Start by marking “Library and Information Center Management” as Want to Read:
Library and Information Center Management

Library and Information Center Management

2.7 of 5 stars 2.70  ·  rating details  ·  297 ratings  ·  53 reviews
The latest edition of this management classic sports a fresh new look to complement its updated content. It continues to cover all of the important functions involved in library management and development. New chapters on marketing, team building and ethics have been added; thought-provoking mini-cases and other activities introduced or expanded; and more international mat ...more
Paperback, Seventh Edition, 492 pages
Published June 1st 2007 by Libraries Unlimited (first published 1993)

To ask other readers questions about Library and Information Center Management, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Library and Information Center Management

Kate
I'm going to start this review by saying that I'm going to talk about why this book was really redundant and awful and I didn't learn anything. First, it was really redundant and repeated itself. Second, it said the same thing over and over and I didn't learn anything. Last, it was pretty pitiful and it makes me wonder if maybe more librarians need to write textbooks to weed out all the other librarians who can't write but somehow get a contract to write one anyway. I'll conclude by saying that, ...more
Carol
This was the textbook for my Library Management class, and the book completely sucked. It's poorly written and clearly did not get the benefit of any real editing, which is surprising considering that it's the seventh edition. In one chapter, the authors mentioned adhering to an employee's "preferred preferences" for something or other. And then there was the chapter that was over thirty pages long yet managed to say just about nothing. The only things that made using this book bearable were the ...more
Joey H.
I would give this 0 stars if I could. Perhaps I am speaking from a point of bias because I have a working knowledge of library management issues due to my employment history, but this book was terribly useless. The level of information covered is so basic that it borders on common sense. If that were not enough, that basic level of information is repeatedly and needlessly rehashed, leading to 73-page treatises on the dynamics of teams and workgroups in which pages 2-73 do not say anything substa ...more
Patricia
This is a fat book. Again, not the most exciting of subjects; however, it is great for people who know nothing of library management. It is also good for people who just haven't done any studying on management in general.

There is a lot of text in the book that seems to be there just for entertainment value. Aside from that, I think this book serves its intended purpose, and not just the purpose to bore me to the point of wanting to jump in front of a bus. Though, it does that too!
Jenny
Jan 02, 2014 Jenny rated it 3 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: LIS graduate students interested in library management, library managers
As a disclaimer, I'm a graduate student pursuing a Master's in Library Information Science, specifically in Informatics. My forte is web development, graphic design, social media, and usability. The class for which I read this textbook was required.

That said, while I find the topic of library administration outside my interest and more than a little boring, the class itself was well instructed and engaging, and I learned much with which I could align to my day job as a library web master. This p
Angie
2.9 Stars. Not bad, not great. Some parts interesting, some parts really boring.
Melissa
Let's be fair. This book was read for a Library Management and Administration class, so odds are that unless you are really interested in this topic, you would find a textbook of the same material dull. This book had some varying strengths ad weaknesses. For instance, it explained many points thoroughly, but it also could have been about half its current size if it had focused more on the actual information one needed/wanted to know rather than rambling on and harping on various points. Also, a ...more
Jamie
I really did read this book cover to cover. Well, I ran my eyes over the pages, anyway. What I discovered is that there will be one sentence in each paragraph that is informative. The rest of the sentences repeat that sentence in various formats, over and over, or offer vague examples. I bet if I had a background in management this book wouldn't have been so sleep-inducing... it's like a brief whirlwind through management concepts and theories. Too much information, so it just touches on everyth ...more
Elizabeth
As is the problem with many textbooks, this book explains its subject well, just not in an interesting fashion. Admittedly, many writers would have trouble making an explanation of budgeting processes (just to choose a topic) fascinating. I do want to give the authors credit for understanding their audience. At the end of the book, they talk about how most library science students don't intend on becoming managers and that many of them have really negative feelings about managing. (They figure s ...more
CluckingBell
Simplistic, redundant, and often cringe-worthy. Read this excerpt on motivation and decide for yourself:

"No reinforcement leads to the extinction of a behavior. Skinner's model posits that when a behavior is not reinforced in one way or another, it will decrease in frequency and then stop. For example, if a manager neither praises nor criticizes the worker who yells across the room to get his attention, that unwanted behavior is not being reinforced and should eventually cease."

Yeah, that's how
Mary
I can't believe that anyone else on Goodreads has actually read this book. Must be other MLS students.
Catfish
Sheri
worst. textbook. ever. I can't believe that someone actually was paid to write/compile this textbook and that Libraries Unlimited can, in good conscience, charge $50 for it. So thankful a friend passed it along to me for free & I just owe her a nice dinner for it or else I would be pissed at having wasted money as a poor graduate student. To illustrate my point, just take a peek at Figures 8.4 & 9.1. If I can bear to peruse the book again I'll add some of the pointless text later.
Ariel Dagan
Aug 15, 2013 Ariel Dagan rated it 5 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Management
Recommended to Ariel by: Cheryl McCarthy
Anyone who thinks librarians or for that case any person working in a non profit organization has an easy day, think again. This book clearly addresses significant issues raised by and dealt with organization that are in constant flux and change.
Highly recommended for any person involved in management of non profits.
Jeffrey

This book is not as terrible as many of these reviews make it out to be. I find it to be written at a high school level and it appears to have been written assuming the reader has never, ever been in the workforce. It is repetitive and simplistic, but there is quality information to be had here.
Lila Brantley
This isn't the worst text book I've ever read, but it wasn't the best either. It used everyday language to explain management concepts that often seemed common sense. It didn't go in to much detail about aspects that seem important. I mean, this is a graduate class for jeeze sake!
Lots of typos. Lots of repetition. But the chapters are quick, easy reads. A good 101 book, but it just brushes the surface of everything. If this is a topic you're interested in, it will leave you wanting more. For me just trying to get through the class, it was a good read.
It is very difficult for me to feel I have learned from a book when the editors could not bother to double-check the basics : spelling, punctuation, and verb tense. This textbook could have helped me if it hadn't distracted me with its bad grammar.
Walt
Very theoretical and academic. It is hard understanding some of their concepts. However, if the reader blocks out the fact that the text looks at library management, one can see that it draws heavily on Peter Drucker and Henry Mintzberg.
Heather
One of the worst textbooks I have ever read. The book suffers from either poor proofreading or poor editing or both. Highly unrecommended. I'll give it two stars because there were a few chapters I didn't completely hate.
Amanda
Required for a graduate class. Way too many chapters were devoted to common-sense management as opposed to valuable information about laws. Also it could have been more interestingly written.
Cathleen
Exasperating and painful. Rambling, redundant, unedited (in both senses), and uninspiring. The use of partial case studies to be continued online (with incorrect URLs) is especially egregious.
incredible LaLa
Sep 28, 2007 incredible LaLa rated it 1 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: mahasiswa jip
iiiiiiiiiiiihhhhhh,,,liat buku ini langsung inget mama LiLy yang waktu manajemen koleksi gw diomelin gara2 lupa baca...dengan nada suara tinggi melengking khas-nya itu...
OMG!!!what a moment!!!!
Rob
The book is a useful and comprehensive introduction to management (and leadership) within a library context. However, it's rather wordy; sometimes the authors repeat themselves unnecessarily.
Venessa
Jun 25, 2008 Venessa rated it 3 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: anyone managing or being managed in libraries
Read for my management class; much better than the last textbook I read, which I felt was written for a two year old. This one actually had good advice and spoke to me like the adult that I am!
Jen
Some of it was new information, a lot of it was common sense. A bit unorganized and repetitive, feel relieved now that I've turned it back in. big print. I confess to skimming some of it.
Michelle
I understand that with a broad subject like "management" it might be hard to find a good text. However, this did not help my understanding of the subject at all.
Marie Corbitt
While this wasn't the most exciting reading ever, it was interesting and I feel like I learned a lot about Library Management. It was very well written and informative.
Nazar
This is great book for modern library and information center managers.I love the way of discussion presented in this book, such as case study and scenario.
Christen
I dislike this series of textbooks and I found that this book wasn't any more helpful or current as the rest I've encountered in my MLIS program.
  • Foundations of Library and Information Science
  • Reference and Information Services in the 21st Century : An Introduction
  • Introduction to Reference Work, Volume I
  • The Organization of Information (Library and Information Science Text Series)
  • Cataloging and Classification: An Introduction
  • Developing Library and Information Center Collections
  • Looking for Information: A Survey of Research on Information Seeking, Needs, and Behavior (Library and Information Science)
  • Basic Research Methods for Librarians (Library and Information Science Text Series)
  • The Practice of Social Research
  • Reference and Information Services: An Introduction (Library and Information Science Text Series)
  • Libraries in the Ancient World
  • Librarian's Guide to Online Searching
  • Reading Matters: What the Research Reveals about Reading, Libraries, and Community
  • Database Systems: A Practical Approach to Design, Implementation and Management
  • Reframing Organizations: Artistry, Choice, and Leadership
  • Fundamentals of Collection Development and Management, 2/e
  • Patience & Fortitude: Wherein a Colorful Cast of Determined Book Collectors, Dealers, and Librarians Go About the Quixotic Task of Preserving a Legacy
  • Social Research Methods: Quantitative and Qualitative Approaches
Developing Library Leaders: A How To Do It Manual For Coaching, Team Building, And Mentoring Library Staff International Librarianship: A Basic Guide to Global Knowledge Access Library Management Academic Librarianship: Yesterday, Today, and Tomorrow Collection Development In Libraries: A Treatise