Start by marking “Catla and the Vikings” as Want to Read:
Catla and the Vikings

Catla and the Vikings

3.03 of 5 stars 3.03  ·  rating details  ·  36 ratings  ·  9 reviews
In the fall of 1066, a thirteen-year-old Anglo-Saxon girl named Catla watches from afar as Viking raiders burn her village and imprison her family and the other villagers. No one sees her as she flees toward Aigber, the closest village, praying the people there will help.
Catla must ignore her terror as she makes her way to the standing stones, a place of refuge, where sh
Published March 2012 by Orca Book Publishers (first published January 1st 2012)

To ask other readers questions about Catla and the Vikings, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Catla and the Vikings

The simplicity of the book excludes it from the "gripping read" category, yet it also dodges so many tiresome cliches. It doesn't present history as a time when women were completely subjugated, romance as either a goal or some strange drug to turn sensible girls into ninnies, nor emotion as the only driving force of a young person. The story is largely drama-free but solid and grounded.

The year is 1066 and the story includes enough details to be believable. It's not a textbook and doesn't overl
Thirteen-year-old Catla is an Anglo-Saxon girl living in England in the fall of 1066. Life in her small, isolated village has been peaceful for many years. Catla's biggest worry is her possible marriage to Olav, a much older merchant that Catla doesn't like. Her father will only change his mind about the marriage if Catla gives him a good reason why she shouldn't marry Olav. Catla is taking a walk to think about her dilemma when Viking raiders suddenly attack her village without warning.

As the o
The story takes place in 1066 with Catla who witnesses a Viking attack on her village. She is able to evade capture and sets off to another village to get help. Facing her fears and meeting another villager on the way she finds strength that she didn't know she had. Can they rescue her village in time?

This story was horribly flat to me. I loved the idea and the whole "coming of age in a tragedy" theme. However, the text was so stilted and lifeless. It lacked the depth of other novels of similar
Cynthia Egbert
This author obviously knows her stuff and if you want to give your young person a taste of what it was like to live in England around the time of the battle of Hastings, this is a good read. She especially won my heart by referencing BOTH Boudicca and Aethelflaed. Also, she scored points by using the name Egbert in her narrative as the name of a little boy. King Egbert was the first "king" of England and it was nice to have his name slipped in there, made me smile.
not the best book I've ever read... but the plot is captivating and the characters felt real. A bit disappointed by the ending though.
Curtis Gladen
Perhaps young readers fiction, but I thoroughly enjoyed the book. Recommended for all readers as far as I am concerned. Read it. You will be transported to another time , another place.
Kara Ripley
The plot was interesting enough, but I just didn't connect with any characters.
A bit boring for a so-called adventure set in one of my favorite time periods.
Quick read but very good.
Courtney Umlauf
Courtney Umlauf marked it as to-read
Oct 02, 2015
Latia marked it as to-read
Sep 15, 2015
Nessa marked it as to-read
Aug 18, 2015
Danielle Rodda
Danielle Rodda marked it as to-read
May 24, 2015
Micki Levin
Micki Levin marked it as to-read
Apr 10, 2015
Chloe added it
Dec 31, 2014
Erin marked it as to-read
May 17, 2014
Lavie added it
Apr 04, 2014
Amber marked it as to-read
Mar 23, 2014
Stephanie marked it as to-read
Dec 20, 2013
Keda marked it as to-read
Oct 27, 2013