Start by marking “The Lure of Song and Magic” as Want to Read:
The Lure of Song and Magic

The Lure of Song and Magic (California Malcoms #1)

3.67 of 5 stars 3.67  ·  rating details  ·  75 ratings  ·  26 reviews
Her voice was a curse...

When Dylan "Oz" Oswin's son is kidnapped, the high-powered producer will do anything to get him back. Desperately following an anonymous tip, he seeks help from a former child singing sensation called Syrene, only to find she's vowed never to sing again. Immune to her voice but not her charm, Oz is convinced she holds the key to his son's disappeara...more
Published January 1st 2012 by SourceBooks Casablanca

To ask other readers questions about The Lure of Song and Magic, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Lure of Song and Magic

All Things Urban Fantasy
LURE OF SONG AND MAGIC gave a paranormal twist to a familiar contemporary romance setting: the glamor and egos of Hollywood. Though I was intrigued by Rice’s siren mythology, the romance side of things fell flat for me, if only because of the over-the-top personalities of our hero and heroine.

For someone who lives in fear of inadvertently hurting people with her siren’s voice, I found it pretty odd that that Pippa actively trains in martial arts so she can hurt people with her hands. If martial...more
Jen (That's What I'm Talking About)
My Rating: 4.5 stars: Loved it - enthusiastically recommend (A)

Dylan Ives is a highly successful LA producer with a heavy heart. His 4-year-old son was kidnapped a year ago, a year after his wife ran away (and subsequently died) with the boy, fearful the boy was in danger. Dylan refused to believe his son was dead, so when a he receives a mysterious text from a person called "the Librarian" that a former child star can help find his missing son, Dylan tracks her down.

Pippa James is a secluded ch...more
Judy & Marianne from Long and Short Reviews
originally posted at http://www.longandshortreviews.blogsp...

This story really took me out of my element and made me experience things I have never encountered before as a reader. I say this because I usually read erotic romance and the slow, smooth burning love you in this sensual love story was new territory. I never knew how enjoyable reading a true romance novel could be until now.

Oz does not have anything in particular that normally would attract me to a hero (I'm a big fan of super alpha...more
May Mostly Romance
เป็นหนังสือที่ยิ่งอ่านยิ่งสนุก ยิ่งน่าติดตาม ไม่ได้คาดคิดว่าจะดีได้เท่านี้ เรื่องราวของลูกหลานในยุคปัจจุบันของตระกูลมัลคอมล์ และไอเวส ซึ่งเป็นหนังสือย้อนยุคของคนแต่ง เล่มนี้เป็นเล่มแรกในชุดใหม่ ที่เรื่องราวไม่ได้จบในเล่มเดียว ปริศนาหลายอย่างในเรื่องดำเนินต่อไป

แต่แม้จะมีหลายประเด็นติดค้าง ส่วนที่เป็นเล่มนี้ก็ถูกใจเราค่ะ ชอบความแปลก ๆ ของคาแร็คเตอร์ การเล่าเรื่องซีเรียสมาก ๆ (ลูกพระเอกถูกลักพาตัวไป) ให้ไม่ออกมาโทนเศร้า ในขณะเดียวกันก็ไม่ใช่ว่า ไม่แคร์ ซึ่งเราว่าเป็นจุดที่ทำได้ยากมาก

เอกลักษณ์ของคนแ...more
Sherri

What Worked For Me:

- The Cover!! Absolutely fabulous! I was instantly attracted to this ethereal cover.
- I liked Oz’s character although he isn’t my normal male lead. I think it was his quiet confidence and the way he didn’t give up on finding his son even though everyone thought he was dead.
- The mysterious Librarian – I need to know who he/she is and how he/she gets their information and what his/her intent is! I loved the mystery behind this character.
- Oz’s hunky, computer geek b...more
Sandy M
I’ve not read many of Patricia Rice’s books, but the few I have read, I’ve totally loved. Her voice is what first draws me into a story. As mysterious as the characters’ backgrounds are or the direction the storyline takes a reader, there’s a whimsical tone to her storytelling that gives the entire book an extra layer for a terrific reading experience.

Dylan “Oz” Oswin has been getting mysterious texts from someone calling themselves The Librarian. Those messages have led him to Phillipa Seraphin...more
Sharon Redfern
Dylan “Oz” Oswin is a man with a mission. He is tracking down former child singing sensation Syrene, now known as Pippa James. Oz’s son Donal disappeared over a year ago and Oz has been getting cryptic messages from someone called the Librarian pointing him in Pippa’s direction. Reclusive Pippa is now a successful children’s author and has no use for Oz when she first meets him. She is convinced her unique vocal talents are responsible for the death of her first husband. Her fears make it imposs...more
Tracy
~* 4.5 Stars *~
A Little Paranormal and A Lot Lovely

Oz may look like the quintessential California surfer boy, but Dylan "Oz" Oswin is a high-powered LA producer with a no holds barred attitude and a grim determination to do whatever it takes to get his son back. Even if that means throwing good sense to the wind and following the breadcrumbs of cryptic text messages sent to him by a mysterious third party as they lead him straight to a former child singing sensation. One who had a huge, destruct...more
Redheads Review it Better
Dylan is desperate to find his son. So desperate that he is blindly following the hints from someone called The Librarian who leads him to the lost teen singer Syrene. All hints say that she is the one who will lead him to his son but how can he possibly put all his faith and hope into what this anonymous person tells him?

Pippa, artist formally know as Syrene, has found peace writing children's books in her little part of the world but it is quickly disrupted when Dylan comes waltzing into the d...more
Mikaela
This have been on my wishlist for a long time, but I never got around to buy it until now. And I am glad I read it. This is Patricia Rice at her best.

The book hooked me from the start. The California setting felt believable, and I liked how the citizens of El Paso supported Pippa. I liked how they were depending on farmers and tourists, and how it made their economy vulnerable.

And.. Into this Oz storms. I liked Oz, and how he was prepared to do anything to find his son. It would have been easy f...more
Morwa Pal
Dylan "Oz" Oswin is a successful television producer who is led via a series of odd messages to El Padre, CA in the search for his missing son. In the desert town, he finds former tween singing star Syrene living a reclusive life as children's book author Pippa James. Convinced that Pippa is key to finding his son, Oz persuades her to let him produce a television show featuring her books, which serves to keep him close to her and whatever secrets she might have.

Pippa is convinced her voice is ev...more
~Leslie~
3.5 stars I enjoyed this book but it was kind of strange. There were some moments that were a little hard to follow and the story line was sometimes confusing. But overall enjoyable. I've only read historicals written by Patricia Rice, but she handled a contemporary nicely. Dylan Oswin (Oz) is a Hollywood producer who is looking for his son, who was kidnapped a year ago by the Nanny. He's been getting mysterious messages concerning a singer named Syrene and he is determined to find her. Once he...more
Book Chatter-Cath
I had not previously read anything by this author and so had no expectations, and only in writing this review did I realise that this is a contemporary and present day continuation of the author's historical Malcolm and Ives characters.

That being said there really isn't a lot to complain about.
The writing is good, the characters are believable, if a little 'Hollywood unrealistic' and there's enough mystery and shady back story to keep a new reader like myself interested.

Sadly, I just didn't con...more
Jess Candela
4.5

I've recently been struggling to find books that hold my attention long enough to finish them, so I may be rating this higher than I would have otherwise. But it's so exciting to find a book that actually holds my attention and keeps me reading throughout. Not only that, I woke up thinking about it, eager to read the next in the series.

I liked that Pippa was a strong woman who'd found ways to take care of herself, and that Oz understood and respected that. I'd read more m/f books if I found m...more
Gail
Good extension of Rice's Malcolm-Ives magic series into the present day.
Linda Smatzny
This is a romance with a little magic woven into the story. The main female character,Syrene or Pippa, has a voice that causes reactions in her listeners. The main male character, Dylan "Oz" Oswin, is a Hollywood produce used to getting what he wants. Dylan's son has been kidnapped and he is lead to Pippa who according to the Librarian will be able to get his son back. Nothing is too unbelievable just stretches the mind.
Ryan
Based on the description this title was not what I thought it would be. Former child singing star Syrene has a sirens voice that she has been afraid of for years. But Oz needs her help to get back his kidnapped son. He will do what ever it takes to get her help. Once you get into the story it flows and moves well, but I just did not care for it that much.
Aparna
Stephanie Williams
Wow if there is a second book I want to read it... The book started off slow and a lil weird but it picked up n ended great. I wish they told you more about the sons kidnapping n the many but it was all good....
Krista Mercer
A return to the magical world of Ives men and Malcolm women. I adored the historical series, so was definitely interested to see how the author would move things into the 21st century. This was a fun, fast read.
Bob
I would have given it a 4 star rating if Dylan wasn't such jerk. Sorry, but any guy who forced his way into my home would have been out of there so fast, one way or another.
Lady Lioness
I'm not going to write a full-on review at the moment, but crap, that was good. A must read for all Malcolm and Ives fans who don't mind the contemporary setting.
Julia
I really didn't like how explosive the relationship was between the H/H. Over all well written, but that was a turn off.
Jessie Potts
Review will be up on USA Today's HEA Blog later!

Bungluna
Overbearing hero and out-of-control heroine.
Janga
4.5/5

Review coming in December.
Jessica
Jessica marked it as to-read
Sep 30, 2014
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 next »
With several million books in print and New York Times and USA Today's bestseller lists under her belt, former CPA Patricia Rice writes emotionally-charged contemporary and historical romances which have won numerous awards, including the RT Book Reviews Reviewers Choice and Career Achievement Awards.

Her books have also been honored as Romance Writers of America RITA® finalists in the historical,...more
More about Patricia Rice...
The Wicked Wyckerly (Rebellious Sons, #1) Merely Magic (Magic, #1) Much Ado About Magic Must Be Magic (Magic, #2) The Trouble with Magic (Magic, #3)