Start by marking “My Zombie Dog” as Want to Read:
My Zombie Dog

Read Excerpt

My Zombie Dog

Zane had the worst birthday ever. He spent it arguing with his Mum and burying a dead dog. Things just get worse. The next day Zane wakes to find the dog in his room, covered in dirt and… wagging its tail.

This is not Zane’s idea of the perfect dog. It’s shaggy, smells undead and bites people. And why does its victims all turn sluggish and keep asking for brains?

Can Zane c
ebook, eBook, 148 pages
Published March 26th 2012 by Hot Doggy Digital Press (first published February 25th 2012)

To ask other readers questions about My Zombie Dog, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about My Zombie Dog

Medeia Sharif
Apr 07, 2012 Medeia Sharif rated it it was amazing
Shelves: read-in-2012
When Zane’s mom brings home a dog for his birthday, he’s disappointed. He wants a “real” dog, not one of those small dogs that have the appearance of a fluffy slipper—his mom even names the dog Fluffy. The dog keels over and dies once he exits his mother’s car, so he has to bury Fluffy. This isn’t the birthday surprise he was hoping for.

Fluffy returns from the dead and Zane renames her Fossil because of the state she’s in. She’s covered in dirt, with a stench that bathing and perfume can’t eradi
Paula Weston
Mar 04, 2012 Paula Weston rated it it was amazing
This is a cool zombie story for children and young teens. It's funny, a little creepy without ever getting too scary, and the tone is perfect for its target market. Zane is a likeable narrator, and poor little Fossil is endearing, even as she decomposes. Charmaine Clancy writes well and is definitely a natural born storyteller. (And how perfect is that cover?)
Dimity Powell
Mar 26, 2012 Dimity Powell rated it really liked it
Shelves: kids-lit
Funny, fast paced fun which left me feeling slightly squeamish and more than a little wary of small scruffy dogs. Imagine Doc DoLittle and old Mad Eye from Potter fame both lurking around Pet Cemetary and you'll end up with this quirky little tale about My Zombie Dog. Perfect for the intended age group.
Lena Seder
Jun 04, 2012 Lena Seder rated it it was amazing
Charmaine Clancy’s My Zombie Dog, completely captured my attention. I almost couldn’t put it down, even when the food was burning in the oven. Just kidding! Seriously, this is a riveting story!

The typical audience for this novel is tweens and teens. However, even adults can get absorbed and lost into this twisting, fast-paced tale. The language is simple, and Clancy really gets into the head of her 14 year old main character, Zane. He has the typical tone of voice, language and common issues of
Marian Allen
Mar 25, 2012 Marian Allen rated it it was amazing
I'm a sucker for dog stories, but I am NOT a zombie fan. I doubt I would have tried this book if I hadn't "met" Charmaine Clancy online, where she charmed me with her humor and her progress reports on this project. The cover was the last ... nail in my coffin? I knew I HAD TO HAVE THIS BOOK.

I wasn't sorry. It's a quick read, and sheer fun all the way through. Zane is a believable youngster -- in fact, all the characters ring true, even the zombie dog.

Although this is a YA book, I'm a grandmoth
Shannon O'Donnell
Apr 18, 2012 Shannon O'Donnell rated it it was amazing
This book is adorable! The storyline is fun, the characters are lovable, the zombie dog is totally cool. My daughter read this book before me and loved it. She could hardly put it down, and when she was finished with it, she went back to the beginning and started again. Two weeks later, she is still talking about it. For an original take on zombies and fun, don't miss this one!
Karen Tyrrell
My Zombie Dog delivers a fast-paced humorous horror story for the 9-13 year old pre-teen market. Charmaine Clancy created a well constructed narrative, often grisly but always a page turner.

Love the characters, the clever dialogue and the weird sounds that emanate from My Zombie Dog's mouth.
Lynda R. Young
Mar 03, 2012 Lynda R. Young rated it it was amazing
My Zombie Dog has a fantastic premise about a 14 year old boy's pet dog gone zombie. It's a light, fun read and, though the odd mix of past and present tense was a little distracting at times, I think everyone of all ages would enjoy this. The story had me chuckling all the way through.
J. Kendrick Allen
Jun 06, 2012 J. Kendrick Allen rated it really liked it
Shelves: kids
Even though this book is targeted at kids, I enjoyed it enough that I finished it in two nights.
This is a pretty fast paced amusing book mainly geared towards tweens. The entire book takes place over a couple of days. You follow Zane who really wants a dog for his birthday. He gets one, but it's not the type of dog he's looking for. It's a scraggly rat looking thing that promptly keels over and dies in the driveway right after his mom brings it home.

They bury the poor little thing, only for Zane to find him on his bed the next day. He smells and looks horrible and no amount of bathing or
Mar 31, 2013 Esme rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Zane wünscht sich nichts sehnlicher als einen Hund zu seinem 14. Geburtstag. Den bekommt er auch, nur entspricht der fluffige, rattenartige Winzling nicht seiner Vorstellung vom perfekten Hund. Außerdem kaum aus dem Auto ausgestiegen, kippt der Hund um und ist tot. Und ein toter Hund ist schon gar kein passabler Gefährte.

Doch am nächsten Morgen sitzt die kleine Kreatur stinkend und keuchend in seinem Schlafzimmer. Offenbar war der Hund, jetzt auf den Namen Fossil getauft, nur scheintot und hat s
Tom Boshell
Feb 20, 2013 Tom Boshell rated it liked it
A young-adult type of book, maintains the feeling like it was written by one also. But interesting. More of a light read; otherwise, you may get upset/frustrated. The worse part was reading about the main character being so blatantly unaware of the zombies while he is reading The Walking Dead graphic novels. I thought that was stretching the concept of never admitting to the zombies too much--then he had to give in and admit to it. The thought that someone may have a counter-bite to the zombie i ...more
Laura Pauling
Feb 12, 2013 Laura Pauling rated it it was amazing
Zane wants nothing more than a dog, and he finally gets one. But it's nothing like he imagines, and then the dog dies. They bury him. But the next morning, he's there by Zane's bed. And it's almost like the dog is trying to say his name.

Both my son and I read this book and loved it. The author did a tremendous job of bringing the zombie feel to the story while keeping the focus on Zane. The stakes continue to rise as more people and animals are bit and infected. No one is safe. Not even his mot
I read this book with my boys and we really enjoyed it. I love seeing my kids find a book that they can giggle their way through. Zane is a very likeable character that boys ages 9-14 can relate to. I bought My Zombie Dog a while back and am glad that I finally got around to reading it to my kids.
Nov 10, 2012 Jorge rated it really liked it
A fast paced youth zombie story. Pretty light reading, and good jokes to keep you chuckling. I felt however that the last chapters were too fast, somehow if there was a rush to finish them.
Linda Jackson
Aug 07, 2012 Linda Jackson rated it it was amazing
My Zombie Dog is hilarious! Zane is both witty and charming, and the storyline is totally engaging (even learned a thing or two about zombies). Buy this book. You will love it!
Richard Denney
May 29, 2012 Richard Denney rated it liked it
Funny, gross, and zomb-tastic!
Jemi Fraser
Apr 30, 2012 Jemi Fraser rated it really liked it
Fun story! :)
May 13, 2013 Leanne rated it it was amazing
How do you make a Zombie novel charming? I don't know, but Charmaine Clancy managed it!

This is a must read. There were several points throughout the story where I felt compelled to stop, and re-read lines, to let their brilliance wash over me a second time. It's also a very funny novel. It's rare that I find myself chuckling as I read, but it was hard not to.

It's clever, and Charmaine nails the ol' 'voice'challenge with ease. While I enjoyed the story, I couldn't help but admire her writing sty
Heather Bee
Apr 14, 2012 Heather Bee rated it it was ok
Recommends it for: people who like zombies
This was a cute little zombie story. I don't know if I'd let my child read it, just because it does talk about cutting off a dog's head (just talk; no actual decapitation occurred in this book). I would have given it three stars if it weren't for the poor editing. There were copious errors that should have been caught in the proofreading/editing phase of publishing. I know it seems a little harsh since the book was free, but let's not lower our standards just because it's an ebook and because it ...more
Swati Chavda
Aug 14, 2013 Swati Chavda rated it really liked it
Author's note at the end of acknowledgments had me chuckling, and I knew I needed to read this book. "Please don't have nightmares about your pets...and definitely don't try burying them to raise an army of un-dead Fluffies!"

Hilarious and fast-paced story about a boy and his zombie dog. My inner 14-year old self was laughing uproariously throughout. (I have inner selves ranging from 3-120 year olds, in case anyone is wondering.)

Sarah Belle
Oct 06, 2013 Sarah Belle rated it it was amazing
My ten and eight year old sons read this book and loved it! They're not big on discussions - because they are boys!- so the fact that they told me how much they enjoyed it spoke volumes!
Kristy McRae
Aug 17, 2013 Kristy McRae rated it really liked it
A fun, fast-paced zombie tale for the middle-grade crowd. This was an entertaining story!
Charmaine Clancy
Oct 09, 2012 Charmaine Clancy rated it it was amazing  ·  (Review from the author)  ·  review of another edition
This is for the Australian paperback edition.
Michelle marked it as to-read
Oct 14, 2016
Leanne rated it really liked it
Oct 06, 2016
Alan Zacher
Alan Zacher marked it as to-read
May 07, 2016
Ldg Pam
Ldg Pam marked it as to-read
Apr 10, 2016
Cheekylala_kindle rated it it was amazing
Feb 25, 2016
« previous 1 3 4 next »
Charmaine Clancy lives in Brisbane, Australia and loves to create characters for mystery, fantasy and adventure. All her stories are fictional, except maybe MY ZOMBIE DOG (some say to this day you can hear the dog softly moaning, 'braaains').

Charmaine was born the year man walked on the moon, and if more aware of the event, she probably would have thought it was a great setting for a murder. She g
More about Charmaine Clancy...