Start by marking “Marked: A Two Halves Novella (Two Halves, #1)” as Want to Read:
Marked: A Two Halves Novella (Two Halves, #1)

Marked: A Two Halves Novella (Two Halves #1)

Shapeshifter Xander will remain stuck in oblivion between good and evil until he is marked—either with the sphere that will identify him as a servant of the underworld or with the water mark, working for the keepers of humans, vampires, and warlocks.

One decision will mark him and his twin sister Mira equally. She is in love with a man bearing the water mark and wants Xand
ebook
Published February 16th 2012 by MyLit Publishing (first published February 12th 2012)

To ask other readers questions about Marked, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Marked

Charlayne
Apr 30, 2012 Charlayne rated it really liked it
I picked up this novella after I read Two Halves because I wanted to see what more was being told about the characters. This one is about Xander, the shape shifter who is the friend of Sarah. The story is really a prequel to Two Halves, telling the story of Xander and Xela, the witch. Unlike witches, who are given their destiny at birth with the mark of either the sphere of underworld or the water mark of the good keepers of the main beings (humans, vampires, and warlocks), shape shifters are ...more
Valerie
Jun 21, 2013 Valerie rated it liked it
Shelves: other
This about Xander and his sister Mira... shape shifters who are trying to discover what their purpose is. They are waiting on their calling whether it be for the sphere or water marking.. and they must make choices that will be good for each as they are twins and experience things together. A love comes about that could hamper the obvious choices ....and could change things forever. Xander must go with his heart and trust himself. Its a very short read.. little dragged out in the beginning but ...more
Dave Higgins
Mar 08, 2013 Dave Higgins rated it it was ok
Shelves: reviewed
The underlying mythology of this book has some similarities with Sergei Lukyanenko's Night Watch trilogy: several types of supernatural beings exist that are divided into two groups, one good and one evil, based on a defining moment in their past. However for at least one of these types the defining moment occurs at birth and the protagonists of this book are prophesied to pick a particular side, so there is more emphasis on fate rather than just personal choice.

This novella is the first part of
Alysa H.
Aug 02, 2016 Alysa H. rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
I won a copy of Two Halves in Elle Casey's January Anniversary Indie Book Giveaway, and the author encouraged me to read this book, Marked, first.

As far as I can tell, Marked was released after Two Halves, as a "prequel", but the author retroactively decided to make it "Book 1" because, though significantly shorter, it takes place first, chronologically speaking.

I did actually like Marked better than Two Halves, as it revolves around that book's secondary characters who are far more interesting
Amelia
May 27, 2015 Amelia rated it liked it

We start Marked with all this promise - twin shapeshifters, faced with a choice between good and evil. Anything could've been done with it. The twins could've chosen opposing sides. They could've refused to choose either. We could've had a Bo-from-Lost-Girl or Lena-from-Beautiful-Creatures thing going on. There could've been mistaken identities. There could've been...

And what do we get? A double dose of instalove, one for each twin. This is really disappointing because, instalove overload asid
Paula
Jul 18, 2015 Paula rated it liked it
Being a novella this was not a long read. It was also a good story so it didn't take much to keep on reading till it was done. It is Book 1 in a series. It is a paranormal read.There are a set of twins who were mysteriously found at the edge of a forest when babies. A boy and a girl. As they grow they learn that they have a decision to make. To either take a mark for evil and be marked forever to the underworld and help with the destruction of good and humanity. The other option is to choose the ...more
Michelle Arrow
4.5 stars rating

As I said in my "Two Halves review, I loved Xander, and I got a chance to know much more about him and his personality! Marked was even better than the first book, because even though it was shorter, everything I wanted in it, it had.

Summary: Xander hasn't found his loved one until he met Xela. (view spoiler)
Mlpmom (Book Reviewer)
As most people know I really like to read novellas. Especially prequels to series because they really can give you a good feel for a series and let you know, for the most part, if you are going to be interested enough after reading it, to even bother to pick up the first book.

You can get a feel for the author's writing style and how the story flows.

I wasn't sure what to expect from this one, I really liked the synopsis and wanted to give it a try.

I am glad I did, this one was way different tha
Justine
Oct 31, 2012 Justine rated it liked it
I received this book free from the author in exchange for an honest review.
This novella is about twin shape shifters who must choose their destiny. They need to become marked with either the water mark of the keepers of the sphere of the underworld. Xander and Mira have a rough decision because they have to make the same choice because they are twins. The hard part is Mira is in love with Eric, who carries a watermark, but Xander fell in love with a dark witch who is marked by the sphere.
I'm not
Christine Rains
Jun 17, 2013 Christine Rains rated it really liked it
One decision stands between Xander and a life serving good or evil. It's frustrating for him and his twin sister Mira not to know which mark they'll be given. Yet their choice will turn the tide in an ancient war for either side. Of course Xander wants to do good, but when he falls for a black witch, his heart tells him he belongs to her. He's pulled both ways, and not even Xander knows which side he'll fall upon until it is perhaps too late.

A fast-paced story that's a wonderful set-up for the s
Claire Taylor
Jul 02, 2012 Claire Taylor rated it really liked it
The story is really a prequel to Two Halves, telling the story of Xander. I haven't read Two Halves, but won this book in a giveaway and happily read it whilst at the hairdressers. It's quick to read, but opened me up to a world of characters I want to learn more about.

In short, it's good vs evil - with Xander and his twin sister, Mira, (who are shape shifters) stuck in the middle, waiting to find out their fate. They will be marked with either the sphere of underworld or the watermark of the g
Cat
May 29, 2013 Cat rated it liked it
This book has good things going for it: romance and sex, brother/sister bonding, shifters, demons, and a good vs. evil battle. What I didn't like about it was Xander (the protagonist)'s lack of logical thought processes. He doesn't know how to cope with anything emotionally, and seems to run on instinct alone. That's not necessarily a bad thing, and as a shifter it makes a lot of sense, I just wished his thoughts were explored more in depth. It would have also been nice to see Mira's side of ...more
Annalisa Crawford
Aug 15, 2012 Annalisa Crawford rated it really liked it
Having read Two Halves at the beginning of the year, it was great to catch up with the familiar characters and find out a bit of the back story of Xander and Mira. How they get marked perfectly sets up the original novel, but it works well that it was published second.

The writing drew me in, a love the shorter length which gave no room for distractions, just the path towards an end which everyone is telling the twins is inevitable. The author gives a great sense of the struggle that Xander exper
Jasmyn
Mira and Xander are shape-shifting twins whose destiny has yet to be shown to them. They must decide if the will follow the way of the good guys or the evil demons and warlocks. Mira longs to join the good, while Xander longs to be bad....both for the sake of love. But their destiny is tied together, and they must chose together. Which fate will they decide?

A nice and fun, quick read. Marked introduces us to the twins, Mira and Xander, who play a large role in the novel, Two Halves (review up in
Jessica
Jul 20, 2015 Jessica rated it did not like it
Shelves: dnf, fantasy
when you drop me in the middle of a story with no explanation....we're gonna have a bad time. I was already trying to figure out wtf was going on with the supernatural part when both twins fall in insta love with the next 2 characters we meet....WHAAAT?! I was under the impression that these were adults, young ones but still past the-I wanna f*ck her she must be THE ONE stage. I just couldn't...I couldn't. DNF
James P.
Oct 31, 2014 James P. rated it really liked it
I know this is a novella, but just thrown into the story, with no background or explanation of who people are, why demons, vampires, angels, demons and witches are running around with humans, in what appears to be modern times. No real reason to care about or become invested in the characters. The novella offers no resolution either.

Despite this, writing is good and the story progresses at a quick pace. Would probably give it a 3.5 stars if that was an option.
Joy
May 05, 2016 Joy marked it as to-read
Shelves: fantasy, read-in-2013
I really wanted to like this one. The main characters were brother and sister twins - neat. The way they communicate with each other was nifty. Shapeshifting was cool.
Their outside relationships/partners/conflicts was the least interesting thing about this short story.
Madison
This book is a good idea...but is way too under-developed. I liked the story like good enough to read it, but the whole story raced by, never developed and lacked serious detail. Pretty disappointed.
Jenn
May 15, 2013 Jenn rated it really liked it
I enjoyed the writing style, though it seemed a little Stu-ish that the shapeshifting means the ability to shift into anything. I will read the next story for sure
Kathryn
This novella was just ok for me. But since it's the lead in to other stories, I'll take what it gave me.
Tineshia Deeter
Tineshia Deeter rated it it was amazing
Jun 03, 2015
Jacinto Bowks
Jacinto Bowks rated it it was ok
Feb 03, 2016
Tina
Tina rated it it was amazing
Apr 07, 2015
Brenda Ambrose
Brenda Ambrose rated it really liked it
Oct 02, 2014
Robin
Robin rated it really liked it
May 21, 2014
Stephanie
Stephanie rated it liked it
Oct 09, 2013
Anna
Anna rated it it was ok
Mar 01, 2014
Ches Vaters
Ches Vaters rated it it was amazing
Nov 09, 2015
Georgina Little
Georgina Little rated it it was amazing
Nov 09, 2016
Rebecca
Rebecca rated it really liked it
Jun 08, 2014
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 next »
  • Autumn Dawn (The Witchling, #2.5)
  • Blood Memory (Blood Memory #1)
  • Bad Wolf (Bad Wolf Chronicles, #1)
  • Dragon Soul
  • BORN IN VENGEANCE (Dacian Legends, #1)
  • Neptune’s Lair
  • Hunter's Blood (Cursed by Blood, #1)
  • Transcender: First-Timer (Transcender, #1)
  • The Book Waitress (The Book Waitress, #1)
  • Beast in Me (The Divination Falls Trilogy #2)
  • The Backworlds (The Backworlds, #1)
  • The Problem with Black Magic (The Familiar Series, #1)
  • Unearthed (Resistance, #3.5)
  • Bitten (The One Rises #1)
  • Gone
  • Perfect Misfits
  • Undenied (The Amoveo Legend, #2.5)
  • Anything He Wishes (Billionaire BDSM Erotic Romance)
Marta Szemik is an author and a writer. As a mom of two and a wife she enjoys using her family member's attributes in her writing - just because they are unique:) A great skier (in her kids eyes), she loves the outdoors. Very often she can be found daydreaming new worlds in front of her computer. Her favourite pass-time is sitting on the front porch with a cup of coffee. Powerful writing with ...more
More about Marta Szemik...

Two Halves (4 books)
  • Two Halves (Two Halves, #2)
  • Two Equals (Two Halves, #3)
  • Evil-Bent: A Two Equals Novella (Two Halves, #4)