Start by marking “Bridges (Bridges, #1)” as Want to Read:
Bridges (Bridges, #1)

Read Book* *Different edition

Bridges (Bridges #1)

3.9  ·  Rating Details ·  1,982 Ratings  ·  251 Reviews
With names like Dallas and Brooklyn they could've either been best friends...or worst enemies. The war started in third grade, with a surprise punch to the face and lasted until the summer after high school when Brooklyn and Dallas are stuck working at the same store. At night. Together. It should've been a recipe for disaster. But instead of outright war, they slowly star ...more
Published July 15th 2011 by M.J. O'Shea (first published July 4th 2011)

To ask other readers questions about Bridges, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Bridges

Hainted by Jordan L. HawkThe Ghost on My Couch by L.A. GilbertIcecapade by Josh LanyonLove & Loyalty by Tere MichaelsMind Magic by Poppy Dennison
M/M Romance With (Mostly) Blue Covers
183rd out of 562 books — 95 voters
Frog by Mary CalmesBulletproof by Mary CalmesA Matter of Time, Vol. 1 by Mary CalmesPromises by Marie SextonA Matter of Time, Vol. 2 by Mary Calmes
Favorite m/m Books
109th out of 130 books — 71 voters

More lists with this book...

Exina

Dallas and Brooklyn have been enemies from first sight. But the last summer of high school, they are stuck working at the same store. At night. Together.

They agree to have a truce, but soon they discover that they get along pretty well, and actually like each other.
He was messing with the dials on his stereo. Soon, the distinct guitar style of one of my favorite alternative bands was pouring through the speakers.
“What? No Taylor Swift? Brooks and Dunn?”
Brooklyn shuddered. “Naw, man,
Ingela
Written January 16, 2014

4 Stars - youthful sweet and cute about to discover that the lad you "pulled the cap off and threw a snowball on" might be your future love

Bridges is a short novella about two young boys, both with city-names (crazy parents?), and their lovely very innocent first love. ~ Very cute with high youth-recognition without ever becoming sticky and silly.

~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~

Dallas Thomason is moving to Sugarcreek, Texas (the last place he wanted to be) when he is in third grade.
MishyJo
Jan 14, 2014 MishyJo rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This was a sweet coming of age story about two boys who have hated each other since third grade but always seem to be together due to the cruelty of alphabetical order and strange twists of fate.

For many years it seems like a curse. Then, suddenly, it becomes a blessing.
Heather K (dentist in my spare time)
I really enjoyed this nice little free story. Thanks M.J. O'Shea for this one. For a very short story, it feels pretty complete, which takes talent. Sure, it is HEAVY on the sappiness but I love a good enemies to lovers story. Combine that with a coming-of-age tale and virgins? You got me, you got me so good.
Karla

4 Fun Stars!

There is a thin line between love and hate! For Brooklyn and Dallas hate turns into mutual respect, and then love. Short, but not without with substance, it was sweet and complete! Love the play on the character names...you'll see! Cliche, but cute!

Thanks for the heads up on this one Heather!
A Girl Has No Name
Bridges is another wunderful short of the Don't read in the Closet event of the m/m romance group and I really liked this enemies-to-lovers story.

Dallas and Brooklyn hated each other at first sight and they didn't miss one single chance to have a fight since third grade. However, during their last summer of high school, the boys are forced to work at the same little store. While Dallas isn't happy about being stuck with his nemesis, he isn't about to refuse the job. Surprised by Brooklyn's effo
Trisha Harrington
This was a really great short story! It was sort of an enemies to lovers and sort of a friends to lovers. The MC's start off as enemies and then they become friends, and eventually lovers. It was nice to see the relationship develop and turn into something adorable.

Dallas and Brooklyn met in school and became enemies, they hated each other and couldn't stand to be paired together. But faith seemed to have other plans. They were always thrown together and both of them hated it. But then something
Alona
Oct 29, 2014 Alona rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to Alona by: Trisha Harrington
Sweet short enemies-to-lovers, YA story.
Thanks Trisha for a lovely recommendation!
Marte
**** 4 two-oh-eight stars ****

Beautiful young adult/coming of age story! :D

Recommended.

------------------------

A short story in the collection"Don't Read in the Closet, Volume One"from the MM Romance Group Hot Summer Event 2011.
ClickHEREfor the story online or HERE to downloadthe whole collection for your reading device.

Picture (NSFW) and prompt:
(view spoiler)
Britta ★ Nachteule ★

***Read as part of the free Don't Read in the Closet: Volume One anthology. Story #16***

Cute enemies-to-lovers/YA/first love story.

4.5 stars Recommended all the way!

So I read the sequel. Check out my review of "The Key".
Ami
Jul 11, 2011 Ami rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This one is so GOOD!! I actually love how you write the story from Dallas's point of view, so we experience what he feels, how Dallas doesn't really aware that Brooklyn's has seen him in a different light since years prior and it takes him by surprise. I LOVE IT. My favorite line is probably this ...

I was surprised. I had no idea what I was doing, other than from, well, lots of research... and by research I mean the kind where you have to erase your internet history when you’re done so your par
Nikyta *Miss Forgetful*
I thought this one was super cute. I loved that Dallas and Brooklyn kept getting stuck together even though they hated one another and then I loved that they became friends to lovers in the end. They were just too adorable. The sex scene was a bit too long for my liking and the story was a bit short but I still liked it. Hope there's more of these two to come someday.
Sara
M.J. O'Shea knows the way straight to my heart and this hit hard and it was so damn good.

What is it about young boys, sexual tension and hot Texas nights that just hit THAT button for me? Brooklyn and Dallas have been enemies since the third grade. Regardless of their feelings for one another they keep finding themselves thrown together in situations that continually end with their non-friendly hands on one another. The summer after they graduate, they get jobs, together, stocking shelves over
Arthur
This is such a nice and sweet story about two boys who have met since they were both in third grade. Since their last name begin with 'T', they were put in the same classes often. Both names are name after a location (Dallas and Brooklyn), which make them either best friends or sworn enemies. They became the latter. They were still enemies until the end of high school, when they were hired by a same store to work night shift. Slowly, they buried the hatches and became best friends. The rest of t ...more
Bev
Jan 15, 2014 Bev rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to Bev by: Trisha

Lovely little first-love story featuring Brooklyn and Dallas, former enemies turned friends and then lovers which is from a Goodreads event a couple of years ago, and recommended to me by Trisha. Loved it sweetie, the way they hated each other at first when they were at school and then growing up they decided it was better to be friends....5 stars from me and a huge grin at the end.
Fani
A nice story about friends to lovers that's surpisingly satisfying for such a short read. I planed to rate it with 4 stars, however, the last few pages were way too cloying for me.
Jess
Jul 22, 2011 Jess rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
such a beautiful story - it made me smile and sigh!

Thankyou MJ :)
Tam
Jan 17, 2013 Tam rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: m-m
This review can be found at Brief Encounters Reviews.

This was a very sweet, but not saccharine, enemies to friends to lovers story that hit just the right notes. It starts with Dallas and Brooklyn meeting in 3rd grade, where they promptly get into a fist fight and it’s downhill from then on for the duo, despite seeming to be flung together at every opportunity during their school years. Dallas isn’t even sure why he hates Brooklyn so much, they just do. It’s tradition so to speak.

The summer foll
L-D
For a short story, the author packs a lot of history and growth as well as feeling. I really enjoyed this novella a lot. Dallas and Brooklyn (yes, that's really their names but it's still 5 stars) are enemies since the day they met in third grade and had a scuffle on the playground. They remain enemies throughout high school even though their last names (both starting with the letter T) and the fact that they're both bright, ensure that they're in the same classes all through high school. I'm re ...more
Jorge Gómez
This short fiction is just... Fun. Is not a bad written story, even though, I think is too simple the love story, not the way that is written -Which I think is the best of the book, the Author really gets you interested in the Story-, however, as I said before, is too simply and it lacks of a developed range of feelings, they just Love or Hate, just as most of the XXI Century teenagers, but it does not have the passion that this generation has, Is just too sexual and not Sensual, I think is more ...more
Greg
Aug 05, 2015 Greg rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: teen, romance
I was a little surprised by how well this short story was written. Two boys who hated each other through primary and secondary school finally discover friendship and love during the summer before they go to college. Although the boys didn't acknowledge their feelings for each other until they finished school, the idea of the bullying jock harbouring a secret love for the more studious boy he tried to bully reminded me a little of the Norwegian short film, Benny's Gym (2007), although the protago ...more
Tara Spears
This is well written, well edited, and a quick easy read. The characters were pretty darn likable all in all.

I really, really wanted to love this... I loved the beginning, felt the author did a great job bringing us along through their school years together. Then WHAM they love each other. It was a bit too perfect for me. A bit too sappy for two guys who hardly spoke twenty words to each other their whole time growing up. And, no, I did not miss the tiny hint back in the sixth grade.

My other is
Vallie
Jan 22, 2014 Vallie rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: mm, short, sweet-smexy
I just love stories where we meet the characters as children! It's my absolute favorite theme to see the friends-to-lovers develop after years of friendship that started early on. And the author just nailed this one!!! So cute,so sweet,so romantic! I was right there with them, remembering what it's like to be a teenager again, to fall in love for the first time. Highly recommend!!!
Anna D.
Sep 05, 2013 Anna D. rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
What a sweet short story. For 37 pages, we got some background and even a little conflict for the MCs to get over. They were childhood enemies always forced together and in one summer after high school graduation, they were forced together again to work a part time job at a grocery store…and this time they develop a really sweet friendship. They were different enough yet also have enough in common to make their summer love believable and also how they are ending up in the same college and even d ...more
Dina
This was such a cute story! I loved Dallas, Brooklyn, and wish I could spend more time with them.
Lucy
Aug 07, 2011 Lucy rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Dallas and Brooklyn. So creative with the names, and a favorite genre of mine, childhood friends to lovers tilted in it's axis. Childhood mortal enemies, forced bynthe dreaded alphabetical order to be in constant proximity to each other. Fights and loathing are the norm, and so typical for the age. Doesn't get much better through school, but when it does start to take that turn towards hope, it's so lovely. Sometimes, alphabetical order works.
Trix
Sweet, short story of enemies becoming lovers. Nothing overly dramatic (view spoiler). Brooklyn and Dallas were cute while hating each other and they were cute when they became a couple. It was nice seeing them grow up and only in the summer before college actually get to know one another and fall in love. A nice happily ever after without too much angst, drama or hardship.
Salsera1974
Dallas and Brooklyn have hated each other since middle school, but the summer after high school graduation, they drop the drama and fall in love. This is a sweet, but not too saccharine, enemies-to-lovers, first-love story that simply made me smile. Set aside 30 minutes and read this freebie. If you like young love, you won't regret it.
A.E.
Jan 07, 2013 A.E. rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
GOOD LORD! Well if you want to read a story that is straight MUSHY-SAPPY-CAN'T-DO-NO-WRONG love story then you found it. If this story was any more SWEET, I would have diabetes from page 10 and on. How can you crame that much SAPPINESS into 30 pages. What-the-hell? This books gets my "this-type-of-story-never-happens-review"
Amy
Dec 21, 2014 Amy rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: short-stories
A short and sweet story about Dallas and Brooklyn. They've hated each other since third grade. Things change the summer after high school and they become friends. I adore reading about first loves; everything is so new and awkward. Very well written!! Loved it :)
  • Like the Taste of Summer
  • A Little Bit Country
  • You and a Billion Blue Tiles
  • Open Tackle
  • Heatstroke
  • Taken
  • Be a Bad Boy
  • I Am the Highway
  • Outfoxed (Glitter Fox, #1)
  • Wanting (Wanting, #1)
  • More Than Words
  • Cupid's Beau
  • Surf's Up
  • Just One Kiss
M.J. O'Shea has been writing romance since algebra class in sixth grade (when most of her stories starred her and Leonardo DiCaprio). When she's not writing, she loves listening to nearly all types of music, painting, reading great authors, and on those elusive sunny days in the Pacific Northwest, she loves driving on the freeway with her windows rolled down and her stereo on high.

Facebook: M.J. O
More about M.J. O'Shea...

Bridges (2 books)
  • The Key (Bridges, #2)

“cataclysmic” 1 likes
“I‘m not completely straight. I‘ve known that for years.
―Years?
―Yeah.He smiled.Sixth grade at least— when I looked over at this boy who I used to hate and realized that he had the prettiest lips I‘d ever seen and more than anything I wanted to kiss him.”
0 likes