Start by marking “All of an Instant” as Want to Read:
All of an Instant

All of an Instant

The Instant is a medium of existence outside time, from which one can influence the past and the future - and hence, history itself. War dominates this strange abstract place - war among forces in contention for control of universal time and place.
Published December 2000 by Tor Books (first published November 2nd 1999)

To ask other readers questions about All of an Instant, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about All of an Instant

Alessandra
My husband wrote this book, so I can't be objective. Please excuse my bias, and now I suggest going and reading the review of somebody with some perspective.
Kookatchi
May 08, 2011 Kookatchi rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I read this book two to three times up to now and am sure to pick it up again in the future.
Richard Garfinkle creates one huge metaphor for time travel and works with it to the last consequence.

Time travel is done by a chosen few tribes, who swim in the ocean of time, every movement they make creating a wave which in turn changes the world of normal people.
These changes are secondary to the travelers, change in the real world is constant, no one knows what the original history has once been. But
Jeremy
Dec 31, 2011 Jeremy rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: books-i-own
I found this book at Dollar General in their discount section. The read was certainly much better than the couple of bucks I spent on it. I found the story to be quite engaging, a different way of looking at time travel and the consequences of every action. Although I have not yet gotten around to it, this one is on the re-read shelf.
Paul Madarasz
May 16, 2013 Paul Madarasz rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This book strips away the glamor of the usual time-travel tales, with whole galactic civilizations disappearing, replaced by a stone-age earth -- thanks to bands of time-travelers who take it upon themselves to improve things by altering the past. It seems to me to be more realistic (if one can call time-travel realistic) than any other books in this sub-genre.
Rohitashva
Jan 14, 2014 Rohitashva rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Mindfuck. One statement says it all. The hardest to imagine is the unimaginable.
Scott Ross
Jul 13, 2008 Scott Ross rated it did not like it
i bought it for the title and the premiss. hard to follow. i keep putting it down for months at a time. not sure if i will finish it.
Fresno Bob
hmmm, interesting without being completely enjoyable
T Dale
Crap. I got just a few pages into this before I gave it up as a bad experience. The style is impossible for me to follow.
Michelle
Oct 17, 2015 Michelle rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A beautiful and unique universe. I've never read anything with a vision of time quite like this.
Robert
Jul 18, 2010 Robert rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: read-in-2000
Gad this was struggle to finish. I've no idea why I kept going.
Mariana
Mariana marked it as to-read
Sep 20, 2016
Jennifer marked it as to-read
Sep 18, 2016
Tanya
Tanya marked it as to-read
Sep 26, 2016
Daniel
Daniel marked it as to-read
Sep 07, 2016
Ben Fountain
Ben Fountain rated it it was ok
Sep 06, 2016
Shumaila
Shumaila marked it as to-read
Sep 04, 2016
Karyssa Arendt
Karyssa Arendt marked it as to-read
Aug 21, 2016
Sean
Sean marked it as to-read
Aug 19, 2016
Marco
Marco marked it as to-read
Aug 17, 2016
Outlawchild
Outlawchild marked it as to-read
Aug 12, 2016
Jesse_McAstroturf
Jesse_McAstroturf marked it as to-read
Aug 06, 2016
Mia
Mia marked it as to-read
Aug 05, 2016
Satan
Satan marked it as to-read
Aug 02, 2016
Robert Jonte
Robert Jonte rated it really liked it
Aug 31, 2016
Chris Rasko
Chris Rasko marked it as to-read
Jul 13, 2016
Aviva
Aviva marked it as to-read
Jul 09, 2016
Andreana
Andreana marked it as to-read
Jul 03, 2016
Andrew
Andrew marked it as to-read
Jun 29, 2016
Nizam uddin
Nizam uddin rated it really liked it
Jun 24, 2016
  • Time Snake and Superclown
  • The Eleven Million Mile High Dancer
  • Flesh and Gold (Lyhhrt Trilogy, #1)
  • I, Vampire
  • The Butterfly Kid
  • Ring of Swords
  • The Gameplayers of Zan (Ler, #2)
  • Day by Night
  • The Mount
  • Arslan
  • Floating Worlds
  • Dark Benediction
  • Winterlong (Winterlong, #1)
  • Helliconia Trilogy
Richard Garfinkle grew up in New York and now lives in Chicago with his wife and children. His first novel, Celestial Matters, won the Compton Crook award for best first science fiction novel of 1996. Garfinkle was twice a finalist for the John W. Campbell Award for best new writer. He has written numerous fiction and nonfiction works on his interests of history, science, imagination, and the pret ...more
More about Richard Garfinkle...