Start by marking “Made in India” as Want to Read:
Made in India

Made in India

3.81  ·  Rating Details  ·  31 Ratings  ·  22 Reviews
As a child, Biddu dreamt of going west and making it big as a composer. At the age of sixteen, he formed a band and started playing in a cafe in Bangalore, his home town, At eighteen, he was part of a popular act at Trinca's, a nightclub in Calcutta devoted to food, wine and music, At nineteen, he had college students in Bombay dancing to his music.

In his early twenties,
Published December 1st 2010 by HarperCollins

To ask other readers questions about Made in India, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Made in India

Ritesh
Nov 19, 2015 Ritesh rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: autobiography
What happens when a person’s convictions are tested? Most times, the person will falter, and compromise, or even give up. But a few times, some people hang in and soldier on. These are the people who achieve greatness and become stars in their fields. Biddu’s Made in India is one such story.

When any Indian older than twenty-five hears Made in India by Alisha Chinai, all they can think of is the iconic song which defined the wants and wishes of an entire generation and went one to become a cult a
b00k r3vi3ws
I am not very much into reading autobiographies but someone made me pick this one up. And I am glad that he did.

When I think of Biddu, the song Made in India sung by Alisha Chinai instantly popped into my mind. I was in school back then when this album made it huge! It was in a way my introduction to Indipop music. And so it is no wonder that Biddu’s name reminds me of that album that had 10 amazing songs and in a way, this book is also aptly named as ‘Made in India’.

Born and brought up in Sout
Vibhuti Bhandarkar
Sep 28, 2015 Vibhuti Bhandarkar rated it it was amazing
Shelves: first-reads
I've hardly ever given a 5 Star rating to any book, unless its a classic but here's an autobiography by a music icon, who's fan, I've been all my life. And then he writes in a very amusing style with utmost honesty in his voice. I feel the 5 star rating is thus completely justified.

Reading an autobiography gives great insight into an icon's life. There are more than many lessons to take home. Especially after reading this music giant's life story, I am highly inspired to pursue my dreams with a
Teresa
Nov 24, 2015 Teresa rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I rarely read autobiographies and even more rarely read those of people whose name is not familiar to me but when Debdatta at B00kr3vi3ws offered me the opportunity to read and review this book I thought I might as well give it a chance and I am so glad I did. it is a thoroughly enjoyable read. Not too long, it can be finished in a day or a couple of evenings but it is well worth the time.

The author's dry wit and self-deprecating style means that as Biddu tells us of his journey from a middle-cl
Geeta Nair
Oct 19, 2015 Geeta Nair rated it really liked it
‘Made in India’ is the journey of a musical icon Biddu. It is an insight into his dreams, his aspirations and the path he follows to live his dreams, achieve his aspirations. Told in first person, the book takes us on virtual tour of Biddu’s life right from his school days till the point he decided to pen this book. Spanning over a period of over five decades ‘Made in India’ gives the reader an insight into not only the making of Biddu the singer, lyricist, composer and producer but also into th ...more
Nitin Vadher
Sep 20, 2015 Nitin Vadher rated it really liked it
Very less are fortunate to convert their passion into their profession, Biddu is lucky he persuade his carrier in music. I liked the title Made in India Adventure of a lifetime; here adventure of lifetime is very symbolic we find how an ordinary guy with great passion converted his life into a celebrity. At the time of 70’s when parents doesn’t allow their child to make their carrier as a musician or singer, Biddu gone against all odd to make his dream come true.
The book is written from school d
Vanita Bodke
Oct 01, 2015 Vanita Bodke rated it it was amazing
Made in India is Autobiography of Biddu who made a name for himself in Music worldwide. In India he is famously known for "Aap Jaisa koi", "Made in India" and the one album which sold 100,000 copies on its launch day Disco Deewane. His contribution to Indian music scene is meager compared to what Biddu has done internationally. He has sung, written and composed many songs in his long career which he begun at an early age.

Biddu was born at the time when World War II had just ended, India was infa
Kaushal Gupta
The book is nearly a detailed account of Biddu's life till the release of the album Made in India. Biddu starts with his very early days and his attraction towards London, the several attempts made to elope Bangalore and India and how they failed, the transition of The Trojans to The Lone Trojan, the life in the then Calcutta and Bombay, the friends and the love for music, the farewell shows, the betrayals (not in love), the plan to reach London. The journey to reach London and surviving wasn't ...more
Ruchi Singh
Oct 08, 2015 Ruchi Singh rated it it was amazing
Shelves: memoirs, literary
I am not a big fan of autobiographies and avoid them unless I am really intrigued or impressed by the celebrity/person. But when B00kR3vi3ws, presented this chance of reviewing the book about someone, whose songs I love to listen time and again, I couldn’t resist the chance.

‘Made In India’, though an autobiography, reads like a work of fiction. In most of the memoirs or such kind of works the main events, influencing the life of the author, are described randomly. In this saga, I enjoyed the chr
Kritika Narula
Nov 07, 2015 Kritika Narula rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I usually resist reading autobiographies or memoirs, not so much because I'm a fan of fiction as because I fear the person might not be able to express his words right. This one is the best exception to this case I've ever had. I've no issues using the superlative because Biddu's thoughts have been so organized, his precision of information so endearing that one wonders if they remember things this well.

So it is by and by the usual storyline with many points of heart-warming melodies, and the bo
Srilakshmi Indrasenan
Sep 22, 2015 Srilakshmi Indrasenan rated it really liked it
Displaying Author_Biddu.jpg

Stri’s Take On The Story:

The reason I don’t read much of auto-biographies and the likes is because after a point in the story either the person self-victimizes or becomes narcissistic. I don’t state about all auto-bios, but some are really like that. However, this book completely shattered such prejudices that were formed in my mind due to other books.

This is exactly what people would want to read. The author neither preaches nor blames. He talks in a breezy narration.
Amita Sehrawat
Oct 31, 2015 Amita Sehrawat rated it liked it

Failure to flee from home more than once, travelling in unknown country with just a guitar and small backpack, questioning from police in drug smuggling and many more - these are no doubt experiences of a lifetime.
Honestly, I had not heard of the name before I got the opportunity to read this biography. I have never been very much interested in music and music to me has always been just a form of entertainment once in a while or while driving. But that doe
Nimi
Nov 24, 2015 Nimi rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
The cover of 'Made in India' by Biddu has the author playing a guitar. His hair is enjoying the music as much as he is, it seems.
And the hair is integral to the persona and performance, mind you. You will understand when you read the book.

'Made in India' is the story of musician Biddu, his adventurous journey from Bangalore (unlike the happening Bengaluru of today) to the happening streets of London and beyond.

I will not even try to bracket Biddu's 'Made in India' in a single category.

'Made in I
Mukti Jain
Feb 03, 2016 Mukti Jain rated it it was amazing
I reluctantly picked up the book because nothing could be more boring than a man talking about himself. But the book was basically shoved down my throat, but there was a silver lining: I could keep the book down if I got bored. Guess what? The book just gets better and better. Funnier and even more funnier, and not without a few gems and life lessons to take to the grave, all the while rolling on the floor laughing.
Biddu states the third reason to write an autobiography in the preface, the most
Maniparna Sengupta majumder
There were not many adolescents in India who didn’t dance in the tune of “Made in India”. The 90s were a great time to grow up with wonderful music. That was a very palpable childhood; vibrant and colourful. In this song especially, girls like me were smitten not only by the enchanting rendition of Alisha Chinoy but also by the irresistible charm of Milind Soman. It was the first time that I heard of the name Biddu, the composer. And, to speak the truth, felt an awe towards the person who was th ...more
Avantika Chatterjee
Nov 11, 2015 Avantika Chatterjee rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: ray2015
Biddu started his career in his late teens with his best-friends and named the band ‘Trojans’. Like every struggling artists, he soon had to continue his journey on his own as ‘Lone Trojan’ and chase his dreams in London. London dreams for an Indian boy in those days was not a joke yet Biddu struggled towards his success and achieved it.

There are very few people who get what they desire and not hold any grudges against the obstacles one has to face. That was the best thing about this book. Like
Priyanka Roy Banerjee
I liked Biddu’s recount of Calcutta, his stint at Trinca’s, his friends, the music and his brief stint at my city. Trinca’s was the most happening place then and I loved to read his account of that time and age. Biddu moved to Bombay and tried to make it to his dream city, London. His accounts of travel are very interesting and awe inspiring.

Recommended for everyone – dare yourself to dream and motivate to fulfill your dreams.

Read the full review here:
W.R. Watkins
Oct 01, 2015 W.R. Watkins rated it really liked it
Overall Impression: An inspiring story that I think should be read by anyone who has a dream of success.

To read full review please click here

Disclaimer: I received a free copy of the book from the publisher, in exchange for an honest review.
Harsha Priolkar
Feb 23, 2012 Harsha Priolkar rated it liked it
An easy, fun read! I recently read the author's first work of Fiction, Curse of the Godman and this was so much better. An unconventional, exciting life which leads to celebrity doesn't necessarily make for a good read, but the flowing prose, self-deprecating humor and easy anecdotal style of the narrative makes for interesting reading while retaining an honest and heartfelt vibe. My favorite parts to read were his journeys through the Middle-East at a time when the region was not run over by ra ...more
Vinay Leo R.
Review @ A Bookworm's Musing

I do not strongly connect with the genre of non-fiction and autobiographies, but I liked reading this book, especially the parts about Bangalore as it once was. I liked the style of the author, humble and witty.

Even without the strong connect, the book Made in India managed to inspire me. So I feel it would do that more strongly to those who like reading autobiographies. I hope that this line becomes true for me some day as well.

“I am a citizen of the world, but insi
Sanjeev
Sanjeev rated it really liked it
Mar 15, 2016
Sharon
Sharon added it
Mar 03, 2016
Tanvi Prakash
Tanvi Prakash rated it it was amazing
Feb 28, 2016
Amit Das
Amit Das rated it liked it
Jan 04, 2016
Grace
Grace marked it as to-read
Nov 30, 2015
Deepak Motiramani
Deepak Motiramani marked it as to-read
Nov 17, 2015
Biddu was born in India, where he started his career playing in a pop band whose influences lay in the classic repertoire of the Beatles and the Rolling Stones. Following his early success, he decided to hear West and move into the international music arena. He struck gold, signing the unknown Carl Douglas and producing "Kung fu Fighting?" which went on to become a hit all over the world. He also ...more
More about Biddu...