Un luogo dove non sono mai stato

Un luogo dove non sono mai stato

3.81 of 5 stars 3.81  ·  rating details  ·  320 ratings  ·  14 reviews
A collection of ten stories which explore the joys and agonies of love and friendship. Each of the stories illuminates a dark corner of human existance. Some are amusing and some are tragic. The author also wrote "Family Dancing", "The Lost Language of Cranes" and "Equal Affections".
Published 1990 by Mondadori

To ask other readers questions about Un luogo dove non sono mai stato, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Un luogo dove non sono mai stato

Emily
Oct 25, 2007 Emily rated it 4 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: anyone who likes short stories
So, you know how people talk about a golden age of short story writing that took place during the 1980s? I often fantasize about that era, and try to find the writers who were part of it. This book was written in 1990, but Leavitt's first collection came out in 1984, and I wonder if he's part of the whole 1980s short story phenomenon. One of these stories made me cry, another gave me chills.
If you're wondering what kind of stories these are, they're hard realism (my favorite), contemporary su...more
John Treat
Leavitt, a writer I've in fact warmed to over the years, still makes me cringe a little (or a lot) when he writes about gay men, which is nearly all the time. You wouldn't want to be any of them. All very prissily neurotic. But this collection of short stories made me realize the pieces with no gay men in them are worse. It's as if he's straining to find something else to write about, but that something is never interesting. He should relax and just be content to be the Henry James of gay men's...more
Katie M.
These were fine. But after reading pretty much all of Leavitt's books I have officially become so, so, SO done with neurotic white Jewish gay NYC narratives. So done.
Isabella
Among the best short stories I have read....and I have read a lot.

Not a lot actually happens in the stories, they are merely episodes and and short periods out of someone's lives.

Mr. Leavitt only observes and we observe along with him. Wonderful writing style, easy to read.
Jiang Ni
Some interesting and touching short stories, quite full of emotions. Mostly homosexual related topics - such as a friendship between a gay man and a woman; two gay teenagers; lesbian ex-friend who married another man, etc. I recommend this one. Easy to read.
Kathy
A solid collection of short stories, primarily gay themed. The writing is lyrical, smooth like beach glass. Some of the stories skim the surface, some are deeper, but all address universal issues in unique ways.
Jen Hughes
It's a series of short stories. The first and the last were really the only two worth reading. Oh, and each story is based in some way on homosexuality and suffering. It's not an uplifting book.
Dusty
Somewhat dated collection of short stories by the incredible David Leavitt. Although feeling old now (this book was written in the 90s), it made for a quick read on a plane ride.
Mikael Kuoppala
A collection of truly original and well written strories that adress some very relevant themes concerning our western lifestyle.
Jean
The opening story made a huge impression on me. I had a relationship just like that and the story just cut to the heart.
L a n c e
i wont ever forget reading as much of this book as i could on a bus from new york city to boston.
Elena
I particularly liked: My Marriage to Vengeance and I See London, I See France...
Steve
Great set of stories that explore a wide variety of personalities.
Kevin
A disappointing follow-up after reading Family Dancing. Forgettable
Brooke
Brooke marked it as to-read
Sep 16, 2014
Penny
Penny is currently reading it
Sep 16, 2014
Zoe Hollinger
Zoe Hollinger marked it as to-read
Sep 01, 2014
Sanz
Sanz marked it as to-read
Aug 31, 2014
Paul Del
Paul Del marked it as to-read
Aug 29, 2014
Chance
Chance marked it as to-read
Aug 19, 2014
Jasmine
Jasmine marked it as to-read
Aug 08, 2014
Brian King
Brian King marked it as to-read
Aug 07, 2014
Jt Thomas
Jt Thomas marked it as to-read
Aug 06, 2014
  • Love in a Dark Time: And Other Explorations of Gay Lives and Literature
  • Goldenboy
  • Becoming a Man: Half a Life Story
  • Hidden from History: Reclaiming the Gay and Lesbian Past
  • How Long Has This Been Going On?
  • Martin and John
  • The Men from the Boys
  • An Arrow's Flight
  • Harlan's Race (Harlan's Story, #2)
  • That's Mr. Faggot to You: Further Trials from My Queer Life
  • The Best Little Boy in the World
Leavitt is a graduate of Yale University and a professor at the University of Florida, where he is the co-director of the creative writing program. He is also the editor of Subtropics magazine, The University of Florida's literary review.

Leavitt, who is openly gay, has frequently explored gay issues in his work. He divides his time between Florida and Tuscany, Italy.
More about David Leavitt...
The Lost Language of Cranes While England Sleeps The Indian Clerk The Two Hotel Francforts Family Dancing