Start by marking “500 More Ways To Be A Better Writer” as Want to Read:
500 More Ways To Be A Better Writer

500 More Ways To Be A Better Writer

4.35 of 5 stars 4.35  ·  rating details  ·  490 ratings  ·  50 reviews
WARNING: Contains an unhealthy gutful of profanity. Those with heart conditions or frail demeanors should not read

* * *

“If it weren't for Chuck Wendig's advice, I'd have fallen off the writing map long ago.” -- Karina Cooper, Author of Blood of the Wicked

“Chuck Wendig hammers out writing and career advice that's always brave, profane, creative, clever, and honest. And don'
Kindle Edition, First Edition, 163 pages
Published February 17th 2012 by Terrible Minds (first published October 31st 2011)

To ask other readers questions about 500 More Ways To Be A Better Writer, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about 500 More Ways To Be A Better Writer

Melodie Ladner
Most of Mr. Wendig's writing books were culled directly from his blog, and in this one at least, it's obvious, both in the profusion of his jokes and in the repetition of some of them, you know, if you want people to come back tomorrow, you have to hook them today. On a day-to-day basis it works very well, but it felt a bit try-hard to me here, which is a cryin' shame, because dude knows his shit.

I'm a grown-ass woman, bro. You don't need the airplane game to get me to eat.

I read his THE KICK-A
Julian Pichelski
Jun 15, 2012 Julian Pichelski rated it 5 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Anyone who ever has/ever will set pen to paper.
Shelves: ebook
Chuck Wendig should be considered an inspiration to writers everywhere. I have learnt so much about the way of the penmonkey from his teachings. I found that every piece of brilliant advice he gave, also doubled as a massive confidence boost. You're amazing Chuck! While some people may not appreciate his hyperbole-licious style of writing, I found that it kept the book both interesting and re-assuring to receive writing advice from some who obviously knows how to do it well.

I'll definitely read
This is, if possible, even more impeccable than the first. There are now so many highlighted passages in the version on my Kindle the whole screen is yellow.

Chuck Wendig makes me unafraid to take risks with my prose, and pushes me away from the bland and insipid. There can be nothing better.

I haven't tried the writing exercises yet, but I will be sure to whenever I am stuck or blocked.

Long live Chuck Wendig and his inventively foul-mouthed advice.
Dave Versace
So I’ve already kind of plugged the last few collections of Wendig’s writing advice blog. I’ve recommended them all. I recommend this one too, and for all the same reasons – it’s funny, it’s insightful and it’s refreshingly crushing in its bluntness. Follow the link above to get a full list of the essay titles (each one a list of, duh, 25 things to consider about some aspect of writing, editing, publishing or dealing with the business of being a full time author). Not all of them are useful or r ...more
I read this book quite slowly because I found that I needed time to a) get over the crazy language overload you get in every single sentence and b) let the information sink in and percolate. At the beginning of the book, I was stuck on a particular scene and I was in complete avoidance, but something about Wendig's writing style really helped move me past the block.

This book is not for everyone. But I enjoyed Transmetropolitan, Vol. 1 Back on the Street by Warren Ellis so this worked for me. What I think I liked most was the balance. A lot of the advice
I loved this so much. There isn't much I can say like read this book because you can tell by the title, it appeals to a certain demographic. I have read a few books like this and this by far was the funniest. I kept laughing out loud in public and it was embarrassing. That aside, Chuck Wendig gives you all these tips of different aspects of writing but it is never YOU MUST DO THIS OMG. It is more of a here are your tips and I hope the help but if they don't cool!

It is worth a read if you want to
Alexander Fitzgerald
I really enjoyed this book, but I read it off and on over a few years. I finished the last few sections in one sitting, just so I could finally mark up the sections I needed and be done with the book, and it really got grating at that point.

Chuck Wendig's advice on how to write is second to none. I found myself shaking my head at how exact he got some emotions writers go through. His advice is a punch to the gut and well needed. He's logical. He has great ideas. Even better, I laughed out loud o
Sarah Spelbring
I have never been disappointed yet with Chuck Wendig's books. Solid advice with a dash of perverted, tasteful, humor. This one includes a series of fiction challenges and a 25 things bout Chuck. Loved it. Go read it.
The profane Wendig is back with another tome divided into twenty rough sections of twenty five headings in each. Each part has no more than ten lines. It is succinct, pithy and real. And it’s good advice.

He starts off with the plum that there is all kinds of writing advice, but what really matters is what works for you. He also suggests that reading and absorbing something that you later use from that novel you took time off writing to read, is also a kind of training. He insists that you get he
Veronica Sicoe
Chuck Wendig's incomparable voice roars through the chitter chatter of online writing advice and pops your skull open, exposing your eager little brain to 500 tips that improve your writing. Sure, you mutter, most of the advice in this book isn't new, and if you're a diligent, studious little "penmonkey" you've come across it before -- but not like this.

Covering aspects from theme, mood, exposition, plotting, characters and endings, to the problems of writing life: writer's block, excuses you ma
Sally Kilpatrick
I adore Chuck Wendig's voice, and this book is chock full of good advice presented in a no-nonsense and RATHER entertaining way. Yes, there are plenty of expletives. There's also a running joke about an orangutan named Orange Julius. Both made me laugh.

Two things bothered me. First, the book is obviously a compilation of past blog posts and makes no effort to hide the fact. The fact that it's comprised of blog posts doesn't bother me so much as the numbered lists get a little repetitive. That sa
I loved this advice book for writers - it's funny and left me feeling highly motivated. I can see myself dipping into it at different points in the future, to help focus me on editing, get over writers block or just for fun really. I didn't read the self-publishing section, purely because I have been there and done that already and don't want to do it again. One warning though - it's not for anyone easily offended.
Lindsay Eanet
3.5; rounded up. Solid, entertaining and informative, quick read--the listicle format can get a little grating but I appreciated the advice Wendig had to offer, especially the stuff about not being what he calls a "book racist" -- it's an antidote to the tired mantra from the likes of 'On Writing' that books are the only media one can and should consume in order to become a better writer.
Nov 16, 2013 Sunil rated it 3 of 5 stars
Shelves: own, 2013
If I were reviewing this book independently, I may have given it a higher rating, but since I am reading the whole "series," as it were, I was annoyed that nearly half this book is material that has been covered in previous books. Yes, the other two books did have their share of internal repetition as well, but this book contains some entire lists that have no new information, simply familiar tips with new (or sometimes even the same!) metaphors. Thus, the title is not as accurate: this book doe ...more
I adore Wendig's nonfiction. He's gritty, real, and not afraid to tell you 'suck it up, buttercup'. Not in those words. In words that are much more brutally honest. Words your best friends might not even tell you even if you're being a little whiny butt complaining penmonkey. If you're wondering anything about writing, visit Wendig's blog. Or read his nonfiction.
Chris Backley
Whenever I'm wading deep in the mud pits of writing, I always find that advice from other authors is the best way to locate a vine of guidance. I've read several of Wendig's books on the craft, and it's his combination of keen, proven wisdom and profanity, that keeps me coming back every time.
Katherine Bone
Chuck Wendig's humor strikes right where a reader/writer needs it most ~ the heart. He has a casual way of giving advice, via his top 25, that tickles the funny bone and hits gold. One of the best writing books I've read!!!
There is no fluff in this book. Lot's of cursing and imaginative language, but all in the sake of getting your blood pumping and your guts to show up, sit in front of your writing instrument, and write. And if you can't write Chuck has the best section on how to overcome 'Writer's Block'.
Kristian Thoroughgood
This is more of the same from Wendig, clever, useful, writing advice expressed with humour & profanity. Not too much overlap with the previous books, I enjoyed this more than 250 ways.
At the end there are some optional writing exercises that look interesting and I think I might have to give them a go.
Debra Daniels-zeller
I love Chuck Wendig's blog Terrible Minds and practically devoured 250 Things to Know about Writing, but this book took a little longer. Though I liked each section, I didn't think it was quite as useful at 250 Things. Also since it doesn't have a table of contents, I have to remember all the categories in these books for them to be helpful over and over again. I hate scrolling through the book wondering it a tip was on page 5 or 500. That said, I like Wendig's snarky voice and his tips--always ...more
Troy Lefman
This book, like the other 'better' books, is fun to read. Very NSFW (NSFL?) but everything makes sense. Chuck presents his ideas and writing experience in his voice and in an entertaining fashion. This book works for anyone writing for publication, whether traditional or indie/self-pub. And the price is a steal. I like how the reader can link to extra material (ie web content) via the Nook. So buy and read it already! There are 2 more after this one. All are very good.
Sherry Ramsey
Always irreverent, potty-mouthed, and absolutely down-to-earth about the writing life. If you can take the language, I highly recommend it!
This book will simultaneously empower and encourage you to be a writer and terrify you from writing ever again. There's plenty of good advice here worth considering before you write. And while you write. And after you write. I appreciate that Wendig goes beyond the act of writing itself and addresses the many other things a writer must do, such as queries, synopses, promotion, and so on. Want to be a better writer? Read this book.
I just LOVE Chuck Wendig. He is seriously funny and sometimes a bit crazy. He is not one to beat around the bush and if you cringe at strong language, better give his work a pass. But his advice on writing is brilliant. I want all my writing students to read at least one of his books on writing. (Check out his blog: This is where all the books on writing start.)
Troy Lefman
This book, like the other 'better' books, is fun to read. Very NSFW but everything makes sense. Chuck presents his ideas and writing experience in his voice and in an entertaining fashion. This book works for anyone writing for publication, whether traditional or indie/self-pub. And the price is a steal. I like how the reader can link to extra material (ie web content) via the Nook. So buy and read it already!
Chuck is just brilliant. Read everything he has ever written, then go over to his blog, and read that too. For anybody who has ever written anything, or plans on writing anything. You will be so happy you did.
Wendig sure knows how to motivate. I've been away from my book for a little over a week now (having just finished NaNoWriMo). I'm only about halfway through so I need to get back to it but had zero motivation to do so. Reading this brought that back. If you're looking for writing advice that won't cause you to dig your eyes out with a rusty spoon, pick up any of Wendig's books.
Loved it! (despite the author's strange obsession with pants)
It's very witty and no-nonsense book. Every advice is sound, the insights are great. The language is crude, but funny. I laughed a lot, and thought a lot, thank you, author!
I recommend the book to those who want to write better and who are strong enough to not faint after seeing some bad words in print.
Chuck is at it again. I owe a lot of what I've written to him. After I finished NaNo, I was only halfway through my novel and had absolutely zero motivation to continue writing after a hellacious month. I picked up this book and started reading and it was the kick in the ass I needed to return to my book. Thanks Chuck!
Julian Pichelski
There's really very little I can say about this book that I didn't already say in my review of its predecessor, so I'm just going to be lazy and link you to that. (And I bet you I'll do the same thing after I finish the third book in the series too.)
Goodreads Librari...: Edition Separating 3 34 Jun 26, 2012 02:39PM
  • 2k to 10k: Writing Faster, Writing Better, and Writing More of What You Love
  • Getting the Words Right
  • Story Engineering: Character Development, Story Concept, Scene Construction
  • Story Structure Architect: A Writer's Guide to Building Dramatic Situations and Compelling Characters
  • Outlining Your Novel: Map Your Way to Success
  • Screenwriting Tricks For Authors (and Screenwriters!)
  • Write Good or Die
  • The 90-Day Novel: Unlock the story within
  • Hooked: Write Fiction That Grabs Readers at Page One & Never Lets Them Go
  • Nail Your Novel: Why Writers Abandon Books And How You Can Draft, Fix and Finish With Confidence
  • Wired for Story: The Writer's Guide to Using Brain Science to Hook Readers from the Very First Sentence
  • How to Be a Writer: Building Your Creative Skills Through Practice and Play
  • 1,000 Creative Writing Prompts: Ideas for Blogs, Scripts, Stories and More
  • Rock Your Plot: A Simple System for Plotting Your Novel (Rock Your Writing, #1)
  • The Fire in Fiction: Passion, Purpose and Techniques to Make Your Novel Great
  • Techniques of the Selling Writer
  • The Story Book: A Writer's Guide to Story Development, Principles, Problem-solving and Marketing
Chuck Wendig is a novelist, a screenwriter, and a freelance penmonkey.
He has contributed over two million words to the roleplaying game industry, and was the developer of the popular Hunter: The Vigil game line (White Wolf Game Studios / CCP).

He, along with writing partner Lance Weiler, is a fellow of the Sundance Film Festival Screenwriter's Lab (2010). Their short film, Pandemic, will show at th
More about Chuck Wendig...
Blackbirds (Miriam Black, #1) Mockingbird (Miriam Black, #2) Aftermath (Journey to Star Wars: The Force Awakens) 250 Things You Should Know About Writing The Cormorant (Miriam Black, #3)

“Every story's trying to say something. It's trying to beam an idea, a message, into the minds of the readers. In this way, every story is an argument. It's the writer making a case.” 2 likes
“Coffee Fuck you, coffee IS TOO a virtue. Do not deny me this. Do not dare!” 1 likes