Start by marking “Tribesmen” as Want to Read:
Tribesmen

Tribesmen

"Sick and sardonic and just plain brilliant." -Duane Swierczynski, author of Fun & Games and Expiration Date

"A cunning, cinematic redmeat feast for weird film lovers and horror freaks, Adam Cesare's Tribesmen is a first-rate literary midnight movie, and a blistering debut. BRING YOUR FRIENDS!" - John Skipp, from his introduction.

In the early 80's - at the height of the
Published February 1st 2012 by Ravenous Romance

To ask other readers questions about Tribesmen, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Tribesmen

11811 (Eleven)
Dec 22, 2014 11811 (Eleven) rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to 11811 (Eleven) by: Bill
Shelves: favorites
When I was a derelict coming of age pain in the ass kid, when VHS rentals were popping up in every town, I would head straight for the horror corner where every title had a cover resembling this one.

Five stars for the cover.

This takes the film Cannibal Holocaust in a new direction, from the point of view of those making the film. All sorts of crazy shit happens that you will not find in film but it was done well; it was done right.

I can't watch Cannibal Holocaust again (too graphic) but I could
Kimberly
Dec 31, 2014 Kimberly rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: extreme-horror
With TRIBESMEN, Adam Cesare uses a despicable director, Tito, to take his small crew to a Caribbean Island. Once there, Tito plans on making a film to rival other Italian Cannibal films that have been in the market.

(view spoiler)

Recommended!
Kaisersoze
Cesare's debut novella recently re-released by Deadite Press is an enjoyable homage to the cannibal exploitation flicks of the late 70s/early 80s. Following a small film crew as they make their way to a cursed Caribbean island, Cesare effectively develops his cast of characters in a speedy fashion before putting them in harm's way.

Though it ends up being quite a bit different to those cannibal films I referenced earlier, Tribesmen is an effective shocker and a hell of a debut book. I've read Ces
Bill
Aug 16, 2014 Bill rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A lean and mean debut novella from Adam Cesare. There is no fluff in this one. Starts fast and continues it pace until the very end. Very well done. Highly Recommended for a bloody quick and entertaining read.
Ms. Nikki
Mean and a little too lean. Adam chewed his characters up and spit them out, bones and all.

While I respect the fast and furious angle of the story, I could have used a little more sauce on the barbecue because it was bland. No special spices or tender meat that fell off the bones. I was served it raw and rare. Take it or leave it, the Tribesmen was a teaser until Adam serves up a full-sized treat.

3 boneless ribs
Hunter Shea
Sep 18, 2015 Hunter Shea rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Hot damn, this was a great read. Unsettling and gory with doses of black humor. Cesare knows his stuff and is fast becoming one of my favorite authors. If you like exploitation horror flicks, you have to pick this up!
K. Wood
Feb 03, 2012 K. Wood rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
One of the greatest rewards that comes from publishing Shock Totem is being able to watch young writers evolve within their craft. Even when I read something less than great from them, there remains something special about it.

It’s in the knowing that they’re going to eventually come back with something that will knock my socks off, I think. There’s an it factor, involved—easy to see, but impossible to explain.

And Adam Cesare has it.

Tribesmen is Adam’s debut novella, and it’s a thing of blood
David Church
May 08, 2013 David Church rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Growing up I was always fascinated w/exploitation films, my dad used to take me to the drive in to see Convoy, Take this Job and Shove it, and other cheaply made films. When I was old enough to rent VHS I was drawn to the horror side of exploitation – I Spit on Your Grave, Cannibal Holocaust, Doc. Butcher M.D, etc..etc…
Adam does a great job paying homage to this genre of exploitation films from the 60s and 70s. He captured that gritty dirty feeling you get while watching this schlock. Adam is q
Maxine Marsh
Jan 13, 2015 Maxine Marsh rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Thanks to Eleven!

5 people set off to film a trashy 'Cannibal Holocaust' ripoff and get more than they bargained for. Any more description would ruin the surprise elements of the story, so I'll leave it there. This novella was great- lots of gore but the characterizations were also surprisingly well done for a story this short. Great work on the new cover too.
Matthew Vaughn
Jul 04, 2015 Matthew Vaughn rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: horror, 2015
After reading The first one you expect, I have made it my goal to read all of Adam Cesare's books and Tribesman reinforced the need to meet that goal. A short, and faced paced read, Adam doesn't waste time bringing out the violence. Recommended for any horror fan.
Gatorman
Mar 05, 2017 Gatorman rated it liked it
Passable horror novella from Cesare about a group of second-rate filmmakers and actors travelling to an island to make a low-budget horror movie. Not much new or exciting here but it's a quick read and has a few moments. 2.5 stars bumped to 3 because it's well-written.
Claudia
Nov 04, 2012 Claudia rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Cesare wastes no time building you up for the exciting tale he intends to share with you. I was hooked from the first page. The prose is concise and beautifully written, the characters are revealed in each chapter from their point of view which makes it about as intimate as a horror novel gets. The characters are all fully developed in a short amount of time and you are invested in what happens to each of them. It's a story of violence and vengeance told in a minimum of words with a maximum of i ...more
Megan
May 22, 2016 Megan rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Tribesmen was the second book I have read from this author. It was a perfect bite size serving of horror, and easy to finish in one sitting. The story starts off right away. We are given just enough world building to set the story up quickly, and I loved that. With a fast pace, and non stop action, this book had me on the edge of my seat the whole time. It definitely had an 80's horror movie feel to it. Joe Hempel was the narrator of the audiobook, and was perfect as usual. He does such an amazi ...more
Tim
Oct 14, 2015 Tim rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Tribesmen by Adam Cesare is such a fun horror book. I absolutely loved this book. This definitely felt like the author was honoring the edgy horror movies of the past while giving it a modern feel. There is a lot of gore and violence but it is never excessive. Rather it fits in the plot perfectly. The pace of this book is great. It moves along at a quick pace and I never wanted to put the book down. The characters were developed well and I felt they came across as real people. Overall this was a ...more
Orrin Grey
May 26, 2016 Orrin Grey rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Ostensibly an ode to the Italian cannibal film genre, Adam Cesare's stunning debut is as much Hollywood Boulevard as it is Cannibal Holocaust; a loving nod to exploitation film that never dips into exploitation itself. I was, of course, already a fan of Cesare's work from some of his later volumes and stories, but I figured it was high time to go back to the beginning and see where it all got started. I'm glad I did.
Justin
Oct 23, 2014 Justin rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: free-to-review
This was my second book by this author and I loved them both, this had awesome character development especially for the length it was and the story was great. There is only one reason I didn't give it five stars. (view spoiler)
Bracken
Jun 07, 2012 Bracken rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This book is a high octane, needle in the red, horror thriller that grabs you by the balls and puts the hammer down. Although it is the perfect length, I wish I had more of it left to read. This is one of those instances where I really regret finishing a book simply because I want to stay in the author's twisted head a little longer.
Jack
Jul 27, 2014 Jack rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
With "Tribesmen" Adam Cesare shows his love for the cannibal/exploitation films of the early 1980's. Cult Italian horror director, Tito Bronze, takes his crew to a remote island to film a cannibal film, but he doesn't plan for the dead islanders haunting his set with dire consequences. One of those books you literally blaze through. Cesare really is one to watch.
Gef
Mar 23, 2012 Gef rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: horror
There is something almost mythological about the film industry of the 70s. Maybe it was the tumultuous political climate mixed with an upheaval in cultural norms, but whatever the catalysts were, movies from that era carry a certain mystique when we look back on them. Especially, if you have any appreciation for cult classics and exploitation films. It seems Adam Cesare has a great appreciation for that era, and if not he sure knows how to fake it.

Tribesmen is a tightly packed story of a small f
Mekenzie Larsen
Xander
"Tribesmen" is a menacing beast of a novella and mines the seedy cannibal films as a backdrop for an original and engaging novella. I think my only quibble with the title was blowing through it in a day. The pacing was top notch and as a huge fan of 1970s Italian Ultra-violence Cinema, I absolutely appreciated the meta "behind-the-scenes" storylines and character background. What would make me ecstatic is if a Director out there would hire Cesare and adapt this novella to film. "Tribesmen" is a ...more
Leslee
I've been waiting a while to read this and decided to buy it on a whim since I figure, when better to read a novel like this than while flying on a tiny plane to a small tropical island in the middle of nowhere?

The writing was good, perfectly serviceable, but I think in the end the shortcomings of the novel were really exacerbated by my expectations. This was quite a short novella and I think could have been great if fleshed out more into a full novel format which gave us really more insight in
Glenn Rolfe
Oct 11, 2014 Glenn Rolfe rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Tribesmen, what can I say? I really dig Adam Cesare's writing. This one, about a group out to make a Cannibal Holocaust-type movie, has Adam trying on his inner-Laymon and inner-Keene. Both suit him well. At points, it reminded me of Laymon's The Woods are Dark, and Keene's Castaways, but ultimately, Adam's voice shines through. After reading and really loving his Samhain novel, The Summer Job, I was warned that this one was a little more nasty. While that is true, I didn't find it to be all tha ...more
Bryan
Aug 03, 2015 Bryan rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Being a fan of 80's B-horror flicks I very much looked forward to reading Tribesmen by Adam Cesare based solely on the description. I knew what to expect when I first delved into the pages but what I didn't see coming was a twist so far out of left field from the traditional cannibal stories I couldn't put it down. The characters are recognizable and hearken back to the glory days of this sub-genre and whether they met a grisly demise (no spoilers here) or... Tribesmen is a quick satisfying read ...more
Donald Armfield
Have been wanting to read this from original publisher. When I seen a small post it "Banned in 28 Countries." IMO for me says read this now. And at that it did not let me down.

A camera, a cast of characters (that don't know what they are getting into), & some cannibalism torture. Gives this book a one helluva read.
When the camera stats to roll, the Italian man comes walking. Chopping heads off and devouring his victims. But the turn in events were not suppose to go this far. A bloody story
Larry
Feb 18, 2014 Larry rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Another great read from mr. Cesare
Keith
May 23, 2017 Keith rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Adam Cesare’s Tribemen is one of those short novels—much like the gross-out that is Cannibal Holocaust—that almost has a legend surrounding it. It was one of the first of only three titles to come out from the much-lamented Ravenous Shadows imprint that was spearheaded by splatterpunk legend, John Skipp. The books published by Ravenous Shadows—The Devoted, Die Bastard! Die!, and Tribesmen—were quick, brutal reads meant to be devoured in a two hour sitting. And then like most e-publishing operati ...more
Tim McWhorter
Mar 07, 2017 Tim McWhorter rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Started out as a five star, but didn't maintain. I didn't care for the direction the story line took, but it was still thrilling and very well written. Recommended.
Nathan Robinson
Jun 09, 2012 Nathan Robinson rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Tribesmen by Adam Cesare.
Remember those shock horror exploitation movies from the 70’s and 80’s? Cannibal Holocaust, Cannibal Ferox, Eaten Alive etc, etc. Some even alluded to being snuff films showing real gore, which gave further mileage to the famed ‘video nasties’.
Adam Cesare’s debut novel deals with one such shoot in which a Euro trash director, Tito Bronze maroons his cast and crew on a desolate isle with the intention of utilising the local natives. When the local are nowhere to be found
Andrew
  • Depraved 2
  • The Last Final Girl
  • Apeshit
  • The After-Life Story of Pork Knuckles Malone
Adam Cesare is a New Yorker who lives in Philadelphia. He studied English and film at Boston University.

His work has been featured in numerous publications, including Shroud Magazine. His nonfiction has appeared in Paracinema, Fangoria, The LA Review of Books and other venues.
More about Adam Cesare...

“The thing that you start believing when you’re on movie sets so often, is that everything around you is complete make-believe.” 0 likes