Start by marking “Unforgotten” as Want to Read:

3.89 of 5 stars 3.89  ·  rating details  ·  151 ratings  ·  34 reviews
This striking, evocative book is a testament to Tohby Riddle's skill, dedication and commitment to making a strong statement that he believes in. It's a book about light and dark, doubt and faith, friendship and compassion.
Riddle’s representations of the strangeness of the urban landscape evoke a sense of movement that has been captured – and stilled momentarily – as if by
Published September 1st 2012 by Allen & Unwin

To ask other readers questions about Unforgotten, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Unforgotten

Whimsical, sweet and timeless, Unforgotten is a quick but magical read about the angels who live amongst us. With views from the Empire State Building; sunrise over Wollongong plus space by NASA’s Hubble Heritage team, the inclusion of images from the author’s father’s crossing of the Sahara Desert in 1955 make the graphic images vivid and ephemeral; beautiful and thought-provoking. A delightful book by Aussie author Tohby Riddle. Recommended for those who enjoy graphic novels – and even those w ...more
Michelle Cristiani
Very pretty story of angels among us. It's a skinch trite towards the end but still carries a strong message of mindfulness.
Unforgotten is really an remarkable book. I hesitate to call it a graphic novel, although that is what it is marketed as. It’s really more of an illustrated poem almost. There’s no particular meter or rhyme, so it’s not traditional poetry. But the sparse, carefully chosen words and the way it’s written in three sections with the first and third parts echoing each other makes it seem poetic . . . although I didn’t actually realize this until I saw the page in the back where the entire text of the ...more
Micah-Nahum Ferguson
"But their work is not easy..."

The book begins its first of three chapters with a snapshot of Earth, lit up from space. Cities course beneath it all across the planet. The empty skies are filled with winged creatures. Each vignette featured in a graphic novel rarely holds as much weight, yet stays light in spirit, as in this excellent piece of work. The book holds a loose, nondescript narrative as it wanders through murky cityscapes and serene works of cut-out art.

It all involves angels (but has
Dave Riley
Delightful. A persuasive universe with its own mood. Wonderful use of montage elements and suggestive words. Think Raymond Briggs.'Tis apity my kids have grown and flown as I can only enjoy this on my ownsome.
A beautifully rendered evocative picture book for the older reader. There's a mystical, poetic, almost spiritual aura to this book that's very comforting to the reader. A masterpiece.
An enchanting story about Angela with beautiful drawings & photography & unique storyline. It enchanted me from the very first page and was a really quick read. The photos/ pictures is what really captured my attention. It covers things in life that we take for granted. We always being guarded from harm by something we can't see & when will know to give back? It's a must read. Though might I add that what really made me catch sight of this book was the authors name Tohby Riddle which ...more
Unforgotten is an illustrated poem. It shows angels looking over us until one of them falls to earth. The angel becomes frozen until someone notices it and brings it back to life. I found the illustrations really interesting as all the people are either photographs or works of art. The angels are simple black and white line drawings that really stand out against the colorful backgrounds. This is a different kind of book, but one that was worth the read.
A haunting beautiful story! Children’s author-illustrator offers this graphic novel geared towards adults but accessible for children as well. In it child-like angels “come to watch over and to warm and to mend,” but in our troubled times sometimes it takes a toll on them. This is a lovely mix of hand drawing and collage creating a poignant story. Fans of the strange and wonderful, like Shaun Tan and Dave McKean, should check this out.
A meditative, quiet, haunting book on kindness with rich photographic collages adding to the unworldly experience of reading it. Is it about angels? Is it about the secret life of statues? Is it simply about good people? Shaun Tan highly praises this book, and yes, if you like Tan's work, you may well really appreciate this book too. An unusual, slightly unsettling and powerful book.
Exquisite--I can't think of a better word for this book. I came across it in the library yesterday and read it this morning in what felt like an instant. It's almost a long poem broken down among beautiful, multi-media artwork. The art takes photos from many sources, including a series of photos taken by the author's father on a trip in the fifties and mixes them together in a divine melange of statuary, photos, drawings and poetry. It tells the story of what appear to be guardian angels and one ...more
This book reminded me a little of something I can't quite place.

I loved the simplicity this book. The story line seems very vague and mysterious which left interpretation to the reader. But the images were made of this decadant collages, buildings and people slotted in perfectly and subtely. It really was quite stunning. A very enjoyable read.
Jun 19, 2014 Julie rated it 4 of 5 stars
Shelves: 2014
A hauntingly illustrated poem. Invoking the oddity of cities, and civilization, by using statue heads, masks and other things for the people in them. Sparsely worded and almost melancholy. I would pick up this book again just to look at.
Concept 'graphic' novel. Mixed media poetry? Interesting idea and highly moody. I prefer something with character development, so this isn't really something that I can effectively review.
Shane Sisi
Angels roam the earth. It's a given. But what happens when one is earth bound. Do they get trapped. Stuck in our mire. Overwhelmed. Unseen. Forgotten. Where do angels fit in?
Mar 16, 2014 Debra rated it 4 of 5 stars
Shelves: 2014
I love finding these finds in the library. Angels in flight watching over us and one has fallen to the earth.
I enjoyed the collages as much as the poem. I never read any of his work but this has got me curious.
Delightful. A great example of the beauty that can come with graphic fiction.
This lovely graphic novel depicts angels watching over the affairs on earth. Eventually, the strain becomes too much of one of them and the angel sinks to earth. Immobilized by the overwhelming struggle, the angel is mistaken as a statue. Eventually, a rag-tag group of beings start to rehabilitate the angel.
There's minimal dialogue; the story is mostly told through pictures. The artwork is absolutely gorgeous. It's mixed media and it's beautiful. This is a very fast read, but the story and art
Love the artwork and the message is strong.
Beautiful, very visual. Almost exquisite.
Beautiful, haunting, ethereal. Loved it.
Carlie Lucas
The artwork was very interesting.
Shaun Tan does a better job blurbing this GN than I ever could. Wonderfully quiet and touching.
Jenny Lynn
An interesting graphic novel full of pretty artwork and juxtapositions and a simple yet beautiful story. It was interesting and not at all what I expected but still pretty good. Personally I wish there'd been a little more to the story, but in the end its simplicity was refreshing and made for a very quick read, leaving plenty of time to stop and examine the artwork.
Sarah Mayor Cox
Have always loved Tohby Riddle's work. Unforgotten takes his work to new heights though (pardon the pun). Hear my review of it and interview with him and Ann Jones on ABC Central Vic local radio 91.1FM here:
I get the whole magical guardian angel thing, but this didn't quite do it for me. I usually love Tohby Riddle's picture books - so quirky and smart - but I just didn't quite like these illustrations. The message is good, but it seemed too drawn out. I really wanted to love it, but....
A pleasant, whimsical YA graphic novel. The brief story line is quite gentle and sweet. But I found some of the graphics were a bit tedious, which has limited the star rating I've given it.
I liked Tohby Riddle's illustrations, but the photomontage streetscapes with the statue-headed people were a little too creepy. One for people who like urban angels.
  • The Little Refugee
  • The Rabbits
  • Fog Island
  • Batman Beyond: Batgirl Beyond
  • Meet the Dullards
Tohby Riddle is an Australian cartoonist and picture-book creator. In 2005 he became editor of The School Magazine, in which his illustrations, non-fiction pieces and poems appear regularly. In 2009 he won the Patricia Wrightson Prize in the New South Wales Premier's Literary Awards with Ursula Dubosarsky for their book The Word Spy.
More about Tohby Riddle...