Start by marking “Firecracker” as Want to Read:
Firecracker

Firecracker

3.76  ·  Rating Details  ·  276 Ratings  ·  48 Reviews
A team of eccentric psychics who assist local authorities with difficult cases has reluctantly hired Aideen Cassidy, a timid pyrokinetic who has managed to accidentally burn to rubble every building she’s ever worked in. “It takes some real power and talent to melt a slushy machine.” Now, after months of scraping by on the last of her savings and spending every day terrifi ...more
Published February 18th 2012 (first published 2012)

To ask other readers questions about Firecracker, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Firecracker

Jennifer (Bad Bird Reads)
From: http://readingandwritingurbanfantasy....

The Good
A Good Direction...
I started this book not knowing really what to expect. I was pleasantly surprised to find great characterization, an interesting story, and a spunky heroine. I really like the direction this book went because it both satisfied me and raised some questions I hope will be answered in a second book.

On Fire...
Aideen Cassidy, or Cass, has an awesome power that she unfortunately hasn't quite learned to control. That's wh
brook
Jan 18, 2014 brook rated it liked it
You can tell that Mr. Verhey reads comic books. There is absolutely nothing wrong with that. You can tell that he puts a bit of himself into the protagonist, and what he wants to be, or qualities he admires, into other characters. That is great, too, and a good writer should do that. This book is a very "visual" book, meaning the descriptions are of what the characters see and encounter, as well as physical descriptions of the characters themselves, down to the outfits they pick out for their da ...more
R. Scott VanKirk
Apr 23, 2012 R. Scott VanKirk rated it really liked it
Review of Firecracker by Charles R. Verhey
4 stars out of 5

Story:
Firecracker is an urban fantasy which centers on the life of Aideen Cassidy. She is a “Zoë Blood”, a psychic born with special talents caused by the cure to the “88 Virus” plague that killed thousands of people around the world. That cure was the Zoë Vaccine. The vaccine has created a few thousand of these psychics.

Aideen has had a tough life. She is a thin, chain-smoking, vermillion eyed, red-headed young woman, and she is extreme
Melissa
May 23, 2015 Melissa rated it liked it
2. FIRECRACKER
In Firecracker, survivors of a deadly virus developed psychic talents because of the Zoe vaccine. Aideen Cassidy is among those that developed a "higher form of cranial activity", and her talent is, you guessed it, pyrokinesis. Only, this talent seem more like a curse because she can't control it and she keeps on causing fire accidents in her workplace. She gets such a reputation in Metro Detroit that nobody wants to hire her anymore. Down and broke, she is determined to prove her
Sasha
A completely awesome, gripping, kick-ass book. The prose was witty and intelligent and the plot convoluted but understandable (for the most part). I thoroughly enjoyed it and I'm looking forward to more secrets being revealed in the next instalment.
Jaime Jeffrey
Apr 05, 2014 Jaime Jeffrey rated it it was ok
This book was just okay. Nothin to jump up and down about. It wasn't really original and in parts of the book, I found myself thinkin about Firestarter by. Stephen King. The author did an excellent job w/ how Psy's got to be extra but it wasn't a book that grabbed me.

So we've got this sad, 20 somethin girl, barely makin it in life. She joins up w/ PsyTeam who, I'm still not sure what they did other than fight this 1 particular creature, which ends up being 6 of the same creature.

We got a cute
Vidya-BooksAreMagic
When is the next book in the series coming out? Please please tell me..

Cass is a pyrokinetic..her emotions has lead to some explosions around her. Due to this 'gift', she was cast away from society. With no friends, no proper place, no job and unpaid bills and rent, Cass desperately tries to get the job in an organization. After some initial problems, Li Hung, her interviewer, employs her. Little did she know the dangers of her job.

Li and his company call themselves as PsychTeam, as they are all
Carri
Apr 25, 2012 Carri rated it really liked it
I picked this book up on Amazon for a cheap price for my Kindle. I did not have high hopes, but ended up enjoying the story line and really liking the characters portrayals.

The book is about Cass who is a pyrokinetic. A pyrokinetic who cannot control her gift. Out of work and down on luck because of previous fire "mishaps" in her life she just needs a break. She is chosen by a group having psychic powers as their newest recruit. She does not understand what she is getting into assuming the grou
Stephanie Wolf
Apr 29, 2012 Stephanie Wolf rated it it was amazing
5 star, edge of your seat, page turning thriller!

When Aideen Cassidy filled out an application for a job with PsychTeam, she didn’t know what she was in for. All she wanted was a job so she could pay her rent and eat. She had been fired from other jobs too often. Her special talent was not helping. Being able to start fires at random was not any benefit to any job.

Agent Li nicknamed her Firecracker, which seemed appropriate, between her fire igniting ability and her looks-red hair and red eyes,
Lara
Jan 27, 2013 Lara rated it really liked it
This was a fast-paced scifi book that tells of a time (future? alternate present?) following a plague that led to a vaccine creating some people with psychic powers. Enter our heroine, Cass. She is a fire-starter down on her luck.A good-natured young woman who lacks control of her emotions and her talent. She finally gets an interview for a job for those with psychic talents. Little does she know what the job is really about, or what is happening in the world that leads to her being hired.

This b
Rach3975
Jul 19, 2012 Rach3975 rated it really liked it
Shelves: own-it-kindle
A great debut book! Cass is a pyrokinetic who doesn't have control of her powers (or her emotions) and has a habit of accidentally burning down her workplaces when she gets angry. When the book opens she's about a day away from homelessness and making one last attempt to find a job with a team of psychic sleuths. She's hired, but it quickly becomes apparent that there is a lot more than she realized occurring in the psychic world.

Charles Verhey created realistic, sympathetic characters and a un
Ana
Nov 05, 2012 Ana rated it really liked it
Shiran
Apr 22, 2012 Shiran rated it liked it
Shelves: fantasy, magic
3.5 Stars

Firecracker is a fantasy story that revolves around a young girl named Aideen Cassidy (aka Cass). She is a pyrokinetic psychic who is a freak amongst freaks. Cass is desperately looking for a job and when she walks into the offices of PsychTeam hoping she will finally get one, she has no idea what she’s getting herself into.

This book was very interesting, I loved the constant reference to Chinese culture and how Verhey used it to make the story all that more interesting. I’m quite used
Diane
Apr 16, 2012 Diane rated it really liked it
Love the Cover graphics!
Very Good!! Cass has a gift she can not control, is unpredictable & some people feel she is too dangerous....
Firecracker by author Charles R. Verhey opens with the main character, Aideen Cassidy, (prefers to be called Cass) sitting in a lobby waiting for a job interview. She is desperate for a job and feels this is her last chance, especially since she has applied to this company nine times! She has been fired from her previous jobs and she needs money to pay her rent
Jeffrey Poole
May 08, 2012 Jeffrey Poole rated it it was amazing
Just what every secret agency needs: a trigger happy fire starter!

Poor Cass is broke, down on her luck, and since most people don't want to hire someone who can burn down your place of business without really trying, she was unemployed. As a last resort, she tries for a job at a little known agency known for hiring "special" people like her.

Successfully landing a job at PsychTeam, she struggles to fit in with a misfit team of people with gifts as unique as hers, all while trying to help stop an
Scott
Apr 17, 2012 Scott rated it it was amazing
Shelves: blog-reviews
The story of Firecracker follows Cas, a pyrokinetic with a very tenuous control of her powers. She starts her adventure unemployed, running out of money, and praying that her next job interview goes well so she can turn it all around.

Her last hope for a job is with PsychTeam, a group of psychics that consulate with authorities to help find missing people and solve other crimes. When she arrives for her interview she meets Li, a mysterious guy who really doesn't seem to like her. It takes the in
Wyrdness
Oct 28, 2014 Wyrdness rated it really liked it
Shelves: urban-fantasy
I'm rather embarrassed to admit that I put off reading this for months purely because I thought the cover looked rubbish and the blurb, combined with the erroneous "young adult" tag some people have left, made it sound like a shallow cringefest probably involving a beautiful mary sue who refuses to believe how awesome she is.

Firecracker is nothing like that.

I really liked the character of Cass. She's not perfect, in fact she's a bit of a screw-up, but the way she wears her heart on her sleeve an
Kira
Mar 20, 2013 Kira rated it it was amazing
Aideen “Cass” Cassidy is a pyrokinetic who can’t hold a job. As a last ditch effort at finding a way to pay rent, Cass tries to get a job with PsychTeam, a team of eccentric psychics who solve cases the police can’t solve. Shortly after starting, Cass starts dreaming about a young girl who needs her help and a weird shadow starts coming after her and her PsychTeam mentor, Li Hung, wanting them dead. If the shadow succeeds, many will die and the world could very well end. Can Cass and Li save the ...more
Laura of Lurking
Sep 08, 2013 Laura of Lurking rated it it was amazing
A fantastic novel, I thought this was a very fresh take on psychics, paranormal abilities in our world and how it came to be. The characters felt alive, the fact that they could all make mistakes and were not infallible was a nice change. The plot was complex and felt almost like a who dunnit, you knew Cass, the protagonist, wasn't getting the whole story from anyone and were constantly trying to work out the events before they unfolded. The plot, however, is not a mystery so much as a human sto ...more
Monica
Apr 23, 2016 Monica rated it really liked it
Shelves: kindle-free
Aideeen Cassidy joins the psychteam, but her talent of pyrokinetics is a bit much for most people. She is training under Li and has a semi love/hate relationship. She doesn't have much control over her power but is in desperate need of money. The team needs her because evil has come back and she might be the link to help destroy it.
Lexie
Jul 18, 2013 Lexie rated it really liked it

I enjoyed this book, it was different than most paranormal books I've read. Just enough character development to get you hooked and hope that a sequel is coming. I want to see what happens to all the characters, especially Cass. Verhey drew me in with all of the mysteries and intrigue. I'm almost always able to anticipate the ending of a book; and while I picked up several clues I was still in for a surprise.

I will definitely be watching for any new books from this author. I think the character
Dawn Wood
Dec 15, 2013 Dawn Wood rated it it was amazing
I really enjoyed this story. The main character Cas is so scared of herself that she just can't realise her potential. To make matters worse Li, who Cas has a typical crush on, seems to be with one hand inviting Cas in, and on the other trying to slam door in her face. The mystery of Li's past explaining his unfathomable behaviour is held in suspense throughout the book. The emotional damage to the characters involved makes Firecracker a good read. The side characters are just as interesting, if ...more
Konstance Eby
Nov 02, 2014 Konstance Eby rated it it was amazing
Loved it

Loved the fast pace and intriguing suspense of who was who and what was gonna happen next would love to read the next book
Rajeshwari
May 25, 2015 Rajeshwari rated it really liked it
the books is awesome!!!!!!!!
Maria
Feb 27, 2015 Maria rated it liked it
Good read. Kept me interested. At times was a little long.
David
Aug 24, 2013 David rated it really liked it
I enjoyed this. The characterisation is very good as is the plot. It's about psychics with various abilities mixed in with humanity in something akin to the present day. It works well and is a very good read. Cas is the main character and she is definitely flawed, but seems to bounce back and slowly builds into a believable heroine. Lots of Dark Secrets and a few interesting side plots that are clearly building into the next edition.
Jul 18, 2012 Jennifer rated it it was amazing
I really loved this book. The concept was great, the world building was smooth, the characters interesting and well-developed. I could easily see this as a TV series, but I like it just fine as a book. While the book certainly leaves plenty for a sequel, it is complete in itself. Still, I hope there are more; I will gladly pay to read them, and I don't pay for books often.
Heather
Feb 11, 2016 Heather rated it really liked it
This is a good paranormal/sci-fi story with humor, suspense, and plenty of scary parts. Firecracker is well written with good character development. Aideen "Cass" Cassidy, while slightly immature and quite flighty but still likeable, is the heroine of this book. There are still so many questions and the epilogue makes me hope that there will be a sequel someday.
A Book Junky's Obsession
Oct 19, 2013 A Book Junky's Obsession rated it it was amazing
WOW!! This story is awesome! It grabbed me from the get go and made me not want to put it down!! The characters are very developed and the storyline has a great balance of funny, suspense, and action with a ton of mystery! I absolutely can not wait for the next book to come out and I hope it is soon! A Book Junky's Obsession Blog ~ http://wp.me/p31luD-8P
Karie
Nov 16, 2012 Karie rated it liked it
This was a pretty good book. A little vague in spots--I know that it's more suspenseful to save the big reveal of WHY everything happened at the end, but you can let a LITTLE information drop!--but it was intriguing enough that I stuck with it and I'm curious to see if there will be a sequel. Some language nabbed it the "mature themes" tag.
Indie Book Club: Surviving A Book Signing 24 43 Jan 31, 2013 10:53AM
Indie Book Club: Firecracker: The AUDIOBOOK 6 27 Oct 03, 2012 10:08AM
Indie Book Club: Firecracker: City on Fire 8 17 Jul 31, 2012 02:54PM
Indie Book Club: How Much Would You Change 10 13 May 30, 2012 05:39PM
  • Demon Hunter and Baby (Aisling McKay, #1)
  • Dream Walker (Paperback)
  • Crescent Bound (Crescent Bound, #1)
  • The Prodigal's Foole
  • The End of the World
  • Between the Devil and the Deep Blue Sea (Niki Slobodian, #1)
  • Bad Radio (Emergent Earth, #1)
  • Shadow Moon (Unbidden Magic, #4)
  • Dragon Badge
  • First Destroy All  Giant Monsters (The World Wide Witches Research Association, #1)
  • Chocolate Aftertaste
  • Shadow on the Wall (The SandStorm Chronicles, #1)
  • Undetectable (Great Minds Thriller, #2)
  • The Book Waitress (The Book Waitress, #1)
  • Flesh and Feathers (The Flesh Series #1)
  • Immortal Coil (Dragon Spirit, #1)
  • The Unseen
  • The Day of First Sun (Annie Loves Cham, #1)
I am a storyteller, in the classic sense of the word. This is best represented in my love of tabletop role-playing games, which are nothing more than an excuse for me to invent new characters, new stories, and new adventures every week. My friends can provide me with some incredible inspiration through their portrayals of unique characters in my made-up worlds.

I am a fan of the works of Dean Koont
More about Charles R. Verhey...