Start by marking “All of an Instant” as Want to Read:
All of an Instant

All of an Instant

3.68 of 5 stars 3.68  ·  rating details  ·  53 ratings  ·  9 reviews
The Instant is a medium of existence outside time, from which one can influence the past and the future - and hence, history itself. War dominates this strange abstract place - war among forces in contention for control of universal time and place.
Published December 2000 by Tor Books (first published November 2nd 1999)

To ask other readers questions about All of an Instant, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about All of an Instant

Jeremy
I found this book at Dollar General in their discount section. The read was certainly much better than the couple of bucks I spent on it. I found the story to be quite engaging, a different way of looking at time travel and the consequences of every action. Although I have not yet gotten around to it, this one is on the re-read shelf.
Kookatchi
I read this book two to three times up to now and am sure to pick it up again in the future.
Richard Garfinkle creates one huge metaphor for time travel and works with it to the last consequence.

Time travel is done by a chosen few tribes, who swim in the ocean of time, every movement they make creating a wave which in turn changes the world of normal people.
These changes are secondary to the travelers, change in the real world is constant, no one knows what the original history has once been. But
Paul Madarasz
This book strips away the glamor of the usual time-travel tales, with whole galactic civilizations disappearing, replaced by a stone-age earth -- thanks to bands of time-travelers who take it upon themselves to improve things by altering the past. It seems to me to be more realistic (if one can call time-travel realistic) than any other books in this sub-genre.
Rohitashva
Mindfuck. One statement says it all. The hardest to imagine is the unimaginable.
Alessandra
My husband wrote this book, so I can't be objective. Please excuse my bias, and now I suggest going and reading the review of somebody with some perspective.
Scott Ross
i bought it for the title and the premiss. hard to follow. i keep putting it down for months at a time. not sure if i will finish it.
T Dale
Crap. I got just a few pages into this before I gave it up as a bad experience. The style is impossible for me to follow.
Michelle Ruedin
A beautiful and unique universe. I've never read anything with a vision of time quite like this.
Robert
Gad this was struggle to finish. I've no idea why I kept going.
Manish Mathai
Manish Mathai marked it as to-read
May 02, 2015
Leo
Leo marked it as to-read
Apr 27, 2015
Orvar
Orvar marked it as to-read
Apr 27, 2015
Jeremy Maddux
Jeremy Maddux marked it as to-read
Apr 21, 2015
Tine Kolenik
Tine Kolenik marked it as to-read
Apr 10, 2015
Richard
Richard marked it as to-read
Mar 13, 2015
Chris
Chris marked it as to-read
Mar 12, 2015
Eoghan
Eoghan marked it as to-read
Mar 03, 2015
Ryan
Ryan marked it as to-read
Feb 24, 2015
Clynn
Clynn marked it as to-read
Feb 19, 2015
Johnny
Johnny marked it as to-read
Feb 16, 2015
Brian Rogers
Brian Rogers marked it as to-read
Feb 11, 2015
Hmpf
Hmpf marked it as to-read
Jan 27, 2015
Austin Riley
Austin Riley marked it as to-read
Jan 24, 2015
Larissa Hall
Larissa Hall marked it as to-read
Jan 14, 2015
Kelly Saccomanno
Kelly Saccomanno marked it as to-read
Jan 10, 2015
Marcy
Marcy added it
Jan 05, 2015
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 next »
  • The Eleven Million Mile High Dancer
  • The Butterfly Kid
  • Ring of Swords
  • The Gameplayers of Zan (Ler, #2)
  • Day by Night
  • R.U.R. & War with the Newts
  • Arslan
  • Cradle of Saturn
  • Monstrocity
  • Winterlong (Winterlong, #1)
  • Helliconia Trilogy
  • The Mount
  • Of Men and Monsters
  • The Complete Roderick
  • Floating Worlds
  • Further: Beyond the Threshold
  • Sirius: A Fantasy of Love and Discord
  • Dark Benediction
Richard Garfinkle grew up in New York and now lives in Chicago with his wife and children. His first novel, Celestial Matters, won the Compton Crook award for best first science fiction novel of 1996. Garfinkle was twice a finalist for the John W. Campbell Award for best new writer. He has written numerous fiction and nonfiction works on his interests of history, science, imagination, and the pret ...more
More about Richard Garfinkle...
Celestial Matters Wayland's Principia Exaltations Unknowable Death Two By Two Souls Fly