The God Virus
read excerpt

The God Virus

3.82 of 5 stars 3.82  ·  rating details  ·  44 ratings  ·  21 reviews
Suddenly, the lights went out. Not just in one town or village, but all across the world.

It was an act of cyber terrorism that plunged the world into the heart of darkness, into the 1000-year night, letting loose the demons of a billion souls, pitting dark against light, causing each person everywhere to choose sides...

Not since Stephen King’s The Stand has there been an a...more
Published February 15th 2012 by White Feather Press (first published February 12th 2012)

To ask other readers questions about The God Virus, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The God Virus

Emily
I really was excited about this book, so my low rating makes me sad. Full disclosure - I won this in a goodreads giveaway. I'm reviewing it for that reason, primarily.

Where to start. Let's begin with the writing. It's really bad. I mean atrocious, at least when compared with the vast majority of professional authors out there. This reads like a poorly written fan-fic, with the main character standing in for the author. Which is, frankly, exactly what I suspect this is. I find it interesting tha...more
J. Keith
What if the lights suddenly went out all over the world as if God just flipped the switch. That is a question "The God Virus" makes you ask. What would you do once the panic set it and it was "every man for himself?"

"The God Virus" is the first of a planned trilogy. Dan Branch is a man at a crossroads in his life living in Wisconsin when the chaos strikes. Before the lights go out he receives a coded text from his Uncle Rodney in Michigan. Uncle Rodney is a survivalist who has spent his entire l...more
Cheryl
Wow wow wow. I want to read the next book. Now, please. Haha. I literally finished this book two minutes ago, and I'm ready to continue on with the story! I mean we just found out that *beeeeeeeeeeeeeeep* (insert spoiler here), and Dan's uncle is *beeeeeeeeeeeeeeep* (insert spoiler here), and now there's a huge *beeeeeeeeeeeeeeep* (insert spoiler here) that's heading in their direction! Aw man. I'm exhausted. After pumping this bad boy out in 4 hours, I'm beat, but what a wild ride. It's not eve...more
Courtney
Overall, I really enjoyed this book. I've never read an apocalyptic book quite like this one before and I found it a refreshing change. I think because I won a copy of the book through a Goodreads contest, it may have been an early copy and the book had a lot of errors in it. Nothing too major, deletion of quotation marks, backward quotation marks, that kind of thing. The sudden progression of the relationship between the main characters came out of no where. One chapter they were awkward and un...more
Denise
I am a huge fan of One Second After. If you liked that book, you will like this book.

What if all the electricity in the United States went out due to cyber tourism? How would the break down of society occur, and what would you do in the midst of it?

This book follows a family as they realize and understand what is happening and what they do to get to safety. I had to keep reading to find out what was going to happen...or what tragedy would happen next.

This book really pulled me in and I couldn't...more
Alicia
This book was AMAZING! The power goes out around the world and everything changes. Think about it. No more facebook, no more twitter, no more tivo, netflix, the list goes on and on. Where are you going to get your food? how are you going to survive? Think about it and then ask yourself, How would I react to this? My neighbor is trying to steal my food or rape my daughter, What would I do? What would you do? READ THIS BOOK!!
Leigh
This book was entertaining. It was a quick read and kept my attention for sure. I love post-apocolyptic stories and will definitly read the next in the series. I have to know what happens next! There was a bit too much religion for me but it didn't change my opinion of the story. Oh and I LOVE Uncle Rodney!!! I received this book for free through a Goodreads First Reads give away.
Connie Koenig
Great Book! I couldn't put it down. It really made me think. What would I do? Is there something I should be doing now to prepare for something like this? We work hard to support our family. We need to think about the future. There are so many uncertainties in the world today. What if the lights all went out? I look forward to reading the next book Skip Coryell.
Ray
Mar 23, 2012 Ray rated it 5 of 5 stars
Shelves: won
This book was won through first reads give away.

This book is an amazing insight as to the minds of others and how life can change at any moment in time. It was a very good read and makes you wonder about current situations in life. Skip Coryell did a really good job on this book.
Jeanie
Jul 01, 2012 Jeanie rated it 5 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: everyone
Excellent read! Very heavy on action and teaches while it entertains. Characters are well developed and realistic and have a depth that is very enjoyable. Very good rendition of the possibilities that exist in a crisis.
Mary
I was hooked after a couple of pages. Likeable characters, good vs evil, oh and there is lots of evil. I enjoyed reading of WI & MI of the places I have been. Can't wait for the next book to come out!!!
Andy
Great family values/end of the world/apocalypse combo story. *grin* Dad and step-son essentially grow up when the end of the world arrives. Couldn't put it down. Loved the interaction, the description of how quickly a society can fall apart when, as he says, the veneer of civilization is stripped. I loved the healing of the relationship between father and son. It reads a lot like the Swiss Family Robinson, as another reviewer wrote - careful planning and years of stockpiling combined with the no...more
Annah
I thought the concept of this book was great. Take power away from the people and see what happens. It's too bad this book didn't live up to the great idea of it. I was intrigued in the beginning by the blind man. I still have no idea what his real motive was aside from having power over others. After the "collapse" this story just took a nosedive. I found the amount of brand naming excessive and pointless. Not only that but all the gun and ammo lingo made me want to skim over every sentence wit...more
Amanda
There were things I loved about this book and things that I hated.

I’ll start off by saying I don’t think this book was edited. I found so many errors throughout this book, and the editors/publishers should be embarrassed. I do often find typos in published books, but one or two in a 400 page book is understandable, a typo every couple of pages is pathetic.

Do to the errors, I found this book difficult to really enjoy. The writing was unimpressive and didn’t actually have anything that I would ca...more
Melanie
I won this book as a Goodreads giveaway.

There are somethings I really enjoyed about the novel. Being a Detroit girl born and raised, the references to places I spent my childhood camping and tooling around in stir up nostalgic feelings. The foundation for the story was excellent; what would the world become like if a computer virus was unleashed that caused the US to be stuck in a power outage. Perhaps this wasn't an strike of creativity, this area had in fact experienced a black out much like t...more
Lauren
Here's the thing about this book- it could have been great! The set up was interesting, the conflict was intriguing, and the characters were not too obnoxious...this all changed about midway through.

Up until the halfway point, I was reading an interesting book about what might happen if suddenly all the electricity in the world went out and the government collapsed. There was a little more death and killing surrounding the main character than was entirely believable (every person the main charac...more
Zach Bechtel
I enjoyed the fast paced action of this book and the realistic happenings of how society would actually react had all electricity stopped.

The things I didn't enjoy were how fast *SPOLIER* Dan and Jackie fall in love. While it makes sense they would like each other it seems as though they jump on a love rocket, no pun intended, and speed into everlasting obsessive love in about 2 pages. Plus everyone is way to religious for my tastes.

Uncle Rodney is fantastic "I bought it on Ebay!"

Overall, this i...more
Anita
Wish I'd known before starting that this was only part one!
Gary
I live in Michiagan and was born in Wisconson, so it was cool traveling through area of these states I was familiar with. It's an interesting story, with characters that you can get to know. The story twists and turns, so I wasn't able to guess what was going to happen next. The ending of this book left me ready and wanting to get the second book in this trilogy. If you enjoy a good "end times" fictional book (short series), I recommend Skip Coryell - The God Virus!
Theresa Sours
Wow, this could really happen! Could you survive this? This is a great book to read, especially in our times.
Melissa
Mar 25, 2012 Melissa marked it as to-read
Shelves: i-own
I received the book for free through Goodreads First Reads.
David Bullock
David Bullock marked it as to-read
Sep 18, 2014
Ramiro
Ramiro marked it as to-read
Sep 02, 2014
Michael Graff
Michael Graff marked it as to-read
Aug 31, 2014
Sarah Elmer-Burnsed
Sarah Elmer-Burnsed marked it as to-read
Aug 02, 2014
Tabitha
Tabitha marked it as to-read
Aug 01, 2014
Vickie
Vickie marked it as to-read
Jul 29, 2014
Tony
Tony marked it as to-read
Jul 26, 2014
Gregor Schmidinger
Gregor Schmidinger marked it as to-read
Jul 16, 2014
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 next »
Q&A with Skip...: The end of the world as we know it. 2 6 Mar 13, 2012 07:41AM
Skip Coryell now lives with his wife and children in Michigan. He works full time as a professional writer, and “The God Virus” is his eighth published book. He is an avid hunter and sportsman, a Marine Corps veteran, and a graduate of Cornerstone University.
More about Skip Coryell...
Stalking Natalie We Hold These Truths Bond of Unseen Blood Laughter And Tears: Living Both Sides Of Life The Shadow Militia: The Golden Horde Advances (The Thousand Year Night)