All of an Instant

All of an Instant

3.63 of 5 stars 3.63  ·  rating details  ·  49 ratings  ·  9 reviews
From the author of Celestial Matters, which won the Compton Crook Award for best first novel and earned the author two nominations for the John W. Campbell Award for best new writer, All of an Instant is a large-scale, ground-breaking SF novel. It chronicles the discovery of a medium of existence outside of time (the Instant), from which one can influence all past and futu...more
Published December 2000 by Tor Books (first published November 2nd 1999)

To ask other readers questions about All of an Instant, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about All of an Instant

Jeremy
I found this book at Dollar General in their discount section. The read was certainly much better than the couple of bucks I spent on it. I found the story to be quite engaging, a different way of looking at time travel and the consequences of every action. Although I have not yet gotten around to it, this one is on the re-read shelf.
Kookatchi
I read this book two to three times up to now and am sure to pick it up again in the future.
Richard Garfinkle creates one huge metaphor for time travel and works with it to the last consequence.

Time travel is done by a chosen few tribes, who swim in the ocean of time, every movement they make creating a wave which in turn changes the world of normal people.
These changes are secondary to the travelers, change in the real world is constant, no one knows what the original history has once been. But...more
Paul Madarasz
This book strips away the glamor of the usual time-travel tales, with whole galactic civilizations disappearing, replaced by a stone-age earth -- thanks to bands of time-travelers who take it upon themselves to improve things by altering the past. It seems to me to be more realistic (if one can call time-travel realistic) than any other books in this sub-genre.
Rohitashva
Mindfuck. One statement says it all. The hardest to imagine is the unimaginable.
Alessandra
My husband wrote this book, so I can't be objective. Please excuse my bias, and now I suggest going and reading the review of somebody with some perspective.
Scott Ross
i bought it for the title and the premiss. hard to follow. i keep putting it down for months at a time. not sure if i will finish it.
T Dale
Crap. I got just a few pages into this before I gave it up as a bad experience. The style is impossible for me to follow.
Michelle Ruedin
A beautiful and unique universe. I've never read anything with a vision of time quite like this.
Robert
Gad this was struggle to finish. I've no idea why I kept going.
Piotr Szczęsny
Piotr Szczęsny marked it as to-read
Aug 27, 2014
Sean
Sean marked it as to-read
Aug 27, 2014
Rebecca
Rebecca marked it as to-read
Aug 26, 2014
Steven
Steven marked it as to-read
Aug 26, 2014
John
John added it
Aug 23, 2014
Aikiko
Aikiko marked it as to-read
Aug 16, 2014
Rustin Bendrix
Rustin Bendrix marked it as to-read
Aug 07, 2014
Duncan
Duncan marked it as to-read
Aug 03, 2014
Joris Vankerschaver
Joris Vankerschaver marked it as to-read
Jul 22, 2014
Jeff Richey
Jeff Richey marked it as to-read
Jul 12, 2014
George
George marked it as to-read
Jul 08, 2014
Brotha
Brotha marked it as to-read
Jul 04, 2014
Frank
Frank marked it as to-read
Jul 04, 2014
Nathaniel
Nathaniel is currently reading it
Jun 26, 2014
Deedee
Deedee marked it as to-read
Aug 19, 2014
Vivian Lee
Vivian Lee marked it as to-read
May 25, 2014
Ivo Kintobor
Ivo Kintobor marked it as to-read
May 18, 2014
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 next »
Richard Garfinkle grew up in New York and now lives in Chicago with his wife and children. His first novel, Celestial Matters, won the Compton Crook award for best first science fiction novel of 1996. Garfinkle was twice a finalist for the John W. Campbell Award for best new writer. He has written numerous fiction and nonfiction works on his interests of history, science, imagination, and the pret...more
More about Richard Garfinkle...
Celestial Matters Wayland's Principia Exaltations Unknowable Death Two By Two Souls Fly