Start by marking “The Joyful Beggar” as Want to Read:
The Joyful Beggar

The Joyful Beggar

4.14 of 5 stars 4.14  ·  rating details  ·  163 ratings  ·  11 reviews
In this magnificent and stirring novel, Louis de Wohl turns his famed narrative skill to the story of the soldier and merchant's son who might have been right-hand man to a king ... and who became instead the most beloved of all saints.Set against the tempestuous background of 13th Century Italy and Egypt, here is the magnificent and inspiring story of Francis Bernardone, ...more
Published March 1st 2001 by Ignatius Press (first published 1958)

To ask other readers questions about The Joyful Beggar, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Joyful Beggar

The Screwtape Letters by C.S. LewisLeaper by Geoffrey  WoodThe God Cookie by Geoffrey  WoodThe Chronicles of Narnia by C.S. LewisThe Lord of the Rings Trilogy by J.R.R. Tolkien
Best Catholic Fiction
63rd out of 202 books — 196 voters
The Screwtape Letters by C.S. LewisFather Elijah by Michael D. O'BrienThe Shack by Wm. Paul YoungNocturne, Opus 1 by Norene MoskalskiPierced by a Sword by Bud Macfarlane Jr.
True Catholic (Christian) Fiction
82nd out of 140 books — 62 voters

More lists with this book...

Julie Davis
What is it with Louis de Wohl's books? They're like peanuts or popcorn. You just keep tossing back handfuls because they're so good and go down so tastily.

I received The Joyful Beggar on a Saturday at noon in the mail. Sunday at noon I was 75% done. It really grabbed me, obviously. I should've expected that since I've had that reaction to de Wohl's books before. They are consistently entertaining, fact-based stories of saints and the times in which they lived.

I'm aware of the details of St. Fran
Carlos Xavier
Great story related by Louis de Wohl... Tells the life of the saint fr the perspectives of the people who lived in his time and how they might have approached and understood him. Great dialogues and excelent way to tell a story. Just maybe he should have show less of pther characters and more of st. Francis
C.j.
Historically accurate, and apt to the character and spirit of its inimitable saint, this novel of Francis of Assisi is worth each read. This is my second. Even for one utterly at the edge of interest, as far as 'saints' go, it's a rollicking adventure and medieval tumult.
Frank
Great read. Easy, engaging. Offers an inspriational look at a great and humble man. Enjoyed how De Wohl stays true to the the spirit of the character, and how he re-creates a historically interesting backdrop as the context to showcase the character...
Jane
This book was not as good as I had hoped. I like De Whol's works and I love Francis of Assisi but I was disappointed when I read this book.
Margareth8537
Beautifully told story of St Francis.
De Wohl writes well without being too sugary
Leah N.
It was a little slow but I enjoyed Francis as a young man and the young king.
Marian Bart
Outstanding. I love St. Clare's cameos.
Marianne
Historical fiction about the life of St. Francis of Assisi. Wish it would have had St. Francis as more of the main character... but it was a good over view of his life.
Mia Silva
Very interesting with a spark of adventure.
Martin Jennis
Great book, very interesting. A good portrayal of an incredible man without slipping into sentimental piety.
Allison Ruvidich
Allison Ruvidich marked it as to-read
Apr 16, 2015
Cherislyn
Cherislyn marked it as to-read
Mar 25, 2015
❄Elsa Frost❄
❄Elsa Frost❄ marked it as to-read
Mar 21, 2015
Gayle Noble
Gayle Noble marked it as to-read
Mar 15, 2015
Deborah
Deborah marked it as to-read
Mar 11, 2015
Mjanke
Mjanke marked it as to-read
Mar 11, 2015
Mariamante Nevada
Mariamante Nevada marked it as to-read
Mar 10, 2015
Charlie Del
Charlie Del marked it as to-read
Feb 25, 2015
  • Uniformity with God's Will
  • The Fathers
  • Prayer Primer: Igniting a Fire Within
  • The Reed of God
  • Poustinia: Encountering God in Silence, Solitude and Prayer (Madonna House Classics Vol.1)
  • He Leadeth Me
  • Teresa of Avila: The Progress of a Soul
  • Hungry Souls: Supernatural Visits, Messages, and Warnings from Purgatory
  • Life Is Worth Living
  • Navigating the Interior Life: Spiritual Direction and the Journey to God
  • Death On A Friday Afternoon Meditations On The Last Words Of Jesus From The Cross
  • Sophia House
  • Why Catholics are Right
  • The Monks of Tibhirine: Faith, Love, and Terror in Algeria
Mr. de Wohl is a Knight Commander of the Order of the Holy Sepulchre and his wife (nee Ruth Magdalene Lorch, whom he married in 1953) is a Lady Commander of the same Order. His fifty books include The Living Wood (Lippincott, 1947), Imperial Renegade (id., 1950), The Restless Flame (id., 1951), Throne of the World (id., 1949; published in England as Attila), The Golden Thread (Lippincott, 1952), T ...more
More about Louis de Wohl...
The Spear The Quiet Light The Restless Flame: A Novel about Saint Augustine Lay Siege to Heaven Set All Afire