Start by marking “Urban Agriculture: Ideas and Designs for the New Food Revolution” as Want to Read:
Blank 133x176
Urban Agriculture: Ide...

David Tracey

Urban Agriculture: Ideas and Designs for the New Food Revolution

You don't have to journey to a rural paradise to find the farm of the future. It's your neighbors suburban lawn, the roof of your uptown condominium, or the co-op market garden in the vacant lot down the street. Urban Agriculture is a detailed look at how food is taking root in our cities. It offers inspirational advice and working examples to help you dig in and become mo ...more
Published April 1st 2011 by New Society Publishers

To ask other readers questions about Urban Agriculture, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Urban Agriculture

Melissa
Mar 01, 2009 Melissa rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: political, gardening
This is a really entertaining, useful and important read. Tracey packs in loads of landscaping/gardening tips, political tidbits, advice on how to deal with city officials, and other essential know-how for the guerrilla gardener. The Q&A's with practicing guerrillas are very inspiring and instructive, and it's hard not to get the urge to start planting anywhere and everywhere after reading this book.

I also appreciated Tracey's discussion on "to ask or not to ask for permission," and I thoug
Tracy
May 17, 2011 Tracy rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: homesteading
The author is very passionate about urban farming, which is a good thing, but if you have decided to read this, you probably don't need a lecture on why you should be growing food in the city. Some good examples of city gardens but not enough usful information to go along with all of the conviction that the author has. City Farmer by Lorraine Johnson was better
Missy
Apr 09, 2012 Missy rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: nonfiction, gardening
Most of the book is a case for why people can & should grow their own food. For those of us who already buy into that way of thinking this book doesnt have much "how to" information.
Megan
Learning about growing our own food seems more important than ever and this book has a really good summary of many approaches to doing just that. From growing herbs on your windowsill to encouraging neighbors to participate in a community garden or even an urban farm, this book has great information to get you started. I bought it soon after reading the library copy and look forward to using it to share my love for urban agriculture.
josh
Sep 01, 2011 josh rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: environmentalists, urban agriculturists, community activists, etc...
Recommended to josh by: saw it on the shelf @ UAPL
another excellent urban agriculture book! this is not at all the 1st urban / organic ag book I've read this year, but it certainly was enjoyable. Tracey presents a number of options for people with and without land. utilizing public spaces, co-ops, window units, aquaponic setups, asking neighbors to use part of their land in exchange for part of the harvest.... the potentials are limited only by the creativity of the farmer. the author limits his discussion on how to grow and instead focuses on ...more
Tracy
Feb 22, 2012 Tracy rated it liked it
Shelves: cities, ebooks, nonfiction
I got the Kindle edition via NYPL, didn't get sucked in enough to finish it. Sure, I had other stuff distracting me, but mostly I think the problem was that I didn't run into anything exciting and new enough to keep me reading. I wasn't so turned off that I'm ruling out giving it another try, but... yeah.

Update, 11 March 2012: turns out I can keep library ebooks past their due date if I don't sync my phone or read where there's data service, mwa ha ha! So I finished this after all, and there wer
Kelly Lynn Thomas
This book is much more philosophical than its title had me thinking. There are some good ideas in here, but most of the space is taken up by arguments trying to convince you why urban agriculture is the savior of our future, and not so much by HOW to actually go about growing in the city.

And that in and of itself isn't bad, but when part of those arguments are made up of: "I've heard this thing is great but I haven't tried it myself so I dunno?" I have trouble accepting any of the info.
Brooke
Jan 20, 2013 Brooke rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
As a beginner I did pick up a few tips in this book but nothing like what I was hoping for, which was a more in depth, "how-to", look at growing and getting started with gardening in the city. Most of the time I was just put off by all the extra commentary. The writer could have done a much better job at not politicizing his views and instead making this a handy, easy to use, resourceful book.
Ricky
I'm a farmer, and the organization I work for, Growing Power, is mentioned several times here. Still, despite that flattery, I wasn't all that impressed. It might be a fun book for beginners, but I found that Tracey adds too much "fluff" - too much pointless commentary that wasn't even very funny. I did learn a few things, and I did get a few ideas for the garden Jo and I plant. So that's nice.
Dean P.
Jul 24, 2009 Dean P. rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: nonfiction
Tracey brings a fun, sometimes tongue-in-cheek tone to the topic that he embraced years ago. It is a political "hot topic" in some senses and Tracey accomplishes the heady task of speaking to those with a variety of comfort levels with guerrilla gardening. Definitely one I will recommend to many friends.
Susan
This book is chock full of useful advice and information, stories from and about guerrilla gardeners, and anecdotes. Tracey writes with a matter of fact style that contains little zings of the wry sense of humour that is developed by someone who has 'been there'.

Overall an informative and enjoyable read.
Frank
Sep 24, 2008 Frank rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Fantastic book. Weaves ecology and politics together and has a load of fun doing it. I laughed more times reading this book than I can remember.

But most of all it's inspiring. We can change the screwed-up world one seed at a time. Now I'm a guerrilla gardening too and I can hardly wait to plant something.
Terry Megeney
Jan 05, 2014 Terry Megeney rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Not much here unless you have a backyard. I picked up one idea about a way to recycle pop bottles, but its nothing that I could not have found on the Internet. Not too much here really. Didn't so much read it as skim through it looking for ideas and finding...few. Probably better suited for someone in the southern U.S.
Shawn
Jul 01, 2012 Shawn rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
this was a great overview to what is going on in the urban agriculture movements it was inspiring and informative. The only problem was it only touched the surface of so many topics fun to read but if you really want to learn how to grow food pick a different book,
Chad
Mar 27, 2008 Chad rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: DIY (sub)urban planners and green-thumbed anarchists.
Recommended to Chad by: Jennifer
Very funny and easy-to-read. Would be entertaining even to people uninterested in gardening. Even though the attitude is tongue in cheek, it provides very realistic ideas about how to deal with a blighted landscape.
Cassandra
This book is a great source to start with. It gives alot of reasons why you should start a garden. Pumps you up to start your own garden, not too many tips tho.
Christy M
Nov 19, 2013 Christy M rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Read this in one sitting. Couldn't put it down.
Elizabeth Hills
Best gardening book I've read so far. Definite must have for library.
Kayla
Mar 08, 2016 Kayla rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Great information for people living on the city side.
Hope Struck
Lexie got me this for Christmas, when she was scouting sites for her wedding to my brother--and I can't freakin wait to read it.
Jane
Sep 16, 2012 Jane rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Books on gardening should feature lots of colour photos. This book had few pictures and they were all black and white.

The book may have planted a seed though...
Khristiey
Khristiey rated it really liked it
Jan 02, 2012
finn seedpony
finn seedpony rated it liked it
May 04, 2008
Layne
Layne rated it liked it
Jun 16, 2014
Deborah Sexton
Deborah Sexton rated it it was amazing
Oct 06, 2013
Jennifer rated it really liked it
May 10, 2010
Megan C
Mar 16, 2011 Megan C rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: non-fiction
Niiice
Lauren
Lauren rated it it was amazing
Jan 28, 2011
Hector Rios
Hector Rios rated it it was amazing
May 06, 2015
Veronika Mettus
Veronika Mettus rated it it was amazing
Mar 07, 2013
« previous 1 3 4 next »
separating books 1 1 Feb 12, 2017 09:58AM
  • On Guerrilla Gardening: The Why, What, and How of Cultivating Neglected Public Space
  • Holy Shit: Managing Manure To Save Mankind
  • Food Not Lawns: How to Turn Your Yard Into a Garden and Your Neighborhood Into a Community
  • Toolbox for Sustainable City Living: A Do-It-Ourselves Guide
  • The New Seed-Starter's Handbook
  • The Soul of Soil: A Soil-Building Guide for Master Gardeners and Farmers
  • Edible Forest Gardens, Volume 2: Ecological Design and Practice for Temperate Climate Permaculture
  • Life in the Soil: A Guide for Naturalists and Gardeners
  • What's Wrong With My Plant? (And How Do I Fix It?): A Visual Guide to Easy Diagnosis and Organic Remedies
  • Sharing the Harvest: A Citizen's Guide to Community Supported Agriculture
  • Eliot Coleman's Winter Harvest Handbook: Four Season Vegetable Production for the 21st Century
  • The Apple Grower: A Guide for the Organic Orchardist
  • One Magic Square: The Easy, Organic Way to Grow Your Own Food on a 3-Foot Square
  • Greenhouse Gardener's Companion, Revised: Growing Food  Flowers in Your Greenhouse or Sunspace
  • Creating a Forest Garden: Working with Nature to Grow Edible Crops
  • Backyard Orchardist: A Complete Guide to Growing Fruit Trees in the Home Garden
  • The One-Straw Revolution
Writer, designer, community ecologist.
More about David Tracey...