Start by marking “Fullmetal Alchemist #6” as Want to Read:
Fullmetal Alchemist #6

Fullmetal Alchemist #6 (Fullmetal Alchemist #6)

4.57 of 5 stars 4.57  ·  rating details  ·  6,701 ratings  ·  87 reviews
In an alchemical ritual gone wrong, Edward Alric lost his arm and his leg. He was lucky...his brother Alphonse lost his entire body. With Alphonse's soul grafted into a suit of armor, and the other brother equipped with mechanical limbs, they become government alchemists, serving the state on deadly missions and fighting the evil alchemists called the Seven Deadly Sins.
Published May 2007 by J.P.Fantastica (first published October 22nd 2003)

To ask other readers questions about Fullmetal Alchemist #6, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Fullmetal Alchemist #6

Celine
The sixth volume of this manga is dedicated mostly to more back story. I love seeing Al in his real body, and the love between these brothers is a constant highlight in this series. It has many touching moments, but didn't engage me as much as the previous two volumes did. We find out more about alchemy and the world these books are set in, which was intriguing. On to the next one!
Katie (Books and Katie)
I saw... eyes that were burning like fire.

Review:

I think this is, and will remain to be, my favorite book in this series. I just absolutely love how we finally get the full history on Ed and Al.

It is a beautifully tragic story, and, though it had bothered me that I needed to wait 6 books to get this information, I think it was perfect.

Overall, I completely recommend this series.

Quotes:

Page 44-45

On My Blog: Books and Katie
earthy
The details of Ed's and Al's disastrous attempt to raise their mother from the dead are revealed, and Izumi's reaction is fabulous. We also get some background on Roy as he assembles his Team of Awesome to join him in his attempt to take over the military. While of course the main characters in this series are multifaceted and fun, even the more minor characters, such as some of Roy's team, are really fleshed out. You really end up caring a lot about everyone.

Also, the author's comment about a c
Victor Wong
this book is about 2 kids that are brothers they set out on a journey to become alchemist. their first test was to be set on an island for a month to see if they are worthy enough to become alchemist. then after they do training and then they go home to show hometown their magic. then they try to bring their mother back from the dead but they are not suppose to b/c that is what their teacher told them never to do and they suffered a consequence one brother loses a arm and leg other loses his who ...more
Renata
Aww I really liked their origin story. Poor little bros.

Also: no cats died.

But: some rabbits died. But I felt okay about it because it was for food on a desert island. Also they went to rabbit heaven in the bonus pages.

I am aware: that my GoodReads is basically DoesTheDogDie.com for books, and I think that is a useful service to provide.
Irene
*Aaaarghhhh I am addicted!!* I just can't stop my impulsive reading manga obsession! (Thank god there are 27 volumes anyway!)
Jhaniel
I have to get this out of the way first: Oh my gosh the Elric brothers were adorable children.

Okay, now aside from that this volume is really where I got pulled in 100% to this story and these characters and their journeys. I'm fully invested now--not just with the Elrics, but with all our various protagonists. The flashback, starting in the previous volume and paying off wonderfully here, is beautifully paced. I did watch the anime before starting on reading this series, and I felt in the show
Mrs W
This entire volume is backstory, so I decided to just accept it and read. Once I’d done that, I was able to appreciate the opportunity to see Alphonse in his original body, and really see these boys as the children they are. It’s easy to see the strength of their devotion to one another, and their intense determination to become great alchemists. I’m more invested in their quest now, as I have seen what drives them.

This volume also explores the unique strength of Edward’s alchemical abilities.
Federiken Masters
Feb 25, 2011 Federiken Masters rated it 4 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Todo el mundo.
Recommended to Federiken by: La vida misma.
¿Cómo pueden unos pendejos de menos de quince años convertirse en expertos en artes marciales y cómo pueden temer y admirar tanto a su sensei al mismo tiempo? He aquí la respuesta. Que nos ponemos violentos, que nos ponemos filosóficos, que nos ponemos emotivos, que nos ponemos misteriosos; que nos quedamos atónitos, que nos quedamos intrigados, que nos quedamos emocionados. Todas estas sensaciones y muchas más en sólo 190 páginas de un manga clave.
King Haddock
YAY flashback! Slightly annoying for the reader who wants to know about the present, too... but I can't complain to all the information Hiromu Arakawa gave us in this volume. Yaaaay.

Oooh - and I have to mention I Am/God/the universe/truth/etc. Did you notice that chest thingie that held the truth inside it contained the Hebrew names to God such as Adonia, Elohim, etc. on the door??? I thought that was absolutely epically awesome.
Lix
Disclaimer: This is a 100% honest and not a spoiler-free review. However, I will try my best to minimize the amount of spoilers.

----------

Fullmetal Alchemist is one of the best manga series of all time, people really love this series, as well as the two anime series of this. Written and illustrated by Hiromu Arakawa, Fullmetal Alchemist is a tale of two brothers named Edward and Alphonse Elric. These two set out on a journey to search for a philosopher's stone in order to restore their bodies ba
Sara
Volume six begins in flashback with the boys' training on the island. More is revealed about Ed and Al's master and it turns out she and Ed both have committed the big no-no of alchemy and have seen the all-knowing Boogeyman on the other side. It's shown how Ed became a National Alchemist and met Colonel Mustang and things are brought back to current time where the henchman of a mysterious new enemy (?) confronts him and then literally scampers off. Over a wall. Meanwhile Colonel Mustang has bee ...more
Rachel
Volume six character love: Izumi Curtis.

When Edward and Alphonse were looking into how to revive their mother, they concluded that they needed a teacher. Circumstances delivered a traveling alchemist who, unlike any other alchemist, didn't need to draw an array to perform alchemy. Instead, she merely clapped her hands and shored up the dyke about to break and flood the boys' hometown. She collapsed shortly thereafter, vomiting blood all over the place.

The boys cornered her in the hospital and de
Janeen-san
In this volume of Fullmetal Alchemist, Ed and Al decide to go visit their teacher, Izumi Curtis the person who taught them alchemy in the beginning. She is a good teacher and is VERY protective of the the boys. Her 'teaching', though, involves beating them up, most of the time, as we the audience take a flashback to the past to see how the boys first learned alchemy from her, as well as Ed's alchemy exam, (which they changed the the show.) Izumi puts them on an island in the middle of a lake!!!! ...more
Bitsy
The more this series goes on the more complex it gets, in a very good way. Volume 6 continues the flashback from volume 5 covering the history of the boys and how they learned alchemy. The training was almost unbelievable to read about. I could not understand why some of the unspeakable and terrifying things even happened to them in the first place. This was true in the anime as well. But it really sets the tone for just how brutal and dark the rest of the series gets as things progress. They ne ...more
Sarah Sammis
Fullmetal Alchemist Volume 6 by Hiromu Arakawa finishes the Rush Valley and Dublith plots. It also gives background on how Ed lost his arm and leg and how Al lost his body all together. It also introduces the start of their friendship with Roy Mustang.

Ed and Al's time in Dublith is an interesting break between the original anime and Brotherhood. In the first anime a lot of time is spent replaying Ed and Al's first trial as apprentice alchemists. It involved a month of surviving alone on an islan
Jody Mena
I really enjoyed this volume! The numerous flashbacks meant the story didn't really advance very far, but they were very thought provoking flashbacks. I love the riddle of 'One is all and all is one", and how the boys discovered the answer to the riddle ('All is the universe, and I am one) just through observation and thorough immersion in nature. I was fascinated by the philosophical ideology embodied in Edward's encounter with the being that was 'the world, or the universe, or God, or truth, o ...more
Peter Purushothaman
I love this novel. Izumi Curtis is a great character and I love the fact that she acts as the brother's un-official mother. It was also very sad too considering we learn about Ed and Al's dark past. Also, in the end we get some suspense in that we learn that an important character has relation to the Seven deadly Sins!
Mriveravelez4
Edward and Alphonse Elric wanted to be stronger to win battles so they went to their teacher, but to get help but they got expelled for using what they what they were taught and doing the wrong thing. So they figure out that she was trying to still help them because the same thing happened to her.Then they need to restore the mind of Alphonse and find the truth. Fullmetal Alchemist is about love, strength , and courage.
Scott Lee
I'm reading so many of these so fast, it's hard to come up with anything new/different to say about them. Good volume. Same balance of past and present as last volume. A great book.
Nicole Fowler
Some background information on the Elric brothers, which helps to understand what they went through and how the came to learn/use alchemy. Heart-wrenching,funny and hilarious
Emma Clifton
The more I read of this series, the more I fall in love with it. It's simultaneously hilarious, epic, heart-wrenching, and mysterious. I can't wait to read more!
Oliver Hodson
Although it ended up being more of a mystery delayer, it was interesting to see the boys' training and what went wrong with the human transmutation experiment. Expert character and plot development.
Kel
I liked that we got more back-story regarding how Ed become a state alchemist. Plus, I like that the peripheral characters had more of an appearance.
Nidah (SleepDreamWrite)
Details the origins of how the Elric brothers learned Alchemy from their teacher Izumi. Ed and Al were adorable when they were kids.
Angie
I already knew I'd love this series, but I wasn't expecting to love it THIS much. Volume 6 was as funny and as charming as the previous five, but the previous serious and dark undercurrent that appeared before (and that along with the two main characters, really anchors the series), are front and center in this volume.

I love the characters, and I love that everyone is driven by - to varying degrees - the same desires desires of not needing but /wanting/ and I love the mild political intrigue an
Jenn Dattilo Watts
If you don't want to buy them, sometimes the main branches of your local library will have the manga volumes. They are most certainly worth the time to read ;-)
Olgalijo
This volume gives the background to the Elric brothers, and I enjoyed how this part of the story goes.
Céline :)
AWW this volume was so cute! I seriously love the Elric brothers. Seriously. :)
Jenni Hibdige
I love their origin story! It's got so much emotions!!!
  • Bleach Volume 07: The Broken Coda (Bleach #7)
  • Death Note, Vol. 7: Zero (Death Note, #7)
  • Tsubasa: RESERVoir CHRoNiCLE, Vol. 6 (Tsubasa: RESERVoir CHRoNiCLE #6)
  • D.Gray-man, Vol. 5: Announcement (D.Gray-man, #5)
  • Rurouni Kenshin, Vol. 15 (Rurouni Kenshin, #15)
  • Naruto, Vol. 23: Predicament (Naruto, #23)
Hiromu Arakawa, 荒川 弘, is a Japanese mangaka famous for the series Fullmetal Alchemist. Her real name is Hiromi Arakawa.

Born on May 8, 1973 in Tokachi, Hokkaidō, Japan, Arakawa was born and raised on a dairy farm with three elder sisters and a younger brother. Arakawa thought about being a manga artist "since [she] was little" and during her school years, she would often draw on textbooks. After gr
More about Hiromu Arakawa...

Fullmetal Alchemist (1 - 10 of 27 books)
  • Fullmetal Alchemist, Vol. 01 (Fullmetal Alchemist, #1)
  • Fullmetal Alchemist, Vol. 02 (Fullmetal Alchemist, #2)
  • Fullmetal Alchemist, Vol. 03 (Fullmetal Alchemist, #3)
  • Fullmetal Alchemist, Vol. 04 (Fullmetal Alchemist, #4)
  • Fullmetal Alchemist, Vol. 05 (Fullmetal Alchemist, #5)
  • Fullmetal Alchemist, Vol. 07 (Fullmetal Alchemist, #7)
  • Fullmetal Alchemist, Vol. 08 (Fullmetal Alchemist, #8)
  • Fullmetal Alchemist, Vol. 09 (Fullmetal Alchemist, #9)
  • Fullmetal Alchemist, Vol. 10 (Fullmetal Alchemist, #10)
  • Fullmetal Alchemist, Vol. 11 (Fullmetal Alchemist, #11)
Fullmetal Alchemist, Vol. 01 (Fullmetal Alchemist, #1) Fullmetal Alchemist, Vol. 02 (Fullmetal Alchemist, #2) Fullmetal Alchemist, Vol. 03 (Fullmetal Alchemist, #3) Fullmetal Alchemist, Vol. 07 (Fullmetal Alchemist, #7) Fullmetal Alchemist, Vol. 05 (Fullmetal Alchemist, #5)