Start by marking “Catla and the Vikings” as Want to Read:
Catla and the Vikings

Catla and the Vikings

In the fall of 1066, a thirteen-year-old Anglo-Saxon girl named Catla watches from afar as Viking raiders burn her village and imprison her family and the other villagers. No one sees her as she flees toward Aigber, the closest village, praying the people there will help.
Catla must ignore her terror as she makes her way to the standing stones, a place of refuge, where sh
Published March 2012 by Orca Book Publishers (first published January 1st 2012)

To ask other readers questions about Catla and the Vikings, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Catla and the Vikings

Deborah
Jan 23, 2014 Deborah rated it liked it
Shelves: reviewed, 2014
The simplicity of the book excludes it from the "gripping read" category, yet it also dodges so many tiresome cliches. It doesn't present history as a time when women were completely subjugated, romance as either a goal or some strange drug to turn sensible girls into ninnies, nor emotion as the only driving force of a young person. The story is largely drama-free but solid and grounded.

The year is 1066 and the story includes enough details to be believable. It's not a textbook and doesn't overl
Rebecca
Thirteen-year-old Catla is an Anglo-Saxon girl living in England in the fall of 1066. Life in her small, isolated village has been peaceful for many years. Catla's biggest worry is her possible marriage to Olav, a much older merchant that Catla doesn't like. Her father will only change his mind about the marriage if Catla gives him a good reason why she shouldn't marry Olav. Catla is taking a walk to think about her dilemma when Viking raiders suddenly attack her village without warning.

As the o
Val
Sep 18, 2012 Val rated it it was ok
The story takes place in 1066 with Catla who witnesses a Viking attack on her village. She is able to evade capture and sets off to another village to get help. Facing her fears and meeting another villager on the way she finds strength that she didn't know she had. Can they rescue her village in time?

This story was horribly flat to me. I loved the idea and the whole "coming of age in a tragedy" theme. However, the text was so stilted and lifeless. It lacked the depth of other novels of similar
Tiffany
Mar 14, 2016 Tiffany rated it it was ok
Shelves: fiction
Story was ok. It was quite short and simple so it made for a light read. I don't feel like I connected with any of the characters, probably due to the simplicity. I don't have criticism for the story aside from overuse of the phrase "Nord-devils" to describe the Norsemen.
Janaya
May 27, 2014 Janaya rated it liked it
not the best book I've ever read... but the plot is captivating and the characters felt real. A bit disappointed by the ending though.
Cynthia Egbert
Oct 11, 2014 Cynthia Egbert rated it liked it
This author obviously knows her stuff and if you want to give your young person a taste of what it was like to live in England around the time of the battle of Hastings, this is a good read. She especially won my heart by referencing BOTH Boudicca and Aethelflaed. Also, she scored points by using the name Egbert in her narrative as the name of a little boy. King Egbert was the first "king" of England and it was nice to have his name slipped in there, made me smile.
Curtis Gladen
Dec 04, 2013 Curtis Gladen rated it it was amazing
Perhaps young readers fiction, but I thoroughly enjoyed the book. Recommended for all readers as far as I am concerned. Read it. You will be transported to another time , another place.
Kara Ripley
Oct 11, 2012 Kara Ripley rated it it was ok
The plot was interesting enough, but I just didn't connect with any characters.
Katie
Jul 28, 2012 Katie rated it it was ok
A bit boring for a so-called adventure set in one of my favorite time periods.
Jill
Oct 03, 2013 Jill rated it it was amazing
Quick read but very good.
Mallory
Mallory rated it it was ok
Sep 23, 2016
Tamra
Tamra marked it as to-read
Aug 21, 2016
Julia
Julia rated it did not like it
Aug 20, 2016
Carmelita
Carmelita rated it liked it
Aug 10, 2016
Rafiq
Rafiq marked it as to-read
Jun 15, 2016
Elissa
Elissa marked it as to-read
Jun 07, 2016
Asteropê
Asteropê marked it as to-read
Apr 27, 2016
Bev
Bev rated it liked it
Mar 14, 2016
Alayna Mitchell
Alayna Mitchell marked it as to-read
Mar 14, 2016
Tonya Neepa
Tonya Neepa rated it did not like it
Jan 22, 2016
Deb
Deb rated it really liked it
Jan 13, 2016
Jessica
Jessica marked it as to-read
Dec 29, 2015
Judy VanNewkirk
Judy VanNewkirk rated it really liked it
Dec 18, 2015
Courtney Umlauf
Courtney Umlauf marked it as to-read
Oct 02, 2015
Latia
Latia marked it as to-read
Sep 15, 2015
Nessa
Nessa marked it as to-read
May 15, 2016
Danielle Rodda
Danielle Rodda marked it as to-read
May 24, 2015
Micki Levin
Micki Levin marked it as to-read
Apr 10, 2015