Start by marking “Battle of Hearts” as Want to Read:
Battle of Hearts

Battle of Hearts

3.52  ·  Rating Details  ·  192 Ratings  ·  21 Reviews
Living in a world where vampires can't stand the sight of shifters, and shifters gag at the smell of vamps, a vicious war rages -- and the vampires are winning. Clearly, this is not an ideal setting for a mixed-species shifter couple. Valerian is the Alpha of his pack, a fighter and an unemotional killer, but one whose skill has kept him alive. On one of his missions, amon ...more
Published April 14th 2012 by Silver Publishing (first published March 24th 2012)

To ask other readers questions about Battle of Hearts, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Battle of Hearts

Shattered Glass by Dani AlexanderArmed & Dangerous by Abigail RouxStars & Stripes by Abigail RouxChase in Shadow by Amy LaneWho We Are by T.J. Klune
Best M/M Romance Published in 2012
291st out of 617 books — 1,450 voters
Change of Heart by Mary CalmesWith Caution by J.L. LangleyWithout Reservations by J.L. LangleyDuck! by Kim DareTrusted Bond by Mary Calmes
Best Gay Shifters
352nd out of 887 books — 1,217 voters

More lists with this book...

Lucy
Apr 24, 2016 Lucy rated it really liked it
reviewed for www.heartsonfirereviews.com

It is no secret that I am a fan of pretty covers, and Battle of Hearts definitely has a pretty cover. Besides that, however, is a great story. Ms Heart does not write “soft” shifters. Her shifter worlds are gritty, sometimes dark and often violent. It is the case in this book.

There is a war happening between vamps and shifters, one that began with the killing of two young shifters by a blood crazed vamp. Humans play a part in this, but mostly it is the sh
Serena Yates
Apr 21, 2012 Serena Yates rated it it was ok
Shelves: gay
There are quite a few things I liked about this book: the setting of a vampire/shifter war is interesting, some of the characters' interactions are quite funny, and the lack of an immediate 'mate bond' that makes the main characters fall into each other's arms is refreshing and different.

However, there are too many missing pieces and inconsistencies for me to be able to go from 'it was okay (2 stars) to 'liking' (3 stars) this book. The back story of the war is never explained, vamps and shifter
Heather♥
Apr 17, 2012 Heather♥ rated it really liked it
I found many things to love about this story - the unapologetic violence between the shifters and vampires, the day-to-day grittiness of living in such a dark war-torn world, the unusual pack dynamic of having three Alphas, and the stubborn, angry, prideful men who actually fought against their mating bond. It was refreshing to have a story about shifters who knew they were mates but didn't want to be for a variety of reasons, not the least of which was they didn't particularly like each other. ...more
Lexi Ander
Apr 15, 2012 Lexi Ander rated it it was amazing
Shelves: mm-shifters
Could not put this down. I loved the world and the push/pull of the relationship that kept me guessing. I would definitely recommend this to readers who want more from a paranormal story than fluffy HEA. Valentina makes them work for it and I loved every minute of it.
Melanie
May 07, 2012 Melanie rated it really liked it
Book received and reviewed for Joyfully Jay on 5/7/12

Rating: 4.5 stars

For years, vampires and shifters had remained hidden from human societies, an uneasy truce keeping the peace between them. Then a blood-crazed vampire killed two shifter cubs and the war was on. Years later, the war has reduced the numbers of all involved and the few humans left have been forced to take sides in order to survive. Valerian, a wolf shifter, is one of three Alphas in a combined pack of shifters of all species. He
Pixie Mmgoodbookreviews
Apr 14, 2012 Pixie Mmgoodbookreviews rated it it was amazing
4 1/2 Stars

First published at MM Good Book Reviews

Valerian is one of three alphas’ in his pack. They share responsibility, with Valerian’s duty being missions and vampire politics. So when he is on a mission to rescue some of his warriors, he is less than pleased to come across his mate. Teddy is a loner and has no interest in a mate, but when he discovers he might be able to find the vampire that captured him, he decides to stick around for a while.

God, I
♆ BookAddict  ✒ La Crimson Femme
The Romance Review

Vampires and werewolves are immortal enemies and it doesn't look like they are going to become enemies to lovers anytime soon. It is said that one event can be a catalyst that sets a series of events into motion that cannot be easily stopped. In this world created by the talented Ms. Heart, it is very true. One mistake costing the lives of two young shifters leads to a war torn world 1,000 years later. With a blurb like this, how can I resist reading what happens?

Valerian is one of three alpha
Kristy Maitz
Apr 14, 2012 Kristy Maitz rated it really liked it
I have to say I had really great time reading that book. Both main characters Teddy and Valerian are strong minded individuals and they pull you into the story right away. I did not like the vampire part because it could be more here or something. But at the end I just thought "more, gave me more". Great work.
Becca Finn
Mar 11, 2014 Becca Finn rated it really liked it
This was a welcome surprise. I found this book deep in a list of books about shifters. I wasn't sure if I would like it or not, but the blurb drew me in.

The world-building, while it could have been more fleshed out, was nice and creative. There were nice little details hidden here and there to give me a great look at the world in general.

While I can always use more angst in the books I read, this still held a sufficient amount for me.

Was nice to read another shifter paranormal romance that was
MsMiz (Tina)
Apr 20, 2012 MsMiz (Tina) rated it really liked it
Shelves: glbt-all, kindle-mobi
Ohhhhh pretty!! Can't wait!
Lasha
May 03, 2012 Lasha rated it liked it
In the past, I’ve liked Valentina Heart’s other works. Battle of Hearts starts off with an amazing premise of vamps vs. werewolves and builds on that notion to draw a firm line in the sand that the two sides are at war. Valerian is the Alpha of his pack and a warrior whose only mission in life is to kill vampires. He is almost like a Terminator in that he eats, sleeps and breathes destroying as many vampire nests as possible. Enter, Teddy, a shifter who just happens to be Val’s mate and you have ...more
Midnight
May 27, 2013 Midnight rated it did not like it
The blurb seemed interesting but I found the book rather disappointing. I found the world building lacking, the reason for the war between vampires and shifters — weak and again, lacking believability. Too many things were left unexplained or not completely fleshed out, making the book seem more like a draft. However, what turned me off the most were the two main characters — Valerian and Teddy. They were impossible to like.

Valerian is a complete asshole, I don't think he had any positive traits
Emily
Jun 15, 2012 Emily rated it liked it
It was an okay book. I wasn't expecting what happened in the book. Parts of it were in the blurb, but one of the biggest shocks in the book wasn't even hinted at and for something that big and shocking, you should include some kind of warning. I thought it was an interesting and unusual shocker, but since I wasn't at all prepared, it jarred me out of the story a bit and I never really reconnected after that. I think this could have been a better book, as I do enjoy Valentina's books, but while I ...more
Pianisuparse
Feb 03, 2016 Pianisuparse rated it really liked it
4 'Oooh just what I needed quick easy to read shifter mm. Valerian was delicious in an often obnoxious way and Teddy was soooo awesome' stars.
Meggie
Apr 12, 2012 Meggie rated it liked it
Enjoyable shifters story set in the middle of a war between shifters and vampires. Valerian was a classic Alpha male, dominant, aggressive and closed down emotionally. In his world emotions and feelings weren't part of daily life. The day, Valerian and his team, found captured shifters in a vampire lair, he didn't expect to find a cougar Teddy, his mate. Valerian and Teddy were interesting as a couple. Mostly because they were both strong willed individuals and as such, bickered non stop. In gen ...more
Rochella
Mar 03, 2014 Rochella rated it did not like it
This didn't work for me. The first half of the book was just a drag. Then it started to get a bit better, but I still didn't find it particularly enjoyable and I honestly rushed it just to be done with it.
There was no real background information, actions and other events weren't properly explained and characters seemed very flat. And the book seemed way more action (and not great one at that) than m/m romance. Because it was just a fuck here and there and two people mostly hating each other.
Amy
Apr 12, 2012 Amy rated it liked it
Shelves: own-them
I was really enjoying it until everything happened to Teddy.(view spoiler) I still liked Sebastian's Wolves better, that one is my favorite by this author.
Neko
May 11, 2012 Neko rated it really liked it
D: geh, teh horror! Girly bits in the beginning, easily skipable but still there...
...the rest of it... WOW!! <3 It was good. :)
Hearts On Fire Reviews
Reviewed by: Lucy
Genre: M/M Paranormal
Rated: 5 hearts

Check out the review on http://heartsonfirereviews.com/

Ericka Walden
Apr 19, 2012 Ericka Walden rated it really liked it
I hope Ms. Heart gives us more of this shifter world!
Maya
Apr 13, 2012 Maya rated it really liked it
4.5 Stars
Dora
Dora marked it as to-read
Jul 26, 2016
Vaileronis
Vaileronis rated it it was amazing
Jul 13, 2016
LOLA
LOLA rated it really liked it
Jul 03, 2016
Melissa
Melissa marked it as to-read
Jun 09, 2016
Skm
Skm added it
May 20, 2016
Johnny Walker
Johnny Walker rated it really liked it
Apr 17, 2016
Sara rated it liked it
Apr 05, 2016
  • Galen and the Forest Lord
  • Soul Magic (Triad #3)
  • Silver/Steel (Arcada #4)
  • A Royal Bind (Changing Moon, #2)
  • The Wizard & The Werewolf (Mixed Mates, #1)
  • Bloodlines (KinKaid Wolf Pack, #1)
  • Heart of Dame (Solomon's Pride #3)
  • Deadly Secrets (Dark Kings of Eternity, #1)
  • Technically Dead
  • Snakeskin Boots (Were Menagerie #1)
  • Tor (Werewolf Fight League #1)
  • The Astral Mage (Captains to the Wolf, #1)
  • The Given & The Taken (Tooth and Claw, #1)
  • Four-Letter Words (Haven #8)
  • Tian's Hero (The Akanti #1)
  • Talon and the Falconer (Symbiotic Mates, #3)
  • Keaton's Lessons (Brac Village #6)
  • An Intrepid Trip to Love (A Little Bite of Love #1)
I would say that I am first a reader and then a writer. My fascination with books goes way back into the past when I didn't even know I could read something that wasn't given to me in school. Writing came later. First when I tried writing down the plots of the movies I found overwhelming and later in the form of a very dark blog that connected me with people I still consider very good friends.

Whe
More about Valentina Heart...