Start by marking “Motor City Mage (Urban Arcana #4)” as Want to Read:
Motor City Mage (Urban Arcana  #4)

Motor City Mage (Urban Arcana #4)

3.9 of 5 stars 3.90  ·  rating details  ·  135 ratings  ·  26 reviews

As a cop who keeps paranormals in line, Des has a hard time trusting them. So why does he want the beautiful werewolf Lana more than his next breath? She's mouthy, flamboyant and distractingly sexy—not the type of woman for a reserved mage like him. Lana admires Des, but she can't be with someone who won't take her seriously, no matter how much she'd love to rip off his dr

Published March 12th 2012 by Carina Press (first published January 1st 2012)

To ask other readers questions about Motor City Mage, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Motor City Mage

Rea
Full review can be found here.

First of all, let me point out that I went into this novel, the fourth in a series, without having read the first three books. While it is possible to read this book as a standalone, there are a lot of allusions to events in the previous books in the first few chapters that did leave me feeling a bit left out.

At first glance, this book seems to have all the right ingredients to be one that really tickles my fancy: various flavours of mythical beings all living among
Marlene
Review originally posted at http://www.readingreality.net/2012/03...

I've enjoyed every trip to magical Detroit so far, and Motor City Mage turned out to be another delightful journey to Cindy Spencer Pape's paranormal version of Motown.

The mage in Motor City Mage is Desmond Sutton. He's the representative of the Wyndewin League in Detroit, and a powerful wizard. But the incredibly insular Wyndewin League has a few problems with the way that Sutton represents them in Motown.

Desmond has been mixin
Jess the Romanceaholic
This is a Quickie Review. For the full review, please visit The Romanceaholic.

Expected Release Date: March 12, 2012
Publisher: Harlequin
Imprint: Carina Press
Author’s Website: http://www.cindyspencerpape.com/
My Source for This Book: Netgalley
Part of a Series: Yes, Book 4, Urban Arcana
Series Best Read In Order: Probably.
Steam Level: Steamy

While I think that newcomers to the series will easily follow along with the action and the characters, I can tell you that it would probably be better having rea
Melindeeloo
3.5 stars. While the book Motor City Mage, which finishes off Pape's Urban Arcana series, does stand alone fairly well, those who read the previous book are definitely at an advantage. Mage Des and werewolf Lana are continuing characters (Des is brother to the leading lady from Motor City Witch and Lana is a cousin to the lead in Motor City Wolf) and the pair have been eyeballing and annoying each other for a while now, so - with the preliminaries already out of the way - the pair get hot and he ...more
Shay Williams
MOTOR CITY MAGE is actually the fourth book in the Urban Arcana series and the second one that I have had the pleasure of reading. And it was a pleasure even though I haven’t read them all. Each book is complete within itself so I didn’t feel as though I was missing anything. And since it is one of my pet peeves that so many series books that coming out lately really rely on reading the entire series, I am always ecstatic when I find books that are able to stand all on their own.

Another thing th
Delia
Now I have to start off by saying I was at a slight disadvantage coming into this book. I received a copy of the book via Net Galley but had not read the first three in the series. Now don't get me wrong Motor City Mage does work well at a standalone. The only problem I had was that the first chapter had very little build up. After that initial chapter though I knew what was going on and the story flowed very well.

Apparently Des a Mage and Lana a werewolf have been "dealing" with each other for
Jen (Red Hot Books)
Des and Lana have been fighting their attraction to each other for awhile now. Des is a mage who works for a supernatural policing group opposed to mingling with other species. Lana is a werewolf; she's feisty and fierce, bold and beautiful. And she is nowhere near ready to settle down.

But when the two of them get pulled into a case together, all of their resolve goes out of the window. Someone is working with demons to put a dangerous drug on the streets. Lana has a connection that can help Des
Kayla Tocco
Find this review and others at www.wholelatteromance.blogspot.com

Title: Motor City Mage
Publisher: Harlequin
Imprint: Carina Press
Publication Date: March 12, 2012
ISBN: 9781426893384
Genre: Paranormal/Urban Fantasy Romance
Series: Urban Arcana Book 4

The Blurb:

As a cop who keeps paranormals in line, Des has a hard time trusting them. So why does he want the beautiful werewolf Lana more than his next breath? She's mouthy, flamboyant and distractingly sexy-not the type of woman for a reserved mage like
Rhonda
Thursday, February 23, 2012Motor city Mage by Cindy Spencer Pape
4 Stars
I enjoyed it. But would like better if I had read other books before. It does stand alone. Also was lot of sex scenes in it.
Motor City might be the start and the end of this book but in between goes to many worlds or dimensions each different.
Desmond Sutton is a mage and belongs to the Wyndewin League. The league fight the supernatauls that harm humans.
He has been trying to stop demon drug that harms humans. His boss James
Jo  (Mixed Book Bag)
Paranormal Romance

Motor City Mage is the fourth book in this series and it appears to be the last as all of the couples who started the series are now together. I received a free copy of Motor City Mage from Netgalley.

Worldbuilding: There is a lot of new world building in Motor City Mage as Des and Lana travel in alternate realities. It is hard to tell if the world building drives the story or the story drives the world building. Either way it works and is a sign of very good writing.

Conflict:
Annie Slasher (Booked & Loaded)
Motor City Mage by Cindy Spencer Pape is the 4th installment in the Urban Arcana Series.

Des is investigating a demon created drug spilling onto the streets of Detroit. His job for the League policing paranormal’s can be a dangerous one, but it is his life. He has spent some time avoiding Lana. She is strong, bold, feisty, and damn sexy and he has a hard time thinking right when she is around. Of course, avoiding her fails and after they are approached by a demon that deepens suspicions Des has h
I found Lana to be hilarious! She is sarcastic and amusing, and doesn't let Des's disapproval get to her (on the outside, at least). I loved reading their story.

Ms. Pape has created a wonderfully paranormal Chicago that definitely beats the present one. I loved how she took a real live city and gave it a whole other magical side filled with extremely sexy men of different species (who said hot men were only human?)! It was a delightful read that got better and better as I flipped more pages. I'm
CaroleDee
ARC review through NetGalley

"There's nothing sexier than a big, bad alpha showing his vulnerable side"

For months Lana and Des have avoided the attraction between them. For a mage part of the prestigious Wyndewin League it would be professional suicide to enter a relationship with a lupine. Will they be able to resist each other, or throw the League's prejudices out the window for a chance at happiness?

Action, adventure, magic, and a forbidden love; what's not to like? The Arcana series has a def
Tahlia Newland
Here’s another great title from Carina Press, and another terrific fantasy romance from Cindy Spencer Pape. This urban fantasy should satisfy lovers of traditional fantasy as well because the story takes us through portals into totally different worlds populated by some delightfully bizarre creatures.

Des is a mage and a cop who keeps paranormals in line. The league of Mages he works for has a history of mistrust/predjudice of the other paranormals and though Des has a family who embraces the oth
April
Check out my other listens at Eargasms Audiobook Reviews

The last book in the series really brings thing together, and wraps things up beautifully. I have truly enjoyed this whole world, it is a bit sad that it is now over. Perhaps we get a jump forward in time and have the children's stories.

Lana and Des are a great pair. They are drawn to each other and have more a friends with benefits joining. The feelings develop over the extended time and tense situation they fall into. I lived their witty
Rebecca
You can also read this review at Reflections on Reading Romance

My introduction to Cindy Spencer Pape’s Urban Arcana series was through the third book in the series, Motor City Wolf, and I liked the book so much that I immediately bought the first two in the series. I’ve really enjoyed these paranormal romances set in Detroit, and I wish these books were available in print, because I suspect fans of paranormal romance would love this series. Motor City Mage is the fourth book in the series and h
Nicole
Review originally posted here: http://thebookpushers.com/2012/03/13/...

I came late to the Motor City series, but after the last book, Motor City Wolf, I feel in love with Pape and the series overall. When this book became available on NetGalley, I jumped at the chance to read it.

Des loves his job, but sometimes the older mages he works for are a stuffy bunch. They don’t like him making friends with the other supernatural forces in Detroit, despite the fact that those people are some of his best
♡ Sassy ~ Amy ♡
This was a quick read. I just forgot to leave my review a while ago.

Sooo anyway.

Des is a Mage cop who polices the paranormals. Lana is a werewolf shifter student who is always paired up with Des at all the family get togethers because both are the last single people. Well, not telling anyone, they do hook up.

Lana and Des get together with the demon Vin to find the person who is responsible for bringing in the new drug in town. And Des & Lana's relationship.

It's pretty good. I would definite
Nicole Luiken
A paranormal romance (in case you didn't pick that up from the bare-chested cover). A hot romance between a female werewolf and a mage. Good world-building, set partly in Detroit with some cool salt mines and some dangerous interdimensional travel.

I won a copy of this by commenting on a blog, got pulled in by the first chapter and broke my usual rule about reading series in order. While the author does a good job explaining what's happened in previous books, I now wish I'd started with book one,
Shelly Bell
Although I haven’t read the first three books of the series, I had no problem jumping right into the story. It helped that the hero and heroine knew each other and had sex in the first chapter. Now that’s a way to get the reader’s attention. In order to enjoy any romance, the characters need chemistry and Des and Lana have it in spades.

You don’t have to live in Michigan to enjoy this paranormal romance! For the full review, visit www.spunkybean.com/review-of-motor-ci....
Nichole ~Bookaholic~
I was very excited for Des's story and skipped the 3rd book so I could jump into this one...one of the very nice things about this series is that while they are better to read in order you are not completely lost if you don't read them in order.
I was not disappointed in this, the chemistry between Des & Lana is great...and revisiting with the other characters is always fun. Another wonderful read in this fun series.
Deena
This was a fun, lite series. I think the first one was the best, but all four were good.
Jenny
3.5 stars. I didn't read the previous books because I found out about them after I started this one, but I was able to read it just fine. I liked Motor City Mage but I felt rushed trough the whole book. Don't know exactly why but everything seemed to go a bit fast. Other than that it was a nice book. I want to read the previous books someday but I'm not in hurry.
ms bookjunkie
I really, really enjoyed this book. I mean, Underhill is old hat in this series, but the trip through the other dimensions was something else! :)
Ceola
Read5-12-12
Audio book 9-7-13
Brittney Bower
Brittney Bower marked it as to-read
Mar 11, 2015
Ymri
Ymri added it
Mar 09, 2015
Caroline Price
Caroline Price marked it as to-read
Mar 08, 2015
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 next »
  • Chain Reaction (8th Wing, #2)
  • Free Fall (My Immortals #4.5)
  • Starved for Love (Lake City Stories, #1)
  • Legacy (The League of Illusion #1)
  • Trancehack (Magic Born, #1)
  • Midnight Reckoning (Dark Dynasties #2)
  • Demon Crossings (Twilight of the Gods, #1)
  • Marked by the Moon (Nightcreature, #9)
  • Merrick's Destiny (Bloodhounds, #1.5)
  • Rogue's Pawn (Covenant of Thorns, #1)
  • Darkness Bound (Chimney Rock #1)
  • Touch of the Angel (Demons of Infernum, #3)
  • Deadly is the Kiss (Primal Instinct World, #1)
  • The Catalyst (Preternaturals, # 3)
  • Deadly Pursuit (Blood Hunter, #2)
  • Captured Heart (Highland Hearts, #1)
  • Edge of Light
  • The Darkest Day (Immortal Heat, #1)
Cindy Spencer Pape has been, among other things, a banker, a teacher, and an elected politician, though she swears she got better. She volunteers in environmental education, when she can fit it in around writing. She lives in Michigan with her husband, two teenage sons, a dog, a lizard, and various other small creatures, all of which are easier to clean up after than the three male humans.
More about Cindy Spencer Pape...

Urban Arcana (4 books)
  • Motor City Fae (Urban Arcana, #1)
  • Motor City Witch (Urban Arcana, #2)
  • Motor City Wolf (Urban Arcana, #3)
Steam & Sorcery (Gaslight Chronicles, #1) Photographs & Phantoms (Gaslight Chronicles, #2) Kilts & Kraken (Gaslight Chronicles, #3) Moonlight & Mechanicals (Gaslight Chronicles, #4) Motor City Fae (Urban Arcana, #1)