3.7 of 5 stars 3.70  ·  rating details  ·  336 ratings  ·  34 reviews
More information to be announced soon on this forthcoming title from Penguin USA
Published November 2011 by Penguin Group US

To ask other readers questions about The Amazing Adventures of Phoenix Jones, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Amazing Adventures of Phoenix Jones

Linda
Sort of the anti-Ben Mezrich (who has an unmatched ability for tracking down the most fascinating topics/subjects, only to render them unlikeable and unrelatable through his writing), Jon Ronson takes subjects that I may only half-heartedly find interesting and presents them in compassionate, compelling, hilarious, irresistible ways. This was no exception. I only wish it were longer. I will read anything he writes.
Sam Quixote
A daycare manager for autistic children by day, masked vigilante at night. A scenario many people have read before in comics, except this is real life. Phoenix Jones is the real life super hero’s (RLSH) name and fighting crime is his game. I remember hearing about him in the news a year or so ago so I was interested when the excellent Jon Ronson (The Men Who Stare At Goats, Them, The Psychopath Test) set out to interview him and find out why people are now dressing as superheroes and patrolling...more
Chris
Good, lighthearted, Ronson doing his thing at the top of his game. Read my other Ronson reviews, they pretty much all apply here in this short story. Ronson lets Jones tell his story in his own words, playing the part of the foil perfectly. I give it 4 stars only because of the subject material, quite honestly Jones isn't all that interesting compared to the KKK or psychopaths.

Good read, you won't be disappointed.
Ron
Let me be clear right off the bat. This was a short and fun read, not because of the prose, but because of the content. I didn't grow up reading comic books, nor did I ever wish to become a superhero. I did have a slight fascination with Superman from the ages of 6-11, but I never really got into the culture like some of my friends.

With that said, I have to tell you this true story was fascinating. I had no idea that so many people are emulating superheroes and kicking ass in our society. I've s...more
Heather
This was, really, more of an extended magazine article than a "book," with an excerpt from another of Jon Ronson's books at the end of it - so, I'm a little peeved that I paid $3 bucks for it. But, that said...I laughed out loud lots.

Did you know there were real-life superheroes? The reason I knew is because a good friend's ex-husband IS one.

No, really. He dresses up like a superhero. Banker by day, crimefighter in tights by night.

And, apparently, he's not the only one - there are dozens acros...more
Teeliles

I was a bit disappointed in this book. For one thing, it's VERY short (which I should have figured out before buying it!); the excerpts from other books by the author make up almost half of the novel! I gave it three stars anyway, because my second reason probably won't affect other readers: I saw the author on The Daily Show, when he told a hysterical anecdote about the adventures of Phoenix Jones. Turns out that the anecdote describes almost all of the book! Which was a pretty big spoiler for...more
Russell
Funny and interesting look at a pretty crazy little subculture
Matthew Ardill
A great little inside look at Pheonix Jones' life and the broader "Real Life Superhero" movement. It makes me think what it would take for me to go to the lengths Jones goes. I know Rain Wilson is looking to make a reality show about Jones and while I think he's utterly mad it's interesting to see what made him mad and how he's using that and how much (in some ways) I can see his point. What I also find interesting is the bitter little rivalries that seem to be going on in the "RLS" movement. A...more
Ryan
This is the true story of Phoenix Jones, a real life superhero who fights crime on the streets of Seattle. Jon Ronson is a reporter who followed Phoenix around for a story published in GQ, and the writing is definitely straight to the point. Phoenix is a very likable character, and loves fighting crime, and Ronson weaves an entertaining narrative. His affection for Phoenix is apparent, and Ronson gives him the respect he deserves in his writing, and makes this story a must for any superhero fan...more
Felipe Maia
The Amazing Adventures of Phoenix Jones: And the Less Amazing Adventures of Some Other Real-Life Superheroes is an entertaining piece of work. I really enjoyed reading it, since is an interesting subject and Jon Ronson writes greatly as always. A good read that I recommend to anyone who likes super heroes and want to know how would they are in the real world. The only problem is the shortness of the book. Jon could explore much more of the theme, specially after what he shows us in the end of Ph...more
Dan Mccarthy
Quick read that gives a fascinating look into what happens when ComicCon attendees take their fantasy into real life. Ronson is sensitive, respectful and open-eyed as he follows some regular guys in their quest to mete justice where justice is deserved without getting themselves too banged up. Quixotic? Stupid? Fearless? Admirable? You get to be the judge.
Michael Shore
Fun, short read about a real life superhero fighting the bad guys out in Seattle. Interesting young man who could probably put his talents into something more long term and practical, but for now, chooses to help out his community.

This was my first read of anything by Jon Ronson, but i will be checking out some of his other work. Thanks Eric. :-)
Cláudia
I´m a huge Ronson fan and loved this story, however, calling this an ebook is quite a stretch. It´s roughly the same size as each of the stories he tells in "lost at sea" so maybe it should have been published as part of a similar book. It just felt like it could be a bit more developed.
That being said... it´s HILARIOUS as usual!
Marlena
As always, Jon Ronson brings humanity to a fringe movement. Phoenix Jones is truly an amazing person with some great and brave outlooks on life. He is inspiring, not just to all of those who have idolized superheros as kids, but also to those of us who want justice, but don't always take action. It's an article worth reading.
Emma2011
While it offers a somewhat in depth view into the delusional minds and chaotic lives of real life superheros, the narrative is very disconnected, jumping from subject to subject, the dialogue seems unnatural, and Ronson seems to romanticize very dangerous actions by glorified vigilantes.
Stuart
The main piece on Phoenix Jones is short (a 20 minute read) but very sweet. Ronson appears to be deeply enamoured with Jones - much more so than the other Real Life Super Heroes in the book.

(The second half of the ebook is an excerpt from Ronson's book The Psychopath Test.)
Cassandra Moses
yes. now I want to meet Phoenix even more! this was so short that I wanted more... and the shortness of it and the fact that there was one spelling error and one comma error is why I only gave it 3 stars. I am excited to read one of Jon's other books.
Ardell
I've become a fan of The author through his other books. I wish that this piece was longer. It was very interesting. I would have liked to seen more from a psychological point of view and from law enforcement to balance things out.
Jez
Really thought this book would be a bit longer. I read the original article excerpt in the Guardian and it seems they could've just printed the whole piece! Ah well, still textbook Ronson stuff and certainly entertaining.
Sarah Louise Leach
more of an article than even a small book. Funny, but i wanted more for the price!Kindle kindly gave me a free excerpt from "The Psychopath Test" by the same author, but i had already read that.
Kristina Pasko
I'm not sure where this falls in the chronology of Ronson's writing, but it seemed like an early effort to me, a bit unpolished. The topic was moderately interesting.
Kevin Ireland

Well written and interesting but shockingly short. Would love to see ronson do a longer version that involves more people from the rlsh movement.
Jen
Very short, but interesting as always
Bfg1971
Fun quick read about RLSH (real life super heroes) in America. The excerpt from Psychopath at the end made me want to read more books by Jon Ronson.
Andy Micone
This is too short, most of this "book" is a preview of another unrelated book I didn't want to read. A rip off.
Gisel
Interesting to say the least. Great to know why these individuals do what they do. Really enjoyed this fun, quick read!
Meagunn
Aww yeah, Phoenix Jones. I wish Ronson would write an extended profile of these guys.
Tong Wang
Great story, but don't know what to think of these real-life superheroes though...
S.L. Pierce
Loved it. I really enjoy Jon Ronsons writing. Just wish it were a full book.
  • Smells Like Dead Elephants: Dispatches from a Rotting Empire
  • Resistance Behind Bars: The Struggles of Incarcerated Women
  • Zelda Fitzgerald: Her Voice in Paradise
  • Soccer Men: Profiles of the Rogues, Geniuses, and Neurotics Who Dominate the World's Most Popular Sport
  • Love Is a Four-Letter Word: True Stories of Breakups, Bad Relationships, and Broken Hearts
  • The Psychology of Superheroes: An Unauthorized Exploration
  • Kirby: King of Comics
  • Wrong Time Wrong Place (Quick Reads 2013)
  • The Law of Superheroes
  • Surviving Justice: America's Wrongfully Convicted and Exonerated
  • The Possessive Investment In Whiteness
  • Crazy Brave: A Memoir
  • Lizz Free Or Die
  • Underground America: Narratives of Undocumented Lives (Voice of Witness)
Jon Ronson is a writer and documentary film maker. His books, Them: Adventures With Extremists and The Men Who Stare At Goats were international bestsellers. The Men Who Stare At Goats was adapted into a major motion picture starring George Clooney, Ewan McGregor, Kevin Spacey and Jeff Bridges.

He's written the popular "Human Zoo" and "Out of the Ordinary" columns for The Guardian, where he still c...more
More about Jon Ronson...
The Psychopath Test: A Journey Through the Madness Industry Them: Adventures with Extremists The Men Who Stare at Goats Lost At Sea: The Jon Ronson Mysteries Out of the Ordinary: True Tales of Everyday Craziness