The Dark Horde

The Dark Horde

3.61 of 5 stars 3.61  ·  rating details  ·  23 ratings  ·  17 reviews
1989, rural Victoria, Australia. Something is preying upon the township of Howqua Hills. Brian Derwent, head of the local Police Station, must simultaneously grapple with the investigation, his disintegrating personal life and unseen forces that are not of this world.

Paperback, 1st edition, 288 pages
Published March 2012 by Ignis

To ask other readers questions about The Dark Horde, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Dark Horde

Sherry Fundin
In Howqua Hills, the Dark Horde descends in a flurry of blood and guts, filling the night with terror and horror.

Sergeant Brian Derwent awoke with a killer headache and a call to respond to a murder. Happy Sunday to him.

Barney and Frank Weston were found ripped apart.The injuries could not have been done by a human.I was reading along and I thought - No. What? That can't happen.

Brian kept having visions, passing out, and getting injured during his dreams. What the Hell? Demons? Werewolves?

Danny...more
Angie ~aka Reading Machine~
This book was so not what I was expecting at all. I mean I read the blurb for the book and thought good concept I'll read that. From reading the blurb to actually reading the book became so much more than an ordinary book at all. From the first page to the last I was hooked into this story and everything that I was made to feel. At times the book could be very in your face unpredictable, page turning because you just had to know what happens next, sometimes you were left in the dark with the hor...more
Mallory Heart Reviews
Apr 03, 2012 Mallory Heart Reviews rated it 5 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: Horror, Good Writing
Recommended to Mallory Heart by: Making Connections
Another 12 Star of 5 Novel!

Well, I’ve seen “reader’s hooks,” that nebulous ability and task of an author to solidly grab readers and pull them into the tale, come and go-but seldom have I seen a reader’s hook as powerful as this one! I can’t imagine any reader “closing” the book after the first page and walking away-not even if the room was afire. This is not to mention the first chapter, which had my hair standing on edge and me jumping to tiptoe on the bed just in case the story was real-so th...more
Laura Thomas
Come Dark Horde remember, and once more be!
We are as one, as many are we,
Become one, once more be.

From the opening page to the horror driven end, this story had me riveted. I became a part of it.
Howqua Hills is under siege by something. Monster, demon, alien, being from another dimension, who knows? They have been waiting, but no more! Out of the shadows they come, the Dark Horde. Hungry for flesh, they thrill to feel our terror and revel in our pain. Able to manipulate our minds, they invade ou...more
Maryann
Summary:

Part thriller, part crime-fiction, all supernatural horror, The Dark Horde tells of the return of an ancient evil that is neither stoppable nor comprehensible.

Review:
This was definitely a horror story, it was graphic and gor...more
Justin

Honestly, I don't really even know where to begin with this book. There were a lot of strengths and a lot of weaknesses to this horror story set in rural Australia, and it's difficult for me to decide which are more important to me in writing this review. My ambivalence lends itself very easily to my 3 out of 5 star review of The Dark Horde.

Well, the lack of comprehensiveness of this story is very evident in its ability to create many different questions,...more
Rachel Tsoumbakos
Aussie Horror at its Finest!

When I first started reading The Dark Horde, I was a little concerned that the action started too early on. There was no set up, no character definition, just wham! Bam! Now you're dead! The next time I had a chance to think about characters was two days later when I put the book down. This book is action-packed from the very first sentence. I dare the reader to try and put it down before the end.

Brewin does an excellent job of creating dark imagery and suspenseful, e...more
Majanka
Book review originally published here: http://www.iheartreading.net/reviews/...

In the first few pages of The Dark Horde, there’s already enough horror and bloodshed to fill an entire episode of The Walking Dead. Barney and Frank Weston, two seemingly normal fellows, are found ripped apart. And whatever or whoever has done this to them, sergeant Brian Derwent is convinced it’s unlike anything or anyone they’ve ever come across. Roughly awokened from a nightmare-filled sleep and with a killer head...more
Laura *Little Read Riding Hood*
Let me start by saying I don't scare easily. I generally only watch scary movies, my favorite of all time is Event Horizon, if you've never seen it, you really really should. Anyway, I digress ... like I was saying I don't get scared easily. Especially when some equates gore for scary. Which this book does. So as I was reading, safe and cozy in my house, during the day, with my soon to be hubby in the other room, it didn't affect me. I seemed a little cheesy. B-movie cheesy. Maybe even drinking...more
Mark Smith
A good book! At first, I wasn't sure if I'd like a book in this genre ... it can be kind of hard to pull off. My worry was that the scary wouldn't be very scary, what with the plethora of creepy horror books out there riddled with zombies, vampires and werewolves. Even if the rest of the plot outside the terror is entertaining, it can be a let down when your bad guy isn't very bad.

Not so the case here. The Dark Horde doesn't fail to turn up the spooky and terrifying. And it's not just gore and v...more
Julie
This was an extremly fast paced story right off the bat! Although not a genre I regulary choose, I am glad I did. High action, lots of killing crasy scary creatures. I also shared this book with my nephew and he ate it up!! loved it.

Thank you very much Brewin for sending it to me and good luck with future writings, your well on your way!

Julie
Austin
Finally a horror book that is more then just creepy. This book grabs your attention in the first chapter and never lets go. There is so much more to this book then giant, black beasts that kill people.
Alexandra Hunter
The following review is based off of a Reviewer Copy I received for my Kindle.

For as long as I can remember, there has been a place in my heart for scary stories. Being the coward that I am this has caused me to spend many a night curled up in my bed under blankets with all of the lights on in my home.

So when I picked up the The Dark Horde by Brewin, I was not let down. This book managed to hit me where it hurts at every single point. Not only was it just scary it was creepy and at certain point...more
Lisa Llamrei
In 1989, in Howqua Hills, Australia, three farmers are attacked by ... something. The carnage discovered by police officers the next morning raises questions about who, or what,is stalking the residents.

The reader is dropped into the middle of the action right from the first paragraph. And it never stops. The entire book is fast-paced, heart-stopping action. The human characters are well drawn, and beautifully flawed. I didn't always like them, but I always believed them.

Where the book loses me...more
Beca
An ugly, unpleasant story with no likable characters, no real point, and no real purpose. I deleted the e book the moment I read the last word. Best skipped.
Beverly
This was an okay book. It held my interest to the very end, but I didn't like the ending. Overall tho, a entertaining read.
Christopher Gargoline
Christopher Gargoline marked it as to-read
Aug 08, 2014
Hesta Rafuse
Hesta Rafuse marked it as to-read
Aug 07, 2014
Kacey
Kacey marked it as to-read
Jun 19, 2014
Blair
Blair marked it as to-read
May 24, 2014
Jane Silhouette
Jane Silhouette marked it as to-read
May 16, 2014
Katherine
Katherine marked it as to-read
May 15, 2014
Diana
Diana marked it as to-read
May 14, 2014
Tonya Moore
Tonya Moore marked it as to-read
May 13, 2014
Kerri
Kerri marked it as to-read
May 13, 2014
Sarai
Sarai marked it as to-read
May 11, 2014
Tammy K.
Tammy K. marked it as to-read
May 02, 2014
Lynette Jackson
Lynette Jackson marked it as to-read
Mar 30, 2014
John Biasi
John Biasi marked it as to-read
Mar 10, 2014
« previous 1 3 next »
Books & Tales...: The Dark Horde 1 6 Mar 15, 2013 08:34PM
Brewin' (with or without the apostrophe) is the pseudonym of Andrew Drage. He graduated in 1998 with a first-class degree from La Trobe University, majoring in zoology, philosophy and statistics. He has worked as a Senior Research Scientist at the Insectarium of Victoria in his native Australia, publishing on ant behaviour and sampling methodologies.

His debut novel, Evermore: An Introduction, was...more
More about Brewin...
Evermore: An Introduction Infinite Universe (Gamebook Adventures, #8)