Start by marking “I cavalieri divini del vudù” as Want to Read:
I cavalieri divini del vudù

I cavalieri divini del vudù

4.35 of 5 stars 4.35  ·  rating details  ·  369 ratings  ·  27 reviews
Includes photographs and drawings. Foreword by Joseph Campbell This is the classic, intimate study, movingly written with the special insight of direct encounter, which was first published in 1953 by the fledgling Thames & Hudson firm in a series edited by Joseph Campbell. Maya Deren's Divine Horsemen is recognized throughout the world as a primary source book on the c ...more
Published January 1st 1997 by Il Saggiatore (first published 1953)

To ask other readers questions about I cavalieri divini del vudù, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about I cavalieri divini del vudù

aya
Jun 10, 2010 aya rated it 5 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: anyone interested in sociology and/or religion, Haiti, Voudoun
Even if this were just a straightforward overview of Haitian Voudoun, it would be amazing. Maya Deren obviously did a vast amount of research to accompany her "fieldwork" in Haiti, which included becoming an accepted member of a Haitian village. She knows what she's talking about.
In addition to this are her incredibly intelligent observations of how Voudoun shapes each Haitian village, the differences between "primitive" and "modern" religions and how that changes its society and vice versa. De
Brian
This seems like a book to re-read several times before it's truly absorbed. Deren's astonishingly passionate openness to difference, in people and belief systems, coupled with no small measure of ego, produced this fascinating (1953) ethnographic account of her travels to Haiti, and her immersion in Voudoun spiritual practices. 60 years after its initial publication, this remains one of the best ethnographies of Haitian spiritual practices.

I'm an atheist with a deep fascination for the way peopl
Alexandra
Brilliant, sensitive ethnography of Haitian VouDoun gods and practices by Maya Deren, an experimental filmmaker of the 1940's and 1950's. Deren's fresh, intellectual yet non-academic treatment of VouDoun has kept me up past my bedtime all week reading about the loa, possession by gods, magic, zombies and the synthesis of African and West Indian religious beliefs and practices into modern day Hatian VouDoun. Excellent reading!!!
Derek Fenner
I now realize that Deren is in my lineage---possession poetics. Coupling this book with her films made for the the complete transformation between performance, ritual, and art. This book will have me focusing for some time on what it means to be in public space performing my work(s)/world(s).
Eric
Oct 28, 2008 Eric rated it 5 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: musicians, dancers, spiritualists
Recommended to Eric by: the holographic universe
Sharon
Dense, thoughtful, and thoroughly-researched, Maya Deren's 1953 exploration of Vodou remains one of the definitive texts on the subject. The book describes the African and American roots of a religion that is often dismissed as sensationalist "magic." It attempts to explain the complex ways that Vodou affects the Haitian worldview, describes how Vodou emerged and coalesced, and explores the ways that Haitians practice Vodou in the mid-20th century.

A pioneer of American avant-garde cinema, Deren
S Suzanne
This amazing classic is probably one of the best and certainly most respectful writings about Haitian Voudoun ever written.

Maya Deren was a renaissance woman, the grandmother of independent film (look up her short works on YouTube - she is amazingly influential to this day)
she was also an intellectual and film theorist.

While she was in Haiti filming the dances, she became embroiled and converted. She is cerebral, but subjective in her writing, speaking to what moves her about this religion. Der
Eyre
For years I only knew of Maya Deren as a dancer-filmmaker so I was surprised when I came across this book in a Haitian-owned Voodoo/Yoruba store in Brooklyn. It was the only book they sold which had been authored by a Westerner, so I assume that Deren's initiation into Voodoun was at least partially authentic; her accounts are definitely thorough. Not a sensational text at all--in fact, the opposite, very technical. The intro by Joseph Campbell is a good read too. As an artist, it is interesting ...more
Jody Mena
Amazing, in depth look at the culture, belief and practice of Haitian Voudou, unique in that it comes from the perspective of an artist rather than a scientist; Maya Deren's words are not clinical as she describes what she witnessed and experienced, but designed as only an artist can to stimulate the emotions and imagination. What a beautiful book, it's one of my new favorites! I couldn't put it down!
Francesca
After seeing Jo Ann Kaplan's wonderful documentary 'Invocation: Maya Deren' at the BFI last night, I was reminded of this beautifully-written & fascinating book. I read about a third of it when writing a dissertation on Deren and had to stop myself in order to carry on with my other research - it was that gripping.
Beth
An interesting look at Haitian Vodou beliefs. This book not only details the major lwa (spirits) and the structure of worship, but also attempts to explain the roots of Vodou belief and how Vodou continues to inform/shape Haitian culture. Definitely worth a read if you enjoy learning about religions and/or Haiti.
Palma
This book is very well written. I enjoyed the documentary based on the book,too. I found it to be a bit too academic and a bit boring in some parts. I am struggling to finish the last few chapter as it started out good but not as good towards to the end. Don't know if I'll bother.
Cat
Jan 06, 2008 Cat rated it 3 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: those looking for an intro to voodoo.
Recommended to Cat by: no one.
Shelves: truecrime
Who knew voodoo could be so incredibly boring? Maybe it's Deren's writing style, which approximates that of an insecure graduate student- i found myself skipping entire pages of hemming and hawing. It is a good introduction to the subject.
Jessica
Part of my issue with this book is that it did not teach me about CNF, and we were all crabby about it in class. It reads like a dictionary of voodoo tradition, which is interesting but the style and tone of the book is DULL!
Iso Cambia
May 03, 2011 Iso Cambia rated it 3 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: ethnomusicologists
I've been researching cultural considerations one would take with a Haitian client in a music therapy setting, and this is a wonderful resource for Voudou concepts. Haven't read it all... but enough to get some learnin' started.
Katie
An entryway for those coming from Western belief structures to understand Haitian Voudoun. Full of drawings, pictures and charts that were helpful for me to gain access to Deren's philosophy-heavy writing.
Lynette
Wonderful anthropological insight into voodoo in Haiti. Fascinating material from a classic text. Well worth reading if you are interested.
Marie-Eve
One of the bases of my Master's degree memoir.

Incredible book, especially if you have also seen the movie Divine Horsemen by Maya Deren.
Sam
Jan 21, 2009 Sam marked it as to-read  ·  review of another edition
I've been meaning to read this for awhile. I'm curious about her writing, and on such a fascinating subject.
Travis Shores
The most comprehensive look at Haitian Vodou currently available. A must have for anyone interested in Vodou.
D.S. Nelson
Fantastic insight into a much misunderstood religion. A comprehensive and enlightening study.
carmie
A thorough overview of Haiti's gods and their servants, but a little dull.
Radish
Haven't gotten past the intro; also have a copy of her film of the same name.
Lisa
Dec 19, 2009 Lisa marked it as to-read  ·  review of another edition
Divine horsemen : the living gods of Haiti by Maya. Deren (1983)
effie has it
Natalia Gozdzik
Natalia Gozdzik marked it as to-read
Mar 24, 2015
Lizzy
Lizzy marked it as to-read
Mar 19, 2015
  • Voodoo in Haiti
  • Tell My Horse: Voodoo and Life in Haiti and Jamaica
  • Mama Lola: A Vodou Priestess in Brooklyn (Comparative Studies in Religion and Society)
  • The Serpent and the Rainbow
  • The Rainy Season
  • A New Orleans Voudou Priestess: The Legend and Reality of Marie Laveau
  • Why the Cocks Fight: Dominicans, Haitians, and the Struggle for Hispaniola
  • Jambalaya: The Natural Woman's Book of Personal Charms and Practical Rituals
  • The Goddesses and Gods of Old Europe: Myths and Cult Images, New and Updated Edition
  • The Butterfly's Way: Voices from the Haitian Dyaspora in the United States
  • The Haitian Vodou Handbook: Protocols for Riding with the Lwa
  • Haiti: The Tumultuous History - From Pearl of the Caribbean to Broken Nation
  • Of Water and the Spirit: Ritual, Magic and Initiation in the Life of an African Shaman
  • The Holy Books of Thelema
"Maya Deren (April 29, 1917, Kiev – October 13, 1961, New York City), born Eleanora Derenkowsky, was an American avant-garde filmmaker and film theorist of the 1940s and 1950s. Deren was also a choreographer, dancer, poet, writer and photographer."

-http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Maya_Deren
More about Maya Deren...
Essential Deren: Collected Writings on Film The Legend of Maya Deren: A Documentary Biography and Collected Works Choreographie für eine Kamera. Schriften zum Film Maya Deren and the American Avant-Garde The Red Velvet Seat: Women's Writings on the Cinema: The First Fifty Years