries sneaking ...more
Rachel Thompson
Aug 25, 2011 Rachel Thompson rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
LOVED it! Terri is a great writer. The portrait of this family torn apart by a rebellious daughter influenced by a bad boy was quite real. I felt for all the characters and all of their internal, and external, dramas. I loved how she created such rich character studies for each of the family members and allowed us into their very real lives. I could especially relate to the helplessness the parents must have felt.

This is a terrific book for any parent, especially mothers. It really touched home
Susan Salluce
Jan 07, 2013 Susan Salluce rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
As a therapist and author of my own psychological fiction book, Out of Breath, available on Amazon e-books, I found this novel to not only be a page turner, but an accurate description of what can happen when our youth are pushed too hard, parents stop communicating, and the family system breaks down. All too often, we are rushing from one appointment, practice, and activity to the next. Where is the time to share? Decompress? Laugh? I feel as though this book has the potential to wake up famili ...more
Jeannie Walker
May 11, 2011 Jeannie Walker rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Terri wrote a very good book. The characters of the Tyler family and especially Zoe & Will make so many mistakes. Their ineptness at being parents leave their daughter, Leah, with seemingly no other option than to run away. The mother, who teaches other parents, could not keep from making her mistakes with her own children. Leah (at one time) had everything going for her, but her problems escalate when she meets Todd. Unfortunately Leah's younger sister idolizes Leah and begins to follow int ...more
X. Williamson
Aug 08, 2011 X. Williamson rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Wow, this book is certainly special! It made me sad but I liked it.
It took me some time to finish it, not because I didn't like it, but because it is so intense. It is beautifully written and manages to express every feeling in a very strong manner. You get to love and hate the characters because of their flaws and mistakes. None of them are right yet you understand each and every motivation for their actions.
It is a really good book yet be advised, it is heartbreaking.
If you like dramas, you s
Stephanie Miles
I've had this on my to-read list for a while now and just got around to reading it. I didn't love this like I thought I would, it progressed so slowly! I would be okay with that if there would have been more character development but there just wasn't. The only change I saw in any of the characters was in Justine, the little sister. I hated the characters, I was so frustrated at their stupidity at times that I had to put the book down. I get that the whole point of Leah's character is to rebel b ...more
Max Read
Jul 25, 2014 Max Read rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
“A contemporary view of our mores and a family in peril”

“In Leah’s Wake” was written by Terri Giuliano Long; a first novel for Ms. Long and one she self published. Ms. Long was born in Dover Delaware in 1957 and lectures at Boston College where she teaches creative and non-fiction writing.

The novel by Ms. Long is of the fictional literature genre in the context of existentialism. The prose style is anonymous scene narration and character dialog. The writing is straight forward; a non-complex str
Amanda
Mar 31, 2014 Amanda rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: ebooks, drama
Do you ever leave a book on your Kindle or shelf for a while because you're not sure if you'll like it? I've done that several times, and every single time, I wish I hadn't. Last year, In Leah's Wake was offered for free one day, and after seeing it all over the blogosphere and Twitter for months, I thought I'd see what the fuss was about. But I'd heard it was sad, so I kept putting it off. I really have to stop doing that.

It was gritty and certainly not a fairy tale, but I didn't cry. I wish I
Cintia
Jul 13, 2011 Cintia marked it as to-read  ·  review of another edition
I received the book for free through Goodreads First Reads.
I received it on 7/8/11.

I want to thank Goodreads for providing the chance to participate in giveaways such as the one I entered, and to the author, Terri Giuliano Long, for generously giving away her books and for communicating with me in such a kind way.

I haven't read the book yet, but I will, and I'll be reviewing it here, hopefully soon.
Kate
Oct 16, 2011 Kate rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
more like 3.5- I thought the book was well written but the topic wasn't fun. It's about a teenager who was the "perfect" child and then she goes in a totally different direction and how it affects the whole family. It is one of many parent's fears about the teenage years. This was our next bookclub book and it should be an interesting group dicussion. I prefer to live with my rose colored glasses on and hope this will never happen to my family...fingers crossed :)
  • Simon's Choice
  • A Walk in the Snark
  • Dance Lessons
  • Twenty Weeks (Twenty Weeks, #1)
  • The Mirror & The Meretrix (Blackstone & Brenwen, #1)
  • Life is But a Dream: On the Lake (Grace Adams Series)
  • The Secret of Lies
  • Chasing Amanda
  • The Cowboy and the Vampire: Blood and Whiskey (The Cowboy and the Vampire, #2)
  • Maggie Come Lately (The Pathway Collection, #1)
  • The End of Marking Time
  • Here, Home, Hope
  • Sweetie
  • Promise Me (Promise Me, #1)
  • Angel
  • The Lonely Mile
  • White Chalk
  • Firebird (Apocalypto, #4)
Terri Giuliano Long grew up in the company of stories both of her own making and as written by others. Books offer her a zest for life’s highs and comfort in its lows. She’s all-too-happy to share this love with others as a novelist and as a former lecturer at Boston College.

While her passion lies in the written word, Terri’s primary inspiration comes from her interest in existential philosophy an
More about Terri Giuliano Long...

“With sports, you have no time to reflect. You just do.” 3 likes