Start by marking “How to amputate a leg : and other ways to stay out of trouble” as Want to Read:
How to amputate a leg : and other ways to stay out of trouble

How to amputate a leg : and other ways to stay out of trouble

3.61 of 5 stars 3.61  ·  rating details  ·  36 ratings  ·  9 reviews
Tall tales, all true, about guns, bombs, car chases, spiders, exotic locales, men in uniform and dancing girls - with deadpan delivery and a social conscience.
Published September 2009 by Allen & Unwin (first published 2009)

To ask other readers questions about How to amputate a leg , please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about How to amputate a leg

Nick Lo
The end paragraph of the introduction had me:

"Now that you have read this far, you can jump to any point in the book and start at that chapter, with no need to read the book chronologically. It is not arranged that way at all. Knowing what you know now, you can read Chapter 7 first. It's a cracker. Still, starting at the front is something to do for lack of a plan."

I had Australian actor Shane Jacobson (e.g. Kenny http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2p4cT9... ) narrating this book in my head and I re
Keith McArdle
Regardless of what the title may suggest, this is not a step by step instruction manual on how to amputate a leg. Nathan Mullins, the author, has, as they say, been around. He's been a policeman, a Commando and now an aid worker for Australian Aid International. How to Amputate a Leg is a collection of stories and annecdotes that Nathan has experienced along the way. With some absolutely hilarious recollections (that had me laughing out loud), mixed with some sobering stories, this book makes fo ...more
Clio
Mar 29, 2014 Clio added it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2014
Enjoyable and very very Australian. Anecdotes and life lessons from Nathan Mullins, cop, commando and humanitarian aid medic. Like sitting in on a dinner party conversation, light yet intense in places.
Easy and fun to read.
Maria
Nathan Mullins served as a Commando in the Australian army, as police officer, as a security specialist in Iraq and as a medic in various humanitarian missions. These are his stories.

Why I started it: The title was great.

Why I finished it: His humor and perspective are great. Listening to the Australian accent on the audio was a real treat. Warning: Sensitive readers need to be aware of his casual approach to swearing... culturally Australians are a lot more relaxed and his time in military and
CavyNomes
Funny and informative.
David
A surprise find. I was leaving at the local library and saw this 6CD set and thought, why not. I like the originality of it and the narrator's reading of the book. I was hooked after Mullin's explanation of why 8 out of 10 Australians who own samurai swords are wankers. The title is a bit so so, as is the cover, but the substance is enjoyable to listen too and I even learnt a thing or three.
Savethesemicolon
Really 2.5. It was interesting when he talked about war and police. Less so when he talked about his buddies surfing and such. Short and should have been shorter. But certainly readable.
Donald Elton
Entertaining at times but nit organized and no real point or plot.
Rob L
Rob L added it
May 22, 2015
Cindy
Cindy marked it as to-read
Apr 06, 2015
Ginny
Ginny marked it as to-read
Jun 03, 2014
Melissa
Melissa marked it as to-read
Apr 21, 2014
Andy
Andy marked it as to-read
Mar 13, 2014
David
David marked it as to-read
Feb 19, 2014
Jessica
Jessica marked it as to-read
Dec 10, 2013
Rebecca
Rebecca marked it as to-read
Sep 14, 2013
Deb
Deb marked it as to-read
Jul 18, 2013
« previous 1 3 next »
Keep Your Head Down How to amputate a leg How to Amputate a Leg and Other Ways to Stay Out of Trouble How to Amputate a Leg: And Other Ways to Stay Out of Trouble How to Amputate a Leg