Maharanis: The Extraordinary Tale of Four Indian Queens and Their Journey from Purdah to Parliament

3.72 of 5 stars 3.72  ·  rating details  ·  124 ratings  ·  18 reviews
A rare, exotic portrait of the matriarchs of a brilliant Indian family

Ranging from the final days of the Raj and the British Empire to the present, Lucy Moore vividly re-creates a splendid lost world and describes India's national growing pains through the sumptuous, audacious lives of four ravishing, influential women of the same family- Sunity Devi, friend to Queen Vic...more
Published June 27th 2006 by Penguin Books (first published 1991)

Margaret Sankey
While the British were threatened when Indian princes did things outside of polo and debauchery, they liked it when the princely women showed themselves to be modern by leaving purdah and advocating for education and progressive reform--and thus the Raj allowed the rule of a series of regents and powerful women. Lucy Moore chronicles the four matriarchs of three families, the dynasties of Jaipur, Cooch Behar and Baroda as they struggled with how Anglicized to become, sending sons away to boardin...more
S.
This is a fantastic book: Excactly the right balance of historical, political and personal facts, none of it too dry, none of it too salacious.
I was very moved by the accounts of the various Rani's, Chimnabai has become an instant historical heroine, I feel wistfully sorry for Sunity Devi in her denialist approach to life, Indira is a dazzle but also tragic to me.

It is an intimate yet frank insight into the effects of British influence, the weak sides of both nations, especially their failures i...more
Neha
There's a chunk of culture across India you won't find on a map that starts somewhere in Rajasthan, and encompasses what are broadly the present-day states of Gujarat, Maharashtra, Madhya Pradesh, eventually ending at West Bengal. In terms of contemporary customs, traditions, beliefs and rituals, these societies are vastly non-different, with minimal individualistic tweaks over time. I attribute this fascinating homogeneity to the princely-India Maharanis by Lucy Moore speaks of. An exhilarating...more
Naomi
While the language sometimes lacks lyricism in favor of a more journalistic tone (true to the author's roots), the story of these four women is turely extroartinary. Amidst increadible wealth, the central women and their families are depicted as sympathetically human. They are impressive people searching for their place and identities amidst rapidly changing social, political, and economic times.
Sreenorainee Dev
I think these Royalties lived a very exquisite life having all the best they could afford during their time of reign.and the maharanis certainly exercised every aspects of feminism.i wished i was one of them..lol..but its sad to know when you are ripped of your privileges and forced to live a life which you are not used to.this novel really brings you back to the time ..excellent imagery..fantastic!!
Paul
An interesting account of Indian aristocracy/royalty through the life stories of 4 remarkable women. A journey from the Raj of the late nineteenth century through the struggle for independence to almost the present day. It is a remarkable tale but can be a little confusing and I found some of the relationships difficult to follow. It is very much the story of rich upper class women and there is little of the grinding poverty of much of the rest of Indian society.
I think I understand more the pow...more
Katy
I gave this one five stars not because it was the best written work I have ever ready, but the story that was told was, like the title suggests, extraordinary.

In a world where women exsisted to be wives the four maharanis whose lives Lucy Moore has chronicled were given the best western educations and allowed to grow. Through their lives they transformed a cultre and gave birth to a nation. In everything they did they were mere humans who took their roles of mystical rulers for the good of their...more
Alicia
this book was fascinating and sad, telling the story of India's political and cultural transition from the point of view of the ruling princely families that ended up giving up their power and position, not all willingly. the descriptions of the idyllic childhoods were enthralling. the story focuses on 3 generations of women and how they adjusted to and adapted to the changes in society, also how some lived in a time of purdah (segregation from men and the outside world). it was very inspiring t...more
Yvonne
I think that it is safe to say that there was a lot of controversy about the British occupation of India and its affect on its citizens.

The Maharani's in this books had many advantages and changed history for the women of India, it begs the question as to whether these changes would have ever happened without the involvement and hand of the British occupants.

On the other hand it may have been damaging to a point in which the future rulers were too westernized.

While this was an interesting look i...more
Kristy
I really enjoy books that give me an insight into cultures I am not familiar with and I enjoyed that aspect of this book. The author did a great job of showing all sides of the people involved, making them real. I would have preferred if the author had let the narrative stand on its own instead of justifying and condoning negative behavior under the context of personal circumstances.
Gina
Initially, I really had a hard time getting into the book, but I ended up really enjoying this book. Great history and background on the British/India relationship. I think I'd like to read more about this time in history. Of course, it could be I just love to read about the royals...of any country.

Malinda Lamm
Fascinating to read about real women whose lives changed so dramatically during their own life times and who also greatly influenced the independence of women in India. It was also interesting to learn more about the political governance of India, both the Colonial British and the Independent States.
Patricia Doty
Excellent! I thoroughly enjoyed the historical account of the four Maharanis of India and how their courage and willfulness helped shape the environment of modern day India for the women of today. Lots to learn about a country I knew virtually nothing about!
Somya Sharma
This was one of my impulsive purchases but I think I quite enjoyed reading it. Aah its always fun to read about how blue blooded mortals spend their life and this book gives you a nice peep into lives of much written about royal ladies. Paisa vasool!
Lucia
learn about the english colonialism (as well as its decline) in india through the stories of 3 generations of maharanis and their profound impact on everything from india's purdah to its sari style to its political progressions.
Kerry
This is a great book, lots of detail (sometimes, just sometimes, a little too much?) about a world I previously knew nothing of. At times I made myself get through it, but it was definitely worth it.
James Axtell
Great background to the changes in Indian history over the last 120 years
Kiri
Not quite what I was expecting but an interesting read.
Torgny
Torgny added it
Jul 03, 2014
Laura marked it as to-read
Jul 03, 2014
Francesca
Francesca marked it as to-read
Jul 02, 2014
Aleta of the Misty Isles
Aleta of the Misty Isles marked it as to-read
Jun 30, 2014
Bhasha
Bhasha marked it as to-read
Jun 26, 2014
Brooke
Brooke marked it as to-read
Jun 26, 2014
Sari Sikstrom
Sari Sikstrom marked it as to-read
Jun 25, 2014
Harriet
Harriet marked it as to-read
Jun 24, 2014
Anivnkt
Anivnkt marked it as to-read
Jun 16, 2014
Jasmine
Jasmine marked it as to-read
Jun 14, 2014
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 next »
  • Princess Remembers: Memoirs of the Maharani of Jaipur
  • Raj
  • The Bandit Queen of India: An Indian Woman's Amazing Journey from Peasant to International Legend
  • Mankiller: A Chief and Her People
  • White Mughals: Love and Betrayal in Eighteenth-Century India
  • Sisters of Fortune: America’s Caton Sisters at Home and Abroad
  • The Unruly Queen: The Life of Queen Caroline
  • The House on Dream Street: Memoir of an American Woman in Vietnam
  • Desert Queen: The Extraordinary Life of Gertrude Bell: Adventurer, Adviser to Kings, Ally of Lawrence of Arabia
  • Mrs. Lincoln and Mrs. Keckly: The Remarkable Story of the Friendship Between a First Lady and a Former Slave
  • Evening in the Palace of Reason
  • Churchill and the King: The Wartime Alliance of Winston Churchill and George VI
  • Lucia: A Venetian Life in the Age of Napoleon
  • Signed, Mata Hari
  • Byron in Love
  • The Carpet Wars: From Kabul to Baghdad: A Ten-Year Journey Along Ancient Trade Routes
  • The Elizabethan World Picture (Vintage)
  • When Asia Was the World
Lucy Moore was born in 1970 and educated in Britain and the United States before reading history at Edinburgh University. She is the editor of Con Men and Cutpurses: Scenes from the Hogarthian Underworld, and author of the critically acclaimed The Thieves Opera: The Remarkable Lives and Deaths of Jonathan Wild, Thief-Taker, and Jack Sheppard, House-Breaker (Viking 1996) as well as Amphibious Thing...more
More about Lucy Moore...
Anything Goes: A Biography of the Roaring Twenties Liberty: The Lives and Times of Six Women in Revolutionary France The Thieves' Opera Amphibious Thing: The Life of Lord Hervey Con Men and Cutpurses: Scenes from the Hogarthian Underworld