Start by marking “The Call of The Wild” as Want to Read:
The Call of The Wild

Read Book* *Different edition

The Call of The Wild

3.81  ·  Rating Details ·  228,526 Ratings  ·  5,922 Reviews
Life is good for Buck in Santa Clara Valley, where he spends his days eating and sleeping in the golden sunshine. But one day a treacherous act of betrayal leads to his kidnap, and he is forced into a life of toil and danger. Dragged away to be a sledge dog in the harsh and freezing cold Yukon, Buck must fight for his survival. Can he rise above his enemies and become the ...more
Published October 29th 2010 by Penguin UK (first published August 1903)

To ask other readers questions about The Call of The Wild, please sign up.

Michelle I think this book is great for all ages, although the language and style are older, so it could be difficult for a child to understand and get into…moreI think this book is great for all ages, although the language and style are older, so it could be difficult for a child to understand and get into without some guidance. Children will understand it as a grand adventure story told through the eyes of a dog. Adults will see the deeper themes about society, human nature and justice.

There is quite a bit of violence in the book (dog fights, dog deaths, animal abuse), so that is something to consider if giving it to a child to read, as well. (less)
Bodhi It is a short novel, a novella. Some editions have only 100 pages! It has seven (VII) separately named parts or "chapters".
Anne of Green Gables by L.M. MontgomeryThe Secret Garden by Frances Hodgson BurnettPeter Pan by J.M. BarrieThe Wizard of Oz by L. Frank BaumMatilda by Roald Dahl
Puffin Clothbound Classics
12th out of 18 books — 31 voters
The Fault in Our Stars by John GreenMe Before You by Jojo MoyesHopeless by Colleen HooverThe Book Thief by Markus ZusakHarry Potter and the Deathly Hallows by J.K. Rowling
Causes of Ugly Crying
304th out of 1,108 books — 3,194 voters

More lists with this book...

Please be aware that, while the following review contains a number of adorable animals pics, young Ricky Schroder, who starred in the movie version of the novel, will NOT appear...I feared that would raise the sugar content of this report to diabetically dangerous levels.

Awwwwwww.....the classic “coming of age” story, with the nifty twister of having the main character be a pawky puppy going on doggiehood. I really licked it liked it, so two paws up there.

BTW, I'm not going to
Mar 29, 2008 brian rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
i am a dog obsessive. i'm nuts. dogs are my moby dick. they're my opera-house in the jungle. if i had a genie in a bottle, i'd wish away all human life (including my own) so dogs could take over the world. wait. that'd be wish number two. number one would be that i had an olympic sized swimming pool filled with dogs and i could do a few laps. then i'd erase humanity. seriously. my dog is the coolest guy i've ever met, my best friend, and love of my life. if it sounds weird: piss off. i don't wan ...more
Ben Winch
Jan 07, 2013 Ben Winch rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: american, anglo, 5-stars
I defy anyone - man, woman or child - not to like The Call of the Wild. It's the most exciting adventure, the most moving love story, the deepest meditation on a creature and its place in nature. If you aren't cheering for Buck the dog by the end of this you're either hard-hearted or a cat-lover.
Lynne King
“Love, genuine passionate love, was his for the first time. This he had never experienced at Judge Miller’s down in the sun-kissed Santa Clara Valley. With the Judge’s sons, hunting and tramping, it had been a working partnership; with the Judge’s grandsons, a sort of pompous guardianship; and with the Judge himself, a stately and dignified friendship. But love that was feverish and burning, that was adoration, that was madness, it had taken John Thornton to arouse.”

In reading this book, I had
The Call of the Wild is the classic dog novella, the book to check out if you want to know how dogs were portrayed in classic literature. Nobody could deny Jack London's reputation in his genre, and thousands of readers seem to love his dog stories. He was certainly a good author, as it is almost impossible to think of any other author who might have been able to paint such a dark, realistic and captivating picture of the Alaskan landscape, of nature's rudeness and the frameworks of the laws of ...more
Apr 12, 2008 Scoobs rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to Scoobs by: Juliet Echo Whisky
Nov 15, 2015 Apatt rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Novels narrated from a dog’s point of view are rarities. I distinctly remember reading two, Fluke by the late great James Herbert, and Cujo by Stephen King (only partly from the dog’s POV). If the author’s talent is up to the task, it is quite a nice change in perspective (though I am sure you wouldn't want to read fiction from a canine perspective all the time unless you are a dog, even actual dogs don't want to do that, I have asked a few).

Set in the Yukon during the 1890s Klondike Gold Rush,
First off I should say that London is a great writer. This is the first book I've read of his. His description of the Alaskan terrain is incredible. I have never been to Alaska but when I read this book I could picture it in my head very clearly.

However, that does not take away what I think of the story itself. It wasn't bad. It was interesting, but I could not seem to grasp exactly what London's point was. Was it animal cruelty? Was it the wild should be kept wild? Or is there some hidden soci
Jason Koivu
Jun 27, 2016 Jason Koivu rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fiction
The Call of the Wild, that manly man's outdoors adventure tale! Oh how I loved this story as a young teen. During New England winters I would even imagine braving the Alaskan cold, just me and my dog. My dog was a lab-spaniel mix with stumpy legs and a donut-gut from begging during coffee-breaks at my granddad's car repair shop down the road. She wasn't about to be pulling sledges through snowdrifts. And I was no more athletic. In fact, the two of us together looked something like this...

Jan 09, 2016 Jennifer rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
“He was beaten (he knew that); but he was not broken. He saw, once for all, that he stood no chance against a man with a club. He had learned the lesson, and in all his after life he never forgot it. That club was a revelation. It was his introduction to the reign of primitive law, and he met the introduction halfway. The facts of life took on a fiercer aspect; and while he faced that aspect uncowed, he faced it with all the latent cunning of his nature aroused.” Jack London, The Call of the Wil ...more
Mark Lawrence
Apr 29, 2016 Mark Lawrence rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I remembered discovering either Call of the Wild or Whitefang when I was a boy and really liking it, so on finding this on our shelves I read it to Celyn (12 but too disabled to read).

I found myself translating on the hoof as the book was written in 1903 and much of the language is quite Dickensian. Celyn's vocabulary, whilst largely unknown to me, must be derived from books and conversations, and neither of those would have supplied her with many of the words in Call of the Wild.

I found myself
O meu primeiro livro de Jack London, e não podia ter corrido melhor. Caí de chapa em plena natureza selvagem; como se tivesse atravessado em correria pradarias ao calor do sol, como se tivesse sido eu a palmilhar milhas com um trenó às costas levando com a neve e a chuva nas trombas, perdido o fôlego ao cair num rio de águas geladas, remoinhos, rápidos e rochas pontiagudas. Doeu-me tudo!
Doeu-me ainda mais a maldade humana, a arrogância do homem capaz de escravizar e maltratar animais, e emocione
Aug 25, 2016 Connor rated it really liked it
Shelves: classics
This is definitely not what I was expecting, but it was so good. Definitely not the happiest of books, but it's really well written, and it's exactly how I picture my father's dog reacting to those situations.
A poignant and triumphant tale of a great creature in the wild. He feels the bitterness and savagery of men and his pack, there has been a dividing line in his relations with humans by no fault but their own due to their constant usage of this canine Buck in work, in pulling in the snow, they have not shown any kindness, but there is hope he will soon be blessed with some.
One man shows a kindness that helps Buck, who has had a life of toil and enduring of hardships, its a warming to the heart to
Andrei Tamaş
May 30, 2016 Andrei Tamaş rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
"Chemarea străbunilor" este unul dintre romanele la care, citindu-l, adolescent precoce fiind, am plâns. Pe lângă faptul că are un puternic impact asupra imaginaţiei, purtându-l pe cititor pe tărâmuri ascunse chiar şi literaturii, are o idee filosofică ezoterică: Buck, "personajul" principal al cărţii, reprezintă tipologia umană, care simte chemarea către rădăcinile sale, către originile sale... Aşa şi omul: este condamnat mereu să se întoarcă la originile sale, însă înainte de a se întoarce la ...more
Loved this story!!! (Although, not thinking for young kids!!)

Buck (the dog) was an awesome narrator and the journey of his life from beloved pet to back to the wild was an exciting one...

Jack London was able to evoke the whole range of emotions with this story.... sad, scared, excited, inspired... WOW!!!

I am an animal lover and some of the more violent parts were a little bit too realistic for me. Given that, I think that they were appropriate to the description of the life of a sled-dog in Alas
For a children's novella this book sure packs in a huge number of ideas.

The story centres around Buck, an enormous St Bernard cross Scotch Shepherd, who is stolen from his comfortable home in Santa Clara Valley and forced to become a working dog in the Alaskan wild. The book can be enjoyed as a tale of self- discovery, endurance and survival. Certainly the first time I read the novel as a child I read it this way. However, it also has significant philosophical underpinnings, which strengthen the
Ioannis Anastasiadis
..ο Τζακ Λοντον διαμόρφωσε εν πολλοίς το προσωπικό του συγγραφικό στίγμα του μέσα από πολυάριθμα γεγονοτα της περιπετειώδης του ζωής, τις πολυποίκιλες νόμιμες και μη επαγγελματικές τους δραστηριότητες σε όλα τα μήκη και τα πλάτη του κόσμου αλλά και την πνευματική του αναζήτηση κ σπουδή στα έργα φιλοσοφων οπως των Νιτσε, Μαρξ, Καρλ Γιουνγκ κ Δαρβινου ..ανήσυχος κ τολμηρος από την φύση του κατέφυγε στα 21 του χρόνια στον Παγωμένο Βορρά κ στο θρυλικό Κλόνταϊκ κ επιδόθηκε όπως χιλιάδες άλλοι σύγκαιρ ...more
Oct 21, 2014 Jim rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Wrong edition, but after going through 10 pages of different editions with no end in sight, I got tired. Mine is by Random House in 2009 & read by Jeff Daniels (the star of Newsroom on HBO). Daniels' reading of this story is FANTASTIC.

I let far too many years go by between reads of this story. London paints a wonderfully brutal picture of the Klondike gold rush as seen in relation to Buck. He doesn't anthropomorphize terribly, but I found the hereditary memories of the primitive man a bit mu
Nov 26, 2015 Chy rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Invalid reasons for not reading this:

1.) Hundred-year-old-books are written in an inaccessible style.
---The Call of the Wild has a very accessible style, with beautiful prose and imagery---beautiful prose and imagery that's light and very accessible.

2.) I don't like dog stories.
---This is a Buck story. Sure, he's a dog, but this isn't a dog story. It's Buck's story. And he's a complex, sympathetic character. He just happens to be a dog.

3.) What do I care about the Klondike gold rush?
---Don't mat
WOW! I absolutely love this book and the audiobook is even better.

*Full Review To Come*
What better way to greet the autumn than with a classic of such brilliance? The greek edition I borrowed from the library also includes a few of London's short stories, although this rating concerns The Call of the Wild alone.

Through Buck's story, London explores some of man's biggest issues. I think one could say that any one of us could relate to the famous dog as he finds himself from the comfort of a Southern home to the wilderness of the North and has to come to terms not only with his tru
Jeannette Nikolova
Read on the WondrousBooks blog.

I read this book as a sort of a buddy-read and to be honest, that was the only reason I decided to read it at all. I'm going to be fair and admit that I knew I wasn't going to like it. I've never been a fan of books or movies about animals. I don't seem to be able to feel any emotional connection with them. I guess that applies to all things non-human.

I could not really make myself care for this kidnapped dog. I found the world it lived in completely revolting -
Greg Zink
I found The Call of the Wild to be a pretty enjoyable quick read, though I didn't really find a lot of deeper significance to it. It is a straightforward tale of a dog who gradually returns to a wilder state after being forced from a content life in the civilized world. Along the way there are adventures and scrapes with various humans and animals which make the story interesting, as is the transformation of the main character.

This book is told from the point of view of the dog, Buck. Having ani
Moses Kilolo
Oct 06, 2013 Moses Kilolo rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Bucks story is a beautiful, multilayered tale that shows the basic plot of the journey towards the call of destiny. There is what we are all meant to be, and if we but hear the call, then our duty is but to obey.

Like happened to Buck, the dog, there is ever a process, ranging from our familiar comforts to our deepest defeats, to our highest achievements – all of which we must transcended in our journey to being free and self accomplished.

Though Buck was comfortable in the Judge’s backyard, pla
Feb 01, 2008 Tess rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Apr 22, 2014 Carol rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Jack London's 1903 classic was a very tough read for me as it is pretty much non-stop animal cruelty that is often taken to the extreme, but, I so loved Buck, his unbreakable spirit, ability to adapt and need to please.

A worthwhile book that I would still recommend.

Mustafa Şahin
Bu kitabın özeti 'kendini gerçekleştirmek' diyebiliriz aslında. İnsanın doğası gereği kendini gerçekleştirebilmek için çeşitli badireler atlatması ve ders çıkarması lazım malumumuz olduğu üzere. Söz konusu bir köpek, Buck olunca da işler pek değişmiyor haliyle.

Güzel kitap Vahşetin Çağrısı. İyi bir kitap olması bir yana, 'güzel' oluşu önemli; çünkü değindiği konu mühim. Okumak lazım.
K.M. Weiland
Jun 26, 2016 K.M. Weiland rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
How interesting could a novel about a dog be? I mean really! But you know what? This is as good as they say it is. Bristling with realism and high stakes, an entirely engaging (and un-sappified) hero in sled dog Buck, and a fast pace, it’s engaging from beginning to end—if a little episodic.
Written more than a century ago, Jack London's tale of a family dog kidnapped and sent to Alaska to work pulling sleds still works well today as a story of adventure and survival. As well as telling the story of Buck's transition from family pet to hardened work dog and eventually wild creature through Buck's eyes, we also learn about the lives of the men who settled and worked in the rugged north of Canada and Alaska. The scenery is so well described you can almost visualise it and feel the col ...more
[1080p] The Wild Life (2016) Full Online Movie HDQ 1 2 Sep 11, 2016 09:14PM
Around the Year i...: The Call of the Wild, by Jack London 5 32 Jun 16, 2016 03:10PM
Mrs. Anderson's E...: audio/informational 1 1 May 12, 2016 08:07PM
  • King of the Wind: The Story of the Godolphin Arabian
  • Irish Red
  • American Boys Handy Book
  • White Fang (Fast Track Classics)
  • Julie's Wolf Pack (Julie of the Wolves, #3)
  • Essential Manners for Men: What to Do, When to Do It, and Why
  • Studs Lonigan
  • The Old Wives' Tale
  • Kim
  • The Book of Deeds of Arms and of Chivalry
  • The Rough Riders
  • The Prairie (Leatherstocking Tales, #5)
  • Seek: Reports from the Edges of America and Beyond
  • Zuleika Dobson
  • Sybil, or the Two Nations
  • Old Yeller (Old Yeller, #1)
  • The Song of Hiawatha
  • A Dance to the Music of Time: 2nd Movement (A Dance to the Music of Time, #4-6)
Jack London was an American novelist, journalist, social-activist and short-story writer whose works deal romantically with elemental struggles for survival. At his peak, he was the highest paid and the most popular of all living writers. Because of early financial difficulties, he was largely self educated past grammar school.

London drew heavily on his life experiences in his writing. He spent ti
More about Jack London...

“He was mastered by the sheer surging of life, the tidal wave of being, the perfect joy of each separate muscle, joint, and sinew in that it was everything that was not death, that it was aglow and rampant, expressing itself in movement, flying exultantly under the stars.” 1091 likes
“There is an ecstasy that marks the summit of life, and beyond which life cannot rise. And such is the paradox of living, this ecstasy comes when one is most alive, and it comes as a complete forgetfulness that one is alive.
This ecstasy, this forgetfulness of living, comes to the artist, caught up and out of himself in a sheet of flame; it comes to the soldier, war-mad in a stricken field and refusing quarter; and it came to Buck, leading the pack, sounding the old wolf-cry, straining after the food that was alive and that fled swiftly before him through the moonlight.”