Unforgotten

Unforgotten

3.92 of 5 stars 3.92  ·  rating details  ·  106 ratings  ·  21 reviews
This striking, evocative book is a testament to Tohby Riddle's skill, dedication and commitment to making a strong statement that he believes in. It's a book about light and dark, doubt and faith, friendship and compassion.
Riddle’s representations of the strangeness of the urban landscape evoke a sense of movement that has been captured – and stilled momentarily – as if by...more
Published September 1st 2012 by Allen & Unwin

Michelle Cristiani
Very pretty story of angels among us. It's a skinch trite towards the end but still carries a strong message of mindfulness.
Marj
A beautifully rendered evocative picture book for the older reader. There's a mystical, poetic, almost spiritual aura to this book that's very comforting to the reader. A masterpiece.
Sara
An enchanting story about Angela with beautiful drawings & photography & unique storyline. It enchanted me from the very first page and was a really quick read. The photos/ pictures is what really captured my attention. It covers things in life that we take for granted. We always being guarded from harm by something we can't see & when will know to give back? It's a must read. Though might I add that what really made me catch sight of this book was the authors name Tohby Riddle which...more
Angie
Unforgotten is an illustrated poem. It shows angels looking over us until one of them falls to earth. The angel becomes frozen until someone notices it and brings it back to life. I found the illustrations really interesting as all the people are either photographs or works of art. The angels are simple black and white line drawings that really stand out against the colorful backgrounds. This is a different kind of book, but one that was worth the read.
Jess
A haunting beautiful story! Children’s author-illustrator offers this graphic novel geared towards adults but accessible for children as well. In it child-like angels “come to watch over and to warm and to mend,” but in our troubled times sometimes it takes a toll on them. This is a lovely mix of hand drawing and collage creating a poignant story. Fans of the strange and wonderful, like Shaun Tan and Dave McKean, should check this out.
Belinda
Exquisite--I can't think of a better word for this book. I came across it in the library yesterday and read it this morning in what felt like an instant. It's almost a long poem broken down among beautiful, multi-media artwork. The art takes photos from many sources, including a series of photos taken by the author's father on a trip in the fifties and mixes them together in a divine melange of statuary, photos, drawings and poetry. It tells the story of what appear to be guardian angels and one...more
Jenny Lynn
An interesting graphic novel full of pretty artwork and juxtapositions and a simple yet beautiful story. It was interesting and not at all what I expected but still pretty good. Personally I wish there'd been a little more to the story, but in the end its simplicity was refreshing and made for a very quick read, leaving plenty of time to stop and examine the artwork.
Julie
Jun 19, 2014 Julie rated it 4 of 5 stars
Shelves: 2014
A hauntingly illustrated poem. Invoking the oddity of cities, and civilization, by using statue heads, masks and other things for the people in them. Sparsely worded and almost melancholy. I would pick up this book again just to look at.
Shannon
Concept 'graphic' novel. Mixed media poetry? Interesting idea and highly moody. I prefer something with character development, so this isn't really something that I can effectively review.
Shane Sisi
Angels roam the earth. It's a given. But what happens when one is earth bound. Do they get trapped. Stuck in our mire. Overwhelmed. Unseen. Forgotten. Where do angels fit in?
Debra
Mar 16, 2014 Debra rated it 4 of 5 stars
Shelves: 2014
I love finding these finds in the library. Angels in flight watching over us and one has fallen to the earth.
Courtney
This lovely graphic novel depicts angels watching over the affairs on earth. Eventually, the strain becomes too much of one of them and the angel sinks to earth. Immobilized by the overwhelming struggle, the angel is mistaken as a statue. Eventually, a rag-tag group of beings start to rehabilitate the angel.
There's minimal dialogue; the story is mostly told through pictures. The artwork is absolutely gorgeous. It's mixed media and it's beautiful. This is a very fast read, but the story and art...more
Wendy
Beautiful, haunting, ethereal. Loved it.
Shaun Tan does a better job blurbing this GN than I ever could. Wonderfully quiet and touching.
Sarah Mayor Cox
Have always loved Tohby Riddle's work. Unforgotten takes his work to new heights though (pardon the pun). Hear my review of it and interview with him and Ann Jones on ABC Central Vic local radio 91.1FM here:

Tina
I get the whole magical guardian angel thing, but this didn't quite do it for me. I usually love Tohby Riddle's picture books - so quirky and smart - but I just didn't quite like these illustrations. The message is good, but it seemed too drawn out. I really wanted to love it, but....
Dave Riley
Delightful. A persuasive universe with its own mood. Wonderful use of montage elements and suggestive words. Think Raymond Briggs.'Tis apity my kids have grown and flown as I can only enjoy this on my ownsome.
Emkoshka
I liked Tohby Riddle's illustrations, but the photomontage streetscapes with the statue-headed people were a little too creepy. One for people who like urban angels.
Luana Lima
Sweet, interesting book. Wonderful pictures.
Trisha
Elusive, illuminating and lyrical.
Erika
left me cold
Crys
Crys added it
Jul 03, 2014
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 next »
Tohby Riddle is an Australian cartoonist and picture-book creator. In 2005 he became editor of The School Magazine, in which his illustrations, non-fiction pieces and poems appear regularly. In 2009 he won the Patricia Wrightson Prize in the New South Wales Premier's Literary Awards with Ursula Dubosarsky for their book The Word Spy.
More about Tohby Riddle...
The Great Escape from City Zoo Nobody Owns The Moon Singing Hat My Uncle's Donkey Irving The Magician