Start by marking “The Joyful Beggar: St. Francis of Assisi” as Want to Read:
The Joyful Beggar: St. Francis of Assisi

The Joyful Beggar: St. Francis of Assisi

In this magnificent and stirring novel, Louis de Wohl turns his famed narrative skill to the story of the soldier and merchant's son who might have been right-hand man to a king and who became instead the most beloved of all saints. Set against the tempestuous background of 13th Century Italy and Egypt, here is the magnificent and inspiring story of Francis Bernardone, the ...more
Published March 1st 2001 by Ignatius Press (first published 1958)

To ask other readers questions about The Joyful Beggar, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Joyful Beggar

Julie Davis
Sep 28, 2014 Julie Davis rated it really liked it
What is it with Louis de Wohl's books? They're like peanuts or popcorn. You just keep tossing back handfuls because they're so good and go down so tastily.

I received The Joyful Beggar on a Saturday at noon in the mail. Sunday at noon I was 75% done. It really grabbed me, obviously. I should've expected that since I've had that reaction to de Wohl's books before. They are consistently entertaining, fact-based stories of saints and the times in which they lived.

I'm aware of the details of St. Fran
Carlos Xavier
Nov 03, 2012 Carlos Xavier rated it really liked it
Great story related by Louis de Wohl... Tells the life of the saint fr the perspectives of the people who lived in his time and how they might have approached and understood him. Great dialogues and excelent way to tell a story. Just maybe he should have show less of pther characters and more of st. Francis
C.J.
Mar 18, 2011 C.J. rated it really liked it
Historically accurate, and apt to the character and spirit of its inimitable saint, this novel of Francis of Assisi is worth each read. This is my second. Even for one utterly at the edge of interest, as far as 'saints' go, it's a rollicking adventure and medieval tumult.
Frank
Aug 17, 2011 Frank rated it liked it
Great read. Easy, engaging. Offers an inspriational look at a great and humble man. Enjoyed how De Wohl stays true to the the spirit of the character, and how he re-creates a historically interesting backdrop as the context to showcase the character...
Jane
Aug 06, 2011 Jane rated it it was ok
This book was not as good as I had hoped. I like De Whol's works and I love Francis of Assisi but I was disappointed when I read this book.
Margareth8537
Sep 06, 2013 Margareth8537 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Beautifully told story of St Francis.
De Wohl writes well without being too sugary
Leah N.
Oct 07, 2009 Leah N. rated it liked it
It was a little slow but I enjoyed Francis as a young man and the young king.
Marian Bart
Jun 25, 2012 Marian Bart rated it it was amazing
Outstanding. I love St. Clare's cameos.
Chiara Marchetti
Un libro ricco di emozione, sentimento e sensibilità. Una biografia romanzata per niente noiosa, che ragala tocchi di commovente devozione. La vita del Santo è egregiamente descritta.
Ralph Wechuli
Feb 21, 2017 Ralph Wechuli rated it really liked it
Incredibly good
Arthur Lammers
Mar 03, 2014 Arthur Lammers rated it it was amazing
Shelves: catholic-fiction
Another great one by deWohl, who with each of his hagiographic novels gives such added depth and perspective to not only the amazing person each of these saints were, but also to the time and place in history to which they belong. I still would say that The Spear, the Quiet Light and the Citadel of God, top Joyful Beggar but this only speaks to how great they were as tJB was very good.
Heather
Jan 12, 2015 Heather rated it really liked it
Shelves: religious
I liked getting a better feel for the context of the world Francis lived in. I also feel like I understand him better.
Mia Silva
Mar 25, 2015 Mia Silva rated it really liked it
Very interesting with a spark of adventure.
Courtney
Jun 29, 2013 Courtney rated it liked it
Shelves: catholic, 2016
A nice read in preparation for my trip to Assisi.
Marianne
Dec 02, 2014 Marianne rated it liked it
Historical fiction about the life of St. Francis of Assisi. Wish it would have had St. Francis as more of the main character... but it was a good over view of his life.
Martin Jennis
Aug 04, 2014 Martin Jennis rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Great book, very interesting. A good portrayal of an incredible man without slipping into sentimental piety.
Justinas Rakita
Justinas Rakita rated it it was amazing
Jul 24, 2014
Susanpalahotmail.Com
Susanpalahotmail.Com rated it it was amazing
Sep 23, 2015
James Hahn
James Hahn rated it it was amazing
Apr 02, 2014
Maddy
Maddy rated it really liked it
Oct 02, 2008
Ines
Ines rated it really liked it
Jun 03, 2015
Ashley
Ashley rated it really liked it
Nov 04, 2012
Sofy Garza
Sofy Garza rated it it was amazing
Jan 24, 2016
Bunny Vouk
Bunny Vouk rated it liked it
Jun 25, 2012
TheRose
TheRose rated it it was amazing
May 27, 2010
Nicole Catherine
Nicole Catherine rated it it was amazing
Mar 19, 2009
Bridget Schabron
Bridget Schabron rated it it was amazing
Feb 21, 2014
deb d'amico
deb d'amico rated it it was amazing
Jan 08, 2017
Michele
Michele rated it it was amazing
Dec 29, 2009
Tim Stricker
Tim Stricker rated it it was amazing
Mar 01, 2015
  • Uniformity with God's Will
  • Theology of His Body/Theology of Her Body: Discovering the Strength & Mission of Masculinity/Discovering the Beauty and Mystery of Femininity
  • Poustinia: Encountering God in Silence, Solitude and Prayer (Madonna House Classics Vol.1)
  • The Fathers
  • Navigating the Interior Life: Spiritual Direction and the Journey to God
  • The Old Testament (Great Courses, #653)
  • How to Win the Culture War: A Christian Battle Plan for a Society in Crisis
  • With God in Russia
  • 7 Secrets of Confession
  • Why Catholics are Right
  • In the School of the Holy Spirit
Mr. de Wohl was a Knight Commander of the Order of the Holy Sepulchre and his wife (nee Ruth Magdalene Lorch, whom he married in 1953) is a Lady Commander of the same Order. His fifty books include The Living Wood (Lippincott, 1947), Imperial Renegade (id., 1950), The Restless Flame (id., 1951), Throne of the World (id., 1949; published in England as Attila), The Golden Thread (Lippincott, 1952), ...more
More about Louis de Wohl...