Start by marking “Un luogo dove non sono mai stato ” as Want to Read:
Un luogo dove non sono mai stato

Un luogo dove non sono mai stato

A collection of ten stories which explore the joys and agonies of love and friendship. Each of the stories illuminates a dark corner of human existance. Some are amusing and some are tragic. The author also wrote "Family Dancing", "The Lost Language of Cranes" and "Equal Affections".
Published 1990 by Mondadori

To ask other readers questions about Un luogo dove non sono mai stato, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Un luogo dove non sono mai stato

Emily
Oct 25, 2007 Emily rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: anyone who likes short stories
So, you know how people talk about a golden age of short story writing that took place during the 1980s? I often fantasize about that era, and try to find the writers who were part of it. This book was written in 1990, but Leavitt's first collection came out in 1984, and I wonder if he's part of the whole 1980s short story phenomenon. One of these stories made me cry, another gave me chills.
If you're wondering what kind of stories these are, they're hard realism (my favorite), contemporary su
John Treat
Leavitt, a writer I've in fact warmed to over the years, still makes me cringe a little (or a lot) when he writes about gay men, which is nearly all the time. You wouldn't want to be any of them. All very prissily neurotic. But this collection of short stories made me realize the pieces with no gay men in them are worse. It's as if he's straining to find something else to write about, but that something is never interesting. He should relax and just be content to be the Henry James of gay men's ...more
Samir Rawas Sarayji
Dec 08, 2015 Samir Rawas Sarayji rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: own, short-stories
I'd say it's more of a 3.5 rating. I enjoyed the bulk of the stories here, although some more than others. Leaviit has a talent for writing stories with myriad characters that are still unique from one another and memorable (think of the opening chapters in War & Peace). Although it's not my flavour of tea with short stories, those that do have many interacting characters are still amusing to read and the heaviness of some themes is then masked by the consequent lightness of this style. The ...more
Kathy
Jul 17, 2011 Kathy rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A solid collection of short stories, primarily gay themed. The writing is lyrical, smooth like beach glass. Some of the stories skim the surface, some are deeper, but all address universal issues in unique ways.
Katie M.
Nov 03, 2009 Katie M. rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2008, queer, jews
These were fine. But after reading pretty much all of Leavitt's books I have officially become so, so, SO done with neurotic white Jewish gay NYC narratives. So done.
Mikael Kuoppala
May 17, 2012 Mikael Kuoppala rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: favorites
A collection of truly original and well written strories that adress some very relevant themes concerning our western lifestyle.
Tanya Hallam
Dec 31, 2014 Tanya Hallam rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
You know that book that you loaned
to a friend that you wish you had not? This is that book. Sure I can buy another copy but I have so many memories of picking up THAT copy and re-reading certain short stories over the last 20+ years. I have been the "Celia" in "I See London, I See France". I had my Nathan. We no longer speak. He introduced me to David Leavitt's books. Every story in here is a gem. I also highly recommend Leavitt's book The Lost Language Of Cranes.
Antonia Jackson
I read it all the stories but did not enjoy the weird, self centred viewpoints. Little men who never grew up; ok you are gay, you are Jewish, there are many rich Jewish relatives but get over it. The Italian tale is the same, one Jewish lady, and so much love/lust history instead of divorce. Spare me please.
Penny
Oct 27, 2014 Penny rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
This is the second book of short stories I've read this year and I've decided they're not for me. They seem superficial and you don't get time to develop a real engagement with the characters.
Jiang Ni
Some interesting and touching short stories, quite full of emotions. Mostly homosexual related topics - such as a friendship between a gay man and a woman; two gay teenagers; lesbian ex-friend who married another man, etc. I recommend this one. Easy to read.
Jen Hughes
It's a series of short stories. The first and the last were really the only two worth reading. Oh, and each story is based in some way on homosexuality and suffering. It's not an uplifting book.
Dusty
Mar 12, 2009 Dusty rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Somewhat dated collection of short stories by the incredible David Leavitt. Although feeling old now (this book was written in the 90s), it made for a quick read on a plane ride.
Jean
Oct 26, 2008 Jean rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
The opening story made a huge impression on me. I had a relationship just like that and the story just cut to the heart.
L a n c e
I wont ever forget finding a copy at the Strand, and reading as much as I could on the bus home to Boston.
Elena
Sep 01, 2008 Elena rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I particularly liked: My Marriage to Vengeance and I See London, I See France...
Aurora
Dec 31, 2015 Aurora rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2015, aaa_kindle
difficile, assoluto, a volte noioso. parecchio sincero. una buona compagnia.
Steve
Nov 18, 2009 Steve rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Great set of stories that explore a wide variety of personalities.
Kevin
Jul 16, 2015 Kevin rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fiction
A disappointing follow-up after reading Family Dancing. Forgettable
William
William marked it as to-read
Sep 21, 2016
BookDB
BookDB marked it as to-read
Sep 18, 2016
Martin Olesh
Martin Olesh rated it liked it
Sep 11, 2016
Debs
Debs marked it as to-read
Sep 06, 2016
TwigTw
TwigTw rated it really liked it
Sep 19, 2016
Sherry
Sherry marked it as to-read
Aug 14, 2016
Martijn ten Velden
Martijn ten Velden marked it as to-read
Aug 12, 2016
Mark De Yi
Mark De Yi rated it it was amazing
Aug 09, 2016
Ario D'Amato
Ario D'Amato marked it as to-read
Aug 03, 2016
Bobby Gabehart
Bobby Gabehart rated it really liked it
Aug 02, 2016
Daniel Naranjo
Daniel Naranjo rated it it was amazing
Aug 02, 2016
Robert
Robert marked it as to-read
Aug 01, 2016
  • Numbers
  • Kept Boy
  • Martin and John
  • Eighty-Sixed
  • Hello Darling, Are You Working?
  • Blue Heaven
  • Harlan's Race (Harlan's Story, #2)
Leavitt is a graduate of Yale University and a professor at the University of Florida, where he is the co-director of the creative writing program. He is also the editor of Subtropics magazine, The University of Florida's literary review.

Leavitt, who is openly gay, has frequently explored gay issues in his work. He divides his time between Florida and Tuscany, Italy.
More about David Leavitt...