Start by marking “The Quotable Book Lover” as Want to Read:
The Quotable Book Lover

The Quotable Book Lover

This collection of more than five hundred quotations captures the wisdom and wit of the most insightful things ever said about books, spoken and written by such legendary figures as: Aeschylus; Ernest Hemingway; John Ruskin; Woody Allen; Thomas Jefferson; Charles Scribner; Maya Angelou; Franz Kafka; George Bernard Shaw; Jane Austen; Helen Keller; Wallace Stevens; Francis ...more
Published October 1st 2002 by Lyons Press (first published 1999)

To ask other readers questions about The Quotable Book Lover, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Quotable Book Lover

Nisah Haron
Sep 17, 2011 Nisah Haron rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: all booklovers
A wonderful collection of quotes on reading, writing, libraries, literature and of course, on books! It will brighten up your day - especially, if you are an avid reader / booklover.

Among my favourite quotes are :

"The man who reads nothing at all is better educated than the man who reads nothing but newspapers." - Thomas Jefferson

"Read not to contradict and confute, nor to believe and take for granted, nor to find talk and discourse, but to weigh and consider." - Francis Bacon

"My library, was
Angel
This is another of my little favorites. It is a quotation of books about books and reading. From quotes about libraries to quotes about publishing and collectors, it features a nice selection. Feel free to read it through, or just browse here and there. For me, it is a book I pick up every so often and browse again and again. If you like books and stuff about books, this is a nice little book to have.
Jenna
Oct 29, 2014 Jenna rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Amusing, entertaining, and containing a great variety of quotations, some of which I really wish I could use for social media images, but probably shouldn't.
Toni
Toni rated it it was amazing
Dec 04, 2011
Naeem Chak
Naeem Chak rated it liked it
May 09, 2014
Whitney Maas
Whitney Maas rated it liked it
Oct 15, 2013
Beth Knight
Beth Knight rated it liked it
Sep 28, 2008
Jessica
Jessica rated it really liked it
Apr 17, 2016
Sarah rated it it was ok
Jan 22, 2009
Marie
Marie rated it really liked it
Jul 13, 2010
David Farris
David Farris rated it it was amazing
Aug 19, 2013
Darlene
Darlene rated it liked it
Sep 11, 2013
Jeannie
Jeannie rated it it was amazing
Dec 05, 2007
Lisa
Lisa rated it really liked it
Jun 30, 2011
Kristin Marie
Kristin Marie rated it liked it
Aug 30, 2014
Russ
Russ rated it really liked it
Sep 13, 2012
TBV
TBV rated it liked it
Mar 25, 2011
Elizabeth
Elizabeth rated it it was amazing
Mar 07, 2009
Misha
Misha rated it really liked it
May 20, 2008
Jandy
Jandy rated it liked it
May 07, 2008
Charlotte
Charlotte rated it really liked it
Oct 22, 2014
Jenn
Jenn rated it liked it
Jun 17, 2011
Coralie
Coralie rated it liked it
Oct 24, 2015
Jennifer C.
Jennifer C. rated it really liked it
Jan 20, 2016
Skip Ebert
Skip Ebert rated it really liked it
Mar 02, 2015
Redgie
Redgie rated it it was ok
Oct 23, 2013
Scott Hugo
Scott Hugo rated it it was amazing
Jul 02, 2016
Thomasin
Thomasin rated it really liked it
Jan 08, 2012
« previous 1 3 next »
Goodreads Librari...: Assorted Issues with "The Quotable Book Lover" 3 10 Dec 22, 2014 11:20AM
  • Biblioholism: The Literary Addiction
  • Great Books for Every Book Lover: 2002 Great Reading Suggestions for the Discriminating Bibliophile
  • A Passion for Books: A Book Lover's Treasury of Stories, Essays, Humor, Love and Lists on Collecting, Reading, Borrowing, Lending, Caring for, and Appreciating Books
  • The Library: An Illustrated History
  • Why We Read What We Read: A Delightfully Opinionated Journey Through Bestselling Books
  • Women Who Love Books Too Much: Bibliophiles, Bluestockings & Prolific Pens from the Algonquin Hotel to the YA-YA Sisterhood
  • Rereadings: Seventeen writers revisit books they love
  • The Lost Art of Reading: Why Books Matter in a Distracted Time
  • Book Smart: Your Essential Reading List for Becoming a Literary Genius in 365 Days
  • So Many Books: Reading and Publishing in an Age of Abundance
  • Every Book Its Reader: The Power of the Printed Word to Stir the World
  • Casanova Was a Librarian: A Light-Hearted Look at the Profession
  • The Most Beautiful Libraries in the World
  • Between the Covers: The Book Babes' Guide to a Woman's Reading Pleasures
  • For the Love of Books: 115 Celebrated Writers on the Books They Love Most
  • Slightly Chipped: Footnotes in Booklore
  • Bibliotopia Or, Mr. Gilbar's Book of Books & Catch-all of Literary Facts And Curiosities
  • Living With Books

Goodreads is hiring!

If you like books and love to build cool products, we may be looking for you.
Learn more »

“The books we read help to shape who we are. Reading offers us, as children, our first independence- allowing us to travel far beyond the confines of our immediate world. Books introduce us to great figures in history, narratives that stir our spirit, fictions that tug us out of ourselves and into the lives of a thousand others, and visions of every era through which human beings have lived. And in the process of stretching who we are, books also connect us to all others- of our own or previous times- who have read what we've read. In the community of readers, we instantly become linked to those who share our love for specific characters or passages.

A well-composed book,' says Caroline Gordon, 'is a magic carpet on which we are wafted to a world that we cannot enter in any other way.”
23 likes