Start by marking “Fjords Vol.1” as Want to Read:
Fjords Vol.1

Fjords Vol.1

Poetry. As one of the most exciting new voices in American poetry, Zachary Schomburg's previous books have enthralled thousands of readers with surreal landscapes populated by gorillas in people clothes, jaguars, plagues of hummingbirds, and even Abraham Lincoln. His poems have inspired art installations, shadow puppetry, rock albums, and string quartets. In FJORDS, Schomb ...more
Published March 6th 2012 by Black Ocean

To ask other readers questions about Fjords Vol.1, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Fjords Vol.1

Darren Angle
Mar 03, 2012 Darren Angle rated it it was amazing
I yelled this book into a locked peanut shell and diamonds replaced the peanuts.
Maureen
Mar 21, 2012 Maureen rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: Linda Kuster, Marcus Haddon
Shelves: poetry
Oh, god, what is there to say about this book? I lost track of how many times my eyes frantically scanned the page after reading the poem, muttering, "Oh my god," and how often does anyone get to read poetry books like that? This book is crazy and weird and sad and mature and amazing.
Richard
Sep 24, 2013 Richard rated it it was amazing
Shelves: 2013
This is an extraordinary collection in that Zachary Schomburg (a local boy, I hear) has managed to create dreams, with all the surrealism, and logic of the dream world, as little prose poems. There are 57 of them with enough recurring themes that an index is provided, and that little bit of clervrness is part of the charm of the volume.

Dreams aren't easy. Most novelists get them wrong, trying to advance a plot, or laden them with meaning. I know we can find dream reasons and connections to our e
Alex
May 06, 2012 Alex rated it liked it
Shelves: poetry
mixed bag, mixed feelings. I think I expected this to be stranger for whatever reason. also there was a bit too much cuteness than I can handle, so it felt unbalanced (not enough darkness).

seven poems really stood out, however (their successes may have cast too great a shadow over their peers)

"The Wild Meaninglessness"
"Because It Comes Right at You Does Not Mean It Comes to Save You"
"Meat Counter"
"The One About the Robbers"
"Costa Rica"
"Building of Unseen Cats"
"Neighborhood Plague"

One major plus
Kevin
Mar 22, 2012 Kevin rated it really liked it
There seems to be a little less melancholy and more weirdness in this newest batch of Z-Schom magic. Some of it reminds me of the dreamlike flash fiction of Barry Yourgrau, especially "I Had a Baby With a Woman the Other Day" and "Fishing For Stingrays." Also awesome is the short beauty, "What I Did With the Rock."
But hey--I have a question: Why is a 60-page poetry book $15? I know that's only 25 cents a page, but still.
Holly
Nov 21, 2014 Holly rated it it was amazing
I think this is very possibly the best collection of poetry I have ever read. Of course, this is my first Schomburg collection, so it could quite easily be beaten by itself in the near future.

Like, I audibly said 'wow', 'oh my god', and 'holy shit' as I read these poems. Amazing.
Trey Harris
Mar 19, 2012 Trey Harris rated it it was amazing
I thought that I would like this book and I did
Andrei Mocuța
Nov 16, 2016 Andrei Mocuța rated it really liked it
”You tell me a joke about two robbers who hide from the police. One robber hides as a sack of cats and the other robber hides as a sack of potatoes. That is the punch line somehow, the sack of potatoes, but all I can think about is how my dad used to throw me over his shoulder when I was very small and call me his sack of potatoes. I've got a sack of potatoes he would yell, spinning around in a circle, the arm not holding me reaching out for a sale. Does anyone want to buy my sack of potatoes? N ...more
Raquel
Jan 25, 2017 Raquel rated it it was amazing
This book is beautiful.
Jeff
Nov 19, 2013 Jeff rated it really liked it
Recommended to Jeff by: Anne Marie
Shelves: poultry
Schomburg's poems are great little interconnected prosetries. I mostly remember the FUN of reading them but there are quite a few glimmers of intellectual stimulation, too.

Wouldn't it be awesome if every reader of every book wrote a really thorough review? Nevertheless, i'm wimping out now. I gave it back to Anne Marie a week or so ago and my memory's not good enough to do it justice.

One thing is certain, though: i loved that it had an index. Because i like to imagine ...
A) a low-level editor co
Donald Armfield
Dec 25, 2014 Donald Armfield rated it it was amazing
This is the third collection I read of Schomburg's work. His surreal landscapes are pure enjoyment. He drops the reader right in the mix of the current time, then delivers a blow that sweeps 'em off their feet.

Another powerful collection from the author of "The Man Suit". This time with a neighborhood filled with; fake sleeping scares, Unkind swans, squirrel problems, and an index in the back of book from A (to) Z. Schomburg deals a great deal of imagination, and gives the reader something to wo
Joe
May 10, 2012 Joe added it
Shelves: poetry
I don't know why I haven't reviewed any bookd lately here. I guess I am becoming review-aphobic. Listen, this is good in the way Zach's other books are but, at 50 some pages and dispensing with any lineated poems, a purer distillation. Oops scratch word pure. I know that's not cool. It read like a good friend. Like it rewarded me for looking forward to it. The real question is what's next, because this is at the terminal point of what was becoming in his first two books I think.

"Donut Hawk" as
Kevin
Mar 23, 2016 Kevin rated it liked it
Shelves: poetry
Enjoyable and pithy. Scary, No Scary is one of my favorite poems, and some of these hit the same chords. I have another Schomburg book on my nightstand that I'm looking forward to, and while I enjoy his imagery and the way he builds fable-like atmospheres using everyday imagery and themes, I get a little tired of the phantasmagoric nature of his work, which sometimes veers too far away from emotional discoveries in favor of unusual and startling linguistic pairings.
David
Jan 06, 2013 David rated it it was amazing
Yet again, Schomburg has given us a collection of poems of which I understand not a one, but adore each. I literally never know what is coming next in a line. No matter how much you think I'd get prepared, I don't. They are creative, imaginative, and entertaining. There are few other poets who entertain me as much. There is probably more I'm not grasping, but I love what I get so I don't see the need to mess with that.
J.A.
Mar 17, 2012 J.A. rated it it was amazing
"In this beautiful new volume, Schomburg writes from his signature surreal vantage, but one this time of fjords and ice-flows and boats melded with ghosts and bodily transformations and lost limbs."

Read the full review at The Nervous Breakdown: http://www.thenervousbreakdown.com/ty...
Alisha
Jul 24, 2012 Alisha rated it really liked it
Shelves: poetry
Just got it and it's all I want to read. Everyone else's poems seem so confessional, fatty. His are so crisp. No meandering and nothing is wasted. His stories are one-size-fits-all, allegories for anything, like a coded version of everyone's entire life. A roulette of heartbreak after heartbreak til you can't tell what's the bullet, what's dying or not dying.
Mike Kleine
Aug 13, 2012 Mike Kleine rated it it was amazing
To give you an idea, this is the kind of poetry Gregory Sherl and Sam Pink write.
Cary
Jul 03, 2013 Cary rated it it was amazing
Definitely his finest collection. "The Building of Unseen Cats" being my favorite. He succeeds here in the practice in poetry I call "the absolute essentiality of the image" (Robert Bly), where absurdity is overcome by the complete acceptance of a given reality. Very good book.
Jamie Gaughran-Perez
Mar 14, 2012 Jamie Gaughran-Perez rated it really liked it
My final take: the book suddenly became a tarot deck in the remaining pages. That's the best I could explain it. Abstract, surreal, and just on the edge of sense, just about to tell you something about your life, if you let it.
Heidi
Nov 16, 2013 Heidi added it
Not sure how to rate this. At first I hated it. But I checked it out because of his poem that was in Poetry. The poems are like descriptions of dreams--visual, seemingly illogical, yet there is something so visceral that stays with you and begs to be revisited.
Clark Knowles
May 23, 2012 Clark Knowles rated it it was amazing
Love this book. It was like reading my dreams. Schomburg has very quickly become one of my favorite contemporary poets. The first five and the last five poems floored me. And many of the ones in between, too.
Daniela
Mar 13, 2012 Daniela rated it really liked it
Quite a few of the pieces in this book were from Schomburg's last chapbook and they remained my favorite. There were some new ones that were good but this collection didn't quite compare in quality to his previous two books.
Cat Lilly
Jun 24, 2013 Cat Lilly rated it really liked it
Shelves: favorites, poetry
These poems are hilarious. I still think about the man waving goodbye so hard on the boat, that it falls off into the sea.
Mary
Jan 01, 2016 Mary rated it it was amazing
Shelves: favorites, poetry
The kind of thing I want to read over and over again. Tiny little dreams, dark and weird and lovely.
Sarah Barrett
Oct 29, 2015 Sarah Barrett rated it it was amazing
Favorite Poetry of all time. 10/10. Dark and surreal images that send your mind on a trip of deep emotions. Makes you see suffering and sadness in a different perspective.
Heather
Oct 10, 2013 Heather rated it it was amazing
So very strange that it makes complete sense. An absolutely fantastic poetry collection, blending outrageously absurd images with a subtle human touch in softly flowing free verse. A masterpiece.
Mimo
Mimo rated it liked it
Feb 09, 2015
Milo
Milo rated it really liked it
Sep 26, 2013
Erna
Erna rated it really liked it
Jan 24, 2017
Ian Rictor
Ian Rictor rated it really liked it
Apr 26, 2015
  • Meat Heart
  • Poemland
  • Mean Free Path
  • One with Others: [a little book of her days]

“Building of Unseen Cats"

When I woke up, it was the middle of the night and
my building was on fire. The hallway was not filled
with smoke, and then quickly it was. I rescued a few
older men from their bathtubs, a few babies from
their cribs. Outside, the air was filled with hair.
Everyone but me was holding a plastic cage with a
cat in it. We weren't supposed to have cats in my
building, but there they all were, an invisible nation
suddenly uncurtained into a blinding and brutal
world. Everyone looked at me with a face that said
let's never speak o f this. Let's not look directly at what
is meant to be loved in secret. Let's, for example,
imagine the sea is always, constantly, and forever
spilling toward us, that our screaming building is
something worth escaping.”
0 likes
“I watch a squirrel get run over by a car on my walk to work. She is lying dead in the street and still has an acorn in her little hands. I am amazed at how she is able to hold on to her acorn after being tumbled like that, after bouncing so high off the street. I walk over to the squirrel and see that her face is blown to bits and looks like uncased sausage spilling onto the asphalt. But that acorn is still so tight in her hands. I pick her up by her tail, take off my dress shirt and swaddle her in it, then put her in my bag. I know right where she is as I walk into work, everybody looking at me, everybody asking me about my shirtlessness. The world is as steady as if it were sewn into the skin of the universe.” 0 likes