The Hueys in the New Sweater

The Hueys in the New Sweater (The Hueys)

3.89 of 5 stars 3.89  ·  rating details  ·  845 ratings  ·  147 reviews
A brand-new series and cast of characters from the mind of Oliver Jeffers

The Hueys are small and mischievous, unique compared to the world's other creatures--but hardly unique to one another. You see, each Huey looks the same, thinks the same, and does the same exact things. So you can imagine the chaos when one of them has the idea of knitting a sweater! It seems like a g...more
Published May 24th 2012 by Philomel (first published April 1st 2012)

To ask other readers questions about The Hueys in the New Sweater, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Hueys in the New Sweater

babyhippoface
I am trying to figure out what I think about this one. Here's sort of the thought process I went through reading it....

Thought #1: This is like the Sneetches.
Thought #2: What is that thing in the middle of their foreheads?
Thought #3: Wait. Is this an "it's okay to be gay" book?
Thought #4: Is it hair? No--it's a nose. Nope--it's--uh...it's a nose, but it's weird.
Thought #5: Oop. Is this a statement on conformity and the lack of originality in our world?
Thought #6: How come the sweaters have arm...more
Monica!
So the text in this book is funny enough, but it’s the illustrations that make it so fantastical, and it’s the great tragedy of my life that at the moment my scanner is broken and I cannot .jpg the entire thing for your viewing pleasure.

Of course, that might break some copyright laws.

And upset the author.

And then he might not draw me any more adorable Huey books!

So perhaps it’s just as well.

Basically the Hueys all look alike. They’re sort of egg-shaped. And pencil-y. And have a thing for tea, a...more
Jen
I first read this book a few weeks ago (March 23ish). I had to reread it before writing my review to see if it was as strange as my memory was telling me it was.

It was. Strange, very strange.

I'm sort of ambivalent about it, but the fact that I'm thinking about it enough to realize my ambivalence - and the reasons for it - makes me give this book an "I liked it" rating of three stars.

On the one hand, I really liked Rupert and his desire to be a nonconformist, think for himself, and do something...more
midnightfaerie
A book my 5 yr old as well as my twin 3 yr olds loved. A solid reading level 1 book, this cute story keeps all ages engaged with the bright colorful pictures and cute story. A great addition to any children's library.
Jessica Hottman
Summary:
The Hueys all dress, look, act, and do the same things. One day, a Huey named Rupert decides to knit a new sweater, but other Hueys dislike that he is acting different. Rupert's friend named Gillespie decides that he wants to be different too, and he also knits a sweater. Pretty soon, everyone wants to be different, and all of the Hueys become unique.

Audience:
This book is intended for young, elementary-aged children.

Appeal:
The colors and illustrations in this book are simple but very eff...more
Kathleen Dixon
This book reminds me of those various teenagers who dress up as Goths or as Punks for some reason - perhaps they want to thumb their noses at the older generation or at authority; perhaps they want to be different to everybody else - but they all look the same as each other.

Maybe that's what this author was thinking about when he wrote this children's book. The Hueys all look exactly the same, and do everything exactly the same, until one day one of them knits a jumper. Shock, horror! He's ostr...more
Robin
TED 8650 Children's Literature

Who gets excited when you get new clothes? (Students raise hands.) What do other people say about your new clothes? (Students share.) That's good. This book is called The New Sweater. It is about Rupert who knits himself a new sweater. You said that people compliment you on your new clothes. How do Rupert's friends look on the cover? (Students answer.) That's right, some of them look shocked. How do their clothes look versus Rupert's new sweater? (Student's answer.)...more
Jocelin
Cute little story about little odd shaped egg "people". In the beginning, all of The Hueys are the exact same. One of them decides to switch things up by making a sweater. Of course, he stands out and begins to feel left out. Then someone else comes up with the idea to wear the same sweater and he doesn't feel so lonely. Then everyone gets into the act. Then everyone is like everyone else again. Then at the end comes the twist.
This was a funny story about funny little people. Kids will get a goo...more
Jenni Heimach
Great for teaching how to be your self and appreciating differences.
Joanna Cheng
The book title is The Hueys in the new sweater created by Oliver Jeffers. The art materials she uses in the picture book is pencil and watercolor. Jennifer illustrates all the characters by using pencil. The watercolored orange new sweater on all the Hueys really stands out in the illustration of the picture book. The choice color definitely interprets the characters in the picture book. Each of Hueys drew in he grey and black looks the same like an egg or computer mouse. It looks like a dull an...more
Tasha
All of the Hueys are the same. They are all white ovals with skinny, stick legs and arms. They even acted and thought the same, until one day when Rupert knitted himself a sweater. It was a bright orange sweater with zig-zags and it made him stand out from all of the other Hueys. Rupert was very proud of his sweater, but the other Hueys often reacted in shock and horror at it. Rupert went to talk with Gillespie, who was also intrigued by being different. Gillespie knitted himself a sweater just...more
Ashley
Oliver Jeffers' understated and unique illustrations again add fun and flavor to a story. The Hueys could be used to teach many a lesson - individuality, self expression, or a color focus - but since they are all wearing sweaters it fit (pun intended) for a great winter storytime about things we wear when it's cold. An enjoyable choice that gave the opportunity for many questions and explorations far beyond what they Huey's were wearing.
Robin
Today concludes the theme of What we wear in Winter so this picture book featuring a sweater is a lot of fun. This book was chosen by fellow librarian Ashley Prior for the Tales for 2s program at Lincoln PL. She admits to a fondness for Oliver Jefferswhich I will admit to as well. His books are always quirky and fun. This one is no exception!
Stacy
This was book was regarding conformity. It reminded me of those teenagers who rebel against their parents and try to be their "own person," yet end up looking exactly the same as every other rebellious teenager. Not a bad book, just not one I like enough to add to my picture book library.

The characters in this book kind of resemble Ike (Kyle's little brother) from South Park in my opinion.
Paula
Pretty simple. All the Hueys are exactly the same, but then Rupert decides to knit a sweater and stand out. Initially, he's not accepted by the others. The Hueys, however, quickly decide that it's not so strange being different. This book reminded me of The Big Orange Splot by Pinkwater. I would recommend this book to children/teachers/parents of ages 3-8
Mark
In what promises to be the first in a series about the Hueys, little egg-shaped creatures with just lines for limbs, the cast of characters are indistinguishable from one another until a fellow named Rupert knits himself an orange sweater. The text plainly states that "most of the other Hueys were horrified!" when Huey strolls by in his jaunty new duds.

Then, another Huey named Gillespie decides that "being different was interesting," and he knits himself a sweater just like Rupert’s. This gets...more
Kate
Dec 08, 2012 Kate rated it 4 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: K-3rd
Quirky and deceptively simple with line drawings. The Hueys are alike in look, thought and act until one deviates from the crowd by knitting and wearing a sweater. Shocking! Until another decides to do the same. And another and another. Pretty soon all the Hueys are wearing sweaters and all are different now. Well, they all look the same but they appear to do different things now and seem to talk more than eh and oh. And then the first Huey decides to wear a hat... Fun look at how we can be the...more
Kaethe
Honestly, I can't say why this one charmed me. There are plenty of picture books about following the crowd, and many of them use penguins, of which I am inordinately fond. This uses strangely egg-like beings called Hueys. And where I admire the ability of artists like Mo Willems to create evocative art with simple pencil sketches, I can't even pretend that these Hueys are drawn well in a simple style. On the contrary, they look kind of slap-dash.

Nonetheless, the bright orange (a color I particul...more
Barbara
All the Hueys look exactly the same, and consequently, they sound and act just alike. But Rubert decides to break the mold for one reason, and after knitting a bright orange sweater, he really stands out from the rest. Most of the other Hueys are critical of his choice, but another Huey, Gillespie joins him, starting a trend. All of a sudden, orange sweaters are cool, and Rupert comes up with another idea. I loved this book and its message about sameness. How boring the world would be if all of...more
Tiffany Askins
This is a book about The Hueys and how all of them look the same until one Huey decides that he doesn't want to look like the others anymore. This would be a great read aloud at the beginning of the year to discuss people's differences.
Diane
"The thing about the Hueys is that they were all the same."

What happens when one Huey decides to dress differently? Rupert defies the "group think" and begins to wear a sweater. Though some of the Hueys are horrified, he finds support from others. That support leads to acceptance from the larger group. "Being different was catching on ... and the others wanted to be different, too."

A simple book about an individual who thinks outside the box. Love it.
Caitlin Sabers
I love this! I saw a really great picture of blank Hueys in their sweaters that people could color on for an event for the book. I will definitely implement that in my class. Fun fact: the non-American version (and original) uses jumper instead of sweater. I wish the original was sold here because it is a great teaching point that not everyone calls everything the same thing. This book is great to discuss individualism and being yourself, but it could also be used to discuss society and how it o...more
Sharon Lawler
Rupert's sweater made him different from the other Hueys. Pretty soon, all the Huey s wore Rupert's sweater so they could be different, too. Reminds me of middle school.
Snorkle
The pictures were kind of bizarre. I wasn't sure what these egg-like creatures were - were they in fact eggs? But then what was that random oval on their heads? Hair? I wasn't sure and that was a little disconcerting. I think maybe I was missing something from an earlier Huey book - the title made me think there were previous books. I also felt a little bad because one of the Hueys knitted a sweater to be different and then everyone was doing it. But the little guy didn't get angry, he just deci...more
Lisa
Another great story from Oliver Jeffers. Delightful characters with subtle, interwoven meaning. A must read to one's children or having them read to you.
The Hueys "all looked the same, thought the same . . .and did the same things" until Rupert knits himself a funky new sweater. While many put down Rupert's desire to be an individual, some of the Hueys decide they want to be different too and knit themselves the same sweater. Finally, everyone is "different, and no one was the same anymore." That is until Rupert decides to begin wearing a hat.

I love Jeffers' sense of humor and style! The Hueys convey a good message for young students about find...more
Jessica
The Hueys are a weird egg-shaped group of people (species?) with stick-like arms and legs who communicate in "eh?"s and "ah!"s and "oh..."s They all look exactly the same, and they all do exactly the same things. One day, one of the Hueys, Rupert, decides that he wants to knit himself a sweater and wear it (an orange one, no less). Such is this tale of nonconformity.

I really like the simple, yet eyecatching illustrations, which will very much appeal to adults. I can't say whether they'll appeal...more
Bree
Notes:
this was funny one time and then the kids didn't ask for it again
has a be yourself/be different moral
Lindsey
I love Oliver Jeffers funky illustrations. They aren't cute. They are just plain weird.

The Hueys are a group of somethings that all look the same, like the same things, and appear to all live together harmoniously until...one of the Huey's decides to knit himself a sweater.

Of course you'd expect this book to be about how it is okay to be different from everyone else, but it's not. The Hueys are all the same for a reason--the influence of one Huey at a time. And here it starts with a sweater.

I...more
Destinee Sutton
A fun little book about being different and setting trends. It could be about how little siblings always copy older siblings, or about trying to set yourself apart from the pack only to have the pack follow you (see Stephanie's Ponytail). It could be about a bigger kind of conformity and difference, too.

Jeffers' Hueys have so much humor and pathos for such simple little pencil drawings. It's really great.

Side note: Oliver Jeffers often draws noses on this charaters' foreheads. What's up with t...more
  • Infinity and Me
  • Chloe, Instead
  • Oh, No!
  • Little Bird
  • Dog in Charge
Oliver Jeffers makes art.

From figurative painting and installation to illustration and picture-book making, his work has been exhibited in New York, Dublin, London, Sydney, Washington DC, Belfast and elsewhere.
A co-founder of the art collective OAR, their exhibitions include 9 days in Belfast, book and the award winning BUILDING.
Illustration clients include Orange UK, Lavazza, Sony PSP, RCA Recor...more
More about Oliver Jeffers...
Lost and Found Stuck The Incredible Book Eating Boy This Moose Belongs to Me How to Catch a Star