Start by marking “The Plight and Plot of Princess Penny” as Want to Read:
The Plight and Plot of Princess Penny

The Plight and Plot of Princess Penny (TaleSpins #2)

**Now only available as part of the 3-story print & eBook collection titled TALESPINS!** --- From the author of "8: The Previously Untold Story of the Previously Unknown 8th Dwarf" comes an original fairy tale about a teenage princess who hires the witch from "The Frog Prince" to get revenge on a Mean Girl at school. (Intended f
Published February 22nd 2012 by Gemiknight Studios, LLC

To ask other readers questions about The Plight and Plot of Princess Penny, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Plight and Plot of Princess Penny

Hans & Greta by Nicki ElsonElla Enchanted by Gail Carson LevineCinder by Marissa Meyer8 by Michael MullinFairest by Gail Carson Levine
Best Twisted Fairy Tales
46th out of 165 books — 288 voters
Sam Certainly Can by Bridgitte LesleyLiberty or Death by David        CookCrashing Back Down by Kristen Hope MazzolaYours Truly, Taddy by Avery AsterAfter Forever Ends by Melodie Ramone
List of Self Published Books
119th out of 541 books — 476 voters

More lists with this book...

May 19, 2012 karen rated it liked it

not as cute nor as surprising as 8: The Previously Untold Story of the Previously Unknown 8th Dwarf, but still a fun, rollicking story about a bullied princess pushed too far, and the importance of reading the fine print.

if i were a clever girl, i would write my review in verse, but it has been a long week, and i just woke up from a nap, which i find has left me grouchy, but this review is long overdue, so i am pushing aside my drowsiness - all for you, internet!

the verses in this poem are on th
Book Him Danno
I will be reviewing this on my blog in the next few weeks. I gave this book 2 1/2 stars I liked the rhyme but I had to read a few passages again so I could understand what was happening....I never like to work when I'm reading a book...I enjoy the passive entertainment aspect of most books.

I read and reviewed Michael’s short story, 8: The Previously Untold Story of the Previously Unknown 8th Dwarf, and enjoyed it (see review here.) This short story was a bit more confusing in verse then 8. I ha
(Source: I received a digital copy of this book for free on a read-to-review basis. Thanks to Michael Mullin.)
This is a short story, written in rhyme. Princess Penny is not popular at school, and wants to get revenge on her arch rival Darcy. After seeing an advert for a witch in a magazine, Penny sets off to find her and to get a spell for revenge on Darcy, but things don’t go according to plan, and Penny finds herself in hot water.

This was an okay story, but I didn’t like it as much as the firs
Jessica Bronder
Mar 28, 2012 Jessica Bronder rated it it was amazing
Princess Penny is not your normal princess that thinks about knights in shining armor, being the head of a click in school, and wasting all the money in the treasury. Sadly, an ex-friend, Darcy, has been spreading vicious rumors saying she is very superficial. While reading a magazine, Penny finds an ad from a witch that promised to help you get revenge. All Penny can think about is having Darcy suffer the same way she has.

When Penny gets to the witch’s place, she learns that she is missing some
Christy LoveOfBooks
Mar 20, 2012 Christy LoveOfBooks rated it really liked it
Shelves: e-book, read-in-2012
No joke, I love this kind of stuff! I reviewed Mullin's other book, 8: The Previously Untold Story of the Unknown 8th Dwarf, not too long ago and adored it. There's just something about a story told or wrote in rhyme that I love. But not just any old rhyming tale will do; I need it witty, fun, and clever. Thankfully, Mullin does this well.

The Plight & Plot of Princess Penny is a little modern mixed with classic fairytale. Penny may be a princess, but she certainly doesn't rule at school. The
Dec 26, 2012 Daniela rated it it was amazing
Mean girl vs. princess vs. the witch who turned a prince into a frog. Penny could have made it through high school without the help of black magic, but where's the fun in that? Witches make things messy. They're tricky and can get really ugly when they're mad. Penny, unfortunately, went shopping to the wrong place and pissed off the wrong person.
Her plan to get revenge rebounded.

So in my review of 8: The Previously Untold Story of the Previously Unknown 8th Dwarf I'd rambled on about how much fu
Erlynn (BooksHugBack)
Mar 16, 2012 Erlynn (BooksHugBack) rated it it was amazing
My stinky rhyme doesn't do this new book justice at all! What an awesome YA story that makes light of other traditional fairy-tales while addressing real teenage problems and issues. Well done!

The Plight and Plot of Princess Penny is the newest fairy-tale twist,
author Michael Mullin tells the tale in verse if you get my jist.
Princess Penny is learning disabled, and picked on by her school,
All because of a mean old friend who tried and sought to rule.

Penny seeks out a wicked old witch
Coreena McBurnie
Mar 14, 2012 Coreena McBurnie rated it really liked it
This is a twist on traditional fairy tales, told in verse. It is a short and entertaining read. I love twists on other stories and Michael Mullin is very good at them.

Princess Penny is tired of being bullied by Darcy and, after seeing an ad by the witch in the local paper, decides to take her revenge. She goes to the witch, who lives deep in the woods in a candy encrusted cottage, to purchase a potion that will curse Darcy. Along the way, she meets Jink, a troll under the bridge who tries to per
Kathy Martin
Feb 24, 2012 Kathy Martin rated it it was amazing
This was a nice original fairy tale told in verse. It poked fun at a lot of the standard fairy tale tropes including the evil witch and the spells that go wrong but it also included a lot of standard high school stuff where best friends become bitter enemies.

Penny and Darcy were best friends when they were little but had a falling out when Darcy want to use their friendship to gain social status. For years now, Darcy and her crowd have been bullying and excluding Penny. Now Penny has found a ch
Mar 24, 2012 Krysta rated it really liked it
Source: Received from author in exchange for an honest review

Mullin’s fairy tale retellings set themselves apart from others on the market with their conscious inclusion of the readers as both participants and audience. By making the witch of this original story the same one who enchanted both the Frog Prince and the Beast, Mullin connects his work to the rich tradition of fairy tales throughout the centuries. He simultaneously updates the story by portraying Penny as a modern-day teenager with
May 04, 2012 Carol rated it it was ok
Shelves: fantasy, for-review
Two things I like:
•The rhymes. It’s witty and fun.
•The story’s self-awareness:

He scolded her for visiting the cottage. His
patience was wearing thin.
“Don’t you read,” he pleaded his case,”any stories
like the one you’re in?
You pay an old hag to give you lessons in the fine
art of being cruel,
So you can attack some misguided girl who also
attends your school?” (28%)

Two things I didn’t like:
•The high school angst. Others might find the lessons in the story worthwhile and meaningful. We sho
Catherine Coffman
May 09, 2012 Catherine Coffman rated it liked it
Shelves: review-copy
While I don’t generally gravitate to stories told in verse, I do love a good twist on a fairy tale, and I loved 8: The Previously Untold Story of the Unknown 8th Dwarf, so I was excited to read this new work from Mike Mullin, and I wasn’t disappointed.

The verse of Princess Penny didn’t flow as well to me as in 8, but the story was an interesting twist of traditional fairy tale roles, and modern times, with a cute and funny tone that kept me reading and chuckling to the very end.

Penny is a teenag
Jul 05, 2012 Kim rated it really liked it
The humor that Mullin is able to inject into the story makes this tale my favorite of the two. The writing flows better in this work than it does in 8, which allowed me to enjoy this tale more. Mullin’s visual style of writing helped me “see” the world he was creating.

Penny and her troll friend Jink were adorable creations. I really liked the way the story was “youth-enized” and written in a way that its target audience will enjoy. Mullin has certainly created a fun and inventive way to tell cla
Apr 15, 2012 Star rated it it was amazing
Penny's a princess, sure, but it doesn't stop her from being picked on by the popular girl in school. To exact her revenge, she goes to a witch whose advertisement was in the local paper. She is so blinded by her hatred, she doesn't see what the real problem is. Jink is a troll who knows exactly what the true cost is of the witch's "help". Told in verse, with clever rhymes and an age-old lesson within, The Plight and Plot of Princess Penny is a delight to read. It's also a lot of fun to read it ...more
Michael (Mai)
Jun 16, 2012 Michael (Mai) rated it liked it
Here is another fairy tale re-write by Michael Mullin. I’m lucky he sent it to me because I’m a fan of his I absolutely loved his first short story, 8: The Previously Untold Story of the Previously Unknown 8th Dwarf.

Penny’s story is a fun one, but was it as good as Creepy’s? No. I enjoyed it but some of the rhyming didn’t come as naturally.

Yes, I liked it, and I recommend it to you. But please read 8 first. Short story. Short review.
Tobyann Aparisi
Jul 20, 2012 Tobyann Aparisi rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: anyone
Recommended to Tobyann by: goodreads, amazon
Very interesting way of writing! It was actually kind of fun to read. The book rhymed all of the way through yet it was a good story with a great little, strange little character. I did enjoy this fast paced read. Like I said it was a lot of fun.
Mar 20, 2012 Max rated it it was amazing
I thought this book was a very interesting original fairytale. i enjoyed this book a lot
Mar 26, 2012 Dani rated it it was amazing
This is a great book--someone needs to turn it into a movie franchise!
This was really cute. The Frog Prince meets Mean Girls.
Mar 20, 2012 Sophie rated it it was amazing
i like this book a lot!
May 16, 2013 Jams rated it really liked it
As fun as the first!
Robyn Hawk
Robyn Hawk marked it as to-read
Sep 02, 2016
Rocio Mares
Rocio Mares marked it as to-read
Jul 02, 2016
Melcorbett rated it really liked it
Jun 17, 2016
Jes marked it as to-read
May 25, 2016
Jo-Jo marked it as to-read
Apr 08, 2016
Mikayla marked it as to-read
Mar 21, 2016
Nicole Gauss
Nicole Gauss marked it as to-read
Mar 14, 2016
Andrew Vickers
Andrew Vickers marked it as to-read
Feb 29, 2016
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 next »
Michael Mullin is a native New Englander living in Pasadena. He is Founder and CEO of Gemiknight Press, which currently publishes his own work and his collaborations, but is moving toward accepting submissions. The company's flagship title is "TaleSpins," a trilogy of alternative fairy tales and retellings for YA readers. Michael is also author of "Simon," a modern-day retelling of Hamlet that won ...more
More about Michael Mullin...

TaleSpins (3 books)