Start by marking “Fearless (Elemental, #1.5)” as Want to Read:
Fearless (Elemental, #1.5)

Fearless (Elemental #1.5)

3.73 of 5 stars 3.73  ·  rating details  ·  2,639 ratings  ·  255 reviews
Being a force of nature doesn't keep you safe.

Hunter Garrity is used to watching his back. The kids at school sense something different about him. And they're right.

Hunter has powers that have nothing to do with how hard he can throw a punch.

Maybe that's what Clare Kasten is picking up. She's shy, quiet, and intense, but she's sought him out. There's no telling what she
Published July 31st 2012 by K Teen (Kensington) (first published January 1st 2012)

To ask other readers questions about Fearless, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Fearless

Free Four by Veronica RothDestroy Me by Tahereh MafiHana by Lauren OliverGlitches by Marissa MeyerSummer's Crossing by Julie Kagawa
YA Short Stories and Novellas
47th out of 518 books — 1,016 voters
Finale by Becca FitzpatrickClockwork Princess by Cassandra ClareCity of Heavenly Fire by Cassandra ClareAllegiant by Veronica RothOnyx by Jennifer L. Armentrout
Books That Need To Come Out Sooner!!!
152nd out of 433 books — 563 voters

More lists with this book...

Stacia (the 2010 club)
It would figure that the first time a girl wanted to talk to him, he'd knock her flat.

3.5 stars. Aww...it's wittle Hunter. You read that correct. I didn't do a typo there. I wrote "wittle" as in "want to pinch your cheeks because you're so adorable" Hunter. Even though I think this story took place right before he moved to the place he was living at during the book Storm, he seems so young and clueless in this previous life.

When did you get your confidence mojo, Hunter? I had no clue that y
Anna (Bobs Her Hair)
May 07, 2013 Anna (Bobs Her Hair) rated it 3 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: Kemmerer's Elemental Fans
3.5...Well-written, Not Much of Story

Hunter,a secondary character in Storm (Chris Merrick and Becca),stars in this wee bitty short (less than 50 pages). Basically, we get his backstory. Set before his father and uncle's deaths, Hunter learning what it means to be a fifth element. There are interactions with his father and uncle to provide some of his motivation in Chris Merrick's story. There's still some mystery to his character, and Spirit(Hunter's story) will most likely answer some questions
Dana

This was an okay novella. I did however prefer the Elemental novella more. I've liked Hunter right from the beginning so this story didn't really change my opinion of him but for his critics,this book might make them soften towards him. Overall solid story but nothing special.
Joana

Fearless is told on Hunter's POV and the events are set before Storm.
It'll gave you a better understanding of what he was coming from and a glimpse of what he suffered and how he was raised.

Hunter was constantly bullied, an effect of his power has a fifth... but now, he could hold his own, he learned to fight back. But still, every single day he had to take new routes from school to home, try to avoid more confrontation.

To say he was lonely it was a bit of an understatement ...

It would figure t
Carol [Goodreads Addict]
This short little novella was a look into what Hunter's life was like right before his father was killed. He is 16 years old. We really get a look at the relationship between he and his father. Also, the bullying he suffers at school from a few of the older boys. Hunter has been taught by his father how to protect himself but he'll go to great lengths to avoid having to fight them. We also get a look at his first experience with a girl. He goes to school with Clare but he doesn't know her at all ...more
Katy
I don't know what I was expecting because I never really had feelings for Hunter one way or another. On one hand, he wasn't a particularly trustworthy and immediately likable guy because he was always reserved and mysterious where you just knew there was something he was hiding. On the other hand, I did sympathize with him because Becca was such a witch to him in book 1.

It was definitely an interesting insight to Hunter, especially since he was so in the shadows in the first book. You have a bet
Sarah (saz101)
A quick, riveting prequel to Brigid Kemmerer's action-packed Elemental series, FEARLESS will do nothing to sate fans hunger for more. It is, however, an unmissable addition, offering teasing hints of one of the series most enduring riddles: Hunter Garrity.

Throughout Storm and Spark, Hunter has proven himself a mystery: his actions and motivations are often hard to pin down, and he's a man of many secrets and questions, but no definite answers. If Fearless is a small peek at what readers can expe
Brigid
Aug 02, 2012 Brigid added it  ·  (Review from the author)
While the events in this book take place before Storm Elementals 1, I recommend reading it after Storm. This is Hunter's story before he meets the Merricks, so it's full of spoilers if you haven't read Storm yet. :-)
07meganf
Wait so fearless and spirit are all about hunter?????!!!!! WTF!!!! What has the world come to?! I HATE hunter! Chris is a wayyyyyyy better guy.
Nadia
Too bad it's only a short story, because this had so much potential. I wish Kemmerer turned this into a full novel. Guess I'll have to wait for book #3 to see how will Hunter's story work out, but basing on Fearless, it sounds promising.
Maria
Sep 14, 2012 Maria rated it 5 of 5 stars
Shelves: magic
“Fearless” is a novella by Brigid Kemmerer and it’s Hunter’s story before we get to know him in “Storm”. Basically, it’s a “how Hunter became the Hunter we know” story.

It’s too short even for a novella and I really wanted to know more about him before the tragic events in his life. He is a Fifth and that means that he is connected with all the five elements and at the same time he is connected with everybody around him.

He is very different back them. Definitely more shy and awkward around girl
Amber J.
This was the perfect follow-up to Storm...and I'm not just saying that because Hunter is my favorite character in the series. I think I loved this novella more than Elemental.

We get to see who Hunter was before he came to Merrick-ville lol, and we learn how and why he became the man he is now.

We also get to meet Hunter's father and uncle. They are no longer figures in Hunter's recollections - they have form and (for better or worse) substance. Despite his somewhat questionable parenting methods,
Navdha
I wasn't expecting to like Hunter's story as much as I did.

This short novella was a great insight on why Hunter acted the way he did in Storm. I thought he was a decent guy in the book but after reading his side of story, I think he's great. His father and Uncle both played a very important role in his life and had taught him everything he needed to know about being an Elemental, defending himself and making important decisions. I wouldn't say that his Dad and Uncle were always right but they h
Veronica Morfi
Fearless is the background story of Hunter, before he moved and before his life went south. Or at least before the accident that killed his father and uncle, cause let me tell you his life was far from perfect. His house was like a military base, every little thing that Hunter did was for training, even things that didn't seem like it. And I understand that his father probably only wanted to make him strong so he can protect himself and get him ready for being a Guide, but it was a little bit to ...more
Nina
It was interesting to see a less confident and mature Hunter, and it made me even more interested to find out what the hell the deal is with him.
His first time socialising (ha) with a girl was admittedly unpleasant, but I wished for something darker. I'm a little bit disappointed, tbh, but I can't say it was unexpected. *sigh*

BK's writing does feel smoother though; the setting and feel of a scene are conveyed with less words and more precision - good step ahead. Just ramp the dark-and-twisted up
Brandi Kosiner (Brandi Breathes Books)
I really liked being in Hunter's head. This novella did its job and gave me insight into his character, and I really appreciated getting to hear from him about his dad and his uncle.
I was curious about Clare and her interest in the guns, but that did lead to a deliciously hilarious conversation about rifles raiding the refrigerator in the middle of the night.
Again though, it felt like right as I was REALLY getting into the story, it stopped. And again, yes I know what happens with Hunter, b
Camila, the opinionated Catruler
This is one entertaining short-story about Hunter's last days of "normal", before the accident and the events in Storm. It was so weird to read about such a pacific, introverted Hunter. But I liked to see how he became the hot, awesome guy I loved in the first Elemental book. Really looking forward to his book.
Braiden
I’ve learnt something: to tread with caution because girls can use me. Thanks Brigid for that lesson. I think I’ve learnt it already though with knowing about twenty-something-year-olds smooching up to fifty-year-old single men who have pockets deep with money.
Trisha
Is it wrong that I know him better now but still don't like him? and don't forgive him??

I can't wait to read more of this series!
karly
Wow okay. So I'm really eating this series up. This novella is about Hunter's past and it will totally give you a new perspective about Hunter :)
OceMei Belikova♥
Fearless is a short novella of Elemental series. It's about Hunter. If you have read the first book, then you must have known Hunter and his hidden power. But if you haven't read it yet, then it's not a problem if you want to start reading Fearless first.

For me who have read Storm first, I get to know that Hunter is a new guy in the town. He involved with love triangle with Becca and Chris. Hunter is a good guy but not that good compare to Chris. I can tell that Hunter was a bit confused in maki
Tabitha (Bows & Bullets Reviews)
This review is also available on my blog, Bows & Bullets Reviews

Hunter Garrity has always been picked on in school. He knows how to defend himself, but doesn't really want to fight so mostly avoids the bullies. So when Clare approaches him wanting help, he's a bit off kilter. She claims she just wants information, but is she telling the truth?

I'll admit I've been avoiding this. I should have read it when I read all the previous books, but I'm not exactly Hunter's biggest fan. Now, since I am
Jenn
3.5

Considering I'm still on the fence about how I feel regarding Hunter, I really enjoyed this look into his past.

Fearless takes place before Hunter ever meets the Merrick brothers. His daily routine includes finding new routes home so that he doesn't get beat up by the local boys and training with his father and uncle. Right away you can tell how isolated Hunter is and unused to interaction with peers his own age - given how he literally takes down a girl trying to talk to him.

She pulled an ar
Jen (The Starry-Eyed Revue)
Hunter Garrity entered the Merrick brothers' lives as a bit of an enigma. But in this novella, we get a peek at what happened before Hunter tracked them down, who he was before. And it's not all rainbows and sunshine. Don't get me wrong...he didn't have a crappy childhood or anything...just a really strict upbringing. His father expects him to handle all Elementals business in the same fashion that he himself would, but Hunter is still learning.

Hunter is a Fifth, which is a pretty lonely existen
Kristin
I'll admit, I'm not the biggest Hunter Garrity fan. He's always so elusive and mysterious. He also has these ninja-like tendencies to pop-up unexpectedly. Seriously, how does he do that?! But that's beside the point. The point is that after reading FEARLESS, an elemental novella, I've developed a bit of a soft spot for Hunter.

Okay, more like a huge soft spot for Hunter.

Like any good novella, it was wonderful to delve into this character's backstory. While STORM and SPARK left me reeling, I reali
Kate
Hunter Garrity, a Spirit Elemental, is one that I adored from the first time he and his crystal bracelets and his gorgeous ex-police dog, Kasper. This is a little story that occurs before he moves and gets involved with Becca and the Merrick's drama and it shows a different side from the character I was familiar with. He's somewhat innocent and naive to the ways of the world.

School hasn't been kind to Hunter and he's used to being tormented by the other kids. So it's a surprise to him when Clare
Mitch
Fearless is pretty good for a five chapter novella. Usually with these tie-in short stories there's not much of a plot, or at best something tangential or unsatisfying, but there's actually a great backstory for Hunter here. I wouldn't say it's required reading, at least for the first book, Storm, but it is a great supplement because there are definitely scenes from that book I can recall and I'll now go, oh yeah, huh, new light.

Everything takes place almost immediately before Storm, though Hunt
Sarah (Head Stuck In A Book)
I really liked Hunter's character in the first book Storm, and I was intrigued when I discovered that this novella was about his life before the events that took place in Storm.
This story explains the time leading up to the incident that occured with his father and uncle, and his time at his previous school when he was a victim of bullies.
Hunter was very naive and nothing like the teenager that he is now, having Clare suddenly befriend him, he doesn't think that she might have a motive, he's jus
J.A. Belfield
Okay, I officially like Hunter a lot better.
It’s not that I didn’t like him in Storm. More that I just wanted Becca to be with Chris and Hunter was kind of getting in the way.
Well, what a difference having him as the frontline character can make.
Yes, Fearless is real short (not a problem when it’s pretty cheap to buy), but I felt as though I learned so much about Hunter’s character in here, as well as about his family background, that I now understand his motivations in Storm a lot better. It
Abbie
Prequel to Storm (Elementals no.1) gives a little insight to what Hunter's life was like before his father died. Also, you can see his first interactions with a girl, Clare. This book is mostly adorable.

Could do with more description of the characters, as they still seem bland, but a little better than before. It's really rather interesting to see what a 'good' life for an elemental is, rather than seeing when they're being hunted (e.g. Elementals No.1 Storm). It is more descriptive than before,
  • Untouched (Denazen, #1.5)
  • Undone (Unraveling, #1.5)
  • A Dawn Most Wicked (Something Strange and Deadly, #0.5)
  • Shadow
  • Glitter & Doom (Masque of the Red Death, #1.5)
  • Valkyrie Symptoms (Valkyrie, #0.5)
  • Severed (Fated, #2)
  • Neverfall (Everneath, #1.5)
  • Secrets of the Time Society  (Timeless, #1.5)
  • The Summer Before I Met You (The Lynburn Legacy, #0.5)
  • Radiant (Unearthly, #2.5)
  • Ethan (Brightest Kind of Darkness, #0.5)
  • The Liberator (Dante Walker, #2)
  • Impulse Control (Talent Chronicles, #0.5)
  • The Enchanted Truth
  • Annie and Fia (Mind Games, #0.5)
  • The Department of Alterations (Crewel World, #0.5)
  • Ferragost (Lumatere Chronicles, #2.5)
Brigid Kemmerer finds the time to write somewhere between caring for her family and working at her day job, but sometimes she ends up mothering her coworkers and managing her family. The Elemental Series follows a family of four orphaned brothers who control the elements of Earth, Air, Fire, and Water, and their battles with those who want them dead.

I love friends on Goodreads, so don't hesitate
More about Brigid Kemmerer...

Elemental (5 books)
  • Storm (Elemental, #1)
  • Spark (Elemental, #2)
  • Spirit (Elemental, #3)
  • Secret (Elemental, #4)
  • Sacrifice (Elemental, #5)
Storm (Elemental, #1) Spark (Elemental, #2) Spirit (Elemental, #3) Elemental (Elemental, #0.5) Secret (Elemental, #4)

“Does it scare you?” said Clare. “Living in a house with guns?”
Hunter smiled. “It’s not like I wake up in the middle of the night to find them staring down at me.”
“Shut up.” She gave him a light shove. “No, I mean, are you ever worried you’ll accidentally get shot?”
“You mean, when I catch the assault rifle raiding the refrigerator? Like maybe it’ll turn on me?”
Her breath caught again. “You have an assault rifle in your house?
“Sure. It’s partial to lime Jell-O.”
7 likes
“Hunter held out the gun, stock first. “You want to just shoot me and save Dad the time?”
Jay smiled and took the weapon, checking the magazine before putting it back on the wall. “He’s not going to shoot you.”
“That would be too quick?”
6 likes