Start by marking “The Secret Files of Fairday Morrow” as Want to Read:

Fear Not the Unexpected.

Eleven-year-old Fairday Morrow is less than thrilled that her family is moving thousands of miles from civilization to the quiet country town of Ashpot, Connecticut, where she’s absolutely certain she’ll die of boredom.

As if leaving New York City and her best friend, Lizzy, the only other member of the elite Detective Mystery Squad (DMS), weren’t b
Paperback, Limited Edition, Author Illustrated Copy, 228 pages
Published (first published January 1st 2011)

Win a Copy of This Book

Release date: Dec 01, 2015
    Enter to win 1 of 5 paperback copies of The Secret File of Fairday Morrow by Jessica Haight and Stephanie Robinson.

Fear Not the Unexpected.

Eleven-ye

Giveaway ends in: a

Availability: 5 copies available, 1140 people requesting

Giveaway dates: Mar 12 - Apr 12, 2017

Countries available: US, CA, and GB more

Format: Print Book

• Friend Reviews

To ask other readers questions about The Secret Files of Fairday Morrow, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Secret Files of Fairday Morrow

Ràyëñë ŹiâÐí
    I got this book in a goodreads giveaway for my honest opinion. and here it goes:
    I at first somehow judged this book because it was directed to a younger audience and thought that i would catch the mystery in it at first thus making the rest dull BUT i couldn't be more wrong!
    The first few chapters were enticing but no sooner than Margo went into -You know what- that i was hooked my mind was buzzing the whole time with possible outcome to the story and i was guessing left and right!
    It was such an
    Karen Toz
    Jan 20, 2013 Karen Toz rated it it was amazing
    This book was so great, I honestly don't even know where to start! So let me try to break it down - the story itself had me hooked from the first page. It starts with a news article where we learn about a mysterious death which took place many years ago. Fast forward to the present, and the Morrow family is about to move into the Begonia House. A house that has not had any occupants since this mysterious death. While many kids might be spooked out by the prospect of a haunted house, young Fairda ...more
    Archit Ojha

Please make a movie out of this one.

Full review to come.
    SparksSky122
    Dec 24, 2016 SparksSky122 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
    Recommends it for: tweens who like a good mystery.
    Shelves: giveaways
    4.5 stars.
    When I won this, I wasn't expecting this to be so good. It took me a few chapters to get into this but the plot and the mystery was perfect for me. I loved the characters and the DMS! This actually made me feel scared for the characters and I had to finish once I got into the story. I was holding my breath when (view spoiler) Phew! The characters came alive for me and I'm really glad I won this
    Crowinator
    I enjoyed this quirky paranormal mystery and love the illustrations. It'll be an easy one to recommend to the upper elementary and middle school kids at the library who want something spooky but not violent.
    Cindy Mitchell
    Haight, Jessica and Robinson, Stephanie. Ill. by Roman Muradov. The Secret Files of Fairday Morrow. Pgs. 263. Penguin Random House, 2015/ $15.99. Language: G, Mature Content: G, Violence: G

Brenda
    Sep 21, 2015 Brenda rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
    Shelves: mystery
    Originally posted at Log Cabin Library
    The Secret Files of Fairday Morrow begins with Thurston Begonia taking a 30 foot fall from the third floor balcony of Begonia House. The details of his death, according to the news article at the beginning of the book, are still a mystery. Then things move forward to Fairday and her family moving into the Begonia House, which they have purchased and plan to make into a bed and breakfast. Ok, I'm hooked. I love old houses, the kind with a porch, attic, spir
    Stephanie Faris
    Dec 05, 2014 Stephanie Faris rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
    This book has everything I love in a book .It combines the spookiness of the supernatural with the suspense of a story about child detectives. I love Fairday Morrow. She's so courageous while also being realistic. The supernatural scenes are scary without being too scary for young readers. It's the perfect tween book! We'll be seeing much more of these super-talented authors in the future!
    Erik This Kid Reviews Books
    Synopsis- Fairday Morrow and her family are moving into a new house, even if Fairday doesn’t like it. It doesn’t help that their house is a supposedly haunted Victorian mansion, called the Begonia House. Apparently, there was controversy about what happened to some of the original residents. They say that the house’s builder’s daughter still haunts the house to this day. Fairday doesn’t believe. But she is curious about the mysterious red-haired lady in some old photographs. But wait – was that ...more
    Susan
    Feb 22, 2012 Susan rated it it was amazing
    I fell in love with the characters in this book from page one. Fairday and her family are unique, entertaining, and completely believable. I enjoyed getting to know Fairday, her family, Lizzy and the kids in Fairday's new school. The mystery and suspense is perfect for young readers (and even older ones like me). The writing flows and I never had to re-read or pause to figure out what was going on. I love that the story is easy to read and understand and yet written in such a way that kids ages ...more
    Mary
    Mar 04, 2012 Mary rated it really liked it
    Eleven-year-old Fairday Morrow has low expectations when her parents decide to move from Manhattan to Ashpot, Connecticut--all because her mom feels that some renovating a nasty old house will boost her design career. For a budding detective, however, the old Begonia House proves to be a goldmine. Fairday immediately finds herself immersed in the old mysteries of the home. With her sidekick, best friend, and fellow DMS (Detective Mystery Squad) member, Lizzy, plus new recruit Marcus, Fairday set ...more
    Bish Denham
    I've been wanting to read this for a while and was not disappointed.

Fairday Morrow is not happy about moving with her family from the city to the country. Her best friend Lizzy, and fellow mystery solver, is a whole hour away! But the minute Fairday steps into the old spooky house her parent's have bought to turn into a guest house, she knows there's a mystery to solved. Plus, it doesn't take her any time to make friends with Marcus, a boy at her new school. When Lizzy comes to visit over a wee
    Tracy Terry
    Jan 07, 2013 Tracy Terry rated it it was amazing
    Aimed at American middle grade readers (10 to 13 year olds), as an older, a much older reader I was surprised by just how much I found myself enjoying The Secret DMS (Detective Mystery Squad) Files of (11 year old) Fairday Morrow.

Creatively and intelligently written I found myself instantly engaged in the adventures of Fairday, Lizzy and, latest recruit, Marcus 'Brocket the Rocket'.

Delighted that the authors had such a strong and entertaining female lead in Fairday as opposed to the more typical
    Patty
    Mar 19, 2012 Patty rated it it was amazing
    It is beautifully written and delightfully engaging.  The story is quite mysteriously mischievous and easy to follow.  Middle graders will love these characters. They are all quite interesting.  I love Fairday and her baby sister Margo.  I love her best buddy Lizzy and new friend Marcus.

And their adventure was spot on.  Fairday's family moves to a new house that is old and unique.  It has lots of hidden rooms and one amazing mirror that lead to an amazing adventure.  Some surprising adventures w
    Claudine Yanting
    C. McKenzie
    Feb 03, 2015 C. McKenzie rated it it was amazing
    Ashpot, Connecticut is nothing like Manhattan--nothing at all. In Ashpot there's The Begonia House with its decades old mystery of a vanished bride and a death that has never been explained.

Fairday Morrow, Lizzy and Marcus collaborate as the DMS (Detective Mystery Squad) carefully gathering and connecting the clues, hoping they'll be able to solve the mysteries of this spooky, magical place.

Kids are going to cheer on the DMS in moments of danger and downright scariness. They're going to enjoy th
    C. McKenzie
    Feb 03, 2015 C. McKenzie rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition

Peg
    Feb 25, 2016 Peg rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
    A middle grade mystery with a touch of haunting thrown in. Add some serious child detectives (DMS), detective mystery squad, and you have the makings of a great book along with the start of a good series (I hope) with a sound following. The book had me from the start and flowed along never letting the adventure wane. Well written for both boys and girls with everything they would want - mystery, adventure, a haunted house, and a great ending.
    Donna
    Dec 10, 2012 Donna rated it it was amazing
    A fantastic book for kids of all ages. This book has everything a kid could want in a story! Adventure, strange old house with eerie sounds and strange happenings, good friends, and a detective agency! The characters are delightful and entertaining.
    This is a story that will be enjoyed by both boys and girls!

Hopefully, the authors will write more!
    Emma
    Nov 12, 2016 Emma rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
    I won this book in a Goodreads giveaway.

This book had a good premise, but I felt it went a little too quickly for the first half. I liked the second half a lot better because there was a lot of development in the mystery and it did not feel rushed and solved so quickly. The characters were likable and would be relatable to middle schoolers.
    Ronald Gordon
    Dec 28, 2015 Ronald Gordon rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
    A fun mystery for kids and adults. Lots of suspense that kept me turning the pages and just the right amount of scary. The characters are fun- especially the DMS crew.
    Tena
    Jul 29, 2012 Tena rated it really liked it
    I am very happy to have had the opportunity to read this entire book!! I hope a sequel is coming soon!!
    Secundra
    Jan 31, 2016 Secundra rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
    It's going to be a series!!! YahOOOOOOOO!!!!
    The Keepers of the Books
    When 11-year-old, Fairday Morrow moves to Ashpot, Connecticut from Manhattan, she expects it to be dull and uninteresting. That is, until, she finds within the Begonia House, her creepy new Victorian home, with dark passageways, a dead gigantic willow tree, and lots of mysteries. Before she can finish unpacking, she starts hearing a mysterious sound coming from a padlocked door. When she manages to open it, she finds an ancient mirror, a brass key, a curious portrait of a red-haired lady, and a ...more
    Mehsi
    Wow. Wow. Wow, this even better than I had hoped, and I already had high hopes for this book.

Sure, there were elements I didn't expect, the magical part especially, and I was worried for a bit it might turn out to be not fitting, but oh no, the contrary happened, the magic fitted like a pair of shiny red sneakers. :P

It all starts as Fairday T Morrow (yes, that is her name, and boy I wish I had such an awesome name) moves with her parents to a new home, not that far from where she used to live, b
    Angela
    Feb 15, 2017 Angela rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
    I got this book in a Goodreads giveaway i thought it was a nice read for children. A real page turner!
    Beverly McClure
    Nov 25, 2015 Beverly McClure rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
    Moving to a different house in a new town and leaving behind dear friends is rough on anyone. It’s especially tough for children, who also have to start a new school where they don’t know anyone.

In THE SECRET FILES OF FAIRDAY MORROW, a novel for middle grade readers, by Jessica Haight and Stephanie Robinson, Fairday Morrow faces such a situation. She’s not very happy about moving, either. The house, known as Begonia House, is old and decrepit. Even though her parents are going to renovate the p
    Kurt Chambers
    Feb 14, 2017 Kurt Chambers rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
    This was a great, well written story that will appeal to any children (and big adult type children) who love a good mystery story. It has very real, likeable characters that embark on a scary adventure (but not too scary) to discover the strange goings-on in a manor steeped in mystery. It is a real fun read and will keep you guessing all the way to the end.

There are a few scatterings of wonderfully drawn illustrations throughout the book that will help fire up the imagination of the younger read
    Donna Galanti
    Jan 08, 2016 Donna Galanti rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
    What a fun mystery adventure with a dash of supernatural for kids and grown-ups alike to enjoy! Spunky Fairday Morrow is a good friend full of pluck and curiosity, who stands up for what she believes in and has no time for bullies. Each chapter’s cliffhanger ending raises questions that draws you deeper into the mystery connecting Fairday to Begonia House, the rambling, spooky home her parents plan to turn into a bed and breakfast.

Fairday soon enlists friends in the kids-only Detective Mystery S
    Nikki
    Dec 21, 2016 Nikki rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
    Shelves: children-s-books
    I received this book through Goodreads Giveaways.

I love this book. It is targeted towards upper elementary or lower middle school. I read this book in one day. It was really that good. A girl moved into a house which had a mysterious past which she decides to solve with the help of her friends. The book was suspenseful and very cute. I would definitely recommend it.
    « previous 1 3 4 5 next »
    • The Maypop Kidnapping
    • Madhattan Mystery
    • Lantern Sam and the Blue Streak Bandits
    • Behind the Canvas
    • The Case of the Missing Moonstone (The Wollstonecraft Detective Agency, #1)
    • The Door by the Staircase
    • A Most Magical Girl
    • Anyone But Ivy Pocket
    • Shadows of the Silver Screen (Twelve Minutes to Midnight, #2)
    • The Book of Bad Things
    • Great Ball of Light
    • Ms. Rapscott's Girls
    • Beth's Story, 1914 (Secrets of the Manor, #1)
    • Warren the 13th and The All-Seeing Eye
    • Confessions of an Imaginary Friend
    • The Curse of the Pharaoh (Agatha, Girl of Mystery #1)
    • Zombie Mommy (Pals in Peril, #5)
    • Grave Images
    Jessica is a true New Englander, with a deep desire to be near the ocean and a love of the four seasons. She enjoys drawing while standing up and cultivating magic in her garden. She easily floats away in the pages of a good story and is still waiting for her owl from Hogwarts. Jessica lives in Connecticut with her charming fiancé, James.
    More about Jessica Haight...