Start by marking “La Bouteille endiablée” as Want to Read:
La Bouteille endiablée

La Bouteille endiablée

3.76 of 5 stars 3.76  ·  rating details  ·  1,657 ratings  ·  99 reviews
Peut-on négocier avec le diable? Peut-on, après avoir réalisé ses rêves les plus fous, vivre éternellement heureux sans voir un jour le destin se rappeler à nous ? Kéaoué, habitant pauvre de l'île de Hawaï, tel Aladin et sa lampe mystérieuse, pensait avoir fait une merveilleuse affaire en achetant une bouteille magique vendue par un marin. Il pensait, une fois sa fortune f ...more
Published 2011 by Phébus (first published 1891)

To ask other readers questions about La Bouteille endiablée, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about La Bouteille endiablée

Franco  Santos
Me lo dieron para leer en el colegio. No me acuerdo mucho de la trama, pero sí recuerdo que lo disfrute mucho. De las mejores novelas que me obligaron a leer.
David Sarkies
Is it possible for a rich man ...
22 February 2014

This is one of those little treasures that I have stumbled across in a collection of short stories of Stevenson's that are all have a supernatural theme and also generally creepy (which is what you get with supernatural stories). The Bottle Imp is a story of a native Hawiian (which is interesting in that the main character of this book is not Anglo-american) who is sold a rather magnificent bottle. Basically the owner of the bottle will come into
Christine
BBC Book at Bedtime

"All my fortune, and this house itself and its garden, came out of a bottle not much bigger than a pint."

The promise of wealth beyond imagining and his every wish granted tempts a young Hawaiian sailor to purchase an enchanted bottle. There's just one catch; if the owner should die before selling it on, his soul will burn in hell forever. Keawe reasons that the bottle should be easy enough to pass on once he has gained his heart's desire - but it must be sold at a loss, and th
Jeanette  "Astute Crabbist"
This was a fun bitty-bit of a story to curl up with when I couldn't seem to focus on anything more substantial. It's about a Hawaiian man and a magic bottle and a devilish conundrum. I wouldn't mind being the last one left holding the bottle, because I don't believe in hell. What a bargain, for a piddling little centime!
I loved Stevenson's word sketches of Hawaii and San Francisco and Tahiti as they were at that time.
Mizuki
This one is in fact very nice!
Althea Ann
A tale on the classic theme of ‘The Problems With Wishes.’ A man comes across the remarkable opportunity to buy a bottle containing an imp – who, genie-like, will fulfill all the wishes of his owner. The catch? If the owner dies in possession of the bottle, he or she will be damned for all eternity. The bottle cannot be given away, only sold – and it may only be sold for a lesser price than it was bought for.
It’s a great set-up, and Stevenson does it full justice.

It’s also worth mentioning that
Cwpper David
Oscar Wilde tiene un cuento donde el protagonista vende su alma por hastío, y cuándo quiere recuperarla descubre que ha pasado por tantas manos, y ha perdido tanto su valor, que no existe trueque posible. Aquí tenemos la misma premisa, pero con un diablo embotellado que concede deseos, una historia mucho más elaborada, unos giros bastante agridulces y un final no tan moralista.
Nathaniel
Katy
Apr 04, 2008 Katy rated it 5 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: everyone!
Recommended to Katy by: my dad
I finished reading this book last night and will have to say that this was a really awesome and probably the best short story that I have ever read. Robert Louis Stevenson is a really great that author that has amazing talent. I absolutely love LOVE his style. I read this book thinking that this book would be scary, because my dad told me that it would freak me out. WRONG! But whatever, this book is great. READ IT!!!
Caroline Barron
Such a beautiful, simple tale. Stevenson was well travelled through Hawaii and Polynesia and this tale - for it is a tale, based on a Faustian tale - is a reflection of all the magic he felt living in these lands. A familiar story, a imp in a bottle to grant wishes, but with joy arrives despair. Beautifully told, great moral story. What a talented man. Witten 1891.
Kathy
I love Stevenson's short stories in which his characters face moral dilemas that place their very souls in peril. This one is my favorite. It's about a man who has made a deal with a devil. Everything is going fine and it looks like he has escaped with is soul intact . . . until he falls in love!
Naty Flor
Rápido, divertido, cortito ¡Qué más pedirle a un autor como R. L. Stevenson!
Creo que tardé 45 minutos en leerlo, fácil para leerlo, no se queda en los detalles ni nada. Le doy 4/5 porque es una historia muy simple, pero está bueno y lo recomiendo :)
Joan Sebastián Araujo Arena
Acabo de releer este cuento.

La primera vez no lo había disfrutado dado que realmente no tenía interés en leerlo... Ahora, en cambio, me he encontrado con una historia relativamente sencilla que, sin embargo, nos recuerda que habría que estar muy seguro de qué es lo que se desea por capricho y lo que se anhela realmente. Pero no sólo eso, sino también que nada que se consiga fácilmente está libre de sospechas.

Y no es una reflexión innovadora, claro está. Cualquier persona que de la noche a la ma
Libby
I picked this up expecting a children's story and found instead a great fairy tale for adults about love and sacrifice and in the end, about human greed.
Doug
A childhood favorite. It didn't frighten me when I read it this time; but I was still in awe of how Stevenson tells a story.
Native Hawaiian Keawe buys a bottle promising love, fame and money - but there's a drawback.

Lou
That was pretty funny! I loved the story and also the end. It was great to hang out!
Armando
Mi primer libro, solo por eso le doy 5 estrellas.
George
Μικρή συλλογή που αποτελείται από τρεις ιστορίες.

Η πρώτη ιστορία, το Πνεύμα του μπουκαλιού, έχει να κάνει μ'ένα πνεύμα σ'ένα μπουκάλι, το οποίο προσφέρει ό,τι ευχηθεί ο κάτοχος του (πλην αιώνιας ζωής φυσικά), αλλά με κάποιο τίμημα για τον κάτοχο. Πρέπει να πωληθεί φτηνότερα απ'ότι αγοράστηκε, γιατί όσο είναι στην κατοχή του τόσο πιο μελαγχολικός και κατσουφιασμένος γίνεται. Και δεύτερον, σε περίπτωση που πεθάνει έχοντας ακόμα στην κατοχή του το μπουκάλι, θα καίγεται στην αιώνια κόλαση! Τι γίνετ
Tonk82
Contado como si se tratase de un cuento (que en el fondo, es lo que es), este relato de Stevenson tiene muy buenas ideas detrás.

La idea general es que hay una botella con un demonio dentro, que concede todos los deseos de quien la posee, pero con toda una serie de reglas de por medio. La más importante es que si uno muere teniendo la botella, va derecho al infierno, así que hay que venderla antes de que eso pase (no se puede romper, ni mucho menos regalar, siempre vuelve a tus manos)... el prob
Ashley
I was surprised by the straight forward method used in this tale. No tricks or hidden agendas with this book. Just a light read before bed that was worth reading in the first place. It lacked Stevenson's usual wordiness and excess detailing. The pacing was smooth and the story flowed nicely.
I rather enjoyed the story and couldn't get to the end fast enough to see how it all panned out. Definitely requires a rereading in the distant future.
Gina
A friend of mine recently introduced me to the BBC Book at Bedtime. And this was the first book I listened to. What a great story about wishes and motivation for a person's actions. I especially loved the ending. Plus the reader, Ian McDiarmid, added to the experience through his delivery of the story.

BBC Radio 4 - Book at Bedtime
Dione Basseri
Wish-giving vessels are a well-developed trope, as are double-edged wishes. So I was surprised that this story, having been written in the 19th Century, has something unique to offer to the theme.

The Bottle Imp will indeed grant wishes, but whereas many wish-giving vessels have uncertain origins, this one is straight from the Devil, and should you die with it in your possession, it will take you to Hell. The only way to rid yourself of the bottle is to sell it, and you may only sell it at a loss
Antreas Aristeidis
A brilliant book were shows the status of modern mankind. Namely, exhibit how everyone is seek to gain as much as possible, with the least possible effort. The book illustrates perfectly that people are ready to sell their souls to the devil to get rich. However, in the story exist and the example of someone who loves the bottle current owner enough to sacrifice its own soul for that person or the example of the man who believes that his soul is already destined to hell, so it does not matter hi ...more
Brie
I read this when I was... Perhaps 11 years old, and I can only remember that my impression from that time is that I really liked it. I would lie to you if I told you I can tell right now every detail about it but I do believe that this short story is interesting and worth picking up. It's just one of many stories that I carried with me when I was a child, oh, I actually went back and forth between this and The Canterville Ghost a lot. I enjoyed dipping my brain in some psychological thriller and ...more
Erika
One of those stories that have become so predictable and simple over time. We've all read or heard some version of this tale at some point so reading it isn't very engaging. I would have expected the writing to be great to make up for the simplicity of the plot but that was not the case. Seemed to me like a short story written for young readers.
Micaela
EU LOCO (perdón por el vocablo) yo me re acuerdo de este libro! lo leí cuando tenía menos de 10 años y me había encantado, trataba un montón de temas super interesantes mezclados con la fantasía. El final es algo abierto, pero creo que es el único final medianamente bueno que se pudo pensar.
Miguel Barrera
Muy buen cuento corto que a pesar de que tenga 123 años de ser publicada, siento que tiene una idea totalmente interesante y refrescante, realmente me sorprendió y me gustó bastante la historia contada parcialmente como un relato oral, como es una historia enfocada más que todo a un público juvenil, carece de los momentos totalmente oscuros de los cuáles podría esperar uno como adulto con ésta temática de historias, incluyendo el final, pero no todas las historias de éste tipo tienen que ser osc ...more
Thiago Lindon13
4,75

Es una novela verdaderamente increíble! Me encanto cada una de sus partes! La única razón por la cual no le di las 5 estrellas es porque me pareció que es una historia a la cual le faltaron un par de páginas y se podría haber desarrollado mejor, pero por todo lo demás, me encantó!
  • The Music of Erich Zann
  • Berenice
  • The Judge's House
  • The Country of the Blind
  • The Signalman
  • The Musgrave Ritual (The Memoirs of Sherlock Holmes, #5)
  • Practical Classics: 50 Reasons to Reread 50 Books You Haven't Touched Since High School
  • The Tale of Ali Baba and the Forty Thieves: A Story from the Arabian Nights
  • The Turn of the Screw and Other Stories
  • The Devoted Friend
  • The Tanners
  • Lord Tony's Wife
Robert Louis (Balfour) Stevenson was a Scottish novelist, poet, and travel writer, and a leading representative of English literature. He was greatly admired by many authors, including Jorge Luis Borges, Ernest Hemingway, Rudyard Kipling and Vladimir Nabokov.

Most modernist writers dismissed him, however, because he was popular and did not write within their narrow definition of literature. It is o
More about Robert Louis Stevenson...
Treasure Island The Strange Case of Dr. Jekyll and Mr. Hyde The Strange Case of Dr. Jekyll and Mr. Hyde and Other Tales of Terror Kidnapped (David Balfour, #1) A Child's Garden of Verses