Start by marking “Zed (Zed, #1)” as Want to Read:
Zed (Zed, #1)

Zed (Zed #1)

4.03 of 5 stars 4.03  ·  rating details  ·  32 ratings  ·  28 reviews
Zed is not your typical zombie. He is cursed with the affliction of thought ... although he tries to make the best of a bad situation. The goals for his unrest are simple: to improve his stride, to taste a lightly-seared pork loin once again and avoid Activists at all costs.

His life was predictable, controlled and good until chaos crashed the party. In just one day his wor
Published February 18th 2012

To ask other readers questions about Zed, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Zed

World War Z by Max BrooksThe Zombie Survival Guide by Max BrooksThe Walking Dead, Vol. 01 by Robert KirkmanFeed by Mira GrantPride and Prejudice and Zombies by Seth Grahame-Smith
Zombies!
203rd out of 1,243 books — 3,556 voters
When Pigs Fly by Bob SanchezThe Steward by Christopher  ShieldsLittle Mountain by Bob SanchezGetting Lucky by Bob SanchezDivorce Hotel by B.R.  Snow
Best Indie Books to Read in 2012
249th out of 967 books — 1,189 voters

More lists with this book...

Midu Hadi
May 26, 2012 Midu Hadi rated it 3 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: YA readers
Tony Bertauski
I'm not a zombie fan, but Herfst comes up with a unique spin on the genre, written in first person from the zombie's POV. Fantastic. It gives the reader the perspective of the infected. But Zed is not just any old zombie, he's developed into an intellectual one that lives an existence between humans and zombies (his brothers). And this sets up many great observations of the human condition.

Herfst does a fine job of fleshing out a world with zombies and how they are not only integrated back into
★Ruth★
3.5/4 stars

Thanks to the author for allowing me to read & review this book.

I do not like zombie books but I do like this book.
I thought writing the story from the perspective of a zombie was clever & new, to me at least.
The tone throughout is witty & I really enjoyed the various references to TV & Movie's.
For eg from the get go The title Zed had the following phrase running through my head - Zed's dead Baby; Zed's dead - and the author only goes & throw's that into the story
Cecilia Robert
First of all, Thanks you Stephen and Making Connections for giving me a chance to read this book. I've never read any Zombie books, so when I saw Stephen's book offered for review, and after reading the book summary, I signed up.

Zed. He is a zombie, loves GI boots, loves to read, can count to 13, and has upgraded his shuffle to a stride, mastered it to perfection. That's what he thinks until Chase, a fiery teen girl and also a 'zee' hunter comes along and insults his stride.

Once Chase discovers
Mindy Bolinger

The world has never seen the likes of Zed. A zombie that is much more than a brain sucking, leg dragging dead human. According to Stephen Herfst, Zed is an awesome zombie. This was a refreshing book that pulled me away from the grind of vampires and their immortal life. It gets a little sucking on the brain after a while.
Zed was created in a world that does not seem so far fetched. The Yahoo's, Government, Military and Activists are the categories in this story. Very well organized storyline tha
Gabriela
Again participating in the ARR program has paid off and paid off big, I had the pleasure of reading this book in exchange for an honest review. Zed is a zombie with a peculiar situation in where he has a conscience and is not "brain-dead" like other zombies; his analytic way of looking at society is funny. He lives alone in his lair hiding from humans and civilization altogether until he runs into Chase, a teenage zombie hunter. I found the story to be unique and very entertaining. The character ...more
David Estes
I gotta say, this book was entertaining. Herfst does a fantastic job of getting into the head of his half-zombie main character Zed and develops him quite well. The writing is very good with only a few typos (tense changes a couple times) but nothing that a good copy editor couldn't easily fix up. Herfst is also quite witty, with a dry, sarcastic sense of humor that endears you to his characters. If you like zombies and humor and a bit of action, this book is for you.
Ruty  B
If you ever thought that conscience is what difference humans from the rest of animals then you need to know that is also what separates Zed from the other zombies. And if you ever thought that zombies couldn´t be funny; you are wrong!

This story presents us a zombie like no other. Here the zombies are supposed to be these creatures that only want to bite humans. They are pretty much like any typical zombie; they go around with their arms extended and searching for humans brains. But in the oppos
Leanne
*Received e-book through the Authors Requesting Reviews (ARR) program from The Nexus Goodreads group from author;
**Also posted on Amazon.com under Leanne

Herfst succeeds in writing a hilarious and entertaining story in the zombie genre. I loved the uniqueness of using the zombie, Zed, as the narrator as he survives his new way of life and his encounters with humans, ultimately developing a friendship with a young woman, Chase. I thoroughly enjoyed the world-building Herfst describes with the di
Martha (Still here...I think)
Title: Zed
Author: Stephen Herfst
Rating: 3.5/5

Summary: Zed is not your typical zombie, cursed with thought instead of being the mindless, brain chewing typical zombie. He just wants a few things – improved stride, a lightly seared pork loin, and to avoid the Activists at all costs. That’s all. Chaos soon rears its head in his life in the form of Chase, and now the “fun” begins.

Review: I’m fully ready for the Zombie apocalypse, though if the Zombies are like Zed…things might get really interesting
Melanie Cusick-Jones

Let's start with the obvious: Bruce Willis was wrong - Zed's not dead, he's undead - which is way more fun!

I am a big sucker for zombie films, but have never actually read a book about them before - so this could go one of two ways. Thankfully for me - this is a great zombie book! I loved the quirky idea of seeing everything from a zombie point of view - albeit a very smart, Mr Darcy-esque zombie in his thoughts and language. Because he is a smart 'thinking' zombie Zed is an interesting creature
Emily Guido
I love humor and paranormal characters and so… I loved this book by Stephen Herfst, “Zed”. Let me just tell you, the book struck me as funny from the first of it with zombies, gummies, activists, and zombies working in the food industry was “unfreakingly” funny! I was actually rolling in some parts of this book and the scenes with the roadtrip with “Chase” were also fun to read. Herfst has the built in ability to make a subject that usually is truly gory into something that is normal, comical an ...more
Mark Smith
Right from the get-go, you can tell this book is different. I'd say any author trying to spin a work in the zombie-apocalypse genre is pretty brave, considering how the market is full to over-flowing lately. But Herfst doesn't take you down the normal "bash zombies in the head to survive" path, but instead puts you inside the head of a zombie who's got a bit more consideration for the world around him.

The book is clever and witty and imaginative and made for a good read. I would have liked to ha
Juana
Zed is just so different from the rest of the zombies he is smart and is almost like a human, except for his color and that he can't die by getting shot unless it's on the head.

It was a total new story for me. Seeing the story through a zombies eyes and reading about his adventures ever since he met Chase was pretty fascinating and entertaining. The only thing I didn't like was that it ended but I know there will be a continuation with more adventures and the end really left me wondering what w
Catrina Barton
I received this e-book free in exchange for a review. I've never read a Zombie book before, so I'm excited to try something new.

The Good:

It's refreshing to read something from a zombie's point of view. I enjoyed the humor Mr. Herfst threaded in, complimented the story keeping it from being too dark.

The Bad:

I came across several mistakes, mostly minor typos. The formatting was clunky.

The accents threw me for a loop. I had to re-read those lines a few times before they made sense.

I didn't like the
Mirely
There’s something about zombies that doesn’t necessarily call my attention. It could be that I’m a bit chicken about dead things eating living things. When the author reached out to me to read this book he was so nice about the whole thing that I had to give it a try. He gifted me a code but I didn’t use it in time. Because I promised to read/review I went ahead and purchased it. I’m really glad I did.

This story is so unique and so well put together that I couldn’t help but to be in awe. It was
Lynxie
Dec 17, 2012 Lynxie rated it 3 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: Zombie fans and YA fans
Zed was a slightly different look at the zombie apocalypse, it was different in that the POV was from Zed, a slightly more human zombie. I enjoyed his inner dialogue, even when he occasionally rambled on about things that were a little trivial. Couple his inner dialogue with the rambunctious Chase and you have yourself the makings of an interesting tale.

Zed grows as a character throughout the story, he was initially one-dimensional and flat, much like the zombie he should be, but by the end of t
Rachael Woohoo
For more of my reviews, check out my blog @ Moosubi Reviews!

Disclaimer: The fact that I received a free copy of this book in exchange for an honest review has not affected my rating. This review expresses my honest opinions.

Wow. Definitely a different read. My past experience with zombie books only includes Z by j, where you kill zombies mercilessly as a game and Taste by Kate Evangelista, which has numerous paranormal zombie guys that are as beautiful as gods, Zed another side of zombies as abo
Laura Thomas
I am at a loss to describe how much I enjoyed reading this book. I did a blog post just about getting ready to review it, and then I reread it so that Zed would be fresh in my mind. So much is wanting to be said.
Imagine being the only zombie who can think. Do you belong with other zombies or should you avoid them? You would have to wonder, why me? Why am I the only one, and where do I belong?
Zed chooses a life of seclusion, away from zombies and humans alike. That is until one eventful evening w
Ambyr
I received this book from the Author for an honest review. The only bias-ness that I give a review in ARR is for some grammar/spelling issues; as I know that they will be fixed (usually).

So this book review is totally honest.

Zed is not your typical Zombie. He thinks, takes pride in his walk (not to shuffle like the rest of the zees), and has a passion for reading and learning. He doesn't eat humans, but doesn't look down upon his brethren for their ingrained ways.
And his entire life changes wh
Jennifer R  Ricketts
I signed up through the ARR program on Goodreads to receive a copy of this book in exchange for an honest review.

I loved the interesting twist on the zombie genre this story presented and haven't laughed so hard about a zombie apocalypse since the movie Shaun of the Dead. On an interesting side note, Shaun of the Dead was on TV yesterday, and one of the characters called a zombie a "zed." I immediately thought of this book and loved it! I do want to point out that though I thought of this book,
Sherry Fundin
Zed is cursed by thought, making him different from all the other zombies. He doesn't like Activists. He does like TV and books, which is how he has educated himself. One day as he was quietly reading, he heard a commotion. He finds a girl running from a zombie, and the zombie has a pair of GI boots. He already has a helmet, now he wants those boots. After he finishes off the zombie he goes for the girl. For some strange reason he doesn't kill her. He tries to act like a real zombie so the girl ...more
Dawn Vanniman
I received this book from the author in exchange for an honest review.

I liked this book. I really did. BUT...I think I would have liked it even better if I hadn't read WARM BODIES by Isaac Marion first. They have a similar theme, but are very different books.

Like R (WARM BODIES), Zed isn't your typical zombie. He doesn't care to hunt and eat people, in fact, her prefers deer or pork. He also reads, watches tv, 'lives' in a house and works on his stride. Yes, his stride. See, he doesn't want to l
Mallory Heart Reviews
I wholeheartedly enjoyed “Zed,” a hilarious spin on the zombie trend that simultaneously ensures a deeper look and concentration of thought on some serious issues-such as consciousness and compassion, survival and surrender, humanity and inhumanity, do-goodism vs. government and military, and more. I literally chuckled or even laughed aloud on almost every page, but as I was laughing, I was also learning and pondering.

While I was laughing and learning, I was also racing through the pages, becaus
Scott Collins
I'm not much of a zombie fan and I'm almost ashamed to admit I picked up this book based on its cover. Almost. Zed follows the exploits of Zed, an out of the ordinary zombie who lives a life of seclusion, trying to avoid contact with the various human groups out to capture or kill all zombies. Much to his dismay, he is forced into the company of a teenage girl. The two then set off on a wild adventure to save themselves, and in the process each other.

I loved the characters. Each had an independ
Rawan
I would rate this as 3.5/4 stars .

I received this book through the ARR program , however my review will not be effected regardless of how I got this book .

I have always been looking for a funny Zombie book but they never work either the zombies kill the humor or the author tries too hard to be funny , however this book wasn't that , it was simply great .

you can tell this book is different from he first glance , the author is smart , witty and has good use of sarcasm , the character development
Deska
Wow! I really like this story a lot!

I always love stories that involved zombies. This one gives something else other than just ordinary Zombie stories where most of them are pictured as monsters.

Zed is a sassy, intelligent, competitive zombie! I really like his sassiness! He is the only zombie that can think! probably because the use of some drugs when he was captured. Then the story started to evolve into something more when he met with Chase, the human girl.. Their friendship is although viewe
Austin
This was a different take on zombies that was very interesting and enjoyable. Zed as a character was interesting and he made this story even more likeable. Can't wait to read more Zed books.
Felicia
Felicia marked it as to-read
Nov 10, 2014
Rebecca Kennedy
Rebecca Kennedy marked it as to-read
Nov 09, 2014
« previous 1 3 4 next »
If you like my writing, you can vote for me here - every vote helps :)

If I had to define myself in a few words, it would be:
"Reserved, outgoing, thinking, reflective, driven, lazy, observant, competitive, confident, doubtful"

Depending on my mood, the topic and the people around me, I can be many things. When I began life I wanted to be a programmer but now I just want to be independent. I am al
More about Stephen Herfst...

“It is meant to be survival of the fittest, not survival of the most floral.” 3 likes
“Constantly thinking gets quite tiresome.
'Tell me ‘bout it,’ she says, although I doubt her sincerity.”
2 likes