Start by marking “Det bästa av allt” as Want to Read:
Det bästa av allt

Det bästa av allt

3.72 of 5 stars 3.72  ·  rating details  ·  2,591 ratings  ·  388 reviews
Det bästa av allt är en modern klassiker som skapade sensation när den gavs ut 1958. Aldrig tidigare hade någon skrivit så öppenhjärtigt om unga kvinnors verkliga drömmar, behov och längtan. Vissa chockerades, men det stora flertalet gladdes åt att äntligen få läsa en roman som speglade deras egna liv. Rona Jaffes debutroman blev en fenomenal bästsäljare och nu utges den p ...more
Published February 10th 2012 by Månpocket (first published 1958)

To ask other readers questions about Det bästa av allt, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Det bästa av allt

Kinga
You start reading this book and you think: oh, how great it must’ve been to live in the 50s in New York. The glamour, the cocktail hour, the restaurants, the handsome men who drank scotch on the rocks. The glory days when the bosses sexually harassed their female employees because that’s what you did, the times when marriage was the only serious achievement any woman could or should aspire to, the times when every man felt he could patronise any woman… Ok, so maybe it wasn’t so great after all, ...more
Rachel
When The Best of Everything was published in 1958, the cover price was 50 cents, and if it still sold for that today it would be way overpriced. I can't remember the last time I hated a book this much. I bear so much hostility for this book that I am practically giddy.

This is the story of four women who work for Fabian Publishing in New York in the early '50s. Ostensibly, Caroline is the smart ambitious one who wants to be an editor, April is the naive country girl who comes to the big city and
Pdxstacey
Aug 26, 2007 Pdxstacey rated it 5 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Depressed and glamorous people
You know that feeling when you get a book and after the first few pages you realize it's going to be great? That's this book. I could not put it down and finished it in less than 24 hours.

I am shocked this was written in the 50's. I am also annoyed I did not read this book when I lived in NY. I woke up early on a sunday (around 6am) and finished it.

This is chick lit before there was chick lit. Better than Valley of the Dolls, better than Candace Bushnell (although I don't like her stuff that m
Anne
Dec 02, 2007 Anne rated it 3 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: New Yorkers, women in the publishing industry, Carrie Bradshaw
In the preface to the new edition of this 1958 bestseller, author Rona Jaffe tells us that The Best of Everything is now "a sociological document," and it is certainly that: a pre-feminist era look at career girls (typists, editors, and actresses) in New York. I found myself fascinated by just how much -- and how little -- has changed for women as they search for "success" (friendship, work, love, marriage) in the city. Her portrayal of the book publishing industry also struck a chord. Several o ...more
Lisa
This book was written in 1958, so it is extremely dated. But I like Rona Jaffe, so I thought I'd give it a try. The story is of a group of young women who come to New York because they want exciting lives. They meet at a publishing house, and it talks about what turn their lives take. What I found interesting was the portrayal of blatant sexual harassment on the job. I remember the 1980s and it was bad, but not like this. In the 1950s, men thought any woman in the office was fair game, and she h ...more
Iris
Try to resist a book that opens with a breathy evocation of Monday morning, 9 o'clock, when thousands of girls emerge from Grand Central Station and subway exits, some in kidskin gloves and pomaded locks, some in torn dirty white gloves and a kerchief hiding their pincurls, all walking towards the skyscrapers where they fill steno pools.

The tension in this scene, ostensibly, lies between professional ambition and marital aspiration: "The Best of Everything" was published in 1958, and Jaffe's unm
Michael
One of the most honest and enthralling books I've read in a long time. I can't get over the fact that this was published in 1958. Either that's a mistake and it was published this year, or some things really don't change. There are lines in this book that I read over and over again because they resonated so strongly with emotions that I've felt in the past or I'm currently feeling.

Filled with laugh out loud moments, shocking moments, moments that make you hate these girls (because they make the
JoAnne Pulcino
THE BEST OF EVERYTHING

By Rona Jaffe

This is most definitely one of the golden oldies!!! Written in 1958 it was part of the vanguard that changed contemporary fiction. So many young women saw themselves reflected in the novel.

The story of five young girls trying to make their careers in a large New York firm rang true to so many of the lives of women in the 50's. It is a brilliant depiction of the personal and professional struggles that women found in the city and corporate world.
Maya Panika
I’ve wanted to read this book ever since Don Draper was seen with a copy, and the influences on Mad Men are plain; many of the characters in this book - about a group of girls coming to New York in 1952, in search of new lives but ultimately, in search of marriageable men - are instantly recognisable to a Mad Men aficionado.

It’s an old book, the author - a young girl when it was written - is now dead, consequently, it's somewhat dated, but it’s age shows in the content, the attitudes and mores,
Aspho
(My review written for Amazon UK)

“The Best of Everything” starts well and is, at first, a very engaging read. The first few chapters introduce us to the character of Caroline Bender and her first weeks as a typist at Fabian publishing. Gradually, the other three main female characters appear, as well as a host of other ‘extras’: colleagues, friends, terrible dates, boyfriends and families. However, of the four main female characters, it really is Caroline who gets the most ‘screen time’. The oth
Susan
Jun 07, 2009 Susan rated it 4 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: fans of Marjorie Morningstar and The Group
I'm not sure what it is about 1950s New York chick lit that I enjoy so, but it's a world full of crinolines and gloves, highballs (which are what liquor, exactly), endless parades of cocktails and brandies, and men and women who banter like hell afire. It's always a world where people are known by their last name and hometown (oh yes, the Cleveland Smiths) and everyone seems to have gone to the same dozen colleges.

This book follows a group of twenty-something "career girls" through the filth, g
Bekkac
I love this book on so many levels. Makes it into my all time favorites list. I adore the perspective of the 1950s, actually written in the 1950s. A 1950s Devil Wears Prada meets Sex an the City and Casablanca. It's gutsy, truthful, and relevant. Some exquisitely written passages that gave me chills.

-"You'll buy a drink and you'll take it outside on the terrace...And you'll be looking out at the beautiful tropical night and listening to music from inside the bar, and you'll sip at your drink, an
Beth
Julia Reed
"You see them every morning at a quarter to nine, rushing out of the maw of the subway tunnel, filing out of Grand Central Station, crossing Lexington and Park and Madison and Fifth avenues, the hundreds and hundreds of girls. Some of them look eager and some look resentful, and some of them look as if they haven’t left their beds yet. Some of them have been up since six-thirty in the morning, the ones who commute from Brooklyn and Yonkers and New Jersey and Staten Island and Connecticut. They c ...more
Jane
Wednesday 2nd January 1952; 8.45am; New York City:

“You see them every morning at a quarter to nine, rushing out of the maw of the subway tunnel, filing out of Grand Central Station, crossing Lexington and Park and Madison and Fifth avenues, the hundreds and hundreds of girls. Some of them look eager and some look resentful, and some look as if they haven’t left their beds yet. Some of them have been up since six-thirty in the morning, the ones who commute from Brooklyn and Yonkers and new Jersey
Missy Cahill
I hugely enjoyed this book. I think it had something to do with the glorious sunshine that we were blessed with this week. I can't believe this was published in the 1950s, it feels like a very risque book for that period. It's risque because it's true. And it certainly translates to today's modern woman. Yes some aspects of the books have changed, but it's still relevant in todays culture. This story really centers around Caroline & April, two girls, fresh to the sparkling bright city of New ...more
Blanca
Jaffe's debut has been underrated. Why has this not been on reading list from writers since the 50's?

It's subversive yet a little soapy, which is why I know it's been relegated to toe the line between the dark corners of literary fiction and the pulpy titles the girls help publish in the novel.

There is more owed to this book and what it foretold about women and feminism without being preachy about it. The overall tone of the book is timeless and was very modern for the time; and at the same tim
Shelley
Oct 11, 2009 Shelley rated it 4 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Mad Men fans, Sex in the City fans
Shelves: historical, classic
Oh, Caroline. This bills itself as five office working girls in the early 50s, but Caroline was really the main character. I really enjoyed this and was taken aback by how entirely modern it still felt, despite being written and set in the 50s. Even the slang and language wasn't dated. I liked the girls we followed, especially Barbara and Caroline, and really rooted for them to figure everything out and get what they wanted. Bits were sad and shocking, poor Gregg, and I wish Caroline had a more ...more
Kristen Carannante
My single girlfriends in NY would say, "The more things change, the more they stay the same."

The Best of Everything follows the lives of female office workers in a publishing house in 1953 -- from the talented, underpaid editor; the young, hopeful bride-to-be; the girl trying to break into show business; to the girl who fell off the turnip truck who finds herself pregnant and hanging on to promises that will never come to be.

Each story is wound up -- some neatly, some not -- in a satisfying way
Megnificentfig
This book is wonderful time capsule of what it was like to be young woman in New York in the '50s. It's a page-turner until the end, but I was disappointed with the second half of the book. The female characters' happiness became completely dependent on the men in their lives.

I know, I know--it was a different time. But, books like Jane Eyre are evidence that the era in which a book was written doesn't have to stop the writer from challenging antiquated male/female constructs.
Yvonne Ryan
Ok, it's a soap but it's quality soap. Characters that resonate, a glimpse into world of the generation of women who laid the groundwork for my generation to get jobs and expect to be treated equally (yes, I know it hasn't quite happened like that but we have to keep trying). The ending isn't quite as good the rest of the book, it sprints to a conclusion and is less convincing than other parts of the book but it's still an excellent read, which is what this site is about isn't it?
Emily
This was an interesting read, mostly for the history of the book itself. It was written in the 50s, about young working women in the publishing world in NYC. Kind of like Mad Men, but from the other side. There is a glimmer of feminism in it, but there's also a lot of crazy, husband-hungry girls. Oddly, I really liked how it ended for my favorite character, Caroline the Radcliffe grad. Won't give it away, but I am really glad she made the decision she did.
Tracy Terry
First published in 1958, call me cynical but I can't help but wonder how much the decision to re-issue the book was based on the novels front cover 'claim to fame' that it was seen being read by one of the characters on the highly popular television series, Mad Men.

Seemingly thought of as scandalous and racy at a time when I'm informed the issues featured simply weren't spoken of much less written about I thought this a novel very much of its time.

A story of a group of women new to New York. Whi
Jan
I find it comforting to read older books and be reminded that the more things change, the more they stay the same. It's refreshing to pick up a book from the 1950s and see it covering such topics as workplace sexual harassment, premarital sex, infidelity, and abortion, all in a fairly straight-forward fashion, with limited euphemisms. The "good old days" were not, after all, so good. There is no magical time when everything was perfect. I think that's important to remember when we get discourage ...more
Marie
I got four chapters into this book, then gave up. It's facile and predictable.

In her 2005 foreword, Rona Jaffe said: "I was so proud of the fact that my publisher made no revisions except for grammar and spelling.... The book was published less than a year after I left my parents, got my own apartment, and began it." I think that sums up just about everything that's wrong with this book.

Nancy L.
I really admire this compulsively readable novel. It stands the test of time well.

I adore the movie and I've just realized I'd never read the novel. And I find that the novel actually holds up very well. Highly recommended, especially for viewers who have been enjoying MAD MEN.
Mary
This was a lot of fun until the end, when I learned/remembered that in 1958 women abandoned self-fulfillment to be: deluded & happily married, unhappily married & longing for the past, or crazy & dead. Look how far we have/haven't come!
Clare
Aug 12, 2010 Clare rated it 2 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: fans of Mad Men
Most of my issues with this book can probably be chalked up to generational/temporal difference. Nonetheless, I found the way the women related to men just depressing. And yet it was engaging and an enjoyable read. So, you know, ok.
Carrie
Sex and the City, early '50s edition. Well written, sharp, witty, heartbreaking.
Jayne Charles
This was like Jane Austen with added booze, crossed with Maeve Binchy with the nuns taken out. Set in New York in the 1950s it follows four young women as they seek work and romance and between them drink enough spirits to float a boat. It captures a time when post-war optimism and new freedoms are there for the taking but where everything still comes down to the marriage game in the end.

I read it at breakneck speed – it’s good honest storytelling, readable and impossible to put down once you ha
  • The Group
  • Swimming in the Steno Pool: A Retro Guide to Making It in the Office
  • Bride Flight
  • Mariana
  • Harriet Tubman: The Road to Freedom
  • Between Friends : The Correspondence of Hannah Arendt and Mary McCarthy, 1949-1975
Rona Jaffe established The Rona Jaffe Foundation Writers’ Awards program in 1995. It is the only national literary awards program of its kind dedicated to supporting women writers exclusively. Since the program began, the Foundation has awarded more than $850,000 to a total of 92 women.

Ms. Jaffe was the author of sixteen books, including Class Reunion, Family Secrets, The Road Taken, and The Room-
More about Rona Jaffe...
Class Reunion The Room-Mating Season Mazes and Monsters The Road Taken After the Reunion

“But fathers always thought their youngest daughters were rather special” 2 likes
“It was funny, she thought, that before she had ever had a job she had always thought of an office as a place where people came to work, but now it seemed as if it was a place where they also brought their private lives for everyone else to look at, paw over, comment on and enjoy” 1 likes