Start by marking “Fjords Vol.1” as Want to Read:
Fjords Vol.1

Fjords Vol.1

4.32 of 5 stars 4.32  ·  rating details  ·  237 ratings  ·  24 reviews
Poetry. As one of the most exciting new voices in American poetry, Zachary Schomburg's previous books have enthralled thousands of readers with surreal landscapes populated by gorillas in people clothes, jaguars, plagues of hummingbirds, and even Abraham Lincoln. His poems have inspired art installations, shadow puppetry, rock albums, and string quartets. In FJORDS, Schomb ...more
Published March 6th 2012 by Black Ocean

To ask other readers questions about Fjords Vol.1, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Fjords Vol.1

Darren Angle
I yelled this book into a locked peanut shell and diamonds replaced the peanuts.
Maureen
Nov 21, 2014 Maureen rated it 4 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: Linda Kuster, Marcus Haddon
Shelves: poetry, favorites
Oh, god, what is there to say about this book? I lost track of how many times my eyes frantically scanned the page after reading the poem, muttering, "Oh my god," and how often does anyone get to read poetry books like that? This book is crazy and weird and sad and mature and amazing.
Richard
This is an extraordinary collection in that Zachary Schomburg (a local boy, I hear) has managed to create dreams, with all the surrealism, and logic of the dream world, as little prose poems. There are 57 of them with enough recurring themes that an index is provided, and that little bit of clervrness is part of the charm of the volume.

Dreams aren't easy. Most novelists get them wrong, trying to advance a plot, or laden them with meaning. I know we can find dream reasons and connections to our e
Holly
I think this is very possibly the best collection of poetry I have ever read. Of course, this is my first Schomburg collection, so it could quite easily be beaten by itself in the near future.

Like, I audibly said 'wow', 'oh my god', and 'holy shit' as I read these poems. Amazing.
Alex
May 06, 2012 Alex rated it 3 of 5 stars
Shelves: poetry
mixed bag, mixed feelings. I think I expected this to be stranger for whatever reason. also there was a bit too much cuteness than I can handle, so it felt unbalanced (not enough darkness).

seven poems really stood out, however (their successes may have cast too great a shadow over their peers)

"The Wild Meaninglessness"
"Because It Comes Right at You Does Not Mean It Comes to Save You"
"Meat Counter"
"The One About the Robbers"
"Costa Rica"
"Building of Unseen Cats"
"Neighborhood Plague"

One major plus
Kevin
There seems to be a little less melancholy and more weirdness in this newest batch of Z-Schom magic. Some of it reminds me of the dreamlike flash fiction of Barry Yourgrau, especially "I Had a Baby With a Woman the Other Day" and "Fishing For Stingrays." Also awesome is the short beauty, "What I Did With the Rock."
But hey--I have a question: Why is a 60-page poetry book $15? I know that's only 25 cents a page, but still.
Donald Armfield
This is the third collection I read of Schomburg's work. His surreal landscapes are pure enjoyment. He drops the reader right in the mix of the current time, then delivers a blow that sweeps 'em off their feet.

Another powerful collection from the author of "The Man Suit". This time with a neighborhood filled with; fake sleeping scares, Unkind swans, squirrel problems, and an index in the back of book from A (to) Z. Schomburg deals a great deal of imagination, and gives the reader something to wo
Trey Harris
I thought that I would like this book and I did
Jeff
Dec 26, 2013 Jeff rated it 4 of 5 stars
Recommended to Jeff by: Anne Marie
Shelves: 2013, poultry
Schomburg's poems are great little interconnected prosetries. I mostly remember the FUN of reading them but there are quite a few glimmers of intellectual stimulation, too.

Wouldn't it be awesome if every reader of every book wrote a really thorough review? Nevertheless, i'm whimping out now. I gave it back to Anne Marie a week or so ago and my memory's not good enough to do it justice.

One thing is certain, though: i loved that it had an index. Because i like to imagine ...
A) a low-level editor c
Joe
May 13, 2012 Joe added it
Shelves: poetry
I don't know why I haven't reviewed any bookd lately here. I guess I am becoming review-aphobic. Listen, this is good in the way Zach's other books are but, at 50 some pages and dispensing with any lineated poems, a purer distillation. Oops scratch word pure. I know that's not cool. It read like a good friend. Like it rewarded me for looking forward to it. The real question is what's next, because this is at the terminal point of what was becoming in his first two books I think.

"Donut Hawk" as
David
Yet again, Schomburg has given us a collection of poems of which I understand not a one, but adore each. I literally never know what is coming next in a line. No matter how much you think I'd get prepared, I don't. They are creative, imaginative, and entertaining. There are few other poets who entertain me as much. There is probably more I'm not grasping, but I love what I get so I don't see the need to mess with that.
Alisha
Just got it and it's all I want to read. Everyone else's poems seem so confessional, fatty. His are so crisp. No meandering and nothing is wasted. His stories are one-size-fits-all, allegories for anything, like a coded version of everyone's entire life. A roulette of heartbreak after heartbreak til you can't tell what's the bullet, what's dying or not dying.
J.A.
"In this beautiful new volume, Schomburg writes from his signature surreal vantage, but one this time of fjords and ice-flows and boats melded with ghosts and bodily transformations and lost limbs."

Read the full review at The Nervous Breakdown: http://www.thenervousbreakdown.com/ty...
Mike Kleine
To give you an idea, this is the kind of poetry Gregory Sherl and Sam Pink write.
Cary
Definitely his finest collection. "The Building of Unseen Cats" being my favorite. He succeeds here in the practice in poetry I call "the absolute essentiality of the image" (Robert Bly), where absurdity is overcome by the complete acceptance of a given reality. Very good book.
Heidi
Nov 21, 2013 Heidi added it
Not sure how to rate this. At first I hated it. But I checked it out because of his poem that was in Poetry. The poems are like descriptions of dreams--visual, seemingly illogical, yet there is something so visceral that stays with you and begs to be revisited.
Daniela
Quite a few of the pieces in this book were from Schomburg's last chapbook and they remained my favorite. There were some new ones that were good but this collection didn't quite compare in quality to his previous two books.
Jamie Gaughran-Perez
My final take: the book suddenly became a tarot deck in the remaining pages. That's the best I could explain it. Abstract, surreal, and just on the edge of sense, just about to tell you something about your life, if you let it.
Clark Knowles
Love this book. It was like reading my dreams. Schomburg has very quickly become one of my favorite contemporary poets. The first five and the last five poems floored me. And many of the ones in between, too.
Heather
So very strange that it makes complete sense. An absolutely fantastic poetry collection, blending outrageously absurd images with a subtle human touch in softly flowing free verse. A masterpiece.
Cat Lilly
These poems are hilarious. I still think about the man waving goodbye so hard on the boat, that it falls off into the sea.
Maddelyn
May need to reread. All I have to say for now is that the index is amazing.
Gerardo Mena
Mindblowing and amazing. Schomburg is the new Jesus of poetry.
Fernanda Garcia
Fernanda Garcia marked it as to-read
Jan 25, 2015
Cadence Pentheny
Cadence Pentheny marked it as to-read
Jan 16, 2015
Sotodeh
Sotodeh marked it as to-read
Jan 10, 2015
Eric
Eric marked it as to-read
Jan 09, 2015