Start by marking “The Call to Wonder: Loving God like a Child” as Want to Read:
The Call to Wonder: Loving God like a Child

The Call to Wonder: Loving God like a Child

4.29  ·  Rating Details  ·  55 Ratings  ·  18 Reviews
Jesus encourages us to become like children in order to inherit God’s Kingdom. Childlike faith is not an option. R C. Sproul Jr. explores in depth what it means to accept Jesus’ invitation to practice a childlike faith. As the father of eight children, R.C. Sproul Jr. watches how his own children approach every day, buoyed by trust, hope, and joy. Through their eyes, the w ...more
Published March 2012 by Tyndale House (first published February 17th 2012)

To ask other readers questions about The Call to Wonder, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Call to Wonder

Peter N.
Aug 06, 2013 Peter N. rated it it was amazing
Different authors do different things to me when I read. Some make my brain hurt as I have to read and reread paragraphs. Some make my heart hurt as they point out my sin and drive me to confession. Some make me feel like I have been in a boxing ring. R.C. Sproul Jr. centers me. Whenever I get the feeling that I am directionless, especially with my family I go back to Sproul Jr. When I read him I feel at peace. That may sound strange, but he directs me back to the center of my faith and my vocat ...more
Bill
Dec 31, 2014 Bill rated it it was amazing
Shelves: theology
Very glad I read this book. Spiral Jr's writing style allows for easy reading, even his explanations of "complicated" theology. My favorite chapters of the book were "A call to maturity" and "A call to Joy". I hope I can apply at least a fraction of what this book teaches. A couple quotes: To be mature in understanding is not ultimately about knowing the definitions and nuances of complex theological concepts. To be mature in our thinking is not related to whether we read the most provocative th ...more
Melissa
Mar 02, 2015 Melissa rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: Everyone, especially grown-up Christians, who may have to grow down. :)
This is an amazing book for those of us who have lost at least some of our childlike wonder and trust. I wasn't quite sure how much it would help me, because I already marvel at God's creation. But there is so much more to it than that! And I still take God's creation for granted sometimes and focus on the downsides of things. From topics on humility, joy, and drawing near to God, there are so many things to learn from this book! One of the big things for me was the reminder that God is a loving ...more
Peter
Mar 14, 2012 Peter rated it it was amazing
See my full review at my blog.

We have all heard and been told that we ought to have faith like a Child. This comes form Matthew 18:3 where Jesus tells his disciples that "unless you turn and become like children, you will never enter the kingdom of heaven." Many of us wonder, however, what Jesus meant that we should become like Children. This is the focus of R.C. Sproul Jr.'s new book The Call to Wonder: Loving God like a Child.

Sproul begins by exploring how surprising it is that Jesus would as
Abbie Riddle
May 29, 2012 Abbie Riddle rated it it was amazing
One can not help but think of great Christian writing when one hears this name. In fact his children's books are some of my favorites because they also are perfectly suited for adults to enjoy over and over again. However, this book is especially touching and sweet. It is one that will strike a deep chord with anyone who chooses to pick it up.

Through very personal and candid stories of his family and children he explores what God's love for his children is and what it is truly like to have child
Jan
Jul 15, 2012 Jan rated it really liked it
Shelves: pnacl

This fine book, which you will probably shelve in Christian life/spiritual growth section, is calling you back to recapture your childlike spirit and faith in God. R. C Sproul Jr. uses Matthew 18:3 (NKJV)
“Unless you are converted and become as little children, you will by no means enter the kingdom of heaven” R.C. Sproul and his wife and their eight children live in Orlando Florida and he is a teaching fellow at Ligonier Ministries. This book is the result of his raising the 8 children and time
Ryan Ray
Jan 07, 2015 Ryan Ray rated it liked it
Shelves: general-theology
I really enjoy R.C. Jr and some of the early chapters had some great quotes. As the book progressed I lost interest and decided to stop after 5 chapters.
Blake Western
The author shares many experiences from his children and family in his call for us to become child-like, not childish. He points to the way children express wonder, trust, joy, etc. The author and his wife have eight children.
Carmon
Mar 10, 2012 Carmon rated it it was amazing
I plan to write a review of this one, but R.C. wrote a lovely and encouraging book, forged in the fire of his own trial of watching his wife suffer with leukemia and pass away as it was going into print. We sometimes think we know so much, yet we miss so much by not having a simple trust in God and His Word. This book points to the things we need to see with fresh eyes.
Jon
Oct 03, 2012 Jon rated it it was amazing
Writing this review is spurred by the news of RC, Jr.'s daughter's death. This book is very touching in its dealing with our need to love God like children, especially such as his daughter Shannon, who went to be with The Lord today. You can't help but read this and feel RC's love for his children and his wife, just as The Lord loves His children.
Nathan
Apr 25, 2012 Nathan rated it it was amazing
What's the difference between being childish and being childlike? Sproul will get you to think about your spirituality from his own personal experiences of how he learned lots of very important lessons. Along the way he has some great insights into Scriptural ideas like the covenant, God's love, and adoption.

Great book.
Michael Cunningham
Aug 17, 2013 Michael Cunningham rated it it was amazing
This is one of the best books I have read lately. Sproul jr. doesn't just make a rational, biblical case for his thesis, but draws you into his own personal joys and struggles to explain why one should wonder at God. This is a book I will refer to again and again. May God help me have the faith of a child.
Kristin
Apr 23, 2013 Kristin rated it it was amazing
This was a beautiful reflection on the value of being like a little child. The book notes well how captivated children are by the simple, and the real JOY that comes in seeing the world and standing in awe, in a state on wonder! Let us realize our daily blessings, oh how they abound.
Hollie D
Nov 19, 2013 Hollie D rated it it was amazing
This book is amazing. It caused me to laugh and weep and wonder at the amazing ways God loves us. I think this book is very needed in the modern day Reformed Tradition. Read it. You won't regret it.
Jennifer McMaster
Feb 27, 2013 Jennifer McMaster rated it it was amazing
wow-has totally changed my view of suffering. It is actually something to be welcomed because of what it accomplishes as we submit to the will of God.
Sep 19, 2013 Jennifer rated it really liked it
Shelves: faith, 2013
Moving. Clear. Biblical. Unexpected in places. I really appreciated this book & the perspective it challenged me to take.
Brittany Dalomba
Dec 29, 2015 Brittany Dalomba rated it it was amazing
Shelves: 2015
Beautiful. Chapter 8 especially.
Job Dalomba
Mar 12, 2013 Job Dalomba rated it it was amazing
A beautiful book. Highly recommended.
Allen Patterson
Allen Patterson marked it as to-read
May 22, 2016
Redlanternlady
Redlanternlady marked it as to-read
May 21, 2016
Esther
Esther marked it as to-read
Apr 03, 2016
Benjamin Stocksdale
Benjamin Stocksdale marked it as to-read
Feb 01, 2016
Cecilia Dunbar Hernandez
Cecilia Dunbar Hernandez rated it it was amazing
Jan 06, 2016
Aaron Gregas
Aaron Gregas marked it as to-read
Jan 04, 2016
Britty
Britty marked it as to-read
Dec 25, 2015
Michelle
Michelle marked it as to-read
Dec 15, 2015
Charlie Bourn
Charlie Bourn marked it as to-read
Oct 26, 2015
Eric
Eric marked it as to-read
Sep 12, 2015
« previous 1 3 4 5 next »
Robert Craig Sproul, better known as R.C. Sproul, Jr., is a Calvinist Christian minister and theologian and is the son of R.C. Sproul, a noted Reformed theologian and founder of Ligonier Ministries.
More about R.C. Sproul Jr....

“Perhaps the most shockingly transcendent thing about the God we worship is that He is pleased to stoop down to us, to draw near, to know us, love us, walk with us, and call us all by name.” 5 likes
“If you should ever be blessed to be far enough from the cacophony of civilization when a heavy snow falls, you can even hear the very music of the iced dew's delicate descent. It is the repainting of a landscape in a thousand hues of white. It is the dance of the wind.” 4 likes