Start by marking “September Rain” as Want to Read:
September Rain

September Rain

They slit his throat but he lived. That's what the townspeople said about the reclusive man they called Crazy Jake. When Jacob Chandler saved Hallie Greer from an attacker and was beaten half to death for his trouble, Hallie can't rest until she makes sure he's all right.

Hallie travels up a treacherous mountain trail to a treeline cabin. What she finds there is danger, my
Published December 9th 2011

To ask other readers questions about September Rain, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about September Rain

Beauty by Robin McKinleyLord of Scoundrels by Loretta ChaseBeastly by Alex FlinnWhen Beauty Tamed the Beast by Eloisa JamesLover Awakened by J.R. Ward
Beauty and the Beast
331st out of 414 books — 1,371 voters
Eyes of Silver, Eyes of Gold by Ellen O'ConnellAnnie's Song by Catherine AndersonComanche Moon by Catherine AndersonTexas Destiny by Lorraine HeathThe Texan's Wager by Jodi Thomas
Favorite Historical Western Romance Novels
369th out of 449 books — 904 voters

More lists with this book...

Preeti S
That's it?!
By the time I settled in for a read and my coffee, it had ended!!
And so much potential too. . . a sweet, warm hearted, chatterbox of a h, a seriously hot, brooding, tortured H, an isolated cabin, amazing chemistry, a good backstory, a hateful villain and it ends in short and sweet 7 chapters.
Not fair!
Jenny
Aug 16, 2016 Jenny rated it really liked it
Shelves: heroine-i-adore
Sweet fast read! Compassionate loving heroine brings back to life widowed brooding hero!!!
Chantal
Vintage
Novella in the vein of Eyes of Silver, Eyes of Gold. A simple story that essentially hinges on one episode.

Fleshed out this would have been much better, but I will take a look at her other books.

Addendum:
For some reason, I kept hearing Guns N' Roses throughout the book. Turns out that's November Rain. Not the same kind of rain.

Celestine
Apr 08, 2015 Celestine rated it it was amazing
I am always on the lookout for a well-written western romance, and I hit the jackpot with this little gem. I think it is difficult to combine the elements of a period plotline, interesting and heart-wrenching characters, decent suspense and romantic tension and wrap-it up in a short story. Mallory Kane managed to do this very well in the 63-page-long September Rain.

Jacob "Crazy Jake" Chandler and general store-owner Hallie Greer have a very sweet exchange, which can't even be termed a flirtatio
Aayesha Khatri
Ohh this was such a sweet, wonderful book! I absolutely loved it! I loved Hallie and the tender way she takes care of Jacob and I loved Jacob in all his fierceness and pain. A perfect love story, exactly the kind I like.

What I didn't like about the book was that the author made the falling-in-love part a bit unbelievable. It was too fast. And I have a few other complaints about the author's writing, but at the moment, I don't care. She wrote one hell of a story.
Jacquie Talento
Feb 25, 2012 Jacquie Talento rated it it was amazing
What a cute story this was. Life hands us some pretty crumby deals but the two characters in this found a way to make it a happier place for them. Neither one was looking for anything but found everything.
Mariluz
Jun 17, 2014 Mariluz rated it liked it
I read this book today because I saw it was short and the title interested me. I was very pleased to read about Crazy Jack and how he received a second chance at love after his wife was brutally murdered. The story was short and kept my eyes glued to the book!
Leyns
Aug 16, 2016 Leyns rated it liked it

A very short, sweet romance. Things happened very quickly. I don't know if I'd recommend this to anyone but it was an okay way to pass a few minutes.
Joy
Jun 22, 2013 Joy rated it it was ok

Short at 63 pages, sweet and somewhat amusing.

Hallie certainly does have a thing about being a plain spinsterish old maid at 29 doesn’t she? Well over the hill at that age and what a chatterbox.

Sweet. Unknown to Hallie, Crazy Jack has been watching over her for some months because she's the only one who's shown him any kindness when he's come down the mountain for supplies.

Crazy Jack is not crazy at all just immobilised in grief when his wife was murdered in front of him and he survived the or
Lillie
Jun 19, 2014 Lillie rated it really liked it
A sweet, touching romance about two damaged, lonely people who heal each other's pain.
Bethany Swafford
Jun 19, 2016 Bethany Swafford rated it it was ok
Shelves: kindle
When Hallie realizes 'Crazy' Jake's injuries, inflicted when he saved her from an attacker, were not cared for before he returned home, she sets off to make sure he is alright.

quite honestly, I was not impressed at all with this novella. Classified as a historical story, I struggled to place it anywhere in history. The repetition of certain phrases, such as Hallie's insistence that she is a spinster and too old to think about marriage at the age of 28, grated on my nerves. Plot-wise, it was rat
Deljah
Apr 01, 2014 Deljah rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2014-reads
3.5 stars. Enjoyed this short historical.
Ginger
SIGH! I really enjoyed this free short story which I downloaded a couple years back. Hallie Greer is 29 (considered a spinster for that era). Jacob Chandler (Crazy Jake) is a widower living up in the mountains away from town after his wife & unborn child were murdered and he was left for dead. During an incident one evening, Jacob comes to Hallie's rescue. All I can say is I wish I were Hallie! If I lived back in those days, I would definitely want a Jacob of my own!
Libby
Nov 11, 2012 Libby rated it liked it
Would have been easy to expand on this subject. There were plenty of opportunities for more detail and drama. Started off well but the ending seemed rushed.

The biggest let down for me was the female lead character continuously refering to herself as an "old, plain spinster" and worse than that the male lead character never disagreed...if I could I would have slapped him! If he had of disagreed just once the romance would have been more believable and enjoyable.
LadyCalico
Feb 23, 2012 LadyCalico rated it it was amazing
I was very moved by this short, sad, and sweet novella about love finding its way into the damaged hearts of a lonely spinster, and an emotionally crippled widower. The characters were so authentic and well-developed that I just wish it had been a longer story.
SheLove2Read
Mar 02, 2012 SheLove2Read rated it it was ok
Shelves: 2012
This had potential but the heroine quickly got on my nerves. If she said she was a plain spinster one time, she said it ELEVENTY BILLION times!! I get it - you're plain and old. Whatever.

C- for the heroine
Alison
Feb 25, 2016 Alison marked it as to-read
kindle 63 (chic Lit)
SandraE
Feb 25, 2012 SandraE rated it really liked it
Shelves: kindle
A good short story with well thought out characters and a little bit of peril to spice up the story.
Greycat
Apr 04, 2013 Greycat rated it did not like it
Shelves: read-2013
Good candidate for most annoying heroine ever. Only a guy known as Crazy Jake would offer marriage...
Alexisa
Jul 22, 2013 Alexisa rated it liked it
short doesn't mean without substance. would have loved for it to be longer.
Brenda
Apr 02, 2012 Brenda rated it it was amazing
Loved it just wish it were longer!
KK
Mar 23, 2012 KK rated it liked it
Very quick, easy, enjoyable read.
Emmy
Jun 21, 2013 Emmy rated it really liked it
**3.5**
Nina
Nina added it
Sep 22, 2016
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 next »
Bestselling romantic suspense author Mallory Kane has published 38 Harlequin Intrigues and several indie projects including two western historical romance novellas and a short contemporary romance. She comes from a long line of southern storytellers and librarians and loves hearing from her readers.

When she's not writing, Mallory loves designing steampunk and one-of-a-kind jewelry using broken vin
More about Mallory Kane...