Start by marking “Flujo. Cuentos sobre futuros humanos (Mapas en un Espejo 2)” as Want to Read:
Flujo. Cuentos sobre futuros humanos (Mapas en un Espejo 2)

Flujo. Cuentos sobre futuros humanos (Maps in a Mirror #2)

3.76 of 5 stars 3.76  ·  rating details  ·  476 ratings  ·  24 reviews
Seven tales of possible fates for the human race by one of science fiction's most revered authors portrays the inner struggles of characters exploring their hidden selves. Reprint.
267 pages
Published 2008 by Bolsillo Zeta (first published January 1st 1992)

To ask other readers questions about Flujo. Cuentos sobre futuros humanos, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Flujo. Cuentos sobre futuros humanos

Jim
Excellent intro & afterword both read by Card. Several different readers for the stories, all very good. He's not afraid of pushing limits, either.

A thousand deaths — was really good, but gruesome. Horrible, but really excellent thought, although the backdrop was pretty cliched. Still, the point was... Wow!
Dogwalker — Cyberpunk, excellent.

Clap hands and sing —
But we try not to act like it —
I put my blue genes on —
In the doghouse (with Jay A. Parry) — Hah! Great!!!
The originist - A re
Paul Lunger
"Flux" is a 1992 collection of short stories by Card that contain some rather "interesting" stories all set in future planets or versions of history. "A Thousand Deaths" from 1979 is one of the more graphic stories ever told by Card in that it deals with a government that allows a convicted criminal to die multiple times by more & more horrific deaths until they get the confession they want. "Clap Hands and Song" from 1982 asks the question if you could repeat a happy time with someone one l ...more
Jillian
"A Thousand Deaths," which imagines advanced means of interrogation, punishment, and government control, is brutal but truly excellent. It's Orwellian, while the other dystopian story, "But We Try Not to Act Like It," is more like Huxley. "Clap Hands and Sing" is a time-traveling tale with a surprisingly sweet ending. "Dogwalker" is Card's stab at cyberpunk, a genre that Card despised but wanted to try, and I think he did fairly well. "I Put My Blue Genes On" and "In the Doghouse" are kooky spac ...more
Lisa (Harmonybites)
Apr 21, 2010 Lisa (Harmonybites) rated it 2 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Orson Scott Card Fans
This is a collection of six short stories and a longish novella which takes up almost half the book--and was the only story I honestly liked. I do get and appreciate the point Card is making in "A Thousand Deaths" but found it just too sadistic and gruesome--I could barely make myself skim some parts. Card in the Afterward admits this is the one story of his "so sickening" his wife couldn't even finish it. "Clap Hands and Sing" is a story Card says he meant as "bittersweet"--but given the pedoph ...more
Lauren
This is a collection of 7 short stories by incredibly awesome (note bias ;) ) sci-fi author Orson Scott Card, who wrote Ender's Game and et cetera. Of the 7 short stories, I would say that all but one of them I would give 5 stars out of 5. The one short story that I did not like as much was called "But We Try Not to Act Like It" and is located in the middle of the collection. I can't describe exactly why I didn't like it, but it was something about how the story seemed to lack direction or a co ...more
Josh Meares
Really enjoyed this book.

And then Leyel remembered what Deet had said about how people absorb stories from their communities and take them into themselves and use these stories to form their spiritual autobiography. They remember doing what the heroes of the stories did, and so they continue to act out each hero's character in their own lives, or, failing that, they measure themselves against the standard the story set for them. Stories become the human conscience, the human mirror. (p.246)

'Comm
Doreen
The intro spends a lot of time name-checking his faith, which I've always found odd in novels. The first story, A Thousand Deaths, is probably one of the best, despite its dated feel, if only because Card does a good job describing the human suffering and hope. My only quibble with it is that it didn't seem like very long before the state gave up on Jerry, whereas his former professor was given a year.

Clap Hands And Sing I did not enjoy, because it rewarded the protagonist for going through with
Traummachine
This was a really hard collection to rate...Card's autobiographical material is so arrogant it's incredibly off-putting. It's amazing to me that someone can be so full of themselves in the first place, but to actually feel like you need to put it in print...wow. I'm not reading any more of this ass-hat's mockery of others while indulging in self-congratulatory wallowing. I'll rate this book based on the stories themselves.

Where The Hanged Man was Card's horror shorts, Flux covers his sci-fi stor
Steven
While traveling on business I finished my book. (The aforementioned Neverwhere, by Neil Gaiman.) So I swung by the nearest bookstore, and walked away with this.

And was immediately disappointed. I’d read some of the stories before, in another book. One of the stories, Fat Farm, was disturbing. Really disturbing. Well, in this compilation, he speaks about his writing style. This story was in a collection titled Tales of Dread. Card has this to say about dread.

"…the most potent tool of storyteller
Luis
El segundo tomo de Scott Card me parecio lento, mas que lento es que no me habituó a su vista de lo que es ciencia ficcion. Aunque "Vida de Perros" es muy buena "El originista" se lleva los laureles, un cuento basado en personajes amigos de Hari Seldon el creador de la fundacion en el Trantor del universo de Isaac Asimov. Ese cuento es hasta el momento no solo el mejor de Scott Card, sino el mejor que me he leido en mucho tiempo.
August Niehaus
Short story collection aren't my favorite thing to read, but Orson Scott Card is, so of course this was worth it. "The Originist," in particular, really got to me, in the way that only emotionally-charged science fiction can do. Card's views of marriage and love are certainly skewed towards straight couples, but he definitely understands the almost mystical mechanics of being in love, and for that I appreciate this story. The others were a nice, well-rounded collection of pieces in fine Card for ...more
C
In the end, i never really know how i feel about these stories and courtesy of the author's personally repugnant revelations, i am always left feeling even more uncertain.

Sufficient to say, for any Foundation fan, the Originst is a worthy and interesting story. Dogwalker also has its charms. Beyond that, i don't know what else to say and even if i did, there is just too much to say that doesn't feel like it belongs in a review of this one work.
This collection of short fiction is now published with the other three volumes as Maps in a Mirror: The Short Fiction of Orson Scott Card (or something like that). The others are good, but this one was always my favorite. The last story in the book deals lightly with concepts from Asimov's Foundation series, and is also basically an awesome elevation of library science!
Chris
Great sci-fi stories; "A Thousand Deaths" was especially memorable, and it alone makes this book worth owning. Most of the others except for a couple are great too, but the Foundation novella is only going to interest those who have read a few of Asimov's Foundation books.
Jami
Although I really enjoyed almost all the first volume of Maps in a Mirror, the second volume couldn't keep my attention. I really, really enjoyed the first story, however, A Thousand Deaths. I will remember that one for a while, and have told many people about it already.
Avel
Be the first to read all of the Idyllic Short Stories contained in this book:
* "A Thousand Deaths"
* "Clap Hands and Sing"
* "Dogwalker"
* "But We Try Not to Act Like It"
* "I Put My Blue Genes On"
* "In the Doghouse"
* "The Originist"
ruby
This book of short stories is pretty mind blowing. The last story, Flux, is a total play on an interactive internet before the internet was ever created. This book really inspires you to think about what is free will and what our future brings.
Jared
Orson Scoot Card writes some interesting short stories -- and this is a collection of some of them -- but he also writes a lot of disturbing ones -- and this is a collection of some of those, too.
Terridactyl
This is a very very dark colletion of short stories. Not for anyone squemish. I loved it. It reminds me of Harlan Ellison's "I Have No Mouth and I Must Scream". Great read.
Nephi Jenks
PG-13 lots of references to genitalia. I really hate far fetched science fiction.
Carmen
Amazingly written, I can't say enough good things about this book.
Richard Kelly
All good, but A Thousand Deaths and Clap Hands and Sing are amazing.
Al Menaster
Some interesting stories, though I didn't care for the last one.
Jen
Strange, creepy, and oddly memorable short stories.
Max
Max added it
Dec 17, 2014
Evan
Evan added it
Dec 09, 2014
  • The Veil of a Thousand Tears (The Pearl Saga, #2)
  • The World Treasury of Science Fiction
  • The Year's Best Science Fiction: Ninth Annual Collection
  • Candy Is Dandy: The Best of Ogden Nash
  • The Fox; The Captain's Doll; The Ladybird
  • Stalky & Co.
  • Hypérion 1 (Les Cantos d'Hypérion, #1)
  • The Planet Buyer
  • Murder at the ABA
  • The Flight from the Enchanter
Orson Scott Card is the author of the novels Ender's Game, Ender's Shadow, and Speaker for the Dead, which are widely read by adults and younger readers, and are increasingly used in schools.
Besides these and other science fiction novels, Card writes contemporary fantasy (Magic Street, Enchantment, Lost Boys), biblical novels (Stone Tables, Rachel and Leah), the American frontier fantasy series Th
More about Orson Scott Card...
Ender's Game (The Ender Quintet, #1) Speaker for the Dead (The Ender Quintet, #2) Ender's Shadow (Ender's Shadow, #1) Xenocide (The Ender Quintet, #3) Children of the Mind (The Ender Quintet, #4)