500 More Ways To Be A Better Writer

500 More Ways To Be A Better Writer

4.4 of 5 stars 4.40  ·  rating details  ·  368 ratings  ·  40 reviews
WARNING: Contains an unhealthy gutful of profanity. Those with heart conditions or frail demeanors should not read

* * *

“If it weren't for Chuck Wendig's advice, I'd have fallen off the writing map long ago.” -- Karina Cooper, Author of Blood of the Wicked

“Chuck Wendig hammers out writing and career advice that's always brave, profane, creative, clever, and honest. And don'...more
Kindle Edition, First Edition, 163 pages
Published February 17th 2012 by Terrible Minds (first published October 31st 2011)

To ask other readers questions about 500 More Ways To Be A Better Writer, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about 500 More Ways To Be A Better Writer

Julian Pichelski
Jun 15, 2012 Julian Pichelski rated it 5 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Anyone who ever has/ever will set pen to paper.
Shelves: ebook
Chuck Wendig should be considered an inspiration to writers everywhere. I have learnt so much about the way of the penmonkey from his teachings. I found that every piece of brilliant advice he gave, also doubled as a massive confidence boost. You're amazing Chuck! While some people may not appreciate his hyperbole-licious style of writing, I found that it kept the book both interesting and re-assuring to receive writing advice from some who obviously knows how to do it well.

I'll definitely read...more
Caitlin
This is, if possible, even more impeccable than the first. There are now so many highlighted passages in the version on my Kindle the whole screen is yellow.

Chuck Wendig makes me unafraid to take risks with my prose, and pushes me away from the bland and insipid. There can be nothing better.

I haven't tried the writing exercises yet, but I will be sure to whenever I am stuck or blocked.

Long live Chuck Wendig and his inventively foul-mouthed advice.
Dave Versace
So I’ve already kind of plugged the last few collections of Wendig’s writing advice blog. I’ve recommended them all. I recommend this one too, and for all the same reasons – it’s funny, it’s insightful and it’s refreshingly crushing in its bluntness. Follow the link above to get a full list of the essay titles (each one a list of, duh, 25 things to consider about some aspect of writing, editing, publishing or dealing with the business of being a full time author). Not all of them are useful or r...more
Julia
I read this book quite slowly because I found that I needed time to a) get over the crazy language overload you get in every single sentence and b) let the information sink in and percolate. At the beginning of the book, I was stuck on a particular scene and I was in complete avoidance, but something about Wendig's writing style really helped move me past the block.

This book is not for everyone. But I enjoyed Transmetropolitan, Vol. 1  Back on the Street by Warren Ellis so this worked for me. What I think I liked most was the balance. A lot of the advice...more
Emma
I loved this so much. There isn't much I can say like read this book because you can tell by the title, it appeals to a certain demographic. I have read a few books like this and this by far was the funniest. I kept laughing out loud in public and it was embarrassing. That aside, Chuck Wendig gives you all these tips of different aspects of writing but it is never YOU MUST DO THIS OMG. It is more of a here are your tips and I hope the help but if they don't cool!

It is worth a read if you want to...more
Sarah Spelbring
I have never been disappointed yet with Chuck Wendig's books. Solid advice with a dash of perverted, tasteful, humor. This one includes a series of fiction challenges and a 25 things bout Chuck. Loved it. Go read it.
Veronica Sicoe
Chuck Wendig's incomparable voice roars through the chitter chatter of online writing advice and pops your skull open, exposing your eager little brain to 500 tips that improve your writing. Sure, you mutter, most of the advice in this book isn't new, and if you're a diligent, studious little "penmonkey" you've come across it before -- but not like this.

Covering aspects from theme, mood, exposition, plotting, characters and endings, to the problems of writing life: writer's block, excuses you ma...more
Sally Kilpatrick
I adore Chuck Wendig's voice, and this book is chock full of good advice presented in a no-nonsense and RATHER entertaining way. Yes, there are plenty of expletives. There's also a running joke about an orangutan named Orange Julius. Both made me laugh.

Two things bothered me. First, the book is obviously a compilation of past blog posts and makes no effort to hide the fact. The fact that it's comprised of blog posts doesn't bother me so much as the numbered lists get a little repetitive. That sa...more
Emma
I loved this advice book for writers - it's funny and left me feeling highly motivated. I can see myself dipping into it at different points in the future, to help focus me on editing, get over writers block or just for fun really. I didn't read the self-publishing section, purely because I have been there and done that already and don't want to do it again. One warning though - it's not for anyone easily offended.
Lindsay Eanet
3.5; rounded up. Solid, entertaining and informative, quick read--the listicle format can get a little grating but I appreciated the advice Wendig had to offer, especially the stuff about not being what he calls a "book racist" -- it's an antidote to the tired mantra from the likes of 'On Writing' that books are the only media one can and should consume in order to become a better writer.
Sunil
Nov 16, 2013 Sunil rated it 3 of 5 stars
Shelves: own, 2013
If I were reviewing this book independently, I may have given it a higher rating, but since I am reading the whole "series," as it were, I was annoyed that nearly half this book is material that has been covered in previous books. Yes, the other two books did have their share of internal repetition as well, but this book contains some entire lists that have no new information, simply familiar tips with new (or sometimes even the same!) metaphors. Thus, the title is not as accurate: this book doe...more
Debra Daniels-zeller
I love Chuck Wendig's blog Terrible Minds and practically devoured 250 Things to Know about Writing, but this book took a little longer. Though I liked each section, I didn't think it was quite as useful at 250 Things. Also since it doesn't have a table of contents, I have to remember all the categories in these books for them to be helpful over and over again. I hate scrolling through the book wondering it a tip was on page 5 or 500. That said, I like Wendig's snarky voice and his tips--always...more
Troy Lefman
This book, like the other 'better' books, is fun to read. Very NSFW (NSFL?) but everything makes sense. Chuck presents his ideas and writing experience in his voice and in an entertaining fashion. This book works for anyone writing for publication, whether traditional or indie/self-pub. And the price is a steal. I like how the reader can link to extra material (ie web content) via the Nook. So buy and read it already! There are 2 more after this one. All are very good.
Sherry Ramsey
Always irreverent, potty-mouthed, and absolutely down-to-earth about the writing life. If you can take the language, I highly recommend it!
Sunil
This book will simultaneously empower and encourage you to be a writer and terrify you from writing ever again. There's plenty of good advice here worth considering before you write. And while you write. And after you write. I appreciate that Wendig goes beyond the act of writing itself and addresses the many other things a writer must do, such as queries, synopses, promotion, and so on. Want to be a better writer? Read this book.
Madri
I just LOVE Chuck Wendig. He is seriously funny and sometimes a bit crazy. He is not one to beat around the bush and if you cringe at strong language, better give his work a pass. But his advice on writing is brilliant. I want all my writing students to read at least one of his books on writing. (Check out his blog: http://terribleminds.com/ramble/blog/ This is where all the books on writing start.)
Troy Lefman
This book, like the other 'better' books, is fun to read. Very NSFW but everything makes sense. Chuck presents his ideas and writing experience in his voice and in an entertaining fashion. This book works for anyone writing for publication, whether traditional or indie/self-pub. And the price is a steal. I like how the reader can link to extra material (ie web content) via the Nook. So buy and read it already!
Edna
Chuck is just brilliant. Read everything he has ever written, then go over to his blog, http://terribleminds.com/ramble/blog/ and read that too. For anybody who has ever written anything, or plans on writing anything. You will be so happy you did.
Arden
Wendig sure knows how to motivate. I've been away from my book for a little over a week now (having just finished NaNoWriMo). I'm only about halfway through so I need to get back to it but had zero motivation to do so. Reading this brought that back. If you're looking for writing advice that won't cause you to dig your eyes out with a rusty spoon, pick up any of Wendig's books.
Taisin
Loved it! (despite the author's strange obsession with pants)
It's very witty and no-nonsense book. Every advice is sound, the insights are great. The language is crude, but funny. I laughed a lot, and thought a lot, thank you, author!
I recommend the book to those who want to write better and who are strong enough to not faint after seeing some bad words in print.
Arden
Chuck is at it again. I owe a lot of what I've written to him. After I finished NaNo, I was only halfway through my novel and had absolutely zero motivation to continue writing after a hellacious month. I picked up this book and started reading and it was the kick in the ass I needed to return to my book. Thanks Chuck!
Julian Pichelski
There's really very little I can say about this book that I didn't already say in my review of its predecessor, so I'm just going to be lazy and link you to that. (And I bet you I'll do the same thing after I finish the third book in the series too.)
Shah Wharton
I humorous yet insightful point by point take on how best to write - the good, the bad and ugly. Brilliant. Chuck made a potentially dry subject fun to digest and his 'colourful' language made it sort of easier to swallow. I'll be re-reading this - yep - it's a keeper for reference and just for kicks :)
James Keel
For some reason Chuck Wendig's writing advice just really hits home with me. I think it is just his laid back no nonsense in your face approach that just really appeals to me. While the language might offend some people I think if you read past that you will see he give's real writing advice.
James Keel
Jillianne Hamilton
I'm a big fan of Terrible Minds and Chuck's writing style in general. Funny AND helpful, what's not to love?! This book is full of wisdomosity and I will likely be going back to it when I'm brain-blocked. A quick and easy read, not preachy and very entertaining.
Darcey
500 more ways (including some writing exercises) to improve your writing and to be a better writer in general. Worth a read - fast enough to not be a terrifying slog, easily readable, and entertaining. Occasionally vulgar, but aren't we all?
August Niehaus
Once again, Mr. Wendig informs and entertains. Not for the faint of heart or anyone offended by swearing and gratuitous references to being sodomized, but for the rest of us, an amusing and enlightening read.
Patrick
Chuck Wendig is one of the funniest writers today. His NSFW humor about writing brings all the potential authors under his wings, then shows them different ways to succeed. A must read.
Mary Louise
This book will inspire you. Chock full of good advice. Think of it as a stringent but necessary berium enima for your constipated writer's ego. (He'll make you laugh outloud too.)
Goodreads Librari...: Edition Separating 3 33 Jun 26, 2012 02:39PM
  • 2k to 10k: Writing Faster, Writing Better, and Writing More of What You Love
  • Story Engineering: Character Development, Story Concept, Scene Construction
  • Write Good or Die
  • The 90-Day Novel: Unlock the story within
  • Story Structure Architect: A Writer's Guide to Building Dramatic Situations and Compelling Characters
  • The Fire in Fiction: Passion, Purpose and Techniques to Make Your Novel Great
  • Wired for Story: The Writer's Guide to Using Brain Science to Hook Readers from the Very First Sentence
  • Hooked: Write Fiction That Grabs Readers at Page One & Never Lets Them Go
  • Nail Your Novel: Why Writers Abandon Books And How You Can Draft, Fix and Finish With Confidence
  • The Book on Writing: The Ultimate Guide to Writing Well
  • Rock Your Plot: A Simple System for Plotting Your Novel (Rock Your Writing, #1)
  • Getting the Words Right
  • Outlining Your Novel: Map Your Way to Success
  • You're Not Fooling Anyone When You Take Your Laptop to a Coffee Shop: Scalzi on Writing
  • Techniques of the Selling Writer
  • Bullies, Bastards & Bitches: How to Write the Bad Guys of Fiction
  • Elements of Fiction Writing - Conflict and Suspense
Chuck Wendig is a novelist, a screenwriter, and a freelance penmonkey.
He has contributed over two million words to the roleplaying game industry, and was the developer of the popular Hunter: The Vigil game line (White Wolf Game Studios / CCP).

He, along with writing partner Lance Weiler, is a fellow of the Sundance Film Festival Screenwriter's Lab (2010). Their short film, Pandemic, will show at th...more
More about Chuck Wendig...
Blackbirds (Miriam Black, #1) Mockingbird (Miriam Black, #2) 250 Things You Should Know About Writing The Blue Blazes (Mookie Pearl, #1) The Cormorant (Miriam Black, #3)

“Coffee Fuck you, coffee IS TOO a virtue. Do not deny me this. Do not dare!” 2 likes
“Do that and the carbs will only drag you down, make you mentally foggy. Stick with protein while writing. By the way, bacon is protein. Just saying.” 1 likes