Start by marking “How to amputate a leg : and other ways to stay out of trouble” as Want to Read:
How to amputate a leg : and other ways to stay out of trouble

How to amputate a leg : and other ways to stay out of trouble

Tall tales, all true, about guns, bombs, car chases, spiders, exotic locales, men in uniform and dancing girls - with deadpan delivery and a social conscience.
Published September 2009 by Allen & Unwin

To ask other readers questions about How to amputate a leg , please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about How to amputate a leg

Nick Lo
Jun 15, 2012 Nick Lo rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
The end paragraph of the introduction had me:

"Now that you have read this far, you can jump to any point in the book and start at that chapter, with no need to read the book chronologically. It is not arranged that way at all. Knowing what you know now, you can read Chapter 7 first. It's a cracker. Still, starting at the front is something to do for lack of a plan."

I had Australian actor Shane Jacobson (e.g. Kenny http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2p4cT9... ) narrating this book in my head and I re
Keith McArdle
Jan 21, 2012 Keith McArdle rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Regardless of what the title may suggest, this is not a step by step instruction manual on how to amputate a leg. Nathan Mullins, the author, has, as they say, been around. He's been a policeman, a Commando and now an aid worker for Australian Aid International. How to Amputate a Leg is a collection of stories and annecdotes that Nathan has experienced along the way. With some absolutely hilarious recollections (that had me laughing out loud), mixed with some sobering stories, this book makes fo ...more
Maria
Nathan Mullins served as a Commando in the Australian army, as police officer, as a security specialist in Iraq and as a medic in various humanitarian missions. These are his stories.

Why I started it: The title was great.

Why I finished it: His humor and perspective are great. Listening to the Australian accent on the audio was a real treat. Warning: Sensitive readers need to be aware of his casual approach to swearing... culturally Australians are a lot more relaxed and his time in military and
David
Dec 07, 2011 David rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: shiraz
A surprise find. I was leaving at the local library and saw this 6CD set and thought, why not. I like the originality of it and the narrator's reading of the book. I was hooked after Mullin's explanation of why 8 out of 10 Australians who own samurai swords are wankers. The title is a bit so so, as is the cover, but the substance is enjoyable to listen too and I even learnt a thing or three.
Clio
Mar 29, 2014 Clio added it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2014
Enjoyable and very very Australian. Anecdotes and life lessons from Nathan Mullins, cop, commando and humanitarian aid medic. Like sitting in on a dinner party conversation, light yet intense in places.
Easy and fun to read.
Michael
enjoyable read made up of lots of anecdotes
Drew
Dec 08, 2012 Drew rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Breezy.
Melissa
Jun 12, 2014 Melissa rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Not bad! Seems like a decently charming guy and has some great stories. Could do without so many interruptions to make sure the legal team is represented though.
CavyNomes
Aug 21, 2015 CavyNomes rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: library-books
Funny and informative.
Savethesemicolon
Really 2.5. It was interesting when he talked about war and police. Less so when he talked about his buddies surfing and such. Short and should have been shorter. But certainly readable.
Kate
Kate rated it really liked it
May 29, 2016
Donald Elton
Entertaining at times but nit organized and no real point or plot.
Jodie-kate
Jodie-kate rated it liked it
Feb 03, 2017
Mathew
Mathew rated it really liked it
Aug 06, 2011
Rob Eds
Rob Eds rated it liked it
Jan 16, 2016
Scott
Scott rated it it was amazing
Oct 27, 2012
Kon
Kon rated it liked it
Sep 02, 2012
Edward Fry
Edward Fry rated it liked it
Oct 31, 2016
Mikki McCoy
Mikki McCoy rated it liked it
May 15, 2011
Ina Cawl
Ina Cawl rated it really liked it
Feb 13, 2016
Bj
Bj rated it really liked it
Dec 01, 2012
Judith
Judith rated it liked it
Oct 12, 2012
Erin
Erin rated it liked it
Nov 06, 2016
Anastasia
Anastasia rated it really liked it
Apr 15, 2014
Louise
Louise rated it really liked it
Oct 01, 2009
Kamil86
Kamil86 rated it liked it
Mar 07, 2015
Alana
Alana rated it really liked it
Mar 26, 2012
Robert
Robert rated it it was amazing
Sep 30, 2013
Patrick
Patrick rated it liked it
Nov 29, 2012